HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Interesting. You can see the brick on the building to the left too.

I always felt like this stretch of Barrington had a lot of potential but was held back by many little holes and bad renos. The city hasn't dealt with this area very effectively.
Still wondering if that is "fake brick" siding on the pizza shop, though. On the current-day view you can see half the side wall is exposed brick and half siding... curious.

Also, on the subject building, you can see the north wall appears to be exposed brick masonry while the other faces appear to be wood siding.

I agree that the city hasn't dealt with these areas very effectively. Even now, with all the development going on, I'm still struck by how many empty lots exist that have been empty for many years.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 9:39 PM

Here's an interesting Municipal Archives image from the early 1960s looking north along Brunswick Street at the intersection with Duke/Rainnie. Comparing it to the image from Google below, there is not one landmark that's recognizable between the two photos other than the road surface itself.

Search for "148 (1875) Market St. [City Market Building]"

From Google:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64848...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 10:23 PM

Another pic from the Municipal Archives of the corner of Hollis Street and Buckingham Street, with Granville Street in the background. Today, that section of Granville is the Granville Mall and the main building in the photo is the one with the "Welcome To Historic Properties" sign on it.

Search for "Hollis St. [corner of Buckingham St.?]"

From Google:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.65041...8i6656!6m1!1e1

What really intrigues me about this is once you go into Google 3D mode and look at that view from above, it appears that there is still a ghost image of Buckingham St. that exists as a gap in the buildings all the way up to Brunswick:

To make it more obvious:

Compare it to the early 1960s map:

Weird, eh?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

What really intrigues me about this is once you go into Google 3D mode and look at that view from above, it appears that there is still a ghost image of Buckingham St. that exists as a gap in the buildings all the way up to Brunswick:

To make it more obvious:

Weird, eh?
The way I understand it, Scotia Square's design intent was to replicate the street grid, but bring it to the interior... a failure in terms of preserving street activity and privatizing what was a public way, but an interesting concept at the time.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:15 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Definitely was burned. From the boarded up windows, it might have been abandoned before it burned. Haven't seen any other information on this building, though.

The info on the clock is interesting. I wonder where it ended up.
i would have been boarded up after it burned. - if it was pre-boarded, the boards would have burned too.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The way I understand it, Scotia Square's design intent was to replicate the street grid, but bring it to the interior... a failure in terms of preserving street activity and privatizing what was a public way, but an interesting concept at the time.
Interesting idea, but in the many times I've been in the complex over the years I've never been struck with the impression that there was a replication of any street grid. I suppose at this point in time so much has been changed that the original concept is long gone anyhow.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
i would have been boarded up after it burned. - if it was pre-boarded, the boards would have burned too.
True enough, but it's not clear from the photos how far down it burned - might have been only the top floor where there are no boards, but then the trim below the mansard roof looks to have smoke residue while the window frames on the second floor appear to be clean. Makes more sense that it would have been boarded up after burning.

Just useless speculation on my part, though. Would be interesting to know the story, but not necessary. More pertinent is that the lot has been vacant for over 40 years....

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Interesting idea, but in the many times I've been in the complex over the years I've never been struck with the impression that there was a replication of any street grid. I suppose at this point in time so much has been changed that the original concept is long gone anyhow.
I don't think it ever worked, or really felt like a street grid. A colleague told me once that he'd seen drawings... or a model... or drawings and a model... that tried to make the case for continuing the street grid inside the complex. He was saying how easy it was to bend reality with the way the building was represented.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:21 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Still wondering if that is "fake brick" siding on the pizza shop, though. On the current-day view you can see half the side wall is exposed brick and half siding... curious.

Also, on the subject building, you can see the north wall appears to be exposed brick masonry while the other faces appear to be wood siding.

I agree that the city hasn't dealt with these areas very effectively. Even now, with all the development going on, I'm still struck by how many empty lots exist that have been empty for many years.
looking into the fire. a date it burned would help.

Curiously i found this http://www.halifax.ca/archives/halif...21p151-281.pdf form 1986, which is the DA to open the beverage room next door, and retain this lot as parking, which has been the case ever since.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I don't think it ever worked, or really felt like a street grid. A colleague told me once that he'd seen drawings... or a model... or drawings and a model... that tried to make the case for continuing the street grid inside the complex. He was saying how easy it was to bend reality with the way the building was represented.
Interesting idea. I would have liked to see how they intended to make the concept work.

Thanks for relating the info.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:

Curiously i found this http://www.halifax.ca/archives/halif...21p151-281.pdf form 1986, which is the DA to open the beverage room next door, and retain this lot as parking, which has been the case ever since.
Interesting. I remember when Bearly's first opened, but for some reason I've never been in the place. Hasn't been a conscious decision, it just hasn't happened. I also noted in the old photograph that the Bearly's building contained a restaurant at the time - perhaps that helped the case for the beverage room to be accepted by the residents of the area.

One would think that as the value of the land increases that we'll see a proposal to develop the empty lot, and likely the pizza shop on the corner. Just speculation as usual, of course, with no basis in fact as there still seems to be a greater desire to tear down existing buildings rather than develop empty lots.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 10:39 PM
armchairitect

Quote:

fire details, from my contact at the Halifax Fire Historical Society.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 12:19 AM

Loved that report! It's a style of news-writing you do not often see these days.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 1:09 AM

Quote:
fire details, from my contact at the Halifax Fire Historical Society.
Hey thanks for the research, Zio. You were absolutely right.

Had no idea that there had been a restaurant there also. Very interesting article, and Keith's right, you don't see that kind of news writing much these days - refreshing, actually.

I'm also curious which building burnt down at the corner of Duke and Barrington by 1974 it would have been on the east side of Barrington as Scotia Square and City Hall were on the west. I'll have to look through some more photos.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 3:51 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Another pic from the Municipal Archives of the corner of Hollis Street and Buckingham Street, with Granville Street in the background. Today, that section of Granville is the Granville Mall and the main building in the photo is the one with the "Welcome To Historic Properties" sign on it.
To make it more obvious:

Compare it to the early 1960s map:

Weird, eh?
It shows how easy it would have been to keep Buckingham Street without really sacrificing much space for Scotia Square. If they could have foreseen the distant future (the present) then they could have had street level retail along Buckingham Street to make it inviting for pedestrians.

It is sad to think of how little planning would have been required to make Scotia Square a much more pedestrian friendly complex.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It shows how easy it would have been to keep Buckingham Street without really sacrificing much space for Scotia Square. If they could have foreseen the distant future (the present) then they could have had street level retail along Buckingham Street to make it inviting for pedestrians.

It is sad to think of how little planning would have been required to make Scotia Square a much more pedestrian friendly complex.
Also interesting to note that the pedway from Scotia Square over Albemarle St to Brunswick St is right in that old Buckingham St corridor.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Loved that report! It's a style of news-writing you do not often see these days.
Agreed. So much interesting detail. I remember the big deal when Halifax Fire acquired the "snorkel" truck. Funny how it was brought up in the article.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:

I'm also curious which building burnt down at the corner of Duke and Barrington by 1974 it would have been on the east side of Barrington as Scotia Square and City Hall were on the west. I'll have to look through some more photos.
I've been racking my brain on that one too. Ziobrop says the article is from 86. I worked at Delta Barrington in '89, (not sure when it was built) but it was definitely not new at that time. I also feel like I remember the CIBC building being there for quite a time too. That's all the corners of Duke and Barrington.

EDIT: I see that 1986 is the date of the DA link, not the Herald article. This fire was clearly earlier than this then. Google tells me the CIBC bank went up in 77, still not sure about the Delta. Seems likely it was in the 70's or early 80's though based on the style.

Last edited by terrynorthend; Apr 15, 2017 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 11:43 PM

Delta must have gone up in the mid to late '70s as I remember being in a seminar there in the early '80s and I don't think it was new.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Delta must have gone up in the mid to late '70s as I remember being in a seminar there in the early '80s and I don't think it was new.
Sounds about right. When I worked there in banquets, we had "new" and "old" chairs. The old chairs were green upholstered with a gold metal trim. Worn and ugly. Looked like late 70's vintage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos