HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 6:24 PM
The City

Illinois property owners sue over Pritzker's eviction ban

Quote:
CHICAGO (CBS) — The Illinois Rental Property Owners Association is joining the legal fight against Governor JB Pritzker and his moratorium on evictions.

As of now, evictions are on hold across the state until July due to COVID-19.

But a number of landlords are suing to regain access to the courts.

They argue some people who are not impacted by the coronavirus outbreak are taking advantage of Pritzker’s order as a way to avoid paying their rent.

Thursday afternoon, Pritzker defended his eviction ban during his latest briefing on COVID-19.

“It’s important for us to stand up for people who are working class, people who cannot otherwise afford to maintain their home. We do not want people to become homeless in this difficult crisis,” he said.
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/06...-on-evictions/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
The current system disincentivizes marriage by giving single parents larger welfare benefits. Instead, larger benefits should be given to those who have two parent households.

Fathers impact children more than any government program.
That may very well be true, but I don't think you'd want to incentive fathers to stick around with monetary benefits. Seems like that would lead to domestic violence. There are no easy answers to social problems.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 1:56 PM

is this the new concern trolling thread?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 3:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ it's become the thread where i dump all of the idiotic axe-grinding from the political shitheads to keep the useful threads of this forum on track.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:49 AM

LOL here's something a little more interesting. Chicago made one of these lists in a positive way:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor.../#9ebad6760a68

"Chicago received more home shopping attention on Zillow this year than it did last, with the majority of traffic coming from St. Louis, Milwaukee and Boston.

Chicago is one of the most affordable big cities in the country,” Tucker says. “Millennials are getting older, many are approaching 30, which is the age range when people are moving from renting to owning. These are people that don’t have a big nest egg to put down but they still want to be in a city, so places like Chicago are appealing.”

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
LOL here's something a little more interesting. Chicago made one of these lists in a positive way:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor.../#9ebad6760a68

"Chicago received more home shopping attention on Zillow this year than it did last, with the majority of traffic coming from St. Louis, Milwaukee and Boston.

Chicago is one of the most affordable big cities in the country,” Tucker says. “Millennials are getting older, many are approaching 30, which is the age range when people are moving from renting to owning. These are people that don’t have a big nest egg to put down but they still want to be in a city, so places like Chicago are appealing.”
Impressive, but not surprising. I used to travel all around the country for work and am still amazed at what people think is worth high a cost of living. Chicago is an amazing city in the entire world let alone the US which is almost entirely shitty..

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 1:52 AM

I was bored and started looking at seattle buildings and one Chicago would be Seattle's tallest skyscraper and its gonna be our 8th tallest. Chicago and New York city really are on another level when it comes to skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolover88 View Post
I was bored and started looking at seattle buildings and one Chicago would be Seattle's tallest skyscraper and its gonna be our 8th tallest. Chicago and New York city really are on another level when it comes to skyscrapers
One day we will over take New York to have the tallest building in America, with or without spire

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolover88 View Post
To be fair, One Chicago would be the 17th tallest in NYC. It really is NYC in a stratosphere of it's own, with Chicago the clear #2 in the US.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:07 AM
The City

Editorial: No Congressional bailout for Illinois

Quote:
With Congress debating another relief package to protect the economy from the coronavirus pandemic, state governments likely will receive federal money to offset revenue losses, Illinois included.

Please, Washington: Don’t turn this fifth go-round in COVID-19 aid into a bailout of poorly managed states like ours.

Any money flowing to Illinois should come with strings attached to ensure federal money is reserved strictly for the purpose of addressing virus-related losses. Insist that funds coming here are commensurate with those going to other states. Demand transparency for every dime spent. Don’t let federal aid for a global health pandemic expand into a rescue effort of Illinois for its decades of reckless state government spending.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...wye-story.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 11:43 PM

Man, that last one is just the biggest hodgepodge of architecture. Honestly, not the most flattering perspective, imo.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Man, that last one is just the biggest hodgepodge of architecture. Honestly, not the most flattering perspective, imo.
================================================================================================

Yeah, if only architects could be less creative and we could all reduce our creative impulses, the monotony would be a great liberation from the pain inflicted upon our

dulled minds!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 6:48 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Yeah... the lighting is awful for a shot from that angle. Makes everything sort of blend together in the worst possible way.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 7:32 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
BMO parcel can be seen below (red crane).

8-17-20 pm (43) by BartShore, on Flickr
Hopefully between this and the OPO, more development will be driven south of the Congress (in our brave Post-COVID future, I guess). The area between the Congress and Polk, which lies between the CBD and a major research university, is criminally underused.

Also, there better be a stunt planned for that temporarily-truncated Circle Interchange Ramp.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 11:28 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Hopefully between this and the OPO, more development will be driven south of the Congress (in our brave Post-COVID future, I guess). The area between the Congress and Polk, which lies between the CBD and a major research university, is criminally underused.

Also, there better be a stunt planned for that temporarily-truncated Circle Interchange Ramp.
Pretty much everything from Congress down to Roosevelt, actually. I'd imagine that it won't be too many years before many of the empty lots and simple warehouse buildings along Clinton and Jefferson will be turned into mid and highrises. Desplaines as well.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 2:09 AM

^^I hope so....It's always been under utilized. There's basically nothing on Taylor St. anymore... a few Italian restaurants and housing projects....that's the way it was 10-11 years ago anyway.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 5:11 AM

The two UIC parking garages along the expressway are asking for something good. Especially the Halsted one.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Pretty much everything from Congress down to Roosevelt, actually. I'd imagine that it won't be too many years before many of the empty lots and simple warehouse buildings along Clinton and Jefferson will be turned into mid and highrises. Desplaines as well.

Aaron (Glowrock)
What's sort of interesting about this corridor though is that it's almost all zoned DS- Downtown Service. I've seen a handful of proposals for residential on Clinton/Jefferson in the area that have ultimately been shelved due to the alderman wanting to retain "services" proximal to downtown.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 9:27 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
What's sort of interesting about this corridor though is that it's almost all zoned DS- Downtown Service. I've seen a handful of proposals for residential on Clinton/Jefferson in the area that have ultimately been shelved due to the alderman wanting to retain "services" proximal to downtown.
In that case, the alderman is an imbecile. I understand the need to keep some Loop-adjacent property available at a price-point where service-oriented companies can stay in business and thrive, but so much of the current land is in terrible repair and/or vacant of any building whatsoever. This would be a perfect area for reasonably-priced (by Loop-adjacent standards) housing, perhaps 10-20 stories, not anything fancy but what I'd call "upper-middle" in furnishings, size and design. The fact that nobody really lives in the area makes it a bit of a potentially dangerous place to walk at night due to the homeless population as well as the Greyhound terminal, among others.

Even I'm not a fan of the walk from the Clinton Blue Line station (which is sorely in need of renovation!) down to where I worked at the Binny's on Jefferson near Roosevelt. (Thankfully I'm now much, much closer to home at the Logan Square location! )

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Yeah... the lighting is awful for a shot from that angle. Makes everything sort of blend together in the worst possible way.
So you say you disagree?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest