HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Or just call the team Montreal.

The point I'm making is that people will jokingly call them clubfoot instead of Montreal or CF Montreal.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 3:20 AM
ハルウララ

Since we're on this subject, York9 rebranded in December to York United

https://northerntribune.ca/york-united-rebrand/

Easily the worst brand in the CPL so i'm fine seeing it switched up. Normal complaints about boring United, etc. etc.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 4:18 AM

York 9 was a real stretch. The vast majority of York Region residents couldn't tell you there are 9 municipalities let alone name them. There's no unique or common identity between these places that would result in taking pride of one team that represents your Region. York Region represent!... said no one.

They didn't even play in York Region. They played across the road on the other side of Steeles in North York, Toronto. Actually, where they are supposed to eventually play, will probably be in Vaughan. Vaughan, particularly the bottom half, not surprisingly, seems to have a more of a link with North York, Toronto than say Newmarket or Georgina or Markham. Or even next door Richmond Hill.

If there was a team called New York 5, then there might be an argument for that. Toronto 6ix would make sense, but not because of the 6 former municipalities. Most people wouldn't even draw that conclusion. They would just think of it as The 6ix being one of the city's nicknames.

I love the unique names of several of the CPL clubs. Can't say this about York United but it's better than York 9. Actually, now that I think about it, they play at York U campus and you know how people call Manchester United Man U, well... York U playing at York U!

I wonder where they got the crown from.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post

I wonder where they got the crown from.
The designer was sitting at a red light, looked to their right and the idea came to them lol

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
The designer was sitting at a red light, looked to their right and the idea came to them lol

There might be something to that.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Since we're on this subject, York9 rebranded in December to York United

https://northerntribune.ca/york-united-rebrand/

Easily the worst brand in the CPL so i'm fine seeing it switched up. Normal complaints about boring United, etc. etc.
I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I really liked York9's old brand, logo and uniforms. I liked the bold, modern style. However I'm not familiar enough withe the York Region's civic identity to know how it would have been received... apparently it wasn't a hit.

The new logo is OK, but it looks kind of like the generic copycat soccer team logo. The olde-tyme look, the crown, 'united'. Like some kind of 'create a team' thing in an EA game. Bonus points for at least staying away from "York FC".

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 12:53 AM
ハルウララ

League 1 Ontario announced four teams will be joining the league for 2021
  • Guelph United
  • Waterloo United
  • Scrosoppi FC (Milton)
  • St. Catharines Roma Wolves

Waterloo's crest is kind of blah, SCRW use Roma's standard logo, and Scrosoppi doesn't have anything yet, but I think Guelph's new crest is decent:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:12 AM

How long before Scrosoppi changes their name? Had to look that up. The patron saint of soccer! Didn't know there was such a thing.

And it's not even a branding thing. It's not like there's fans buying their gear or commentators calling their games. I just think all the players and coaches will get tired of mumbling their way through that name.

And Guelph's logo is kind of like Guelph U Gryphons, no? Ultimately though, I'm not sure what they're going for here.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:24 AM

Quote:
How long before Scrosoppi changes their name? .
It sounds like the expletive you would say once you had driven through the loveliness known as Milton. The Jewel of the 401 corridor.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:21 AM

For whatever reason, it made me think of this logo that I've seen when visiting the GTA:

I always found it to be an unusual logo. One of these days I'll have to stay at one of their hotels.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:33 PM

There's one five minutes from my house. Every time I pass one it reminds me of a perfect name for a nice motel in Niagara.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:25 PM
ハルウララ

https://twitter.com/SimcoeRoversFC/s...208455/photo/1

New League1 Ontario team in Barrie

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:15 PM

^ I love that... it's a great combination of modern and traditional and the colour scheme is very satisfying. That might just be the best soccer identity I've ever seen in Canada.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 8:12 PM
ハルウララ

New branding and wordmark for the Portland Winterhawks

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/07...ears/hockey-2/

Designed by Brian Gundell who also did the Seattle Kraken and San Diego Padres logos.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 8:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

looks more like a bald eagle to me
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
For whatever reason, it made me think of this logo that I've seen when visiting the GTA:

I always found it to be an unusual logo. One of these days I'll have to stay at one of their hotels.
There was one of these on the QEW in Oakville a few minutes away from where I grew up. I honestly had no idea it was a chain until last year when I was driving around more than I had in a decade because of Covid, and I heard an ad for their brand on the radio.

$75/night to stay here with beautiful views of the QEW, the vacant site of a former lightbulb factory, and the railyard. How can you pass that up?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 9:42 PM

I've never stayed at one but I like hotels in areas like that only due to the fact that it's conveniently located beside the highway and is far cheaper than being in the downtown. 95% of my sports trips lodging is like that because it's 15 minutes to the stadium and way cheaper.

I also live 5 minutes away from there and I like driving on the service roads. When I need to go east to Longos or Shoppers or whatever, I often take South Service Rd instead of Cornwall.

I like that they kept the office portion of the GE factory as a heritage building. It's not the most charming but it's something to look at when passing by.

I also like the two new offices adjacent to there and the brand new one on North Service. That's my kind of work location instead of DT TO, even though that usually means the food options suck.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 1:44 AM

Quote:
New branding and wordmark for the Portland Winterhawks

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/07...ears/hockey-2/

Designed by Brian Gundell who also did the Seattle Kraken and San Diego Padres logos.
That's really good... I like the mountain peak they worked into the eagle. A major improvement over the borrowed Chicago Blackhawks identity they've used up to now.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 2:12 AM

TBH, I think that the constant imitation of the same 5 European soccer team names is getting annoying. Not saying that I'd want to see a team called the Kitchener Fighting Trout, but the name "Montreal Impact", for example, was perfectly fine, and was already developing its own history.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
That's my kind of work location instead of DT TO, even though that usually means the food options suck.
I was definitely healthier when I worked out in the country - when it's a 20 minute round trip to buy lunch, I'm a lot better about packing a lunch lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada