HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:16 PM

There will be a lot learned by engineers and others in the construction industry on what not to do with this partial structural failure during the investigative period. Glad to see they are bringing in equipment to stabilize the cranes and the building so quickly. Someone needs to get up on the roof of the Saenger to put tarp over that hole before the next round of rain starts up.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
There will be a lot learned by engineers and others in the construction industry on what not to do with this partial structural failure during the investigative period.
Maybe I’m wrong, but I have a hunch that the lesson learned will be why it’s important to do things the way they are supposed to be done more than anything else.

I’m just thankful that the structure failed when it did and not years from now when it would be full of guests and residents or at a time of day when the streets and sidewalks would have been full of pedestrian and vehicle traffic.

Last edited by Uptowner; Oct 13, 2019 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:39 PM
-

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Maybe I’m wrong, but I have a hunch that if lesson learned will be why it’s important to do things the way they are supposed to be done more than anything else.

I’m just thankful that the structure failed when it did and not years from now when it would be full of guests and residents or at a time of day when the streets and sidewalks would have been full of pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
I can bet you every other major jobsite in city is going to be reviewing all of there stuff monday too

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
totally agree .. if what the people were saying is true it doesnt justify a collapse like this.. i mean holy hell this building was supposed to support a huge pool on the roof where people would be partying and stuff... was it possibly going to fail then ? could you imagine?
Yeah, Chicago had an incident like this years ago with a big party on one our ubiquitous fire escape wodden porches. A large party was going on and tons of people went out on the deck and it came down killing a bunch of people. That's was only a 3 story building, can you imagine if a catastrophic collapse like this occurred in a packed hotel during Mardi Gras next year or something? Would probably be the deadliest collapse in US history aside from 9/11...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah, Chicago had an incident like this years ago with a big party on one our ubiquitous fire escape wodden porches. A large party was going on and tons of people went out on the deck and it came down killing a bunch of people. That's was only a 3 story building, can you imagine if a catastrophic collapse like this occurred in a packed hotel during Mardi Gras next year or something? Would probably be the deadliest collapse in US history aside from 9/11...
Seattle had something like this happen earlier in the year, killing 4 people at a major Google building under construction. The crane collapsed in wind and fell onto the building and the street below. The building was nearly complete though, so there wasn't a complete structural failure, but this sort of thing is sadly not unheard of. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-likely-cause/

It shouldn't have happened for all the reasons already posted, and it will certainly be interesting to see what investigators find, but I doubt we're going to find that it's part of some sort of broad corruption problem unique to New Orleans. Clearly several people made mistakes along the way, and it seems the Hard Rock had an added layer of mistakes in either design or construction that caused one problem to become a complete structural collapse. For whatever reason though it seems cranes are a recurring issue in other cities as well.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:38 AM

So ive been following this page for a while but created an account to share some quick info. I work in the CBD and someone doing work on software at the New MSY informed me that airport officials are pretty determined on a November 14th opening.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:43 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydog1 View Post
So ive been following this page for a while but created an account to share some quick info. I work in the CBD and someone doing work on software at the New MSY informed me that airport officials are pretty determined on a November 14th opening.
That would be great news, if true!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Not to criticize your info, but that sounds off to me. First off, that's a Thursday, which is a busier travel day - they've always tried to time the opening on a Tuesday, which is much less busy. Also opening exactly two weeks before Thanksgiving sounds like a recipe for disaster, should there be any issues. Plus they need to move jet bridges over, and that doesn't give much of a buffer. I'd be surprised if they didn't go for either an earlier November or early December opening date.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The worst collapse of a hotel was the Hyatt Regency in Kansas City. Two walkways collapsed onto each other, and 114 people were killed. This was back in the early 1980's. The loss of life with the Hard Rock collapse is horrible, but we were very fortunate it occurred with a smaller work crew than normal in the building and at a relatively early time of the day on a Saturday. A few hours later, that area would have been teeming with people going to see the matinee performance of Wicked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_...lkway_collapse

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:37 PM
-

Thought this might be a good question to ask because this topic will certainly need and deserve a lot of attention but do you think we should start a hard rock hotel topic only in the high rise construction thread and allow this thread to be focused on everything else? just curious what people think... thanks

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Thought this might be a good question to ask because this topic will certainly need and deserve a lot of attention but do you think we should start a hard rock hotel topic only in the high rise construction thread and allow this thread to be focused on everything else? just curious what people think... thanks
Sure. Why not, assuming that it falls within the forum rules.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:39 PM
-

i guess we can leave it all here for now but if it becomes overwhelming maybe we can revisit it.

Also last night (kind of eery timing) the final portion of times picayune building came down.

Watch: Times-Picayune clock tower finally comes down, but it didn't fall easily

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...a2d0019bf.html

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Not to criticize your info, but that sounds off to me. First off, that's a Thursday, which is a busier travel day - they've always tried to time the opening on a Tuesday, which is much less busy. Also opening exactly two weeks before Thanksgiving sounds like a recipe for disaster, should there be any issues. Plus they need to move jet bridges over, and that doesn't give much of a buffer. I'd be surprised if they didn't go for either an earlier November or early December opening date.
I’ve heard from multiple people at various airlines that the opening date is now November 6, a Wednesday. We shall see.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMSY79 View Post
I’ve heard from multiple people at various airlines that the opening date is now November 6, a Wednesday. We shall see.
Park msy ads are now running on the billboards. Thats new .. really cool services will be offered there that make it very very appealing to prk and ride from the south side

https://www.parkmsyexpress.com/

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 14, 2019 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:17 PM
-

501 Tchoupitoulas St·New Construction · Ref Code:015MXQ
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Mills Markley
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/11/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Construction of restrooms, kitchen and dining area within existing building.

1000 Magazine St·Dumpster/Construction Zone · Permit #19-32631-RCZD · Ref Code:3NDNZY
Download (5) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Dumpster/Construction Zone
Applicant:
New Orleans Iron Works Inc
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
10/14/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Set up crane to lift material to hotel roof.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 7:01 PM

Wait I’m confused a new starting a new thread for the hard rock hotel? and if so where can I find it?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 7:02 PM
-

Quote:
it sounds like for sure and opening in november prior to thanksgiving which i think makes the most sense.. guess its still somewhat of a moving target the exact date which is of course why it hasnt been made official yet

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 7:13 PM
-

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 8:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeau View Post
Wait I’m confused a new starting a new thread for the hard rock hotel? and if so where can I find it?
not at this time .. but maybe will if people think nescessary

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations