HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
i don't see them allowing her to do it but if she has connections at the city, i bet she can put some pressure on them.
She’s looking to abandon the S alamo site. That doesn’t fit unless the site is razed. Also it would need to be multi level to match space. I don’t see a way to keep the historic as a useful part of a new building. In this case there is so much around it it’s already lost, in my opinion. I like Rosario’s. I liked El Mirador. One exists and the other won’t be back. We’ll see what happens.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 9:58 PM

Well now we know what Rosario's is planning on doing.

https://saheron.com/rosarios-new-loc...5WEYiedv1Bg9Xo

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 10:59 PM

Welp, I stand corrected. Looks like this will be greenlit with the whole 35% thing. I do like the design and am a big fan of the rooftop terrace.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
Well now we know what Rosario's is planning on doing.

https://saheron.com/rosarios-new-loc...5WEYiedv1Bg9Xo
According to SA Biz Journal, HDRC approved this one. I do like the design the more I look at it

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 3:05 PM

haha, so true. It's definitely been a ghost town for months now.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 6:53 PM

Well I feel that its picking up again now

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 12:52 AM
Paradise

To be fair, SA has always been slow in regards to development news compared to the other Texas cities. Maybe that is changing due to the recent quality of proposals we’ve seen.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
To be fair, SA has always been slow in regards to development news compared to the other Texas cities. Maybe that is changing due to the recent quality of proposals we’ve seen.
That's not a bad thing at all. TRUST me. I do wonder how older 80's corporate live/work communities might grow or change within the next decade. There seem to be so many in SA that have a lot of potential for some TLC and growth.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 5:48 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
You didn't know that is what developers do during the holidays?? LOL

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 2:41 AM

Yeah, c'mon....I need some tea, gossip, rumors...anything

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 11:49 PM

SAHA’s plan for Victoria Commons in Lavaca moves forward, but with less density

https://saheron.com/sahas-new-plan-f...toria-commons/

Only two years after its founding in 1937, the San Antonio Housing Authority (SAHA) used New Deal dollars to build Victoria Courts, a public housing project that would come to span 36 acres in the Lavaca neighborhood south of downtown. Over the decades, a concentration of poverty within the project’s borders gave rise to crime and a lack of social mobility amongst

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 6:32 PM
James

I don't understand how they are saying 5 stories is too tall but the 8 story building is down the street...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 10:31 PM
Registered User?

Hey, I'm actually currently working on a project on this site for a design class. My professor lives in the neighborhood and is trying to save the historic administration building right next to the park. I think he's also opposed to a high influx of people because it will be detrimental to the character of the Lavaca district.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:22 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK18 View Post
Hey, I'm actually currently working on a project on this site for a design class. My professor lives in the neighborhood and is trying to save the historic administration building right next to the park. I think he's also opposed to a high influx of people because it will be detrimental to the character of the Lavaca district.
Your professor is a huge NIMBY lol.

I get Lavaca is special, and we definitely should not be tearing down any of the many significant and beautiful Lavaca homes. But that neighborhood is right downtown, and there is a huge demand for housing in the area. Sorry, if you live downtown, there's going to be large numbers of people around your neighborhood. My sympathy for this point of view is extremely limited. If there is a giant vacant lot on the edge of the neighborhood, as there is in this case, building as much housing as you can on it is for the greater good and an absolute no brainer.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:32 AM
James

I also live in Lavaca and don't oppose the new development. From an urban planning standpoint, the density makes sense and we need to build more mixed-use structures towards Cesar. it's more sustainable for the environment to build up in such a centrally located neighborhood. I get wanting to save the administrative building, but the building serves no real purpose. Build a community center on the ground floor and then build up. We need amenities in this area and we don't have anything. We need a pharmacy, a small grocery store, more food options that aren't the expensive restaurants on Alamo. They could easily enforce a developer to build with the facade of the admin building intact. But we need to not pretend it's historical.

Side note, what kind of design are you working on?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Your professor is a huge NIMBY lol.

I get Lavaca is special, and we definitely should not be tearing down any of the many significant and beautiful Lavaca homes. But that neighborhood is right downtown, and there is a huge demand for housing in the area. Sorry, if you live downtown, there's going to be large numbers of people around your neighborhood. My sympathy for this point of view is extremely limited. If there is a giant vacant lot on the edge of the neighborhood, as there is in this case, building as much housing as you can on it is for the greater good and an absolute no brainer.
Amen! I get so frustrated when I read these stories about people living in urban neighborhoods (and suburban too for that matter) opposed to dense development. Then they complain about a lack of housing for others and about climate change which ironically is caused in no small part by non-dense development in the U.S.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 5:00 PM

I think some of the opposition comes from one building being 100% low income housing. My limited reading on the topic has been that concentrating people of lower incomes has not historically worked out well. Apparently the current financing plan this particular building as a part of the overall project requires it to be 100% affordable.

1000% agree with mixed use buildings. I guess developers can't take on everything but it seems like someone should figure out how to get large amenities in these buildings (e.g. childcare, community center, grocer, etc). Don't get me wrong I like having bars and restaurants but I know I also really like that my dentist is within walking distance at the bottom of the Rivera. I guess the cost to build vs what they can get in rent for the large spaces limits this some. I'm going to be really interested to see what goes into the ~17,000 sq ft of spaces in the Flats at River North. http://properties.jeremyjessop.com/1011broadway

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 6:03 PM

Developers wanting city tax breaks may be required to take housing vouchers

https://saheron.com/developers-tax-b...sing-vouchers/

The City of San Antonio is considering an ordinance that would prohibit city-backed housing developments from denying a tenant based on their source of income.

Specifically, the ordinance is aimed at tenants paying rent with housing vouchers, or federally subsidized funds for renters administered by housing authorities. The San Antonio Housing Authority (SAHA) administers these funds locally.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio