HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

220 Central Park South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
I'm less a fan of Stern than I was, but how can you not LOVE 15 Central Park West? I think unfortunately in this building's case, two things against it architecturally in my mind:

1) From my lay person's perspective it seems to copy almost verbatim 30 Park Place downtown. Lame (and I prefer 30 Park Place for a host of reasons)

2) The north-south angle is fine, even if it's a copy of 30 PP and has that traditional "Stern for the wealthy" look repeated time and time again. However, it is WAY too skinny from the east-west angle!! I don't like a tower this tall being so lopsided in dimensions.

My humble opinion.

I like the skinny aspect as seen from the east and west. It looks elegant. And we knew the building would be as wide as possible facing the Park, for obvious reasons. I'd like to see a bit more detail in the exterior, but for me, that's true of most of Stern's designs. And I think the crown could more refined, or could have a defining feature.

Overall, I think it's terrific. I just worry that 225 W 57th's Cthulhu architecture looming over it will lessen the impact of 220 CPS.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ Sure did. We need a super-villain to move into that penthouse. I can't wait to take photos of this. It should also work nicely with 111 W. 57th as a NY classic.
Thats a great idea NYguy. I have heard rumblings that the next Bond film might take place in NYC (which imo is long overdue). If that does indeed happen, this would be a perfect film location for the next Bond villain lair.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:59 PM

Very elegant building. Nordstrom Tower will 'photo bomb' from many angles.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:04 PM
New Yorker for life

^ The Nordstrom has me concerned right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
Thats a great idea NYguy. I have heard rumblings that the next Bond film might take place in NYC (which imo is long overdue). If that does indeed happen, this would be a perfect film location for the next Bond villain lair.

Maybe they should bring back Dr. Evil.

http://content.time.com/time/special...078213,00.html

Stern knows what works, and what sells. This is a taller, refined version of 15 CPW, complete with smaller sidekick. Of course, the people at 15 CPW get the added benefit of seeing this beauty.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:11 PM

Very nice...I wonder if 1.) This persuades Barnett and his people to re-think and improve the preliminary design of Nordstrom tower (which they might have been doing already) and 2.) If this puts pressure on them to release detailed renderings sooner rather than later

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:25 PM

This building is A number 1, king of the hill, top of the heap. Even if this is a building for the .01%, these kinds of projects are the pride of the entire city.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 6:49 PM

Very Classy. One of my new favs.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:02 PM

Hopefully this raises the bar for all the upcoming towers.

We already know 111 W 57 will be spectacular, but the initial rough images of 225 W. 57 are disappointing, and we have no idea what's planned for the Shvo tower, the Vornado site at 31 W. 57, the Solow site at 16-18 W. 57, or the Durst site at 52 W. 57.

So we really have four towers where we have no clue re. design, and a fifth with only a rough outline. And on CPS we have a sixth where we have no clue with the former Helmsley Park Lane site.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:12 PM

I dislike the lack of a glass curtain wall, that's very disappointing. I thought we were kind of done with stone by now. I mean I know 30 Park Place is the same, but I figured that was a one time deal. Not a huge fan of Stern.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:31 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

This is very exciting and quite the surprise! The tapering/crown is sophisticated and classic, which I greatly admire.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:42 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Amazing! Really hope this unveiling puts pressure on Extel to have a better design for 225.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:57 PM
BANNED

It's super thin

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:58 PM

^^If not then this tower will essentially be a small distraction from "random-box-tower".

Oh and can we get a diagram for this?

Last edited by King DenCity; Jan 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:16 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

At ground level...

220 Central Park South adds 14-story adjacent building
Renderings revealed at Vornado's Robert A.M. Stern-designed condo
Mark Maurer January 15, 2014 02:35PM

Quote:
Vornado Realty Trust unveiled renderings for the Robert A.M. Stern-designed condominium tower at 220 Central Park South that reveal a second, smaller 14-story structure on the site.
It looks like that 14 story building will be what's directly on CPS

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:30 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
It looks like that 14 story building will be what's directly on CPS
We pretty much already knew that the main tower wouldn't be directly on CPS because of the deal Vornado made with Extel to get them out of the underground garage lease, where Vornado had to shift the tower as far west as possible to not block views for 225. This is also why Extel is trying to cantilever his tower over the ASL to the east.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:39 PM

Nordstrom tower will look even more ugly next to this beauty. Do you think that Barnett will go full height with his tower now?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:02 PM

Let's hope so. and with a better design too.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:51 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
We pretty much already knew that the main tower wouldn't be directly on CPS because of the deal Vornado made with Extel to get them out of the underground garage lease, where Vornado had to shift the tower as far west as possible to not block views for 225. This is also why Extel is trying to cantilever his tower over the ASL to the east.

Ahh-- gotcha. I wouldn't want the main tower on CPS, either. I guess it kinda worked out on its own.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 10:58 PM

Very nice. I do wish one of these ultra-luxe buildings would really fully embrace ornament, though; it would be great to start writing ornamental design back into the skyline, and god knows these projects could afford to do so. And this one, like 30 Park Place, is already built with traditional aesthetics in mind, so it could really support it in a great way.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 11:59 PM

The crown, massing, and materials, are just perfect for this location. I imagine Stern has something similar planned for his 60th St building, but I can't wait to see what he's come up with.

Any ideas on funding?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive