Witty comment fail

Randy tells me the kill limit is 2000 posts, so hurray for another year

1000th post.

time for an FPD

doh!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz
Anybody up for a small Saturday meet, maybe lunch, then cruise Downtown--I want to take some pics from certain "skyline" views since the hotel has kind of risen up quite a bit in the past few weeks. From Bell St. it's def changing the look. I can't wait for the RSA HQ to climb up in the air as well. Montgomery needs a new tallest for sure.

That sounds like a good idea, but which Saturday? I wouldn't be able to this Saturday. Let's plan for another one though...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 10:34 PM
Midtown Montgomery

First time trying night settings on the camera with something actually lit up in the capture. I think they turned out well considering I didn't have a tripod, and I'm not exactly a calm photo taker

Enjoy....... they turned out pretty neat.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 10:35 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1
That sounds like a good idea, but which Saturday? I wouldn't be able to this Saturday. Let's plan for another one though...
We should just discuss, as to get the most people.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 10:37 PM

In case people have not heard the County has purchased the entire block surrounded by McDonough, Adams, Lawrence and Washington...save for the Catholic Church property....they of course purchased the old Advertiser property some time ago.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 2:24 PM
Witty comment fail

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 6:34 PM

New subscriber here ... enjoyed skimming through all the previous posts. Very excited about the recent development in downtown and that to come. Thoraudio, did you ever get photos of the Kress or City Financial buildings?

Also, as far as commercial listings, I usually browse www.ccimnet.com. Do any of you know of a better web listing service? I'd really like to track the properties here in downtown that are currently on the market.

Many thanks.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 7:33 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSATower
New subscriber here ... enjoyed skimming through all the previous posts. Very excited about the recent development in downtown and that to come. Thoraudio, did you ever get photos of the Kress or City Financial buildings?

Also, as far as commercial listings, I usually browse www.ccimnet.com. Do any of you know of a better web listing service? I'd really like to track the properties here in downtown that are currently on the market.

Many thanks.
Welcome.

my Kress pics are here, there aren't many, as my camera decided to die half way through the tour.

http://thoraudio.net/montgomery/kress/

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 4:36 AM

Hello RSATower! Welcome to the forum.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2006, 1:32 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Downtown house gets a new mission

By David Irvin
Montgomery Advertiser

A new venue has entered the downtown jazz scene, bringing the term "swanky" right back to the Capital City.

Based off a similar design in New York, the Mission House opened two months ago in a century-old house at 461. S. Court St., right next to the Alabama Historical Commission and a few blocks from the federal courthouse.

Business leaders and local officials are excited about the club, which uses a tasteful blend of art, music and drink to create an atmosphere conducive to making deals.

"We feel that we are on the beginning wave on what is coming in downtown Montgomery," said Bryan Wooden, general manager of the Mission House, citing the extensive work being done at the city to revitalize the historic streets of Montgomery.

Downtown has long been a home to jazz -- the Sous La Terre jazz club has been operating for decades -- but the management of Mission House is trying something a little different.

"It is a brand new concept to Montgomery,"Wooden said.

Upon entering, visitors are immersed in cool jazz rhythms played throughout the wood-floored house, painted in warm, dark colors.

The high-ceilings of the Mission House leave plenty of space to decorate. Black and white pictures of famous jazz musicians like Miles Davis adorn the interior walls and original art from Montgomery artists adds a spark of color to many rooms.

The house's interior rooms were named after streets downtown, a sign, said Wooden, that the owners are dedicated to the city's downtown revitalization plan.

"(Young professionals) are the ones that appreciate the ambiance. They like the way it looks. They enjoy the crowd that gathers there," said Janet May, the city councilwoman who represents the district where the Mission House is located.

Wooden said that is the crowd they want to attract. With $7 to $8 cocktails, they are succeeding so far.

Most nights the facility is only available for rent. But it opens to the public at 5 p.m. Fridays and management is looking at expanding to another day of the week. It doesn't close until 2 a.m. Saturday.

Management is still filling dates at the present rental rates -- $200 to $300 will rent a single room in the house and accommodate 20 to 70 guests. Renting the whole house, which includes a bar, rooms and patio, and can accommodate 250 people -- costs $1,100.

The organizers of Minority Enterprise Development Week rented the Mission House for a mixer in September.

One of those in attendance was Douglas Jones, the vice president of small-business development for the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce. He said the response from the business community was "very favorable."

Business leaders commented "that Montgomery needed some place that had that kind of atmosphere, where people could casually converse," Jones said.

Wooden said that is part of the plan.

In about a month the Mission House will begin selling memberships to its "5:01 Club" for business or civic leaders who want to come to the venue mid-week with clientele or just to get caught up on the latest business gossip.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2006, 1:35 PM
Witty comment fail

Business = good... but I wish this was downtown instead.

Quote:
Industrial park a reality after 6-year struggle

By David Irvin
Montgomery Advertiser

A picturesque industrial park six years in the making officially opens for business today.

A pristine pecan grove surrounded by wetlands, the 324-acre plot was purchased by the county for more than $7 million in 2000. The idea was to set up a high-tech business park to attract research and high-tech businesses.

But the dot-com bust greatly diminished the city's chances of bringing in young, vibrant technology companies, since many were going out of business, said Bill Joseph, former chairman of the Montgomery County Commission.

"Just about the time we bought it was when all the Enron and all that high-tech just collapsed," Joseph said. "All the people who were looking at the option of building something just disappeared."

The county paid an additional $1.6 million out of its budget and $1.9 million in grants to fix up the property. But it wasn't until earlier this year that the first company, ProEthic Pharmaceuticals, opened its doors in the park.

"We have all the conveniences of Montgomery in a state-of-the-art industrial park, yet we're also situated ... in a serene pecan orchard," said Carl Whatley, the founder of ProEthic. "There aren't many places in Montgomery where you can have the best of both worlds."

Two more tenants are now moving in.

A company run by longtime Montgomery businessman Nimrod Frazer is building on speculation to rent out a 130,000-square-foot office building in the park. And Lamar Advertising, which currently operates on Mobile Highway, will break ground this afternoon on its new building.

"We still have parcels of land available for businesses to move in and set up operations. This park already is and will continue to be a catalyst for economic growth here in Montgomery," current Commission Chairman Todd Strange said in a statement.

Following the groundbreaking, attendees are invited to attend an open house at ProEthic's 43,000-square-foot headquarters, on 10 acres in the center of the park.

The grand opening event begins at 1:30 p.m. today at the Montgomery Industrial Park, which is located just off Interstate 85 at the Mitylene exit.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 3:41 AM
Witty comment fail

H.H. Gregg coming to Montgomery
Quote:
A senior official at appliance and electronics retailer H.H. Gregg confirmed today the company would open a store by late fall near one of Montgomery’s busiest intersections.

The 36,000-square-foot facility will be located at 2654 East Boulevard, near two of its chief competitors — Best Buy and Circuit City — and just blocks from the intersection of Vaughn Road and East Boulevard. The store will employ about 40.

Founded in 1955, H.H. Gregg is one of the nation’s leading retailers of home appliances and consumer electronics. The company’s nearest Alabama store is in Huntsville, according to its Web site.

“We know there is a strong base of people to pull from, so we feel that we provide a nice career path for people and a place that we want to do business,” said Jeff Pearson, vice president of marketing.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 4:04 AM

The county quickly bought the land for this industrial park out of its reserve account because a major semi-conductor manufacturer and a computer manufacturer began seriously inquiring about the property after SSG, a software company for the Air Force at Gunter Annex, won another big contract from the Defense Dept. and expressed that they wanted to work closely with major computer and processor companies in order to produce hardware that can make their software the most effective.

This was to be, at the time, the biggest economic development project in the county in years if the deal had gone through and the county could then annouce the name or names of the companies that were coming. (This was before Hyundai deal came along.)

But as Bill Joseph confirmed, this all happened just before the tech bubble bursted, and most of the big tech companies had to regroup by pulling back their plans for the future... including the huge prospects for the industrial park. (rumored to be Dell, AMD)

It was just unfortunate timing by the county commision, but it's begining to work out great anyway.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio
H.H. Gregg coming to Montgomery
...told y'all...

One of my favorite stores in Atlanta, H.H. Gregg will blow the other stores out the water...if they do it right.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 11:07 AM

Where, exactly, is H. H. Gregg going?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 1:28 PM
Midtown Montgomery

It said within blocks of the Vaughn/Eastern Blvd intersection and close to it's competitors Best Buy & Circuit City.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 2:34 PM
Witty comment fail

I'd guess the old McLendon furniture building. Which would be bad news for Cohens....

Or maybe the former bookstore there in Vaughn Plaza.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 3:33 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Sleeker stadium in city's strategy

By Marty Roney
Montgomery Advertiser

PRATTVILLE -- Prattville Lions fans expect their football team to be ranked No. 1 in Class 6A when the new polls come out Wednesday.

Expectations are also running high over planned improvements to the home of the Lions, Stanley-Jensen Stadium.

Over the next three to five years, about $1.5 million in renovations and additions are planned for the facility. That sum does not include about $660,000 the city spent last year to install artificial turf.

"We want to do the work in phases, and we want to pay as we go," said Prattville Mayor Jim Byard. Byard is a 1984 graduate of Prattville High School and a Lions season ticket holder.

"I think by the end of this football season we will have a solid plan in place showing where we need to go," Byard said. "You will likely see new field houses, a new concession stand and a new press box in the first phase."

Additional seating is also planned for both the home and visitor sections. A crowd of 10,000 watched the No. 2-raanked Lions come out on top Friday night when they hosted No. 4 Opelika. After the game, it was announced that No. 1 Hoover High School had been defeated, leaving the Lions set to take over the top slot.

"I'm glad the city is putting some money into the stadium. It's the place to be every Friday night," said Lions fan Nate Franklin. "I'm sure the attendance is up because we've had a winning team for the past few years.

"Think about it. Prattville is a city of about 35,000, and we have one high school. Of course everybody is going to go crazy for the Lions," Franklin said.

While Friday night football is almost a religion to many in Prattville, the city's plan for the stadium is not without its detractors.

"Spending that much money on a stadium is ridiculous," said Ann Carter of Prattville. "If the city wants to help out the schools, give that money for a science lab or spend it at the public library."

Byard said library improvements are included in the five-year capital improvement plan the city is drawing up.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 3:42 PM
Witty comment fail

I wish I still lived in Mtgy. Less commute, more 'urban' etc...

but I gotta tell ya. Prattville is a great little city, and watching the entire community support the football team is really neat. Prattville Lions banners on every other car... 10,000 at a football game in a city of 25,000. Tremendous community feeling.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 3:45 PM
Witty comment fail

What does everybody think about Oct. 28 as a possible meet date?

Auburn's on the road at Ole Miss, UAT has Florida college for the blind and infirm.

I've gotta ask my boss to see if she'll let me do it but it may be a good date.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast