HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
This is why we need a 1 meter law. And another reason to ride with cameras on the bike.

https://upride.cc/incident/wait-for-...fnRSudkO9H3LBw
Just a little nitpicking here but if you don't want people to pass you in the same lane on the road, then bikers need to ride in the middle of the lane. Why stick to the right to give idiot drivers the opportunity to make a dangerous pass?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
Just a little nitpicking here but if you don't want people to pass you in the same lane on the road, then bikers need to ride in the middle of the lane. Why stick to the right to give idiot drivers the opportunity to make a dangerous pass?
While you are correct that it is a good biking strategy, very few cyclists are brave or strong enough to bike in the middle of the lane. We need to build bike infrastructure for the weakest users to keep it accessible to everyone.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
While you are correct that it is a good biking strategy, very few cyclists are brave or strong enough to bike in the middle of the lane. We need to build bike infrastructure for the weakest users to keep it accessible to everyone.
I think you're both right. Experienced or bold riders should force cars out of their lanes AND cities need the infrastructure to make everyone comfortable.

There's a lot of, let's call it potential, for Edmonton.

I've been glued to a Youtube channel during the pandemic on this very question. It's called Not Just Bikes. It's done by a Canadian from London, Ontario who moved to Amsterdam and it has opened my eyes to things Canadian cities could be doing to make cycling more inviting for everyone.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 4:56 AM

Not Just Bikes is a great source.

One major gap in Edmonton's bike lane network could be filled by the City's service road network. The service roads parallel many of the city's main arterials, forming a "shadow grid" of our main routes. The City could convert at least 1 lane of most service roads to a 2-directional bike lane with no car traffic impacts to give cyclists their own safe, complete, protected, city-wide bike lane network. So easy!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:35 PM

Edmonton's bike lane network is pretty good compared to some places I have ridden. Yes using the service roads is a good idea. I use them when ever I can. St Albert has no bike lanes , but their MUP is quite extensive If you know where they all are.

97% of all drivers are great and give you room its that 3% that are a problem. Most people I know have indicated that it seems to be getting worse.

The section I posted is usually ok if you ride hard. ( I can normally keep up with traffic since it is a slight downhill). There are quite a few bikes along that section on either the road or sidewalk. The sidewalk tends to be busy so I stay off it most days.

I had ridden with the Police bike units in Edmonton and Calgary. Hell they get brushed as well.

I think one reason gravel riding is starting to see increased numbers is the lack of confrontation. In the almost 3000kms of gravel riding I have done the last few years We have had 1 incident. Most people slow down and wave.

we use multi use paths as much as possible as well. but with the amount of people on them now days it makes it tough to ride.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 5:48 PM

Does anyone else notice that almost every bike path in downtown has construction re-routing or blocking it (construction related trucks parked in the lane outside Centre High, weird redirections to share with car traffic for a block on 102 ave, Fringe blocking 83 ave, 103 st wonky restrictions, garbage bin on path outside art gallery, funicular broken again, 109 st Railtown route construction at Jasper doesn't indicate you can bike thru and access High Level with ongoing construction on Jasper)...

...does this happen every summer? I almost gave up and went home to get my car because it was easier to navigate

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 6:00 PM
Community Guy

It's absurd... it really is.

I know that DECL (and others) have been raising this with the powers that be.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Does anyone else notice that almost every bike path in downtown has construction re-routing or blocking it (construction related trucks parked in the lane outside Centre High, weird redirections to share with car traffic for a block on 102 ave, Fringe blocking 83 ave, 103 st wonky restrictions, garbage bin on path outside art gallery, funicular broken again, 109 st Railtown route construction at Jasper doesn't indicate you can bike thru and access High Level with ongoing construction on Jasper)...

...does this happen every summer? I almost gave up and went home to get my car because it was easier to navigate
MUP from Kingsway south for a few blocks has fencing up today.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 5:50 PM

It's a Two Wheeled World pop-up bike shop has imported a bunch of Dutch commuter bikes refurbished for sale. Located next to Wonder Harbour Comics at 105 St/105 Ave

https://www.instagram.com/itsatwowheeledworld/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 11:25 PM

Safe Passing Bylaw passed unanimously in council today.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...box=1630523665

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Safe Passing Bylaw passed unanimously in council today.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...box=1630523665
This strikes me as a poor substitute for actual bike facilities, and I can't believe the Alberta Cycling Coalition person supported it. I suppose it's better than nothing, but will this bylaw make even one person more comfortable cycling in Edmonton? Not on your life.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie View Post
This strikes me as a poor substitute for actual bike facilities, and I can't believe the Alberta Cycling Coalition person supported it. I suppose it's better than nothing, but will this bylaw make even one person more comfortable cycling in Edmonton? Not on your life.
This was actually putting a number on a current law. The original said, Must pass at a safe distance.

Aaron is also a big advocate for proper infrastructure. this was one addition to that. When You do not have a bike lane in an area what are the laws.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 5:14 AM

I noticed the City has been reconstructing arterial service roads as of late and wouldn't mind sharrows every 5 to 10 metres to remind everyone those service roads are often also bike routes.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 4:01 PM
Community Guy

We seem to roll things out better than anyone.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8410967/e...-lane-garneau/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
We seem to roll things out better than anyone.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8410967/e...-lane-garneau/
The ol garbage bag over the sign trick.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 8:14 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 8:23 PM

Classic:

"The city also states that there are 300 free parking stalls within a five-minute walk of the new bike lane, and every apartment building but one has parkades for residents and visitors."

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 8:51 PM
Community Guy

The 99st connection from Jasper is FINALLY being completed.

https://twitter.com/ECryptyd/status/1580675156678410241

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 1:40 AM
Community Guy

Bout time. What an idiotic waste of money and resources when commonsense could have prevailed.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton...nade-1.6201585

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 2:17 AM

Common Sense.

In Edmonton?

what a concept.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton