HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
That thing is the bane of my existence.
Bingo.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:29 PM

Here are some pictures of the Fairmont crane coming down Saturday. I wonder if that's all the spire it's gonna get.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
Anyone noticed the crane is gone from the Fairmont.........also it appears another "pipe" has been added to the spire.
I was wondering when they were going to add that last part of the spire. Cool. I can't wait to see it all lit up.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:50 AM

that's the complete spire?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy92 View Post
that's the complete spire?
Its incredibly elegant and really makes the Fairmont look so much taller. I really like it!!!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:33 PM

Nate Paul just bought the 3M campus.

http://www.512tech.com/technology/re...keoGVd6W4zh7I/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 10:31 PM
Meh

Design development permit for exterior upgrades to 823 Congress. I can't really tell that it'll look all that different, but on the plus side, this document includes building elevations.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ents_PLANS.pdf\

300 Pressler site plan. I'm not sure why they're reposting it.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...reet_PLANS.pdf

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 5, 2017 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 12:45 AM

re: 823.... too bad they can't get rid of that damn 7-11 and get a better tenant!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
re: 823.... too bad they can't get rid of that damn 7-11 and get a better tenant!
That 7-11 recently filed a permit for a fancy new sign!

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That 7-11 recently filed a permit for a fancy new sign!
UGH..... we keep hoping it's a bad art installation..... remember it replaced the last location of the AMOA.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:25 PM

The site plan for the Line Hotel was approved and released. The elevations and floor plans are attached. This is/was the Radisson at CC and Congress for those not keeping up. This hotel group seems to like the mid-century look, so most of the changes are inside and in the area between the hotel and Lady Bird lake. The hotel will have three restaurants.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyRSN=624752

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Bummer. Hopefully something big is in the works behind closed doors...what a great site for something.
I get the feeling something massive will eventually go up there. The parcel owner is probably waiting for the right deal?
Would be nice for a supertall with a public observation deck!
(assuming it's not in a CVC)

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 7:03 PM

Here are some pictures of downtown from east of I35. The skyline always looks less dense from above. Additional full resolution pictures are here: http://imgur.com/a/DjuZu

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 1:59 AM
Meh

Man, those are great! I think these are the first aerials I've seen that show the UT Admin offices. It looks decent there. And I still say the Aloft is the worst looking new building in downtown, minus the even more icky hotels east of it.

Someone from the forum was commenting on some aerial photos I'd posted to Facebook and he was saying how Austin's core resembles some of the smaller Canadian cities. I thought he was messing with me, but I get what he's saying with this shot. Austin's skyline resembles a bit places like Edmonton which has a good number of tall buildings at the face of its downtown with shorter buildings leading away from it, mostly residential ones, I believe.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 1:57 PM

I heard a rumor yesterday that the Texas Scholl for the Deaf was under contract to be sold. Anyone else hear this?

I know the subject has been batted around.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 9:34 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I heard a rumor yesterday that the Texas Scholl for the Deaf was under contract to be sold. Anyone else hear this?

We discussed this somewhere a few months ago, but I can't seem to find it to give you a link.

Any development there has the potential to expand the core northward from West Campus and intensify development toward The Triangle and the future Grove at Shoal Creek. There's a lot of land up there ripe for VMU development. For instance, the area around Seton / the W. 35th & W. 38thth corridors, the southern sections of Burnet Road & Medical, other parcels adjacent to state owned land just north of the Triangl, as well as state owned parcels that are also potential divestment opportunities for the state as the Capitol Complex matures and intensifies.

I tend to think of this conglomeration of opportunities as a burgeoning "midtown" for Austin. As such, the city really needs a guiding master plan for the area to protect existing single family homes from encroaching development so that we blunt any potential political opposition from Rosedale, Oakmont Heights, Bryker Woods, Hyde Park, Allandale, Brentwood, and North Loop and their associated neighborhood associations. We need to bring these stakeholders into the process early in the development game.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
We discussed this somewhere a few months ago, but I can't seem to find it to give you a link.

Any development there has the potential to expand the core northward from West Campus and intensify development toward The Triangle and the future Grove at Shoal Creek. There's a lot of land up there ripe for VMU development. For instance, the area around Seton / the W. 35th & W. 38thth corridors, the southern sections of Burnet Road & Medical, other parcels adjacent to state owned land just north of the Triangl, as well as state owned parcels that are also potential divestment opportunities for the state as the Capitol Complex matures and intensifies.

I tend to think of this conglomeration of opportunities as a burgeoning "midtown" for Austin. As such, the city really needs a guiding master plan for the area to protect existing single family homes from encroaching development so that we blunt any potential political opposition from Rosedale, Oakmont Heights, Bryker Woods, Hyde Park, Allandale, Brentwood, and North Loop and their associated neighborhood associations. We need to bring these stakeholders into the process early in the development game.
I think you are thinking of the School for the Blind, not the School for the Deaf. The School for the Deaf is in Bouldin in between S 1st and S Congress on incredibly valuable land.

I would be extremely interested to know if this rumor is true because that is a huge property and the redevelopment could be something similar to Plaza Saltillo.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 12:31 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Rather, I was thinking about the old State Mental Health campus, which is adjacent to the School for the Blind.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post

I believe just the northern-most piece is in play, closer to Bouldin Creek.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:59 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

http://www.statesman.com/business/st...ZhqpLgpONXWIL/

Quote:
Preliminary plans for the first phase call for a tower of about 40 stories with approximately 400 apartments, Ip said. A second tower would be timed to market demand, Ip said.

Genesis will be required to get a site plan approved by the city of Austin before starting construction. Ip estimated it could be sometime next year before the project breaks ground. The cost of the project has not been determined, and Genesis will have to obtain construction financing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin