HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 10:17 PM

I would also like to show my appreciation to what you do on this forum. I’ve been a follower of this thread for about 6 years. I hope you fully recover as well as your family.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 3:06 AM

Thanks for all your hard work. I've enjoyed your posts and updates on Winston for some time now. Very exciting things happening there. Most underrated downtown in NC.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 1:24 AM
Fourth and Main

351 North Patterson Hotel & Condominiums:
This rendering was released today, showing the 16 storey luxury hotel and condominium project proposed at the corner of Fourth Street and Patterson Avenue. I like the recessed balconies on the condominiums. Some people are complaining about the exposed brick elevator core on the tower. The design will likely change between now and construction, so maybe that brick elevator tower will change? Bailey Park should be the most desirable view from those condominiums.

Credit: WFIQ

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 1:56 AM

The brick is definitely a bit odd but still, this a great day for the IQ. Love the height and the placement fronting Bailey Park. I actually enjoy the flow of the whole master plan. And if Brenner chooses downtown for a new center, then looks like most of the non-residential buildings have a solid proposal.

Is there still a vision for a signature tower at I-285 and Salem Parkway?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 4:35 AM
Fourth and Main

I've seen documents (a few months ago) from Perkins+Will that aren't in the packages shown on Monday. I tried to draw some of it for the other forum, since I'm not allowed to post the originals. You can see how well it matched-up and what changed over the past few months. In those documents, the signature tech office tower project seems to be in its own separate phase and not included in anything I saw? They do show how the site will look while they wait for it, which was very unusual for a site plan and again, creates this "its own phase" thing. A single building phase, separate from what you saw on Monday. In the released site plan, they did insert something there (a copy of the medical school)? They are likely holding that site to market to a sizable anchor tenant and will keep it a secret project. Interestingly, the site and building shape on the corner of Third and Research Parkway look very similar to the Brenner Children's Hospital Outpatient Center. If that project is downtown, that does appear to be the location? A lot of fun things to watch for! I may take a day or two before posting the next update, so I can include it all.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 10:36 PM
Fourth and Main

Center for Translational Research & Population Health:
This building, to be located in downtown's IQ District, is a 7-storey research center for Atrium Health and is expected to start construction in the next year or two. Wexford Science + Technology will be the developer. Perkins+Will is the architect. It's fully funded and fronts Long Branch Bike & Walking Trail as well as a proposed new park.

Credit: Innovation Quarter

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 6:07 PM

So the Eye Institute is 100% confirmed and another 450 apartments next year or 2023. I love the fact that Grubb is still bullish on downtown but please, no more Links.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 6:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Center for Translational Research & Population Health:
This building, to be located in downtown's IQ District, is a 7-storey research center for Atrium Health and is expected to start construction in the next year or two. Wexford Science + Technology will be the developer. Perkins+Will is the architect. It's fully funded and fronts Long Branch Bike & Walking Trail as well as a proposed new park.

That’s really nice. What’s the address (or cross-streets)?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 5:11 AM
Fourth and Main

It's at Research Parkway and Fogle Street, in downtown's IQ District (an urban innovation district). The site was cleared and prepared for a massive multi-building research & technology development, so there is nothing there but Research Parkway and a restored waterway. There could be four or five buildings and a park under-construction there in roughly 12-24 months? Most of this is part of a $3.4 billion investment in Winston-Salem by a large multi-state healthcare company. It appears as if that building may have moved-up to 2022, according to a recent news article? Since three of the medical / research buildings are fully-funded as part of that $3.4 billion deal, have detailed renderings or models, and Grubb Properties appears to have committed to building apartments (Link Apartments Research Parkway?) next to this building, I wouldn't doubt it if there are four buildings and Fogle Commons Park starting construction next year? I think at least one news article seems to lean in that direction? We could also see the five-star hotel and condominiums starting later this year or next, which is across Third Street from this site.

I've heard the Eye Institute will be the first building to start construction and the source is someone working for the innovation district. The proposed Eye Institute is across the street from the proposed Center for Translational Research & Population Health. It should be fun seeing all of those cranes, as you enter the downtown area!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 6:14 AM
Fourth and Main

I plan to change the updates so this thread is more focused on proposals and rendering releases and less focused on massive photography updates. I think this city's exciting announcements are lost in that sea of 40+ project updates. Look for future posts that focus on 1-3 projects and yes, we will see a few construction updates... just not 40-50 of them in one big photography post. Also, it's becoming more difficult to find photographs for these updates. If you're looking for the new proposals and renderings, I will post them individually over the next few days. This will lead to more update posts in this thread and it could generate more discussion, too, as people see more of what is happening here.

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Forbes called Winston-Salem "one of the nation’s leading cities for startups with a vibrant art community."

Wallethub called Winston-Salem one of the nation's hottest real estate markets and one of the "best places to be a real estate agent" right now.

Variety said UNCSA in Winston-Salem "has become a powerhouse, routinely ranking among the top-rated film programs in the country."

Video Link

Happy Pride Month! Are you ready to get updated?

Bailey South: Built!
Yes, this project is completed, but I think enough people want to see this retail space upfit to provide updates.

This restaurant will open in Fall 2021:

Credit: sixhundred_wsnc

It's Winston-Salem... of course there are random dancers:

Credit: joannefrost

351 North Patterson:
We finally have a rendering and more information! This will become a 16 storey ultra-luxury five-star hotel and condominiums. The hotel will have a really high-end bar, a pool on the sixth floor, and a nice restaurant terrace with a dramatic view of the skyline and Sauratown Mountains. Condominium residents will have access to all of the hotel amenities. The restaurant, pool, and amenities on the sixth floor will be the view from the condominiums, which will rise above the hotel podium.

This is expected to become the top hotel in the Triad area.

Rendering:

Credit: WFIQ

This parking lot's days are numbered! It will soon be replaced with a 5-star hotel and condominiums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB Forum
8 West Third Street:
As I'm sure you know by now, this building was placed back on the market (with CBRE). An opportunity to make a sizable profit selling to an apartment or hotel developer. It is the oldest steel frame skyscraper in North Carolina. Looking at this photograph, it appears as if someone is looking at the building? Could we hear an announcement, soon?

Credit: Salvador Patino

Kaleideum Science Museum:
Construction is now expected to start in August 2021. Completion is set for October 2023. It will have animal exhibits and they are talking about a water feature? Not sure if the water feature is in Liberty Park or at Kaleideum?

Liberty Park and Kaleideum Construction Sites (dirt lots with construction fencing):

Credit: winstonwandering

RegeneratOR Test Bed:
The RegeneratOR Test Bed has officially launched in downtown Winston-Salem's Bailey Power Plant, bringing together resources to advance the regenerative medicine field. It is part of a larger Regenerative Medicine Hub ecosystem in downtown's IQ District. RegeneratOR Test Bed joins RegeneratOR Business Incubator and the RegeneratOR Workforce Development at Bailey. The announcement of the RegeneratOR Test Bed comes from two driving forces of the regenerative medicine field: the RegenMed Development Organization (ReMDO), a non-profit foundation headquartered in Winston-Salem, NC, and dedicated to advancing the field nationwide, and Winston-Salem-based WFIRM, the largest regenerative medicine institute in the world. The RegeneratOR Test Bed is an epicenter of highly innovative science and technology. It will serve as an economic development driver, helping to accelerate the growth of start-ups and scale up mid-to-large-sized companies with innovative and emerging technologies. Access to $50 million in state-of-the-art biomanufacturing equipment, industry expertise, and talent to support novel prototyping and commercial product development is available. It will soon grow by another $100 million. Eleven companies collaborated on this new test bed lab, including Oracle, Roche, BioSpherix, and PHC (Panasonic Healthcare Corporation). Oracle is bringing machine learning and data analytics into solving regenerative medicine manufacturing challenges. Biospherix is providing modular units for the manufacturing of clinical products, and PHC is providing best-in-class precision and digital solutions that range from tissue processing technologies to Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities for improving workflow efficiencies. Steven Lynum of PHC said “With this RegeneratOR, I think we’ll be supporting testing, training, innovating together through collaboration." Mike Sicilia, of Oracle Global Business Units, said “We look forward to contributing the compute power of Oracle Cloud, along with expertise from our industry, labs, research, and startup teams to support the RegeneratOR’s research and development environments which are underpinning this important collaboration and accelerating the future of medicine.” Chris Chung, of the Economic Development Partnership of N.C., said regenerative medicine is expected to grow by 34-35% over the next five years. “All of you in Winston-Salem have a front seat to what is going on, thanks to the work of Dr. Atala and his colleagues. You all are in the driver’s seat of how this industry will continue to evolve and meet the needs of human health medicine.” They are currently in the process of recruiting regenerative medicine companies to downtown Winston-Salem, due to the new test bed. This is expected to create many jobs for downtown in biotech. Dr. Josh Hunsberger of ReMDO said “With a focus on the test bed, business incubator and workforce development, we believe we can heighten awareness of the regenerative medicine ecosystem and powerhouse that already exists in Winston-Salem to bring in new companies, while at the same time help the field move forward.” Winston-Salem is one of the world's leading cities in regenerative medicine and downtown's IQ District is the center of it.

Credit: Greater Winston-Salem

Forsyth County Courthouse:

Construction fencing with a skyline backdrop:

Credit: apollo_1913

Grading the site (Wednesday 6/16):

Credit: TrueLook

Mayfair @ Liberty:
This project will have 134 apartment units and construction will start in August or September 2021, according to the developer.

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:
Demolition was completed on two of the three floors. Yes, this conversion to office space is still moving forward in today's work-from-home world and the financial company will hire 550 additional office workers to fill this space when it is completed. I think completion is scheduled for later this year?

Credit: DavieConstNC

Coca-Cola Building For Sale:
This building is finally on the market. A call for offers was scheduled for June 28, 2021. It is the largest pre-WWII Coca-Cola Bottling Plant in the Carolinas, from a time when Winston-Salem was the state's largest city. A 1940s addition was demolished for townhouses a few years back, but the 1920s building is still there and very intact. Many people who grew-up in that neighborhood, during the time this building was a bottling plant, said you could see the soda being bottled through the large windows on the ground floor. This would make an awesome apartment building and there many Coca-Cola collectors/fans that would want to live there.

Credit: Christopher Commercial

1001:
Workers are preparing to replace the roof.

Quarry Park Phase II:
This project is pulling permits and should appear on our construction list, soon!

St. Timothy's Church Renovation:

These are from three months ago, but they are new to us:

Credit: cramandferguson

Credit: cramandferguson

Stevens Center Renovation:
The proposed North Carolina State Budget has $25 million for this project.

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
Frank L. Blum Construction is starting work on Deck A. You are seeing the first steps before construction begins on the 13-15 storey building with spire. The GC for the tower is Brasfield & Gorrie and HKS Architects is the architect. The engineer is WSP.

I've heard Winston-Salem's Ardmore Historic District is a great place to build (It's a 5-minute walk to West End's streetcar line!):

Credit: forsythpreservation

Blanco Tackabery Law Firm Headquarters:

Credit: lambert_architecture

New Tech Company Headquarters:
IIZI is a new ridesharing company that has relocated from Denver to Winston-Salem. The CEO also moved ClickUrban's headquarters from Denver to Winston-Salem.

Hanes Park Sports Facilities:
Bar Construction was awarded a contract to work on the tennis courts and add pickle ball courts.

Credit: West & Stem

Link Apartments Research Parkway:
Grubb Properties is in the early stages of a new Link Apartments Building for downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. It will have retail fronting Research Parkway, in the downtown innovation district, and could reach 6 floors. The northern end of the building will front Long Branch Bike and Walking Trail. News reports are saying this massive building will have 450 units. What I'm hearing: They are talking like two apartment buildings (with retail) along this stretch of Research Parkway isn't out-of-the-question and they are saying 450 total units. Downtown Winston-Salem is Grubb Properties most successful apartment market. Construction could start on the largest building, on the western side of Research Parkway, in 2022 or 2023.

500 West 5th:
The CEO of Renfro has already moved into Renfro's new headquarters in this building. Expect more growth with a deal they recently announced.

Credit: livefitfashionista

Credit: oodartdesign

The Easley Apartments:

The ballpark's outfield view is four new buildings and a new suspension bridge for bikes and pedestrians, but The Easley Apartments dominate most of that view:

Credit: Forsyth County

Close-up view of The Easley Apartments from the May 25 photograph, above:

Credit: Forsyth County

View from the Fowl Territory Team Store inside the ballpark (I don't like baseball and I want a Disco Turkey's T-shirt!):

Credit: discoturkeys

The power of creativity / good design!

Speaking of the ballpark - This sign from the GC was placed high on the building, to be seen from inside the ballpark:

These three photographs are from roughly three weeks ago:

Credit: DPJ Residential

This is a very ackward / curved site for one of these boxy wood-frame apartment buildings:

The site will have an apartment building, a bicycle cut-through path, and a new City pocket park, built by the developer:

Yes, another park built by a developer and donated to the City to maintain. The park is actually a requirement from the City. Cyclists complained about closing part of two roads, through this site, to build a massive apartment building, so the developer agreed to build them a cut-through for bicycles so they don't have to bike around the entire building.

From Wednesday (6/16):

From Thursday (6/24):

More brick updates (Thursday 6/24):

Park at 74:
This (photograph below) under construction 610,000 square-foot building is part of the nearly $200 million Ardagh project.

This 610,000 square-foot building could address the national metal can shortage at breweries and drink companies:

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Ludlow House & Sheppard House Restorations:
Since so many people are interested in these two restorations, I thought I would post on them. The Jacob Lott Ludlow House (pink house) was built in 1887 and the Benjamin Joseph Sheppard House (brick house) was built in 1894. The Ludlow House had major foundation and water issues and was close to collapse. The new owners have fixed these two expensive issues and are now restoring the Eastlake Queen Anne house. Both homes will become a bed & breakfast when completed.

Who was Jacob Ludlow? He was a nationally prominent municipal engineer who moved to Winston-Salem from Spring Lake, New Jersey, after graduating from college, in the 1880s. He designed water and sewer systems for many southern cities in the Victorian era. He was also on the North Carolina State Board of Public Health, as well as many national engineering boards. He wrote the first State laws on water treatment and many of those are still in place. Interestingly, he was also on the Engineering Board of Review of the Sanitary District of Chicago, which worked to settle issues between Chicago and other cities/states over the use of Great Lakes water. Ludlow ran for Mayor of Winston-Salem in 1913 and was heavily involved in the design and construction of many popular Winston-Salem neighborhoods and parks. He loved this city and was also the reason Winston-Salem had the title of most miles of paved streets back then. He was also on the Winston-Salem Board of Trade from 1910 to 1918 and led the 1913 city merger effort. It was important to save his house. I'm surprised there aren't any historical markers at the site? He did much more (both locally and nationally) than what I posted here. There should be a national engineering historical marker at this house. I'm surprised it's not a Jacob Ludlow museum! This project should be on our project list of projects followed here.

Credit: winston_360

LA Reynolds Mixed-use: Cancelled
Since Winston-Salem is the top large city destination for people moving to North Carolina during the pandemic, this project is now cancelled! What is the connection you may ask? The developer is selling the site! Everything on the site (former LA Reynolds structures) will be demolished. It will become 101 new single family homes with connections to two surrounding greenways and a pool. New homes are in very high demand in Winston-Salem! Yes, the adaptive-reuse entertainment project, with a sandy beach, restaurants, bowling, dog park, ice rink, wine bar, beer garden, and vendor market, is cancelled! New home developers are having a difficult time finding large sites in the city for large home developments and they are buying other non-housing developments, buying massive houses on large lots, and rezoning retail and industrial sites for new homes. New home developers in Winston-Salem report they have developed five years worth of land banked sites in the past year and are searching for any sizable sites they can find! In the 27 years I've posted on Winston-Salem, I've never seen anything like this. They are looking for anywhere they can possibly build houses. Even if all they can fit on the site are two or three houses. Don't be surprised if we see more of this. It should be interesting to see the impact on density.

New Health Tech Jobs at Bailey Power Plant:
RenalytixAI is the newest tenant at Bailey Power Plant in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. The London, U.K.,-based company will move-in around December 2021. Downtown Winston-Salem will be their second largest employment center and biggest employment hub.

624 North Trade:
Interior demolition has started on this project. LMI Builders has a dumpster at the site.

Notice the construction dumpster behind the musicians:

Credit: zenbyshannon

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:
Workers have started installing the storefront windows. Sadly, I don't have a good photograph of those new windows.

Working on the storefront windows (Wednesday 6/16):

The only view of the windows I have... at night and from a distance (Friday 6/25):

Credit: natdaratt._

Performing Arts Medical Clinic: Built!
WFBH has completed construction on a new Performing Arts Medical Clinic for dancers, musicians, vocalists, actors, and artists. It is one of only a few in the nation. It has physicians, physical therapists, hand therapists, and certified athletic trainers in one location that offers diagnosis, X-rays, therapy, and equipment for performing artists. They also work with artists to teach them injury prevention techniques and how to enhance their performance. Winston-Salem has an unusually large performing arts community and this facility will have the medical team to help them prevent and treat performing arts injuries. Dr. David Popoli said, "Our team understands the unique demands of these patients, so we want to do all we can to help get them back to dancing, playing, singing or painting." Fun fact: This medical facility has a dance floor. For more information: (336) 716-3286

Spencer's Mill Hotel:

A rare photography update on this Marriott Tribute Hotel project:

This is across the street:

Theatre Alliance:
They have raised $1.8 million and expect to open August 20, 2021. Currently, Councilman Kevin Mundy is trying to secure money for the group from the City budget, after they were denied. I guess we shall see if that happens. They are also asking Forsyth County for one-time money from next year's budget.

Sentinel Commons:
The Arden Homes headquarters will open around August 2021. We finally have renderings of the new headquarters.

New Minor League Baseball Team:
Downtown Winston-Salem now has a second minor league baseball team. The Carolina Disco Turkeys will share Truist Stadium with The Dash. Yes, you read that correctly! Two teams sharing one stadium! And this is a permanent second team. Their name, Carolina Disco Turkeys, has become one of the most popular baseball team names and they are selling merchandise in multiple states. It is a fun team name. The team is reaching out to the LGBTQ+ community in Winston-Salem and raising money for LGBTQ+ causes. Fans will also hear disco music at their games. The team started playing this month, so you can buy tickets now!

Credit: buiesmarket

As I said earlier, I would like to have one of these T-shirts and I don't like baseball!

Credit: discoturkeys

These will likely win a national baseball design award of some type? Great team name, design, and mascot!

Robert Hall Hotel and Conference Center:

Huntley House Hotel Logo:

Credit: roberthallws

Doors to be used in the new Huntley House Hotel at Robert Hall:

Huntley House Hotel at Robert Hall:

Roar:
The roof was completed late last month and work has started on installation of bars, bowling lanes, and kitchen equipment. First phase completion was pushed back to July 1, 2021. This project is the conversion of a 1920s Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom into a food hall and entertainment center.

Credit: stewartknight

The new 4th floor being constructed for a rooftop bar:

Credit: tricitycaninetraining

You can see the edge of that new 4th floor rooftop bar in this image:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Finished brickwork on 4th Floor and work starting on rooftop bar (Wednesday 6/16):

A better look at the new 4th Floor bar. It's really best seen from the other angle, where you can see how large it is (Wednesday 6/16):

In this photograph (Friday 6/18) you can see the completed brickwork and work on the 4th floor rooftop bar:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Herbalife Office Space Expansion:
Herbalife is currently expanding their office space in Winston-Salem and they are also expanding their tech operations in Winston-Salem.

Grand Pavilion Ballroom:
I'm guessing this space hasn't seen a renovation since the 1980s? This renovation will bring the space into the 2020s.

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Rendering:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

You may notice the floor plan shows the support columns in a pattern that resembles a sport arena? You are right! This was an adaptive reuse project, converting a downtown ice rink from 1974 into convention and meeting space. The middle of those columns had an ice rink and the facility also had a concession stand and space for spectators. The exterior, leading into the space, had retail spaces. You could also access the facility from the convention center, the former Hyatt, and from a pedestrian and bike path system which used a tunnel under the street (Bike and pedestrian tunnel was closed around 1980, but is occassionally reopened for art events). Ice skating and hockey moved to a building called The Annex in the 1980s, where the city's minor league hockey team currently plays. The space was converted into meeting space in the 1980s when they removed the ice surface.

Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation:
They are installing mesh seats from Winston-Salem-based 4Topps.

Construction Update:

New Downtown Elementary School:
The Winston-Salem / Forsyth County School System is seeking changes to the Entertainment Zoning District to allow schools. It does appear as if they have already selected this site? I was also told they are moving forward with a brownfield agreement, since the site was previously a mirror factory and a furniture factory.

Link Apartments 4th Street:

The view from across the street:

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Alternative Transportation:

Smith Reynolds Airport Restoration:
This project will start in March 2022 and take 30 months to complete.

A few "current condition" photographs:

The building is brick under these panels! They will remove the panels and restore the red brick:

Credit: jmarkovich

The style is Streamline Moderne, which was popular in the 1930s. It also has some Art Deco in the interior, but it's mostly Streamline Moderne. This is the same team that restored Union Station and they do have the original blueprints. Interestingly, Winston-Salem was one of the nation's top cities for Steamline Moderne architecture, until much of it was demolished. Not many cities had a strong economy in the 1930s.

The frieze above the doorway has Art Deco stylized airplanes on it, along with a bust:

That mirrored ceiling is 70s fabulous! I would like to see it removed for an accurate restoration, though.

Stained glass window showing the history of flight and an aerial of the airport:

It's filled with interesting artwork.

New Hangars:
This project will start in December 2021 and take 18 months to complete.

Quonset Hut Hangar Restoration:
This project will start in December 2021 and take 18 months to complete. The project includes new doors, energy efficient lighting, and new roofing. This building is from the 1940s and is historically contributing to the airport site.

Salem Creek Greenway Extension:
Engineers are working on plans for a tunnel under the parkway, so cyclists don't have to cross it. Yes, this project is moving forward, along with several more bicycle paths!

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
The City has entered easement discussions with Norfolk Southern Railway for the Brushy Fork Greenway. The easement will likely cost the City $50,000, which is in the budget for this project.

WSTA Route Study:
Look for changes to bus routes in the fall, to add more buses to popular routes and possibly drop routes with few riders. This will allow the City to offer better service on its most popular routes.

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway Expansion:
HDR Engineering is working on preliminary engineering for this project and should take a year to complete. Winston-Salem is seeking a RAISE Grant from the USDOT to help pay for this project. It requires a 20% local match from the City of Winston-Salem. This will extend this popular protected bike and walking path from downtown's IQ District to the airport. (See how close that airport is to downtown in the Random Photographs, below)

Off-Subject:

Winston-Salem - One of the Nation's Hottest Real Estate Markets:
According to Wallethub, Winston-Salem is one of the nation's hottest real estate markets right now and one of the best places to be a real estate agent. Spectrum News said "A lot of potential home buyers are looking to move to Winston-Salem." Spencer Harrell said “Winston-Salem is exploding right now with people coming to this area, and the people that are putting their nose down and getting the job done are definitely capitalizing on this. There are so many people coming from out of town to buy houses. I just met with a client that was from New Hampshire that’s looking to buy down here, so there’s so many buyers that are looking to come to this area." Four North Carolina cities made the list of top real estate markets and they are Winston-Salem, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Durham.

NASA Vascular Tissue Challenge Winners:
Two teams of regenerative medicine scientists from downtown Winston-Salem have finished in first and second place in NASA’s Vascular Tissue challenge. The winning team was named Team Winston. NASA said the competition “aims to accelerate tissue engineering innovations to benefit people on Earth today and space explorers in the future.” The two teams won money and they will have the opportunity to conduct research on the International Space Station's U.S. National Laboratory. WOW!

Winston-Salem is one of the world's leading centers for regenerative medicine research and it is actually one of the biggest employment fields in downtown Winston-Salem. This research will allow scientists to test new medicines on lab-grown organs and it will also end organ transplant waitlists, by creating new organs with a patient's own cells (reducing rejection).

Winston-Salem's UNCSA Drama School Ranked 4th Best in the World:

Best Drama Schools in the World, as ranked by The Hollywood Reporter:
1. The Juilliard School
2. Yale University
3. NYU Tisch School of the Arts
4. UNCSA (in Winston-Salem)
5. UC San Diego
6. London Academy of Music & Dramatic Arts
7. Carnegie Mellon University

Random Photographs:

A good view of this new building's main entrance:

Credit: ethanmayor6537

Yoga in the park has returned:

Credit: allisontopeka

Credit: bespokecyclery336

Winston-Salem does have an historic seed research center in this downtown Colonial neighborhood:

Credit: _heather_ash_

Credit: catbirdartevents

Coal Pit Live Downtown Concert Series has returned:

Credit: coalpitlive

The answer to why Winston-Salem has a height limit over downtown and a tabletop skyline:

Credit: jebbrooksflies

Once cities reach a certain level of weirdness, people on the sidewalks stop noticing:

Credit: koernerdeborah

Here they are in the morning at Bailey Park:

Credit: Ariana

Your City

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 1:05 PM

Great updates. Winston is so under the radar. Fortunate to have WF as the nexus of its research community. Especially now with Atrium on board. Is there another urban research park as large or successful in the nation? Would love to see the growth continue forwards WSSU in the future. Like to see them boost their profile into tech and bio. Very surreal to see mainline aircraft at Smith-Reynolds even if it is for storage. Miss the Piedmont days.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 4:11 AM
Fourth and Main

Grand Pavilion Ballroom:

A construction update on this hotel renovation and convention center expansion project:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

The field was recently named for Coach Bill Hayes. He is the winningest football coach at WSSU.

Theatre Alliance:
The new downtown theatre is ready to install their sign and marquee.

Shallow Ford Historic Site:
The North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources has included $2.25 million in their proposed budget for this project. The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources described this project as “creating a major site for canoe camping, canoe access, and passive outdoor recreation along the Yadkin River paddle trail.” It's described as “a geographical landmark rich in history. The ford, a flat-bottomed section of the river used in the 18th century as a wagon crossing route, was the site of skirmishes during the Revolutionary War. It was the place where Lord Charles Cornwallis led his British troops across the Yadkin River in February 1781. It was an integral part of the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road, which linked Winston-Salem and North Carolina with colonies along the eastern seaboard." It “was used by Native Americans for hundreds of years prior to European settlement of the area.”

The Legacy Apartments:
Carlisle Residential Properties will construct 220 luxury apartments, in one, two, and three bedroom units, near the university medical center. Lomax Construction is the General Contractor and completion is set for April 2022. This development will have two large penthouse units and it will include amenities such as a saltwater pool with poolside cabanas, a clubhouse, outdoor grills, and a fitness center with yoga studio.

Credit: Carlisle Residential Properties

Credit: Carlisle Residential Properties

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 12:58 PM
Fourth and Main

These updates grow very quickly. I have a long list in just a few days and need to start posting some of them! I'll post a few today.

Fundraising has started for a Coach Bill Hayes statue at Bowman Gray Stadium Field House. It will be donated to the City.

1834 Nissen Wagon Works:
The remaining properties at the Nissen Wagon Works site are now under contract. This developer has plans for a warehouse and solar farm project at the site. The solar farm will produce electricity for the warehouse's LED light fixtures. It will help attract "green" businesses. A demolition contractor will be hired, but I don't know how much will be demolished for this project? Future plans could include a new Forsyth County Library Branch at the site. You may remember a library was in previous plans and the council member for this ward also wants a library at this site.

Grand Pavilion Ballroom:
There are plans for a large Big House Gaines portrait, along with art in the hallway and lobby.

Construction Updates:

A look at construction progress on the restaurant space:

Creative Corridors:
To fund large sculptures that are visible from Salem Parkway, a decision was made to reduce the number of bridges with artwork to only three bridges. These bridges are Church Street Bridge, Marshall Street Bridge, and Peters Creek Parkway Bridge. In the future, additional money can be raised to add artwork at the other bridges. On the Church Street Bridge, the artwork will be located on both sides of the middle of the bridge and you can see the art bases in the center of the bridge. On the Marshall Street Bridge, the artwork will be located only on the eastern side of the bridge and it will be on the corners. On the Peters Creek Parkway Bridge, artwork will be located on all four corners and they will also construct a second transparent noise wall. Most of the money for art will be spent on the Peters Creek Parkway Bridge and that may also include the transparent noise wall? As you can see, in the images below, streetlights will be installed as part of this project. The streetlights will be officially selected this fall (they may look different from what is shown in these renderings) and will be part of downtown's streetscape project. They want the streetlights on the bridges to match those that will be installed along the downtown streets. Yes, the artwork will have uplighting. Right now, the group that selected the artwork at the new Link Apartments 4th Street site is taking-over this project and will select the artists. They are trying to transfer the money into several smaller projects centered on pedestrians and cyclists, but the money was raised and a bond was passed for these tall bridge sculptures. If it's transferred to something else, they may lose the money? We'll see what happens.

Eastern Bridges and Selected Locations:

Selected Eastern Location (bases in the middle of the Church Street Bridge):

Selected Middle Location (Marshall Street Bridge Corners):

Selected Western Location (Peters Creek Parkway Bridge Corners and Transparent Noise Wall):

Off-Subject:

Home Price Increases:
Winston-Salem continues to see the highest home price increases in North Carolina, according to CoreLogic.

Winston-Salem MSA 16.23%
Charlotte MSA 14.9%
Raleigh MSA 14.2%
Greensboro MSA 13.1%

Home prices in Forsyth County (county Winston-Salem is in) alone are up 19% in the latest report.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 1:01 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Three people have asked for the music to return? The music doesn't really fit with the changes I made, but I can bring it back in some of the posts.

Video Link

FSC P7 Hotel & Condominiums:
The 16-storey proposal at 351 North Patterson Avenue is currently proposed under the temporary working title / name of Front Street Capital P7 Building. I'm thinking we should change the title to FSC P7 Hotel & Condominiums?

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:
Not all of the projects at Whitaker Park are adaptive-reuse. This is a new ground-up construction building, recently proposed at Whitaker Park. It will be 139,192 square-feet when completed and features a real-time data center, collaboration space, and a culinary training center. Completion is set for November 2022.

Credit: WPDA

Davidson County Courthouse Expansion: Built!
This project is now completed!

Credit: J. Loflin

Kernersville Medical Center Expansion:
This project, to add another floor to the existing building, now has conditional approval from the State. It's a significant project. Just the maternity and delivery addition alone will cost $44.4 million. Construction is scheduled to begin in February 2022, with completion set for December 2023. The maternity addition will open in April 2024.

The Easley Apartments:

Your City

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 4:04 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Whitaker Park Hotel & Mixed-use:
This project is a brownfield redevelopment project, transforming a vacant former industrial site with retail, a hotel, and apartments. Two historic industrial buildings will be reused for apartments and one new-construction apartment building is proposed. It will be a mix of new and historic. The developer is from Washington D.C., and has experience in adaptive reuse and new construction up there. Completion of the retail is set for First Quarter 2022. I think construction has already started? The new renderings don't look as nice as the earlier renderings? Some people are concerned about this being another example of gentrification. If you're interested in leasing: (336) 926-1411

You can see some of the original historic industrial buildings in the background:

The developer said the hotel would be a Marriott, but didn't say which Marriott flag:

Nationwide Marking Headquarters:
Looking at the image, below, I don't think they will construct the canopy over the entrance, as seen in vintage photographs and the renderings for this project? It appears as if they will add a brick strip between the windows instead of trying to recreate the original canopy? I thank the Cleveland, Ohio-based developer for trying. This project is likely pushing at the upper-end of their budget?

Credit: DWSP

TW Garner Campus:
Construction will start on this project in the next three weeks, with completion of the first building scheduled for May 2022. Their headquarters, research & development, and test kitchen will remain downtown.

Downtown Streetscape:
The City is currently redesigning Sixth Street to make it more friendly for bikes and pedestrians. Those plans include possibly adding protected bike lanes.

Your City

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 3:19 PM
Fourth and Main

Boxyard - Innovation Quarter:
Located in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District (a downtown innovation district), this is expected to be a restaurant, bar, retail, entertainment, and meeting space centered on pedestrians and cyclists. It will be constructed from shipping containers and will be located next to offices, labs, medical facilities, apartments, university students, and the proposed Fogle Commons programmed park space. This will be constructed on the city's bike path network and high line bike and walking path. It may have a pedestrian and bike bridge linking it to the new Forsyth County Courthouse. The theme works well with a site next to active railroad tracks. Project name will likely change between now and construction?

Tanglewood Exposition Center:
Forsyth County Commissioners are preparing to enter a contract with Shelco to build a facility for concerts and events at Tanglewood Park. Walter Robbs will be the architect for this project. Construction will begin in January 2022 and it should take 18 months to complete. Tanglewood Park is already the largest tourist attraction in Metro Winston-Salem. Adding space for conventions / trade shows and concerts should add significantly to the visitor numbers.

Merschel Park:
This proposed park project and the neighboring proposed apartment building (both by the same developer) are still stalled-out (On Hold), with people complaining. It's time to consider taking this property back and for the City to build the park. These developer-built parks are often bland and this developer has failed to build anything on the site next to Hotel Indigo. How many more years will we continue to wait on this developer to do something?

Stalled-out Merschel Park Proposal and Stalled-out Mayfair @ Liberty Apartments Proposal:

Shaffner Hotel & Events Center:
The 114 year old Henry F. Shaffner mansion was purchased for $1.2 million. It will be renovated to offer a boutique hotel, restaurant, and meeting space on the structure's four floors. Construction has already started and completion is set for March 2022. It's currently a conference center. Henry Shaffner was a co-founder of Wachovia Bank & Trust Company and a former Alderman (City Council).

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:
It appears as if significant exterior work is also proposed? Yes, we have new renderings and they are different from the previous renderings!

An update on this project, including new renderings, though the renderings are small and not easy to see:

Credit: Davie Construction

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 9:14 PM

Winston Salem is really shaping up to be a really cool city to live in five years down the road. Thank you as always for putting this together, I'm constantly on the watch for these updates.

I'm wondering if the Boxyard area will be anything like the one in RTP? https://boxyard.rtp.org

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 1:36 PM
Fourth and Main

I'm guessing it will be something like that? I do expect the name to be something else. I know Winston-Salem's version of Boxyard will have a rock climbing wall, which I forgot to add to that post. Notice how it follows a large part of Long Branch Trail bike and walking path with retail/restaurant spaces! I guess if you're not walking or biking to it, the parking isn't too far away, but it is largely centered on cyclists and pedestrians, as another destination on the city's bike path network. Thank for following the updates!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 2:40 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Yes, this is the city recently ranked as a top place to live! There are so many projects happening right now. I'm trying to keep-up with it all.

Video Link

Theatre Alliance:
The first show (musical - Something Rotten) in the new space is scheduled for August 20, 2021. Thank you for donating to make this new theatre a reality! Though the ground floor is completed, they still have a second phase, to build another performance space on the second floor. So, this project will remain on our active construction projects list. See the new downtown performance space for yourself on August 20-22 and on the 27-29.

Yes, there are photographs and a video, but I want you to go and explore the space for yourself! Support local art venues and artists! August 20 is a great time to see the completed work on the first phase.

Park at 74:
The 610,000 square-foot Ardagh project will be completed in Summer 2022. No incentives requested.

Reynolda House Museum of Art Restoration:
Workers are preparing to install the new tile roof. You can see the scaffolding, below. Yes, the roof is original, but sadly, it's time to replace it. It's 104 years old and was scheduled for replacement last year, until COVID-19 delayed it. This museum is said to have the best American Art collection in the South! It's worth visiting to see the art and maybe the roof replacement, while you're there.

Credit: Preservation Forsyth

Tanglewood Exposition Center:
This project will be delayed by six or more months, due to NIMBYs. It does appear as if Forsyth County will built it, but they may have to select another site at the park?

The Art Deco features are being preserved as the stadium is updated for today's sport fans and teams. Here are a few photographs, from the City, of the work.

Interestingly, that field has seen so many interesting things, from games played between the Green Bay Packers and Washington Redskins to Wake Forest and WSSU football games to 1930s boxing matches between some of the biggest boxers of the day to big band / swing dancing competitions and this is where Richard Petty became the first NASCAR driver to win 100 races in 1969. I think Frank Sinatra walked out on that field (his wife was from Winston-Salem)? All of that is just a small part of what has happened on that field! It has to be modernized, though. If not, it won't see many future events. I'm guessing, in the near future, they will install all seat-back chairs? Just a guess from me.

An older photograph of the field work during the winter months:

Another older image:

And another older image:

Robert W. Neilson Water Treatment Plant Renovation:
This is a $108 million renovation of this facility, built in 1964. Interestingly, it can treat 48 million gallons daily from the Yadkin River. This is one of maybe three or four water treatment plants in the city. Winston-Salem has amazing water capacity for growth. The City only uses 39% of its capacity and sells water to other cities and towns. Winston-Salem even has water rights to a massive lake it never uses. All of this is why you never see water restrictions in Winston-Salem. I don't know if we will follow this project? It may not be interesting enough to follow and likely won't have many photographs of the progress? Looking at how much the work will cost, it is worth posting as a big project.

Link Apartments 4th Street:
I haven't seen any photographs of this project since possibly May? No one is photographing it. Not even the people building it. I did see enough of it in an alley photograph that I'm not allowed to post and in a Twitter video that showed just part of the top floor, to say that it may have topped-out! It also appears to have an air barrier / wrap on possibly all floors?

Forsyth County Courthouse:

Hanes-Lowrance Community Center:
Some people have asked me about the Hanes-Lowrance School Building. It is near a Superfund Site (currently being cleaned-up) and was closed, due to groundwater contamination dating back to the 1940s (from a furniture hardware company). Air quality tests showed the building was safe, but parents and the School Board didn't want to take any chances, so they closed it. I heard a few months back about a local developer (I don't remember her name?) inquiring about purchasing it and using her own money to convert it into a community center. I wasn't sure if that project would actually go anywhere, so I didn't want to post it until I had more information. Recently, Councilwoman Barbara Burke requested for the school system to donate the building to the City for a community center. The community center in the this new plan would offer medical care, housing, job training, and space for startups. This project has strong backing from the President of the NAACP, the Mayor pro tempore, and a Forsyth County Commissioner. It also has proposed funding from the American Rescue Plan. It has a very good chance of happening! I'm not sure if it is the same proposal from a few months ago or a new proposal? I'm thinking it's a new proposal based on the previous proposal? They are both somewhat similar. I do think this is an exciting development for this neighborhood and it could rescue an architecturally interesting structure.

The Gallery Ballroom:
The Grand Pavilion Ballroom is now The Gallery Ballroom at the Benton. It will open in mid-September. This name merges this facility into the Benton Convention Center and was selected due to the large amount of the art in the convention center. They are currently working to install new signage on Cherry Street. The space is already booking events.

The Easley Apartments:

I think the smoke from the western U.S., wildfires is impacting the view from the camera?

Q2 Development Summary:
If you think this city is really booming in construction, you are right! In the second quarter, Winston-Salem has nearly four times more commercial development in 2021 than it had in 2019. Single-family development is at its highest point over the past three years (only three previous years available). This is a surprise: Single family development is nearly twice that of 2019 and multi-family is higher in 2021 than it was in 2020 or 2019! A big stat: Winston-Salem has more new development square-footage in 2021 than it had in the past five years years. It's significantly more! And this doesn't include many of the big projects we are discussing here. Winston-Salem single-family and multi-family development are both setting records in 2021 for total units permitted in the second quarter. WOW!

Your City

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 8:15 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

I can't find any photographs of Link Apartments 4th Street? It was photographed regularly, but now it's impossible to find anything.

Video Link

The developer is already selecting the furniture for the hotel rooms. Yes, it will have antique furniture. As was posted before, the hotel will be called Huntley House. The entire mixed-use development is called Robert Hall. I think they are calling it Huntley House at Robert Hall?

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:
They have installed all of the storefront windows at sidewalk-level, but still have to install the massive transom windows above these windows. When that happens, the building could be completed on the exterior?

The Easley Apartments:

Installing and priming the cement-fiberboard siding:

WSTA Route Study:
Engineering firm HDR was hired and they will start work in the Fall (2021).

Off-Subject:

Tunnel Art:
Would you like to create a mural or other artwork for this space-age 1960s tunnel? It looks like something from a science fiction movie. The City of Winston-Salem is seeking proposals from artists to add artwork to this tunnel, connecting the Convention Center with the Embassy Suites Hotel. Yes, Winston-Salem's convention center was built in the 1960s, but renovations have expanded it and modernized both the interior and exterior.

Your City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations