Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 6:32 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
The absurdity of this thread has culminated in the revelation that lio owns a literal whore house!
Sure, but I don't see what that has to do with anything...?

(I realize that we're currently discussing vaginas, but I can confirm that my exposure to vaginas has always been 100% a function of my girlfriends (current one and exes) and hasn't been impacted one iota by this landlording over a whore house, ever since it began. )
Why not cash in on the misery and depravity of other human beings? It's all just business opportunity and community service combined, and not to be judged.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
So this court decision means a tiny formal change would allow to continue to "discriminate". The logical end point of this is that we'll eventually live in a society where we have stuff like safe shelters for traumatized vagina-equipped humans, gyms designed for a clientele of humans-with-vaginas, taverns providing the express service of supplying alcohol to the blood stream of scrotum-possessing humans, bathrooms reserved for the use of humans that have vaginas, etc.

So... nothing will have changed, except the legal definitions will have shifted slightly: olympic medals in the "vaginas" category, olympic medals in the "scrotums" category, while man/woman are now fluid and essentially useless terms, at least legally, since anyone can officially be anything anytime.

Okay, I guess. I mean, if that's where we're going, I suppose we'll have to live with that. Won't change that much...

I wonder if anyone ever submitted the case of women-only gyms to that Tribunal? Or seniors-only residences? Surely they're bound to find that it constitutes discrimination. So what's the next step - abolish all those places tailored to a certain clientele?
The court specifically takes context into account in determining what is a reasonable accommodation, something you seem to have difficulty doing. We don't live in a black and white world.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 2:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Why not cash in on the misery and depravity of other human beings? It's all just business opportunity and community service combined, and not to be judged.
Thanks for reminding us of the emerging neo-Victorian morality and modesty trend on the woketarian side. It is oddly conservative which of course is not that surprising. Extremes always end up converging if you go far enough along the backside of the spectrum.

And BTW he does not own the whorehouse. He owns a building where some occupants are allegedly involved in prostitution. He is also not a cop so not his responsibility to police goings on, unless he gets complaints from other tenants.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:19 PM
Khan

Quote:
So this court decision means a tiny formal change would allow to continue to "discriminate". The logical end point of this is that we'll eventually live in a society where we have stuff like safe shelters for traumatized vagina-equipped humans, gyms designed for a clientele of humans-with-vaginas, taverns providing the express service of supplying alcohol to the blood stream of scrotum-possessing humans, bathrooms reserved for the use of humans that have vaginas, etc.

So... nothing will have changed, except the legal definitions will have shifted slightly: olympic medals in the "vaginas" category, olympic medals in the "scrotums" category, while man/woman are now fluid and essentially useless terms, at least legally, since anyone can officially be anything anytime.
LOL. Good luck with that strategy. Courts and tribunals don't fall for naked attempts to circumvent the Human Rights Code. If there is no rational connection between the service being offered and vaginas, this strategy is doomed to fail. Indeed, for it to even have a chance, the service provider would have to prove that it confirms that it checks every customer's genitals upon entry to confirm that it only offers vagina services.

Of course, if you're that determined to deny services to transgendered women, that says it all really, doesn't it?
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
Of course, if you're that determined to deny services to transgendered women, that says it all really, doesn't it?
I don't think lio is the one who is denying these services. I think the people who are most discomforted by provision of services to trans women are in fact cis women who feel threatened by having hairy women with scrotums occupying seats in their shelters. Since many of them feel that such seats should be reserved for cis heteronormative females who are fleeing heteronormative spousal abuse. This discomfort is quite understandable.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:37 PM

I believe my posting record would back up that the only thing I'm actually determined to deny to trans women is a permanent monopoly on gold medals in women's sports from now on.

On the questions of shelters, bathroom, and gyms, I'm pretty open, though I see the view "absolutely anyone can just decide they're a woman" to be absolutely irreconcilable with any policy other than abolishing all gendered bathrooms and gendered everything. If any human can enter any bathroom and that's how we want things to be, then let's be coherent and get rid of this silly anachronistic idea of separate bathrooms.

Basically, there's two possible logical paths for society: gendered stuff + enforcement (which has been the "traditional" way of doing things so far), or no enforcement and no gender restrictions (which would be an evolution). It's one or the other.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
LOL. Good luck with that strategy. Courts and tribunals don't fall for naked attempts to circumvent the Human Rights Code. If there is no rational connection between the service being offered and vaginas, this strategy is doomed to fail. Indeed, for it to even have a chance, the service provider would have to prove that it confirms that it checks every customer's genitals upon entry to confirm that it only offers vagina services.

I'm pretty confident I could defend in court that my gym only offers sophisticated holistic physical well-being programs that are specifically tailored to humans with ovaries, it's definitely not just dumb calorie-burning stuff, and make it fly. (I believe enough women would accept token gynecological services as a mandatory part of the gym experience, if that's the price to pay for a women-only gym, for it to work.)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And BTW he does not own the whorehouse. He owns a building where some occupants are allegedly involved in prostitution. He is also not a cop so not his responsibility to police goings on, unless he gets complaints from other tenants.
Correct. I own the building, I'm not "operating" a whorehouse.

Interestingly, and perhaps counter-intuitively, if I really wanted to fully abide by Quebec laws, I'd have to continue to let the building be a whorehouse, as it's nearly impossible to legally evict a whore who doesn't fail to pay her rent.

(Without saying too much on here, I do have some tricks up my sleeve when required.)

Another interesting point is that this building (prewar hotel run as SRO with tenants who are typically welfare people) does provide a community service. Every other buyer who wanted it (I managed to snatch it ) was going to greatly "gentrify" the building, it's kind of the obvious thing to do, I'm the only one who figured I'd continue to operate it as the most affordable housing in the city.

It happened several times over the years that my "garbage" tenants would end up renting a room at that building (back when I didn't own it) after I'd kick them out while cleaning up newly acquired cheap-ish buildings downtown. Back then it was someone else's problem. But now I have a bit of a moral dilemma because that building is the very last step on the "you have a roof over your head" ladder. When I got rid of toxic tenants from my other buildings, I knew they could go there and find lodging... but now if I want to get rid of a tenant from this one, they'll be homeless.

I did evict a particularly bad tenant earlier in the fall, and found out pretty quickly that he was still around, and sleeping in the hotel lobby and in the hallways, because he was homeless. Since I'm good-hearted, I rented him a room again, except that this time I made him sign me a power of attorney to manage his affairs (including controlling his monthly welfare check). It was a non-negotiable condition. I might have to start doing this and be a "mother hen" to some of the more irresponsible fucked up tenants, rather than just throwing them out so they become some other land/slum lord's problem.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:45 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I believe my posting record would back up that the only thing I'm actually determined to deny to trans women is a permanent monopoly on gold medals in women's sports from now on.

On the questions of shelters, bathroom, and gyms, I'm pretty open, though I see the view "absolutely anyone can just decide they're a woman" to be absolutely irreconcilable with any policy other than abolishing all gendered bathrooms and gendered everything. If any human can enter any bathroom and that's how we want things to be, then let's be coherent and get rid of this silly anachronistic idea of separate bathrooms.

Basically, there's two possible logical paths for society: gendered stuff + enforcement (which has been the "traditional" way of doing things so far), or no enforcement and no gender restrictions (which would be an evolution). It's one or the other.
Have you been to Europe? Many places there have no gendered bathrooms. Which admittedly was slightly awkward when I tried using a urinal and a troupe of elderly asian women were walking by.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
The court specifically takes context into account in determining what is a reasonable accommodation, something you seem to have difficulty doing. We don't live in a black and white world.
The context in that decision was "that's a service for women, and you don't qualify, despite what you think". I doubt that that salon actually officially advertised "vagina" waxing, and if that's correct, then the BC HRT stretched things a bit (and, likely, erred there) in their attempt to be as... woke... as possible.

For the service to be vagina waxing, it would have to be actually identified as vagina waxing. If in all the marketing, advertising, signs, etc. the service is instead called something else (say, "Brazilian wax", which is merely defined as the removal of pubic hair using a special wax) then the actual reason that customer was denied service has to be along the lines of "this store only serves women", not "that service is clearly defined as a vagina service and it turns out this customer doesn't have a vagina". The latter would be a stretch.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Have you been to Europe? Many places there have no gendered bathrooms. Which admittedly was slightly awkward when I tried using a urinal and a troupe of elderly asian women were walking by.
Sure, many times, but in my experience most bathrooms are gendered over there too.

In many previous posts I pointed out that if I were in charge, the most logical and elegant way to do this would be to have ungendered everything. The gold medal for the 100 m would go to the fastest human on the planet that year, the gold medal for javelin throwing would go to the human who manages to throw the javelin the furthest that year, etc.

Sure, if you're a woman you can now kiss goodbye to any dreams of top physical performance, but that's the price to pay for a gender-neutral society. It's true that you're physically inferior, anyway, is it not? So just accept that reality and live with it. (If not true, then you have zero reason to be complaining! Owned!)

(My approach would be pretty much the most trans friendly one possible while I would likely be criticized for throwing cis women under the bus, but there's no perfect approach there, and mine is the one I find the most logical overall.)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 6:43 PM
Khan

Quote:
The context in that decision was "that's a service for women, and you don't qualify, despite what you think". I doubt that that salon actually officially advertised "vagina" waxing, and if that's correct, then the BC HRT stretched things a bit (and, likely, erred there) in their attempt to be as... woke... as possible.

For the service to be vagina waxing, it would have to be actually identified as vagina waxing. If in all the marketing, advertising, signs, etc. the service is instead called something else (say, "Brazilian wax", which is merely defined as the removal of pubic hair using a special wax) then the actual reason that customer was denied service has to be along the lines of "this store only serves women", not "that service is clearly defined as a vagina service and it turns out this customer doesn't have a vagina". The latter would be a stretch.
I find it amusing that you so confidently criticize a decision which you clearly have not even read (despite the fact that you were provided with a link to it).

The BCHRT devoted an entire section (~18 paragraphs) to this very issue. For example:

Quote:
[23] Section 8 of the Code only applies to services which a person customarily provides to the public. Like all provisions of the Code, the meaning of “services” customarily provided to the public must be given a large and liberal interpretation: British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal v. Schrenk, 2017 SCC 62 at para. 31. To define the service too narrowly risks obscuring, and perpetuating, barriers which impede equal access to public life: Moore at paras. 27-31. At the same time, however, a service provider’s human rights obligations are grounded in their obligation to provide their particular service without discrimination. The Represented Respondents put it this way: “A grocer is not required to service a bicycle”.

[24] There is no dispute that all of these Respondents customarily provided brazilian waxes to the public...
[26] The Represented Respondents called Angela Barnetson to give expert evidence about waxing services and the waxing industry. Ms. Barnetson has been a licenced aesthetician for 30 years. She teaches aesthetics at the Blanche Macdonald Centre in Vancouver, a college which provides training for various professions in the beauty industry. She has been teaching for 13 years. In addition, she owns and operates a spa, which provides waxing and other services for men only.
[28] I find that Ms. Barnetson is qualified to give expert evidence about waxing techniques on different genitalia, and the waxing industry in general. She has “acquired special or peculiar knowledge” through 30 years of study and experience: R v. Mohan, 1994 CanLII 80 (SCC), [1994] 2 SCR 9. She is a recognized leader in her profession, as both a teacher and business owner. She gave her evidence in a fair, objective, and non-partisan manner, in accordance with the duty of an expert: White Burgess Langille Inman v. Abbott and Haliburton Co., 2015 SCC 23. I have found her evidence helpful in resolving the issue before me.
[31] In the result, I have relied on Ms. Barnetson’s expert evidence to define a “brazilian wax”. That evidence was supported by the testimony of the Represented Respondents about the scope of services they are trained to provide and intended to offer.

[32] There are differences between waxing the genitals of a person with a vulva and a person with a penis and scrotum. To remove hair from a scrotum, the practitioner is required to handle both the scrotum and penis for a prolonged period of time, from 20 minutes up to an hour depending on the amount of hair. The scrotum must be held and positioned in a particular way. The skin on the scrotum is very thin and the practitioner must exercise caution to ensure they do not rip it. If the procedure is not done properly, it can cause bleeding, torn skin, and bruising. In contrast, the waxing of a person with a vulva involves different body parts and different techniques for positioning, applying, and removing the wax. At the Blanche Macdonald College, students are only taught to remove hair from labia and not from a scrotum. Ms. Barnetson provides private training about the procedure of removing hair from a scrotum and says that proper training and practice is important to ensure it is done safely and properly.

[33] Ms. Barnetson testified that there are several reasons a person might not choose to wax the genitals of a person with a scrotum. The penis almost always become erect, at least for some portion of the treatment. In her experience, it is not uncommon for the client to then request or expect sexual services and to become abusive when they are denied. Some people – particularly women – are not comfortable working with the scrotum and penis. She says that it is common industry practice for certain businesses to restrict their services to “women” (meaning persons with a vulva) or “men” (meaning persons with a penis and scrotum).

[34] Critically for the purpose of this complaint, Ms. Barnetson testified that the service of removing the genital hair of a person with a scrotum is called a “brozilian” or “manzilian”. This is contrasted from a “brazilian”, which is an industry term understood to apply to the removal of genital hair from a person with a vulva.

[35] I understand Ms. Yaniv’s consternation at the terms “brozilian” and “manzilian”. As a transgender woman, it is hurtful to be required to request services labelled “bro” or “man”. Those terms undermine her identity as a woman and reinforce the pre-eminence that society gives to genitals as the ultimate determinant of gender. Notwithstanding this objection, however, these are the terms used in the industry to describe particular services offered by businesses. In seeking the removal of hair from her scrotum, most service providers would understand that Ms. Yaniv did not require a “brazilian wax”, but rather a “brozilian” or “manzilian”. Likewise, I accept that service providers advertising a “brazilian” wax are referring to the removal of genital hair from a person with a vulva. As I will explain, this is consistent with the testimony of the Represented Respondents, which was that they intended to only provide their services to “women” – a term they define to mean persons with a vulva.

[36] In the case of genital waxing, I find that the differences in procedures, as well as its intimate nature, are important to defining the service. First, a scrotum is different than a vulva – regardless of the gender of the person it is attached to. Given the difference in techniques, training, and physical body parts, it is not appropriate to lump both together under the broader rubric of “genital waxing”, or – as Ms. Yaniv argues – “genital waxing for women”. The job is different depending on the specific genitals involved. This distinguishes the service from arm and leg waxing, which I discuss below, or other personal care services such as hair cuts.

[37] Second, I accept that this is an intimate service that a person must actively and specifically consent to provide. It requires the service provider to handle a stranger’s genitals for a prolonged period of time, in a private setting. I do not accept that a person’s decision to touch a stranger’s vulva then requires them to also touch a stranger’s penis and scrotum.

[38] In her arguments, Ms. Yaniv attempted to draw parallels with other circumstances where LGBTQ+ persons have been denied services – for example, in connection with gay weddings. I do not find the circumstances analogous. There is no material difference in a cake which is baked for a straight wedding, and one that is baked for a gay wedding. Nor does baking a cake for a gay wedding require you to have intimate contact with the client. Taking another example, there is no material difference in renting a room to a gay couple or to a straight couple, and renting out rooms does not require intimate contact with the client: see e.g. Eadie and Thomas v. Riverbend Bed and Breakfast and others (No. 2), 2012 BCHRT 247 [Eadie].

[39] In contrast, in the case of genital waxing, I have found there is a material difference in waxing different types of genitals and that, because of its intimate nature, service providers must consent to provide service on a particular type of genitals. What the law requires is that, having chosen to provide a particular service, they must provide that service without discrimination. For example, a person who customarily waxes vulvas cannot discriminate amongst their clients with vulvas, and likewise for a person who customarily waxes scrotums. However, human rights legislation does not require a service provider to wax a type of genitals they are not trained for and have not consented to wax.

[40] In sum, I find that the term “brazilian wax” refers to the removal of genital hair from a person with a vulva. Removing hair from a scrotum does not fall within this service. This is largely dispositive of Ms. Yaniv’s genital waxing complaints because she has not persuaded me that waxing a scrotum was a service customarily provided by these Respondents.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:03 PM
Khan

Quote:

I must have misunderstood much of your posting history.

Quote:
Right now, yes, the courts seem to be ruling in ways that are reasonable. For example (Jessica Yaniv case), the courts have ruled "even though YOU feel you are a woman, other people disagree that you're a woman, and you're wrong and they're right: they can legally refuse you this woman-only service ("waxing the customer's genitals") and that's how this is settled."

Legally, that's pretty clear and the position expressed in this court ruling would almost certainly satisfy the "sometimes considered transphobic by SJWs" faction (i.e. many of the people who have posted in this thread so far).
The above recent post sounds like you think it is reasonable for any service providers who offer any services to women to deny transgendered women those services.

Quote:
I'm pretty confident I could defend in court that my gym only offers sophisticated holistic physical well-being programs that are specifically tailored to humans with ovaries, it's definitely not just dumb calorie-burning stuff, and make it fly. (I believe enough women would accept token gynecological services as a mandatory part of the gym experience, if that's the price to pay for a women-only gym, for it to work.)
In the above recent post, you seem to support the idea that a women-only gym should be able to deny services to transgendered women (for completely frivolous reasons [unless you can provide some shred of evidence that a physical-well being program that requires ovaries or female genitals in order to be able to participate actually exists or the the lack of ovaries or female genitals on the part of a participant would be unbearable for either the service provider or other clients).

Quote:
" 'He' [pronoun] used to refer to a man who identifies as a man or boy, or to a woman who identifies as a man or a boy" would be what some are arguing should be the definition nowadays.

I personally find it unreasonable - if you want to be called "he", you need to physically/hormonally transition at least a bit. That bar is low but it's there. I don't think it'll ever be possible to achieve widespread acceptance of the idea without at least a bar.
In the above recent post, you seem to take the position that you would not refer to a transgendered person with the pronoun or gender of their choice unless they had passed some arbitrary physical/hormonal transition test.

Perhaps I just keep misunderstanding you?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:13 PM

Why do you say I haven't read it? The one part I didn't know is whether the salon actually marketed the service as vagina waxing, which I'm betting they didn't.

Quote:
"In sum, I find that the term “brazilian wax” refers to the removal of genital hair from a person with a vulva."
^ This clashes with most of the definitions one can easily find of a brazilian wax. (Including what seems to be the American Academy of Dermatology's.)

Surely if the service is totally only about vaginas, then it would have to have been advertised as such? If you're only advertising you're waxing off the pubic hair of your customers, or at most in this specific case that you'll "remove the hair from the front of the pubic bone, around the external genitals, between the upper thighs, and around the anus" (the definition of a Brazilian wax) it doesn't hold water to try to make the whole argument about vaginas.

The argument "yes, but I'm specialized in vaginas" that was put forward doesn't work either - if the customer still wants you to do it even after having been warned it's not your specialty, it's on them. (That argument, if allowable, could be successfully used by, say, ultraconservative Muslim doctors to claim "sorry, I'm specialized in male patients" in Canada, and be able to legally refuse all women patients.)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:23 PM

Quote:
I must have misunderstood much of your posting history.
I can't reasonably expect you to remember my posts on that topic over the past few years and in various threads, so it's okay. But I do know very well that my opinion is that the most elegant solution to these issues, now that we know gender isn't strictly binary, is to just lump all humans into a single "humans" category for everything (bathrooms, the Olympics, etc.)

It's the only way to have no ambiguity, no grey areas, no court fights ever on anything gender-related.

Quote:
The above recent post sounds like you think it is reasonable for any service providers who offer any services to women to deny transgendered women those services.
IF we as a society want to allow the concept of service providers who only offer services to women - if we want to open that Pandora's Box and expose ourselves to lio45-unrecommended grey areas and court fights on what exactly is a woman - THEN we as a society have to allow these providers to only offer services to women.

Quote:
In the above recent post, you seem to support the idea that a women-only gym should be able to deny services to transgendered women (for completely frivolous reasons [unless you can provide some shred of evidence that a physical-well being program that requires ovaries or female genitals in order to be able to participate actually exists or the the lack of ovaries or female genitals on the part of a participant would be unbearable for either the service provider or other clients).
IF we as a society want to allow women-only gyms to exist - if we want to open that Pandora's Box and expose ourselves to lio45-unrecommended grey areas and court fights on what exactly is a woman - THEN we as a society have to allow these gyms to only accept women.

Quote:
In the above recent post, you seem to take the position that you would not refer to a transgendered person with the pronoun or gender of their choice unless they had passed some arbitrary physical/hormonal transition test.
I reserve the right to not be legally forced by some Human Rights Tribunal to address some random schmuck as "Sir" or "Your Majesty" if I don't want to, yes.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Some people – particularly women – are not comfortable working with the scrotum and penis.
Wouldn't this constitute "discrimination against people with a scrotum and penis"? It's like the textbook definition of discrimination, no? When that Super-Orthodox Jewish guy explained to the attendant that he was "not comfortable being seated next to a woman during the flight", etc.

Quote:
She says that it is common industry practice for certain businesses to restrict their services to “women” (meaning persons with a vulva) or “men” (meaning persons with a penis and scrotum).

(...)

As I will explain, this is consistent with the testimony of the Represented Respondents, which was that they intended to only provide their services to “women” – a term they define to mean persons with a vulva.
That really matches what I was saying earlier (before reading this ruling) - that one possible evolution at this point is that "man" and "woman" will become legally meaningless terms, and instead we'll eventually have "Bathroom for persons with a vulva" and "Bathroom for persons with a penis and scrotum", with enforcement. Basically everything just like before, except with things defined slightly differently.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:54 PM
Closed account

I was always under the impression that bathrooms were segregated by sex and not gender.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:59 PM

Is a gynecologist refusing to give you a circumcision a form of discrimination, lio45?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Is a gynecologist refusing to give you a circumcision a form of discrimination, lio45?
Yes, definitely, in my view, but that's not a problem because I've always been of the opinion that some discrimination is normal and reasonable in any society. (I personally "discriminate" all the time - I rent apts to people with great credit and a clean record, I don't rent apts to people with horrible credit and a long record of previous evictions, etc.)

But those who are intolerant of any form of discrimination, I'm curious to see what they think of the idea that some people working in the beauty industry may want to refuse male customers.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I was always under the impression that bathrooms were segregated by sex and not gender.
Pretty sure that's incorrect. The signs clearly say "Ladies" and "Gents", or "Men" and "Women", not "People with dicks" and "People with cunts".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada