HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 11:02 PM

Has anybody heard anything on the Edith or is these dead like Central Station?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 1:46 AM

I don’t know how to accurately post videos on here yet but there is a very informative video on YouTube about the TSMC plant that’s opening in Arizona in 2024. It’s on the CNBC channel.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:28 PM
self-important urbanista

Donnelly Building @ Central & McDowell

From the train this morning, I noticed that the low-rise office building on the southwest corner of Central & McDowell is being demolished. It was only about a decade old. Does anyone know if something new (hopefully taller) is replacing it?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:44 PM

I think this corner will need to have its own dedicated thread lol so much interest. Exit2Left, as of now, site was just cleared out and no plans that we know of.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:46 PM

Has anyone heard about where this is going, or if it's even a thing?

https://evaihotels.com/

It claims that the first EV Hotel will open in Downtown Phoenix in 2022.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:46 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I think this corner will need to have its own dedicated thread lol so much interest. Exit2Left, as of now, site was just cleared out and no plans that we know of.
I hope we don't end up with a situation like the one on the northwest corner where there was an interval of two decades between the demolition of the old Mountain Bell building and the construction of the Muse apartments.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
I don’t know how to accurately post videos on here yet but there is a very informative video on YouTube about the TSMC plant that’s opening in Arizona in 2024. It’s on the CNBC channel.
Its more about TSMC than Arizona but its good, thye also have one from may 20 minutes on AZ in general and the changes and growth in multiple industries in the last decade.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post
Has anyone heard about where this is going, or if it's even a thing?

https://evaihotels.com/

It claims that the first EV Hotel will open in Downtown Phoenix in 2022.
Interesting. I can't quite place the location of the rendering in the promo video, but it looks like it's supposed to be near the old post office building?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:17 PM

Honestly it looks like nonsense.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 11:19 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Honestly it looks like nonsense.
I'm still trying to figure out what a "crypto hotel" is.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what a "crypto hotel" is.
Something made up by a bored ASU student?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 11:13 PM

Anyone know what is going on with the hotel Behind Footprint Center?

They poured the foundation and built some 6 foot supports and it seems like it just stopped?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 12:34 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Anyone know what is going on with the hotel Behind Footprint Center?

They poured the foundation and built some 6 foot supports and it seems like it just stopped?
It's still going, but going very slow. It seems like the crew from the Pier is working on it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:57 PM

Fyi

One of my pain points when searching and looking for permits for new developments in Phoenix has been their website/solution. Anyways, looks like the Planning and Development Department (PDD) is going through a welcoming tech refresh and will be transitioning to a new a permitting system. Also, came across this "Community Map" where you can now find all open permits/zoning requests for any parcel.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pdd/mycommunitymap

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 5:52 PM

Howdy!

Took a nice jog and grabbed some pics yesterday. Here’s a link to the Imgur post: https://imgur.com/gallery/1s9l8dj

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 3:36 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...ntown-phoenix/

Looks like Moon tower will not be named Moon Tower

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 3:01 PM

How a former medical office will be transformed into boutique McDowell Hotel

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/h...cdowell-hotel/

Crappy old office building becoming a small hotel for hospital visitors, Nice gentrification.

Quote:
In recent years, adaptive reuse has become common practice in the construction industry. From factories transformed into chic lofts to historic buildings renovated into trendy restaurants, the trend to repurpose older and unused structures has become an enticing option for developers and owners. In Phoenix, one vacant medical office is currently being converted into the McDowell Hotel — a boutique hotel that will help meet the needs of a nearby hospital.

The office building, located on the northwest corner of McDowell Road and 12th Street, will soon become the McDowell Hotel. Situated across the street from Banner University Medical Center, it will cater to patients’ families and the surrounding area.

The four-story hotel, which will offer 40 extended stay suites and 60 traditional rooms, is near Valley Metro bus stops and approximately 1 mile from light rail stations, providing easy access to the city for guests. The development will also include four open spaces totaling 3,866 square feet, bike racks, a bike repair station, shaded walkways that meet the city’s Urban Walkable Code, a pool, and outdoor seating areas. Construction is projected to begin in March 2022 and is expected to last 15 months.

According to land use attorney Larry Lazuras, partner at Lazarus & Silvyn, the idea for the project was born a couple years ago when developer Terrence Plas approached him to determine if a hotel would be an option for the vacant offices. Lazarus, who has represented Banner in the past and sits on its board of directors, saw the hospital’s need for the accommodations and approached the health care system, which agreed that it would be able to utilize the space.

Daniel Post, CEO at Banner University Medical Center, says, “The feedback was pretty consistent that it would be great to have another option for patients’ families, as well as students and others who are considering coming here to work or train. To have something close to the hospital is a great asset.”

“There’s nothing immediately adjacent to the hospital,” Post continues. “For folks with a loved one here, not being far away has to be very comforting.”

The hotel will be part of the Miracle Mile, a stretch of McDowell Road between 7th Street and State Route 51 that was a premier shopping hub in the 1950s. Recent years have seen businesses and developers seeking to revitalize the area, according to the Phoenix Community Alliance Miracle Mile Revitalization Committee.

Lazarus explains that he and his associate Marci Rosenberg met with business owners along the Miracle Mile and in the adjacent Coronado Historic District to ensure community engagement and approval. The input they received resulted in design plan changes, including increased setbacks, the inclusion of additional open spaces and aspects of the exterior design.

Joel McCabe, vice president and COO at Trellis, a nonprofit affordable housing organization on Miracle Mile, sits on the city of Phoenix planning commission. He notes that the developers went an extra step when it came to the amount of community outreach that was done. “That’s how it should work with new developments. You have to have an open mind and listen,” he says.

Noise and traffic to the northern neighborhood were major factors. As such, the design omits north-facing patios and windows, and the pool will be located on the south side of the property to reduce disturbances to residents. And left turns out of the parking lot onto 12th Street will be prohibited, keeping traffic away from the neighborhood.

Lazarus concludes, “I can count on two hands the number of projects that are significant, that I enjoy doing and that are valuable to the community. This is one of them. Once it gets built, it’s going to be a benefit not only to Banner but also to the surrounding area.”
Nice improvement to this: https://goo.gl/maps/hRvEG1uXKZX3UiXk7

Interesting to see these smaller projects come about, I wish we could get some smaller dense apartment projects though.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:15 PM

Well its finally happened, we are no longer a cheap city

Phoenix ranks as 15th-least affordable city for housing

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/r...y-for-housing/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Has anybody heard anything on the Edith or is these dead like Central Station?
I noticed that the fence is not around where Edith is supposed to be anymore.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Well its finally happened, we are no longer a cheap city

Phoenix ranks as 15th-least affordable city for housing

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/r...y-for-housing/
Is the average price in San Jose really 1.4 Mil? I browsed around Zillow for a sec to see and it doesn’t look like the average is that much. I wonder where the SF area ends and San Jose area begins? Cause yeah, some of those west bay cities are really expensive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest