HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:17 AM

OC Car Crash Noir

I might be wrong, but I don't think anybody's mentioned the Mell Kilpatrick book. Read about it here and here and here.

Here are some photos that aren't in the book:

Main & Newport, Tustin, 2/4/55, looking west on Newport.

I'm guessing this one is Santa Ana, given the Santa Ana University Beauty School neon.

Note the Orange Drive-In in the bg. It's 1951 and they're running New Mexico and Lost Continent.

Somewhere near Garden Grove, evidently.

Somewhere near beer, evidently.

For my next trick, a little piece of then & now, courtesy of Google Maps Street View...

...4th & Bristol, Santa Ana...hard to believe it's still there and this intact!

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:16 PM

^^^That's so cool....and what a great before/after photo.
Some of the original deco signage is still intact.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:45 PM

I'm also amazed by the then/now photo. The utility pole even looks like it's in the same place.

And Beaudry those were really interesting articles about the Engstrum Hotel. I'm not sure when it was torn down, I assume it was when the Library Tower was approved for construction?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:55 PM

I like the people in these two photos.

usc digital archive

Above: The only info on this one was Hill Street.

LAMAT

Above: Hill at 6th St. in 1946

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

The idea that we could have one remaining Bunker Hill hotel enchants me. Especially since it was apparently in good hands.

[
what year was the Engstrum torn down?

the latest photo that i can find that i definitively see it in, is this aerial from 1983

LAPL

I can't tell for sure if it's still standing in this 1986 aerial photo of the library fire

UCLA Digital Collection

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 6:26 PM

A robbery at 930 W. Manchester in Inglewood, 1957.

I love the different venues with their 'noir' sounding names....The Beacon, Vida's Cafe, and the Mayflower Ballroom.

All the following images are from the UCLA digital archive.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 14, 2010 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 7:09 PM

The victims being loaded in to the ambulance at that Inglewood bar robbery in your 2nd to last photo above, here are two closeups of the care and treatment they received

LAPL

LAPL

I love how the paramedics tend to em with with complimentary lucky strikes in the meat wagon......LSMFT BABY!

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I like the people in these two photos.

usc digital archive

Above: The only info on this one was Hill Street.
This is actually the SW corner of Hill & 11th, catty-corner to the Belasco Theatre.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 7:20 PM

^^^Thanks for the info LASpaceCadet.

Amazingly, the Mayflower Ballroom (the second to last photo in post #1266) is still open for business.
It is the only original, freestanding ballroom left in Southern California.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 14, 2010 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 7:55 PM

Vehicle vs. Bar Noir

Bus crashes into bar at Western and Century January 25th, 1962

I love this photo

USC Digital Archives

no one seems to notice that a bus just crashed through the storefront of the bar, (you hear anything?...no not me, i'm just wondering why the cigarette machine don't work)................ i hope that customer seated 2nd to the end brought some credible identification!

The scene outside

USC Digital Archives

uh-boy, i sure hope she's got insurance.
Proprietor Duane Allingham looks disconsolately at damaged bar after car driven by Mrs. Claudia Parker had 're-opened it' for him early yesterday morning.

USC Digital Archive

Both king and knave will drink with joy

Car slams into Ole King Cole Room of the Monarch Hotel at Figueroa and 5th Streets, 18 June 1957

USC Digital Archive

I love the quote behind the bar, "I only drink on occasions and this is an occasion"!.....................true.....true.......

New years party at a bar at Western and Melrose gets crashed...............(no one seems to mind.....or care)

USC Digital Archive

The scene outside

USC Digital Archive

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Besides the Mayflower Ballroom, guess what else is still alive? Well...sort of. The for sale sign must mean its future is uncertain.

And the car wash is still a car wash...though googieized with big fins, now...(that's the Jet Car Wash at 941 Manchester)...

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post

I love how the paramedics tend to em with with complimentary lucky strikes in the meat wagon......LSMFT BABY!
Their course of treatment probably also included lots of bourbon and red meat!

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 8:42 PM

Quote:

I can't tell for sure if it's still standing in this 1986 aerial photo of the library fire

UCLA Digital Collection
That is hard to tell. But I think the Engstrum is gone because you've got the Edison against Grand, and next to it that big square abuts Hope. It could be the roof of the Engstrum but the footprint of the Engstrum didn't extend to Hope. I think it's a construction pit (or, more accurately, a demo pit). Of course, First Interstate Bank didn't buy the air rights from the library til after the April '86 fire, and I've read that construction began in June of '87. Hmmm.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 9:41 PM

OMG....Beaudry that's a great find.
Even the Beacon Lounge is still there.

gsjansen, the 'cars in bars' photos are great.
I like your captions....you're pretty funny.

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 2:34 PM

Then and Then.......30 years apart

I happened to stumble upon these two photos which appear to each have been taken from the same room in the Westminster hotel at the corner of 4th and main.......30 years apart

USC Digital Archives

USC Digital Archives

this next photo is taken from the Westminster in as well in 1885. This photo is looking due west towards bunker hill. I am only including it, as i was stunned by this particular perspective, that truly shows the Victorian beauty of the core of los angeles in the 19th century.

USC

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 3:27 PM

Lightbulb Finally.....an aerial showing beaudry's house

I have been looking since we discovered the exact location of Prudent Beaudry's house, for an aerial or a eastward looking photo from Fort Moore Hill showing the house.

Every image that i viewed, either the angle just missed showing the house, or it had already been demolished.

i just found this aerial looking north east up main street showing chinatown as the proposed location of union square.

the roof of the beaudry house is clearly visible at the intersection of republic and new high streets at the lower left.

USC Digital Archives

i do not know the exact year that the photo was taken, i am guessing, (as it has to have been taken from a high elevation of city hall), that this photo is dated around 1928.

as a bonus, the open courtyard of pico house is clearly visible

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 3:50 PM

this morning is just a plethora of finds!

Photograph of a Rendall panoramic drawing of Los Angeles, ca.1869. The buildings and streets of the panorama are individually numbered and listed above the panorama, (bless their little hearts!).

the panorama is taken from poundcake hill, future site of the high school, then the court house, now the criminal courts building

USC Digital Archive

i am currently sufferin' from clinical LA historical mode euphoria! (i don't need no doctor, for what's ailin' me!)

Last edited by gsjansen; May 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 6:22 PM

view looking east from the Engstrum

this 1910 view looking east must be from the Engstrum as that is definitely the intersection of 5th and grand.

a very nice view of Pershing square before this view was obliterated by the construction of the Edison building. boyhowdy! man did this joint get hemmed in but quick by surrounding structures down the road.

what with beaudry's posting of the happy fella on the north side of the Engstrum, and this image on the east side.....dayum, this joint offered at one time, some of the finest view wise hotel rooms in town! I'd love to find a view looking west before the construction of the Sunkist building

USC Digital Archive

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 8:09 PM

Quote:
this 1910 view looking east must be from the Engstrum as that is definitely the intersection of 5th and grand.

a very nice view of Pershing square before this view was obliterated by the construction of the Edison building. boyhowdy! man did this joint get hemmed in but quick by surrounding structures down the road.

what with beaudry's posting of the happy fella on the north side of the Engstrum, and this image on the east side.....dayum, this joint offered at one time, some of the finest view wise hotel rooms in town! I'd love to find a view looking west before the construction of the Sunkist building

USC Digital Archive
Great pic! Looking at it, I can see the back of the First German United Methodist Church, which was completed the year that photo was taken. It was next to the San Carlos Hotel, which I see used to have a more ornate facade, though this backside of it has a more utilitarian brick facing.

Here's the San Carlos Hotel some 40 years later. By then the ornate details had been stripped. Next to it in the left of the photo is the Biltmore Garage, which dates from the 1920s; I find it interesting that it's a multi-level parking structure from the '20s, and they even made some effort to make it look like an ordinary building. I also find it interesting that for the Googies restaurant on the corner, they mimicked the roofline of what would be a free-standing Googies restaurant. You can barely make out the top of the Edison Building, as well as the bottom floor of the Methodist Church.

yesterdayla.com

Here's the San Carlos Hotel and First German United Methodist Church in their waning years, circa 1985. These and the adjacent Biltmore Garage would be demolished for construction of the Gas Company Tower, which opened in 1993, I think. In this photo you can also see the construction of the tower addition to the Biltmore Hotel, which would also include parking for the hotel.

USC Archive

The church has since moved to Glendale; apparently they are a German-speaking congregation: Welcome to the First German 'Speaking' United Methodist Church in greater L.A.

Here's that block from its more halcyon days, circa 1928:

LAPL

The building to the right is a telephone exchange building. Believe it or not, it still exists, it's just been reskinned and now forms one of the three connected buildings of the Madison Complex, which over the years used to say Pacific Bell, then SBC, now AT&T; I'm sure many of you know it as the building with the huge microwave tower on top of it. It's still one of the largest telephone central offices in the nation. The microwave tower was in use from the early 1960s until the 1990s.

thecentraloffice.com

thecentraloffice.com

You can read about it here.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 9:15 PM

Quote:

this next photo is taken from the Westminster in as well in 1885. This photo is looking due west towards bunker hill. I am only including it, as i was stunned by this particular perspective, that truly shows the Victorian beauty of the core of los angeles in the 19th century.

USC
Wow, tons of cool stuff this morning! I especially like this one because it really shows the majesty of Bunker Hill, on the left you have the Rose Mansion (whose view would be obscured when the Fremont was built right in front of it in 1902, and then razed in the 30s) and in the middle is the magnificent Brunson (which only lasted to 1917) and at far right is the Crocker which one always sees in early images of Angles Flight (it only lasted til '08).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos