HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:37 PM

I'm glad to not to be living in Calgary!

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:50 PM

Love to see that infor for the other regions.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 5:57 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 6:23 PM

Sooo... my wife and I can go to one or two weddings a week - it's that time of the year after all - with 8 others and one or two funerals a week - it's that time of our lives after all - with 18 others and we could therefor spend a couple of hours with up to 52 other people in total, not all who will have been vaccinated.

We could then go to one or two church services and spend time with another 178 people at each of them (assuming 15% of a 1,200 person fire capacity is being maintained) not all of who will have been vaccinated either. so we could easily spend time with up to 408 people a week but we can't visit our two grandchildren or have them visit us even though we have been vaccinated and so have their parents?

AND we're going to welcome international visitors as soon as the federal government allows it because we know how to restrict all of our cases to the home-grown made in Alberta kind. For 17 months I've said we didn't do enough quickly enough and didn't keep things in place long enough but now that we're on the downside what's being relaxed (based on first doses only with the longest gap between first and second doses than almost anywhere else in the world!) and what's continuing to be restricted makes no more sense than the last 17 months.

But we can cross our fingers and plan to attend the Calgary Stampede. Yahoo!

Last edited by kcantor; May 26, 2021 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 6:25 PM

Restrictions are lifted just in time for the summer festival season.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
Sooo... my wife and I can go to one or two weddings a week - it's that time of the year after all - with 8 others and one or two funerals a week - it's that time of our lives after all - with 18 others and we could therefor spend a couple of hours with up to 52 other people in total, not all who will have been vaccinated.

We could then go to one or two church services and spend time with another 178 people at each of them (assuming 15% of a 1,200 person fire capacity is being maintained) not all of who will have been vaccinated either. so we could easily spend time with up to 408 people a week but we can't visit our two grandchildren or have them visit us even though we have been vaccinated and so have their parents?

AND we're going to welcome international visitors as soon as the federal government allows it because we know how to restrict all of our cases to the home-grown made in Alberta kind. For 17 months I've said we didn't do enough quickly enough and didn't keep things in place long enough but now that we're on the downside what's being relaxed (based on first doses only with the longest gap between first and second doses than almost anywhere else in the world!) and what's continuing to be restricted makes no more sense than the last 17 months.

But we can cross our fingers and plan to attend the Calgary Stampede. Yahoo!
This is great news for the province (Calgary) isn't it?! Lifting restrictions just in time for Stampede so that the province (Calgary) can be reborn, like a phoenix rising from the ashes of Covid and unemployment. With the announcements of investments in downtown Calgary, committees led by government ministers to boost their downtown profile and attract business, and the restart of Stampede we are truly seeing the rebirth of Alberta (Calgary). Jason Kenney - not the hero we deserve but the hero we (Calgary) needs bringing the province (Calgary) into a post Covid world. This truly will be the best summer ever and we have no one but our fearless leader to thank for it......

This is nothing short of a political strategy to boost Kenney's popularity among other initiatives that are being drum up in the Calgary area, so the whole province and country can see how good he and Calgary are at being reborn. Quite revolting to be honest.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 10:48 PM

I for one will gladly live in a restriction-free lifestyle once again in spite of the fact that Premier Kenney is a blubbering and incompetent man-child.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:59 AM

^ Idiotic comments by posters I had some respect for.

Come on Ken and Captain you can do better than that.

You may not like the way things are going but a lot of folks are tired, vaccinated and ready to move on.

Now is the right time.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 3:14 PM

While we rely on vaccines as a first line of defence, it’s important to remember that we’re fighting a moving target whose counter offensive is variants. Vaccines work because they’re good at what they do. Variants emerge because they’re good at what they do. Just because you don’t need to wear a mask and socially distanced doesn’t mean you shouldn’t.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...box=1624798940

Last edited by kcantor; Jun 28, 2021 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 3:35 PM

Everyone has an opinion, you can disagree without resorting to personal attacks.

I have a feeling half the population will continue to mask up indoors, dwindling down the longer we go without an increase in cases. At the very least, I hope we normalize staying at home or at the very least masking up if we feel like we have a cold. Has the provincial mandate on sick days helped those who's employers previously didn't offer sick days?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
^ Idiotic comments by posters I had some respect for.

Come on Ken and Captain you can do better than that.

You may not like the way things are going but a lot of folks are tired, vaccinated and ready to move on.

Now is the right time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Everyone has an opinion, you can disagree without resorting to personal attacks.

I have a feeling half the population will continue to mask up indoors, dwindling down the longer we go without an increase in cases. At the very least, I hope we normalize staying at home or at the very least masking up if we feel like we have a cold. Has the provincial mandate on sick days helped those who's employers previously didn't offer sick days?
Thank you, yes everyone has an opinion and can be disagreed with.

The virus doesn't care if people are tired of wearing masks and in some cases doesn't care if people are vaccinated. So in my strong opinion, staking a target of a largely marketed festival as the goal to enjoy the summer is more political than anything else. If some disagree with that take, that's fine. Don't need to resort to personal attacks because of that.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 12:04 AM
Community Guy

Face covering bylaw reactivated; masks required across city
August 30, 2021

Starting 12:01 a.m., Friday, September 3, wearing a mask or face covering will be mandatory in all indoor public places in Edmonton. This applies to the publicly accessible areas of businesses, retail shops and includes City recreation facilities, transit centres and LRT platforms.

"Medical experts have made it clear that we are in the fourth wave of COVID-19 and I applaud City Council for making this decision to help keep Edmontonians safe," said Mayor Don Iveson. "I urge Edmontonians to be respectful of one another and remember that as of Friday, it will be required to wear masks in all public indoor spaces."

Taking public transit continues to be a safe and convenient way to travel. With ongoing safety measures in place, the City has not received confirmation of any COVID-19 transmission from taking public transit during the pandemic.
This bylaw will be in place until December 31 or until active cases drop below 100 per 100,000 for 10 straight days.

The City has developed a list of supports and information that will assist businesses and the general public. Updated information can be found at edmonton.ca/masks.

Wearing masks or face coverings is a community effort. Not everyone is able, however, to wear a mask and some exemptions do apply. It is important to continue to be kind to those unable to wear a face covering.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/COVID-19

Media contact:
Geoffrey Driscoll
Manager, crisis and issues communications
Communications and Engagement
780-293-2971

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 3:39 PM

just thinking out loud here - okay, musing on line here - about exemptions to health orders and mandates seemingly enacted for the greater good…

i wonder if i could get an exemption from provincial speed limits for next weekend so i could get to a special event i’m thinking about holding and back faster?

what about one for all night/next morning alcohol sales so i can wrap up the event with a boozy breakfast gala before sending everyone on their merry way?

maybe i could ask for a relaxation on maximum blood alcohol content limits so i could combine the first two with fewer potential consequences for my guests?

what about adding a one weekend exemption for selling cigarettes and liquor to minors so my event would be more profitable?

just wondering…

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
just thinking out loud here - okay, musing on line here - about exemptions to health orders and mandates seemingly enacted for the greater good…

i wonder if i could get an exemption from provincial speed limits for next weekend so i could get to a special event i’m thinking about holding and back faster?

what about one for all night/next morning alcohol sales so i can wrap up the event with a boozy breakfast gala before sending everyone on their merry way?

maybe i could ask for a relaxation on maximum blood alcohol content limits so i could combine the first two with fewer potential consequences for my guests?

what about adding a one weekend exemption for selling cigarettes and liquor to minors so my event would be more profitable?

just wondering…
Don't forget to yell 'Do your own research!' at anyone who objects to your demands for freedom.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 3:22 PM

Lets not forget that Jason and his closest ministers used the Redford Sky Palace to do hide and drink hidden away with No Exemption ... being a good Catholic Jason likely did his Hail Mary before they went up to the roof and after they were caught. Ken you dont need to muse ... just do as the UPC does.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 4:31 PM
Community Guy

City facilities to follow restriction exemption program
September 17, 2021

Edmontonians may have greater peace of mind when participating in or accessing City of Edmonton programs and services after the City decided today to adopt the Government of Alberta’s restriction exemption program.

Starting Monday, anyone using a public City facility or service will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a recent negative test result.

“When we looked at all of our options, this allowed us to continue to provide the highest quality of service to the largest number of Edmontonians,” said City Manager Andre Corbould.

“We realize there are details that still need to be worked out, but we’re confident that this program will be another layer in our approach to helping keep Edmontonians safe from COVID-19.”

ETS riders will continue to be required to wear face coverings. Physical distancing of two metres is now required in transit centres and LRT stations.

To access public City services and programs, people ages 12 and older must provide proof of vaccination or documentation of a medical exemption or show proof of a negative test result.
September 20 to October 25: proof of a single dose is considered acceptable as long as the dose was given more than two weeks before the time of entry.
After October 25: proof of double vaccination is required.
Tests must be privately-paid COVID-19 PCR or rapid tests completed within 72 hours before accessing a program or service.
Tests must not be from Alberta Health Services or Alberta Precision Laboratories.

During the initial stages of this program, Edmontonians should plan to arrive at facilities a little earlier than normal. We ask for patience as City employees review patrons’ individual vaccination status or recent negative test results.

More information will be available on edmonton.ca when the provincial public health orders are published and if there are any further clarifications made to these rules by the Government of Alberta in the coming days.

Within Edmonton city limits, masks or face coverings are mandatory in all indoor public places and public vehicles as per the Temporary Mandatory Face Covering bylaw. This applies to businesses, workplaces, retail shops, City of Edmonton facilities, and includes public transit vehicles, enclosed transit centres and LRT platforms.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/COVID19
edmonton.ca/masks

Media contact:
Geoffrey Driscoll
Communications and Engagement
780-293-2971

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 4:34 PM
Derp

Great news

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 5:40 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Too little too late. Apparently all it takes is the near collapse of our healthcare system to do the obvious thanks to the now silent supporters of JK who had so much to say until wave 4 hit. So much for fiscal conservatism when clothing could have prevented hundreds of millions in emergency room visits. Alas....

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 7:14 PM

Democide

the killing of members of a country's civilian population as a result of its government's policy, including by direct action, indifference and neglect

Bolding and underlining mine.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...glish/democide

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 5:10 AM

Over 2000 new cases, that they know of, today. Ontario has committed to helping Alberta. Apparently trucks have already headed this way with equipment. Not used to seeing Ontario help us, or even recognize us as part of Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton