HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 3:06 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
It's a shame that despite being close to the Indiana station, it still has that many parking spaces.
Do a lot of families do their grocery shopping by L? The bus is one thing, but who carries bags of groceries three blocks and then up the stairs to the L platform to wait for a train back home?

As far as the number of spaces, isn't it also to serve the stores going into the "8,000 square feet of commercial space for other retailers?"

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 3:17 PM
TL;DR

^ No. This site plan shows 374 parking spaces oriented towards the Marianos, then about 70 spaces in a side area for the other retailers. The number posted earlier was 363, but maybe they deleted a few spaces to add more landscaping or pedestrian accommodations.

Also interesting to note that 38th will be re-opened between King and Rhodes, and the store will hold the corner of King and Pershing (although I'm betting we will see blank walls with vines like every other urban Mariano's). Still, though, it should be a fairly decent walk from the bus stop to the store entrance.

https://britontheblock.files.wordpre...-site-plan.png

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ No. This site plan shows 374 parking spaces oriented towards the Marianos, then about 70 spaces in a side area for the other retailers.

https://britontheblock.files.wordpre...-site-plan.png
The permit says 363 parking spaces. So either the permit is wrong, or they got rid of 11 spaces.

""New 1 story Mariano's grocery store, type III-B construction, 'Core and Shell' permit per plans. Separate permit for the interior build-out will be applied for after the 'Core and Shell' is completed. Project includes a surface parking lot with 363 parking spaces, 2 loading berths. **CERTIIFIED PLAN CORRECTIONS - CONDITIONAL PERMIT SUBJECT TO FIELD INSPECTION**""

I think for the developer, it's probably easier to just build the parking lot. While Bronzeville is rebuilding, it might be a good play to sit on that land for awhile if the neighborhood kind of takes off. That way they'd make a lot more money. Sucks though because if that's the case, it'll be years before you'd see them selling for a profit. Look at the US Bank parking lot on Clark just north of Chicago Ave. It took how many years for them to finally realize it's worth a ton of money and to sell it to a developer?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 7:41 PM
MPLSXCHI

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Various South Side news:

1) Bronzeville Mariano's received its building permit yesterday. This will go at about Pershing & King Drive on a vacant lot. 363 parking spaces, which is unfortunate, but the grocery store being built down there is great. It also points to, I think, the ever going revitalization of the area.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/7...mmunity-effort
I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing about a Mariano's for South Shore sometime within the next few weeks. When I went to the ward meeting about the new HP hotel proposal, Hairston hinted that this month's ward meeting would focus on a new development for South Shore, and I know she met with Bob Mariano to scout out a site.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 11:08 PM

Didn't want to put this in highrise thread, but with the Ed debevics tower moving along has anyone heard what's to come of the restaurant? I gotta believe they're going to relocate, for as much of a groaner it is it's always been very popular.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing about a Mariano's for South Shore sometime within the next few weeks. When I went to the ward meeting about the new HP hotel proposal, Hairston hinted that this month's ward meeting would focus on a new development for South Shore, and I know she met with Bob Mariano to scout out a site.
That's cool - wonder where it would go. Isn't there something about Mariano's going where food deserts are and the city wants them there? At least their prices are better than WF.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Do a lot of families do their grocery shopping by L? The bus is one thing, but who carries bags of groceries three blocks and then up the stairs to the L platform to wait for a train back home?
I do. All of the time. A couple of times a week, I swing by the Jewel at State and Grand, pick up a few things that fit in my backpack and am sometimes on the L within two minutes of paying.

A city done right is an awesome thing.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 8:37 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Interesting... hopefully JLL can get this into the hands of someone who can do something really special with the Pritzker Park site.

I'm also hoping the city doesn't select a developer purely based on land price... there is definitely some public obligation when developing a site that is currently a park. After all, if the city is willing to sell the land for below market value, that opens all sorts of possibilities for the developer to build public amenities.

I'd love to see a transfer passage built between the L and the subways, and maybe some kind of plaza/open space at ground level that could be activated by food vendors. Maybe like this with a few more floors stacked on top:

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 3:23 PM
Urbane observer

^I think a generous winter garden at the bottom of the new Park District office building would be better for our climate, and would make a logical link for an indoor transfer between L and subway (could remain a walking transfer rather than have a segregated paid area. It can be more closely supervised/managed to make it less of a hangout for homeless guys and more attractive to students and office workers.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 4:34 PM

^ both excellent ideas

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 5:32 PM
The City

What's being built west of the Kennedy next to the Irving Park Metra stop?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
What's being built west of the Kennedy next to the Irving Park Metra stop?
http://ward45.org/wp-content/uploads...evelopment.pdf

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 6:24 PM

Quote:
I wonder if she was hinting towards World Fresh Market taking over the old Dominick's location.
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...for-new-grocer

It would be great if something came out of her scouting trip with Bob Mariano, though.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Don't forget about the Mariano's being built at the Lakeside development. It will be located at the northeast corner of 87th & Lake Shore Drive. Kind of funny how the first development to occur on the site is not one of the many highrises McCaffery imagined, but a grocery store. Oh well, at least another food desert bites the dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
After doing a bit more looking around, it appears that the unit count will be 18 rentals with 18 residential parking spots on top of the 39 spots for the retail. So much for TOD . The bright side is that Irving Park is getting rentals it desperately needs.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
After doing a bit more looking around, it appears that the unit count will be 18 rentals with 18 residential parking spots on top of the 39 spots for the retail. So much for TOD . The bright side is that Irving Park is getting rentals it desperately needs.
By the PD docs it's max 30 res and min 38 spots with 20 bike.

They did it under B2, so the first floor on the South bldg contains Apts not parking.

Ya, it's not full blown TOD, but it's a pretty good jump, considering it's in the middle of an RS-2 district. If they can get a reasonable mix of shops, it'll be a good fit up there.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 1:22 AM
tilted & shifted

Great news for anyone following the preservation battle on Burton Place!

Quote:
You may have wondered whether your signature on the Save Our Story petition could possibly make a difference. It did. As did the participation of everyone who signed. Through our combined efforts on a variety of fronts, the developer was persuaded to sell 159 West Burton Place to someone who intends to preserve the building, and the demolition permit has been rescinded. Congratulations to all who cared enough about our special street to express their support and help save it. But our efforts and the community that was formed in response to the threat will continue. We ask you to remain committed to achieve full landmark status for the block and stay in touch by checking this website over the coming months as we work together towards that goal. Thank you for Saving Our Street.
http://www.sos-saveourstory.org/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 1:31 PM
BANNED

8-16

Riverwalk, Wells to Franklin. I'm thrilled that there is no lapse in construction between the two "phases". This will be ready next spring/summer.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Great news for anyone following the preservation battle on Burton Place!

http://www.sos-saveourstory.org/
pretty impressed to see this worked for once. good news!

it boggles my mind how some commenters were calling the building ugly and an eyesore. it might not be gilded, but its an extremely handsome piece of architecture. its only a testament to our riches how easily we can cast stuff like this aside.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
pretty impressed to see this worked for once. good news!

it boggles my mind how some commenters were calling the building ugly and an eyesore. it might not be gilded, but its an extremely handsome piece of architecture. its only a testament to our riches how easily we can cast stuff like this aside.
Thank God it did. It would have totally ruined that row if the developer were allowed to build some ugly ass pomo happy brick turd right in the middle of that stunning row of avant garde architecture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development