HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:13 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
https://www.cpr.org/news/story/rtd-e...racks-projects

Pretty cool article about RTD and finishing the light rail. If I understood it correctly, if we were to approve a .1% sale and use tax hike we could have it all finished by 2040 which I would totally support. Also got me thinking that if Denver were to pass a 1% sales tax or an increase in the income tax couldn’t that fund a wide scale street car system?
Why in God's name would we piss money away on a goddamn streetcar system with a freaking ~10% increase to our sales tax rate that would make Denver the most expensive city in the metro area to sell consumable goods?

Denver currently has a sales tax rate of 4.31% after we voted for all sorts of goodies last year and Denver pulls in about $700M from sales and use taxes. Increasing it by 1% would put the overall sales tax burden in Denver at 9.31%- the most expensive in the metro area. Assuming that there is no price sensitivity by Denver peeps, and that they don't decide to hop on over to Aurora to make purchases at cheaper rates, such a sales tax would generate about $190M in new revenue. This new revenue could support about $2B in bonding, with $90M leftover for O&M of a new system. $2B could build maybe three corridors in a city with 20 transit corridors in desperate need of improvement.

I'd put that $2B towards a shit-ton of upgrades to our bus system rather than three vanity projects. Really, I wouldn't put a 1% tax increase on the ballot, but would look at a rideshare usage tax, kill the scholarship and food desert tax, a .25% sales tax for transit, and a property tax increase with the cumulative amount approaching $150M to 175M and seeking form grants elsewhere to bridge the capital gap.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:13 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
The first building permit application for Kenect Denver has been submitted to the City.

Yes. This project is the game changer for Arapahoe Square in terms of design and street activation. Excited to see this move forward.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:59 PM

Cut me some slack
I'm well removed from the bowels of tech

But in honor of your Special Day, I read a delightful CNN piece all about You.
Congratulations on your unconventional IPO; mid-day you're flying high, up 60 percent from the opening.
Lastly, Slack, you made a smart choice in expanding to Denver.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/20/tech/...ons/index.html
Quote:
Better yet, think of coworking space provider WeWork, with its promise of delivering office culture as a service. Slack does that too, but online rather than in a physical space... Slack is the new office watercooler. It is the work environment you have when you're stuck at your desk for hours and can't hover by the glorious office plant wall or the craft beer taps in the kitchen.

Slack is where you welcome new employees with a procession of GIFs. It's where companies divide themselves between channels devoted to cats and channels devoted to dogs.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Cut me some slack

Congratulations on your unconventional IPO; mid-day you're flying high, up 60 percent from the opening.

There's another big SF tech company about to open a major office in Denver, also begins with an S. Should be announced in a few weeks...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Cut me some slack

Speaking of Slack, they have their tramp-stamp on 16 Chestnut now. If you walk by on the sidewalk, they have a pretty slick looking atrium with their logo in on the wall.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:17 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1530 View Post
There's another big SF tech company about to open a major office in Denver, also begins with an S. Should be announced in a few weeks...

...alesforce?

Last edited by wong21fr; Jun 21, 2019 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:27 PM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
Hmmm..... From what I could quickly grab before being booted for not being a paid member, it looks like the two companies listed in this article are not Salesforce. The big one they mention is already here in CO (correct me if I am wrong). The other doesn't seem to jive with what Salesforce is, and I think the article says the second company is a whole sale HQ relocation, yes?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
...aleforce?
Supposedly they are/were hunting for a good chunk of space in the 250k sf rang. That would be enough to fill T3.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 6:58 PM

Is BusinessDen trying to become the Pepsi to DenverInfill's Coke? https://businessden.com/2019/06/21/p...efd2-148090113

If so, I'm excited. I'm just glad that we have passionate urbanists like Ryan, Ken, and Thomas that are willing to document development in the city at no cost to us.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Supposedly they are/were hunting for a good chunk of space in the 250k sf rang. That would be enough to fill T3.
Any mention of where Checkr is going to build out their HQ?

Also, has anyone heard anything about the apartment tower that was proposed on the old city hall site?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:

Also, has anyone heard anything about the apartment tower that was proposed on the old city hall site?
I believe that you are referring to the Bell Tower. Last I heard, the lower downtown design review board was not a big fan of the design, particularly the all-glass look.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 9:34 PM

I was in Rino today, and it appears work has started on this small project near the 38th Street station. So many projects are under construction in this area!

https://vertexeng.com/projects/blake-street-mine/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 2:59 AM

Quote:

From what I know, Checkr is still shopping around, but they want to be in/around DUS. They currently have a small team in the WeWork by the capitol, but are looking to relocate to the WeWork on 16th/Wewatta while they find a permanent home.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwill04 View Post
I was in Rino today, and it appears work has started on this small project near the 38th Street station. So many projects are under construction in this area!

https://vertexeng.com/projects/blake-street-mine/
It looks like phase II of the HUB started construction as well.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 2:01 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keesy9 View Post
It looks like phase II of the HUB started construction as well.
https://denverinfill.com/blog/2019/0...-update-4.html

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
I believe that you are referring to the Bell Tower. Last I heard, the lower downtown design review board was not a big fan of the design, particularly the all-glass look.
Yes, they were sent back to the drawing board, as it were. It was less the glass of the tower and more the general massing that LDDRB had an issue with. Base, middle, top and all that. Difficult to do with a 400' tower, but there you have it. The smaller office component on the 14th side of the Creek was really, really poorly considered. They knew they would have to conform 100% to the LoDo design regs on that part of the site, and it's like they never even opened the pdf to see what those regs were. Got slapped on the wrist by LDDRB in the first presentation they made. Has been quiet since, although I've not heard that the deal with Kairoi has fallen through yet.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Pros:

The station won't be facing a parking garage, but a relatively nice looking office building with retail.

Cons:

Denver Eagle died for this.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishko27 View Post
Pros:

The station won't be facing a parking garage, but a relatively nice looking office building with retail.

Cons:

Denver Eagle died for this.
Spot on, man.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 7:11 PM

Any updates/rumors on the greyhound block?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West