HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It's funny how the Argos have been a mostly sad sack team for the last decade plus, yet they managed to eke out those two surprise Grey Cups in that timespan.

Signed,

Frustrated Bomber Fan
Yeah, kind of bizarre. It seems like all they need to do is make it to the Grey Cup and they win. Mind you Calgary handed them their last Grey cup win, maybe it was an early Christmas gift lol.

Speaking of the Stamps. A win over the league's top team, it seems like they are getting in gear now that Bo Levi is back. I still think the Bombers are the best in the league, hopefully they can pull it out this year.

FWIW, the Argos, have won 5 grey Cups, since the Bombers last won a grey cup. I think Calgary has won 6 since then. The Bombers are due.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 1:11 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I would say the opposite, aside from the tweet above about the Schooners, Ambrosie has tried to keep things fairly silent, it's other people doing the talking. He did comment on the Lenkovs and I get the feeling he still wants them to be the principal owners but he might be trying to broker a deal to get some of the other prospective people (like Lapointe) to get on board.

Besides, you have to walk a fine line between keeping people engaged and still interested but not raising expectations too high as LeBlanc has done (but he's learning). Still though, I would rather hear about things going on and make my own decisions, unfortunately some people just feel hell bent on being negative with really no reason for that.

The Als and Lions will be sold, just as the Argos were and people moaned and groaned about that back in the day.

I come on here and see the same guy posting whenever there is bad news (always ratings or attendance) and wishing the league was dying (not talking about you screamingviking). Yes, they aren't as good as they were but neither is almost everybody else.

The landscape for consuming content is changing and the doom and gloomers are comparing the league to it's own great legacy from the past. But as I've posted in the ratings charts above the league ain't doing too bad, is it, for content that is cable only and geared to a Canadian audience and not a big international league.

It's easy to be negative, I can't see why people aren't more positive towards this league. Hell, even American fans seem to like it more than some I've seen post in various places. I guess some Canadians like to eat their own.
I agree with you completely about negativity regarding the CFL. Despite hitting the lowest of lows, the bankruptcies and folds and revivals of two franchises and many of the other teams facing grim death at one time or another, she has survived and now thrives. Canadian football is as tough off the field as on it. The naysayers have slim basis for their BS.

Re: Montreal, to me Ambrosie is where the buck stops when it comes to a league-run team. The Board of Governors holds the ultimate power, but Randy is the face of it. The ship has been leaky but as captain I feel he should be plugging the gaps and putting the mouths into the brig. TSN and others will no doubt find "sources" but there has been far too much news about Montreal ownership bids, prospective and failed.

I want to see some positive development for the Als, and same for the Lions without the same kind of media drama.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 1:18 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Speaking of the Stamps. A win over the league's top team, it seems like they are getting in gear now that Bo Levi is back. I still think the Bombers are the best in the league, hopefully they can pull it out this year.
Today's game was brutal to watch for Ticats fans. Had the Stamps on the ropes and kept giving them opportunities to win, without adjusting enough to keep drives going in the second half. Full marks to Calgary for sticking with it right to the end: the forced turnovers didn't hurt the Cats as much as they could have, but Calgary's D came to play in the second half and their special teams sealed a victory with that blocked FG.

Great game overall though. Low score, but plenty of entertainment.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 2:11 AM

Two very entertaining games today. Stamps always seem to find a way to win. Gut check game for the Riders.

Love the CFL

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 12:25 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Here come the Stamps ...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 12:53 AM

A couple of barn burners this weekend

Ticats edge Esks with last-second field goal
CFL.ca Staff September 21 2019

EDMONTON — Lirim Hajrullahu kicked a 34-yard game-winning field goal (bad snap and off the goalpost - elly) as time expired to lift the Hamilton Tiger-Cats over the Edmonton Eskimos with a 30-27 road win on Friday night. The Ticats survived a 24-point comeback to earn the victory, improving their record to 10-3 while clinching a playoff spot.

TSN CFL: Tiger-Cats vs. Eskimos

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 12:53 AM

Als complete incredible last-minute comeback against Bombers

MONTREAL — Vernon Adams jr. led an incredible fourth quarter comeback to lift the Montreal Alouettes over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers with a 38-37 home win on Saturday. The Als scored 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter, and Adams engineered a 94-yard game-winning drive in the final minute that ended with a 15-yard touchdown pass to Jake Wieneke.

Adams Jr. leads Alouettes in fourth to seal wild comeback win
TSN.ca September 21 2019

Montreal set a franchise record with their 24-point comeback win over the Blue Bombers which was capped by a perfect final drive. Rod Black and Matt Dunigan break down the wild finish.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:17 AM

Als drew 19,070 today shows crowds are picking up. Hopefully with new owners next year and marketing they can sell out Stade Molson again like in the Calvillo years. The big comeback today should mean good tv ratings again and Adams looks like a real superstar in the making who is made for CFL football. He looks like a young Damon Allen.

Argos still suck they are mediocre in every facet of the game gotta blow that sucker up and start from scratch ie new coach, new gm and new qb needed next year and a team president who doesn't have to run Toronto FC at the same time would help.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:09 AM

Long-term Ottawa season ticket holder here. The current team is perhaps the worst Ottawa team I have seen since I became a fan in the 1960s. That says a lot after all the bad years in the 1980s, 1990s and the Renegade era. This team is horrible.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:32 AM

Young Riders fan has best reaction to receiving jersey
CFL.ca Staff September 17 2019

Rider fans go hard, we already know this. But this young fan of the green and white took things to a whole new level.

Emery met Zack Evans last year at Grey Cup and the Roughriders D-lineman recently sent her a care package that included his jersey. Little Emery’s reaction was everything.

Take a look at link for video:

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:09 PM

The 4th quarter of yesterday's Bomber game was like watching a slow motion car wreck... the secondary was the block of butter to Vernon Adams' hot knife. They just got shredded out there... it reminded me of that final drive of the LDC when the defense was simply helpless.

Just when I was getting over that loss to Toronto, they go out and lay this egg. With that kind of inability to finish I just don't think this team has what it takes to go all the way in 2019.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:34 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Long-term Ottawa season ticket holder here. The current team is perhaps the worst Ottawa team I have seen since I became a fan in the 1960s. That says a lot after all the bad years in the 1980s, 1990s and the Renegade era. This team is horrible.
The Redblacks are easily the worst team in the CFL this season. Not even close.
A completely disorganized and dysfunctional offense, and an undermanned defense.

The best players on this team are the place kicker and punter, and that's been the case all season.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Als complete incredible last-minute comeback against Bombers

MONTREAL — Vernon Adams jr. led an incredible fourth quarter comeback to lift the Montreal Alouettes over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers with a 38-37 home win on Saturday. The Als scored 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter, and Adams engineered a 94-yard game-winning drive in the final minute that ended with a 15-yard touchdown pass to Jake Wieneke.

Adams Jr. leads Alouettes in fourth to seal wild comeback win
TSN.ca September 21 2019

Montreal set a franchise record with their 24-point comeback win over the Blue Bombers which was capped by a perfect final drive. Rod Black and Matt Dunigan break down the wild finish.
When the Alouettes scored at the end, one of the shots RDS showed was their on-field studio announcers Matthieu Proulx and Bruno Heppell jumping up and down, high-fiving and bro-hugging.

Not something you'd see on TSN!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:07 PM

It's amazing to compare the Als this year to last year and the gong show it was with Manziel and even in June with the Kavis Reed fiasco. Montreal has beaten Calgary, Hamilton and Winnipeg the 3 best teams in the league they have a legit shot this year.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 4:41 PM

Two games this week that help the CFLs credo of its never over until it's over.

Not cool seeing Adam's rip off a bombers' helmet and take a swing with it. I mean if that's not attempt to injure I'm not sure what is. Probably had a case to be tossed. I doubt a suspension happens but a fine needs to happen. As emotional as the game is there is no need for that.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
It's amazing to compare the Als this year to last year and the gong show it was with Manziel and even in June with the Kavis Reed fiasco.
You should listen to ol' elly, I called it last year

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 11:18 PM

Burt Reynolds was an Als fan, wondering if this is the latest celeb to back the Alouettes.

Canadian tennis phenom Bianca Andreescu honoured at Alouettes game
3Down Staff 3downnation - September 21, 2019

Canadian tennis star Bianca Andreescu was honoured at the Montreal Alouettes game Saturday.

Andreescu defeated 23-time grand slam winner Serena Williams to claim the 2019 U.S. Open and become the first Canadian ever to win a major tennis title.

The 19-year-old spent lots of time in Montreal honing her skills at Tennis Canada’s national training centre. Her coach Sylvain Bruneau is based out of La Belle Province. Andreescu was in Montreal to resume training following a whirlwind media tour and celebrations in Toronto and Mississauga.

She’s become known for her mental toughness, strong mental focus and never say die attitude, which is exactly what she witnessed at Percival Molson Stadium during an improbable comeback by the Alouettes.

Bianca shooting some video on the sideline

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 11:25 PM

It just keeps getting better and better for the Als

Last edited by elly63; Sep 23, 2019 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:35 AM
Ham-burgher

Video Link

Great that she was at the game. And I hope the Als can remove those tarps and get more folks into Percival Molson, this revival is a wonderful thing.

And damn right Adams deserves a fine, perhaps a suspension if the league holds itself to its own accountabilities. Can't excuse that BS, it was after the play and totally out of line. Bighill could have been seriously hurt if the helmet had made contact with his head.

Quote:
It just keeps getting better and better for the Als

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 4:12 AM

That Bomber game made me want to hurl. Second huge blown lead of the season. Absolutely inexcusable.

Andreescu won $3.5 million US for winning the US open. I think she had also won $6 million total on the tour this year. The wheels are starting to turn in my head. Perhaps Ambrosie should meet with her and ask if she would be a willing part owner of the Als along with whatever group he is currently courting. It would lighten the load for them. C'mon Bianca whaddya say?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada