HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:00 PM
Community Guy

The new 'City Plan' - 1mil to 2mil and beyond

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 8:46 PM
BANNED

gave the maps a look... based on the crap I saw I won't be bothering with the report. it was like looking at the visual equivalent of nu-speak

short version, the bulk of the population growth will go in the extreme SE and NE corners.

hope that revelation didn't cost much

based on the city's recent track record, I highly doubt the concept of adding high-bandwidth free-flow infrastructure to the center city and other older areas to encourage higher-density infill is understood, much less planed for

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 9:21 PM
Change is good

Bulk of the population growth to go where the bulk of the jobs in the regions are... interesting.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Bulk of the population growth to go where the bulk of the jobs in the regions are... interesting.
that too, but you can argue employers follow the same 'path of least resistance' that people do. it's no surprise most new development of any nature will be in the vicinity of henday.

I also think Edmonton is well past the point of developing strong employment nodes that make mass transit lines easy to plan and develop. we're doomed to dispersed commuting patterns here

that's why I've argued in past that in Edmonton LRT money would be far better spent completing sections of our existing road network to freeways that can be used more efficiently by cars, commercial traffic and transit vehicles alike!

and if that in turn makes some of the underdeveloped pockets within the city more appealing for business and residential development, so much the better

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 9:56 PM
Change is good

Industry isn't going to infill or put up towers. They need space.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Industry isn't going to infill or put up towers. They need space.

quality insight, thanks for sharing

> industry
> public transit

pick one

infill isn't about industry and you know it. quarantine got you owly already?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 3:00 AM

Looked at it. Not too many surprises. This article from the Journal sums it up pretty well - it's ambitious. It also requires regional agreement if there is to be any hope of achieving the targets it sets out (that is to say none).

The whole 'growing within current boundaries' is cheating a bit given the recent annexation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
gave the maps a look... based on the crap I saw I won't be bothering with the report. it was like looking at the visual equivalent of nu-speak

short version, the bulk of the population growth will go in the extreme SE and NE corners.

hope that revelation didn't cost much

based on the city's recent track record, I highly doubt the concept of adding high-bandwidth free-flow infrastructure to the center city and other older areas to encourage higher-density infill is understood, much less planed for

Oooo boy.... Yeah you definitely didn't read the report, and you didn't look at the maps carefully enough either. I suspect you won't like what is really being shown.

Last edited by foolworm; Mar 13, 2020 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 3:19 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
that too, but you can argue employers follow the same 'path of least resistance' that people do. it's no surprise most new development of any nature will be in the vicinity of henday.

I also think Edmonton is well past the point of developing strong employment nodes that make mass transit lines easy to plan and develop. we're doomed to dispersed commuting patterns here

that's why I've argued in past that in Edmonton LRT money would be far better spent completing sections of our existing road network to freeways that can be used more efficiently by cars, commercial traffic and transit vehicles alike!

and if that in turn makes some of the underdeveloped pockets within the city more appealing for business and residential development, so much the better
Soooo you mean like most major cities across North America. Toronto has major employment nodes outside of the downtown - Mississauga, Markham/Richmond Hill, etc. Same with the Greater Vancouver Area - Surrey will continue to develop a significant amount of employment and will soon surpass Vancouver as the most populous city in the region.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 2:41 PM

Would it be prudent to also model what to do if the city's population measurably shrinks, particularly if it were to do the oil and gas equivalent of becoming a rust belt?

Not a crapping on the city, but the economic lifeblood of the province has likely been near-permanently crippled. At least that's what the environmentalists would like to happen, and it doesn't take a lot of Greta worship to see that trend continue.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 2:51 PM

It would be the Ralph era mid 90s again, the last time Edmonton shrunk. At least downtown Edmonton got some nice new or rejuvenated buildings the last few years. A lot of central Edmonton is still in disrepair though.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
It would be the Ralph era mid 90s again, the last time Edmonton shrunk. At least downtown Edmonton got some nice new or rejuvenated buildings the last few years. A lot of central Edmonton is still in disrepair though.
I'm thinking more scorched earth: "carbon initiatives" shutter Alberta's lifeblood. The 90s would pale in comparison.

Again, I'm just curious if the potential for that is even part of the conversation. At the moment, in broad strokes it would appear that continued growth is anticipated.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Would it be prudent to also model what to do if the city's population measurably shrinks, particularly if it were to do the oil and gas equivalent of becoming a rust belt?

Not a crapping on the city, but the economic lifeblood of the province has likely been near-permanently crippled. At least that's what the environmentalists would like to happen, and it doesn't take a lot of Greta worship to see that trend continue.
I was not aware that Russia and Saudi were aligned with the environmentalists...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
I was not aware that Russia and Saudi were aligned with the environmentalists...
Wasn't quite going down that route, but hey it's Friday so

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:

Good gawd....how many times in the last 30 years does a person have to hear this out of touch fear mongering...seriously. Its almost a go to cliche now.

I remember when a New york Financial analyst in 2000 said...Edmonton will never really prosper or get above 1 million people. A bloody Magic 8 ball has more insite.

Friday...Cheers big ears

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 3:22 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:

Every time there is a 'correction' in the price of oil I hear this "Oil is done" "It'll never come back", etc. Oil will be around for a long, long time. The transition from FF will take many decades yet.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 11:38 AM
Clearshades

While oil is still required, Canadian oil may not be that sustainable due to cost. China has secured oil with Russia and Iran, so who will we sell it to? Our country is at odds with each other of all pipelines proposed, so what reason is there for rejoice? Who is lining up for our oil?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 5:13 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearshades View Post
While oil is still required, Canadian oil may not be that sustainable due to cost. China has secured oil with Russia and Iran, so who will we sell it to? Our country is at odds with each other of all pipelines proposed, so what reason is there for rejoice? Who is lining up for our oil?
The problem is that we are currently shipping most of our oil to the US. This is why we have the price differential between WCS and WTI. This is why we need increased pipeline capacity to our coasts to allow us to sell to other markets (primarily China, India).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
This is why we need increased pipeline capacity to our coasts to allow us to sell to other markets (primarily China, India).
I agree, but the rest of Canada is doing its best to make sure Alberta's oil never sees the light of day to begin with.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 6:14 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
I agree, but the rest of Canada is doing its best to make sure Alberta's oil never sees the light of day to begin with.
Sure. But the reality is that oil will continue to flow in existing pipelines or through other means such as rail.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 4:12 PM
Community Guy

Going forward to public hearing/Council on the 14th of Sept.

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...city-plan.aspx

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton