HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 12:57 AM
Bla Bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
A good shot of district 1 and 3 with Phu Nhuan in the distance. The city seems to go on forever.
i only know how District might Look like about 7 year ago. not sure how's 3 and Phu nhuan belike . all i know is thru the internet . actually i've never seen my city downtown nearly my whole life :/ but again thanks to the internet

new high rise by the river i guess

Saigon by TRAVEL4VITALITY, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 12:54 PM

Yep. That's the Sai Gon River - runs right through the city before merging with the Dong Nai River near the sea.

Good shot of the Bitexco Tower, Times Square (big green, ugly building) and the new Vietcombank HQ.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 4:04 PM
Bla Bla

IMG_5473 by fayuan_207, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 9:19 PM
Bla Bla

VietcombankTower_01 của ProCaste, trên Flickr

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 3:26 AM

^That Liberty Central building (attached to the Renaissance Hotel) just kind of appeared one day. I don't remember seeing it under construction. I'm not even sure what it is - appears to be a hotel with some commercial on the ground floor.

Photo taken from across the river in a rapidly developing part of the city. A couple years ago it was largely an undeveloped mangrove swamp. Now apartments and townhouses and popping up all over the peninsula and there's talk that it'll be the site of a new financial centre in years to come.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 4:42 PM
Bla Bla

Saigon is suppose to be 1 of the Largest City in Asia by now if we didn't have the freaking stupid dictator commie ruling us ......................... those stupid people hold us back so much. like we suppose to be the largest one in South East Asia back in the Vietnam War . even singapore can't Compare. .............. wasted . this land (saigon) is the land of the Opportunity .

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 6:17 PM
I catch dinosaurs...

yes, because before 1975, South Vietnam was more democratic and prosperous and equal than Sweden!

Since 1985, Vietnam has lifted a larger percentage of its population out of poverty than any other country.

You should probably read more.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 6:08 PM
Bla Bla

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 6:10 PM
Bla Bla

really u got any article on it ?. and after the war we were really POOR
the Vietnam war is really long 30 year fighting its really hold back A nation from growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelard View Post
yes, because before 1975, South Vietnam was more democratic and prosperous and equal than Sweden!

Since 1985, Vietnam has lifted a larger percentage of its population out of poverty than any other country.

You should probably read more.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:22 PM
I catch dinosaurs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKool View Post
really u got any article on it ?. and after the war we were really POOR
the Vietnam war is really long 30 year fighting its really hold back A nation from growing
sure, no problem. and sorry if I was rude. David Elliott's Changing Worlds is probably one of the best recent studies of Vietnam's postwar economic growth.
http://www.amazon.com/Changing-World.../dp/0195383346
And Huy Duc's Ben Thang Cuoc is also very good, if you read Vietnamese (there'll probably be an English translation soon).
http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Thang-Cuoc...ben+thang+cuoc

as for books on the war, there are hundreds. i'd be happy to suggest some which (i think) are balanced.

To make a long story short, the reasons why Vietnam was so poor after the war have as much to due with South Vietnamese corruption and ineptitude and authoritarianism as they do with Northern ineptitude and authoritarianism (and, more and more these days, corruption). South Vietnam was in absolutely terrible shape by the early 1970s, and it could well have collapsed on its own even if the Communists hadn't invaded. Vietnam's progress since then has been remarkable, in spite of considerable blunders by the party, and US-Chinese efforts to "bleed Vietnam white" by supporting Khmer Rouge guerrillas until the early 90s. The party has lost a lot of its lustre though in the past few years, and there's certainly ample grounds to criticize it within the confines of reality, without having to appeal to an imaginary self-serving golden age of freedom and prosperity that people who have never set foot outside Orange County insist on clinging to.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 3:26 PM
Bla Bla

beside . The American and their allies after the war they Close Diplomacy to VietNam no trading none anything, until 1995 both side come to agreement. and yea so basiclly we are left behind compare to other country around us :ohno: shameful such a big gap.

All the Picture in this thread should Be Saigon in the Era of 80's . if the War didn't happend or both side come to peaceful agreement

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 8:13 AM

Giai Phong, incidentally, landed the author - Huy Duc - in deep, deep trouble. Should he ever decide to come back to Vietnam, he could very well find himself in cuffs - not the French variety - but then he knew that when he decided to publish it.

The book itself is neither pro nor anti-Communist per se but it does go into great detail about things the government would rather keep quiet; those years after the war were very, very difficult for those on the losing side. To be fair, they were hard for everybody. However, I think it's also fair to say that life would have been pretty sh*t even if South VN had won the war but then there was never any risk of that happening, so...

Anyway, we could talk VN all day and just spin around in circles. It's a very interesting place to be right now getting more interesting by the moment.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 8:48 PM
Bla Bla

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 5:42 AM

^I love the crane on top of the Bitexco building. It reminds me of a giant laser gun or something. Very cool.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 8:46 PM
Bla Bla

lol agree . good thing to have on the roof in-case SAigon being invaded by others

Quote:
^I love the crane on top of the Bitexco building. It reminds me of a giant laser gun or something. Very cool.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 8:47 PM
Bla Bla

Busy river by Roving I, on Flickr

Along the waterfront by Roving I, on Flickr

Sundown in Saigon by Roving I, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 11:34 AM

Great photos.

The building at the far left of each pic has looked like that for almost a year now. I haven't read anything about it but I'm guessing the developer has run out of money. Too bad.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:56 PM
Bla Bla

yep it's ran out of money to at least finish the CLADDING PROGRESS that's the second tallest building in Saigon 192m

and for the saigon diagram there's isn't many on the skycraperpage.. does anyone know how to create them ?

Quote:
Great photos.

The building at the far left of each pic has looked like that for almost a year now. I haven't read anything about it but I'm guessing the developer has run out of money. Too bad.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 2:20 AM
Bla Bla

Skyline from the west .. this angle show more building than the angle from the River front

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 1:30 PM

How big will this city grow? Kinda scary, really.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific