HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:27 PM
Community Guy

Here's hoping Chinatown V3 can make it.

'Approximately 30 businesses in Chinatown were forced to permanently shut their doors due to the pandemic, reports Global News. Meanwhile, some Edmonton business owners are wondering when they’ll receive the financial assistance announced by the province months ago.'
Taproot

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 3:39 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 4:45 PM
Community Guy

15mins City? Net Zero? Sure, why not.

https://www.greenenergyfutures.ca/ep...-net-zero-city

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:14 PM

With the Failure of Kdays to go this year the Calgary Stampede is becoming more like the Alberta Stampede. I know its only a fair but it brings a name to a province where there appears to be only one major city.

Couple that with the blockade of international flights at EIA till at least July 21 and Edmonton's status as a relevant city in this province - never mind the country - is more in need of a reboot then ever.

Edmonton City Council and business leaders in Edmonton as well as the provincial government - time for a plan of action to get our name and brand out there. Earn your pay - support this city.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:52 PM
Community Guy

Fading into obscurity or resetting and repositioning?

Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years
I'm rockin' my peers, puttin' suckers in fear
Makin' the tears rain down like a monsoon
Listen to the bass go boom
Explosions, overpowerin'
Over the competition, I'm towerin'

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 3:32 PM

^

good question...

"What works on paper
Has the tendency to ride on vapor
Sometimes what's not to love
But then other times what's to like
I'm unable to tell if I know who I am
A modest success a shill or a sham
I'm not afraid of what I've made
But my trajectory
Has me fading into obscurity."

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 12:06 AM

Mercifully the pandemic has put us out of our misery and we no feel obliged to give K days and northlands life support. Time to move on and conjure up another festival or activity that will bring visitors to the city much like the Fringe.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
Mercifully the pandemic has put us out of our misery and we no feel obliged to give K days and northlands life support. Time to move on and conjure up another festival or activity that will bring visitors to the city much like the Fringe.
like an indy or an f1 race?

maybe an international air show and trade fair/convention?

naaah… those would be too easy and make too much sense.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:21 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nton-1.6081152

What kind of country doesn't provide safe streets and public spaces for women? What kind of country allows children to be buried in unmarked graves over the course of 100 years or more and then expresses shock and dismay when what we should have known becomes public? What kind of country allows foreign students to be stabbed on our transit systems? What kind of country allows families to be run down in broad daylight? What kind of country can't provide clean drinking water and education and health care to large numbers of its citizens. What kind of country allows swastikas to be graffities on to mosques and synagogues? What kind of country allows the flying of Confederate and Nazi flags?

I like to think I am an educated and informed and caring person but I feel more and more adrift not so much because I am changing but because of an ever-increasing awareness of the on-going failure of those we elect and charge to protect us - to protect all of us - and to care more about their responsibilities than their being reelected. I used to think we were long past the attitudes that led to Chinese head taxes, that refused entry to Jewish immigrants on the MS St. Louis and sent them back to die in concentration camps, that established internment camps for Japanese Canadians... I don't consider myself to be willfully blind or ignorant but it appears that I was and that it may still be the case. And that makes me angry as well as sad and disappointed. We all deserve better and I don't know how to deliver that.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 8:36 PM

Some good news in a week of bad news.

"Terry Jones: Edmonton stepping up for London in Rugby Sevens Tour: Sept. 25-26 special one-off official tour tournament in Edmonton.
Edmonton’s Commonwealth Stadium is about to be named as effectively the substitute for London’s wiped-out stop on the Rugby Seven Tour that normally involves Cape Town, Sydney, Hamilton, N.Z., Los Angeles, Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore, London, Paris and Vancouver"

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/o...2-73956c9dc195

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 8:43 PM
Community Guy

H
O
L
Y
S

That's amazing!

A bucket list is to see Sevens in HK.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 5:30 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton’s Urban Reserve Strategy supports economic opportunities for First Nations
June 28, 2021

The City of Edmonton, with support from the Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations and Enoch Cree Nation, has created an Urban Reserve Strategy. The strategy provides a framework for eligible First Nations to develop an urban reserve within city boundaries.

An urban reserve is land designated as a First Nation reserve, situated within an urban area. Eligible First Nations interested in developing urban reserves do so through the federal Addition-to-Reserve/Reserve Creation policy.

The Government of Canada and Government of Alberta served as advisors in the process.

“The Government of Canada was pleased to participate in the development of the Urban Reserve Strategy which was developed in partnership with the Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations, Enoch Cree Nation, and the City of Edmonton,” said Honourable Marc Miller, P.C., M.P., Minister of Indigenous Services. “This strategy is a historic first step to fulfilling our mandate of furthering First Nation self-determination and reconciliation. I reaffirm Canada’s commitment to promote and support urban reserve creation and I look forward to working with the First Nations in Alberta and the City of Edmonton on urban reserve creation opportunities. On behalf of the Government of Canada, I offer my congratulations to the City of Edmonton, for adopting the Urban Reserve Strategy.”

Many First Nations are located in rural areas, away from urban centres, resulting in challenges like economic development and self-sufficiency. First Nations can pursue urban reserve creation for improved access to resources for economic development opportunities, greater connectivity and ability to provide services to their urban members, and improved access to, or protection for, culturally-significant sites. Urban reserve creation is a practical way to address the issue of geographic remoteness that many First Nations face.

“Although Additions-to-Reserves are mainly dealt with via the federal government’s Addition-to-Reserve policy, the City of Edmonton has had the foresight to develop, with First Nation input, the Urban Reserve Strategy. The strategy is intended to ensure that all parties are working together collectively, which will assist in closing the physical distance between more remote communities and their nearest urban center,” said Grand Chief Okimaw Vernon Watchmaker, Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations. “Urban Reserves also provide increased economic growth, job creation, and goods and services to both the First Nation and the city or town in which they have a reserve. The Urban Reserve policy provides a good basis for successful communication and consultations between the city and a First Nation. I thank the Mayor and Council for all their work and efforts to ensure that reconciliation is actioned and that the relationships between the Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations is on the path for a healthy long-term relationship.”

First Nations, municipalities, and the broader community can all benefit from stronger relationships between First Nations, non-First Nation governments, and the population at large. Some benefits include increased economic activities, investment and employment opportunities, and the revitalization of neighbourhoods through new and long-term development. Urban reserves are also a tangible action step toward reconciliation.

“Land acknowledgements have been an appreciated practice, but with Edmonton's new Urban Reserve Strategy these acknowledgements will take on an even greater meaning,” said Chief Billy Morin, Enoch Cree Nation. “I thank the City of Edmonton for their leadership in reconcili-action and doing their part to help First Nations feel more at home in this great city.”

The Urban Reserve Strategy is intended to guide City Administration in the areas of urban reserve development for which the municipality is responsible. It places an emphasis on the importance of relationships, both at the political and technical level, and promotes communication and engagement early and proactively between the City and First Nation, as well as between the City, First Nation, the general public, and others who should be informed of urban reserve development.

“The City of Edmonton is looking forward to working with First Nations, Federal and Provincial partners to better understand the role a municipality can play in urban reserve creation,” said Rob Smyth, Deputy City Manager, Citizen Services. “This is an excellent opportunity for the City to learn, support and provide opportunities for First Nations, and continue our journey of reconciliation.”

Urban reserves have been developed successfully in towns and cities across western Canada for more than 30 years. There are more than 120 urban reserves across Canada. The first urban reserve was established in 1988 by Muskeg Lake Cree Nation in Saskatoon.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/urbanreserves

Media contact:
Carol Hurst
Senior Communications Advisor
City of Edmonton
587-987-7166

Lisa Mills
Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations
780-944-0334

Tanya Cardinal
Enoch Communications
587-989-077

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 6:56 PM

^ I welcome the experts on this thread to enlighten me if this is a positive or negative development for the city.

I do know of the urban reserves in North Vancouver if that is the same as this.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 7:33 PM

Metro Vancouver is home to 10 First Nations on 23 parcels of land. There is a huge development planned on Squamish First Nation land at Burrard St Bridge. Makes me hope there is consideration for reserves in the core of the city.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Metro Vancouver is home to 10 First Nations on 23 parcels of land. There is a huge development planned on Squamish First Nation land at Burrard St Bridge. Makes me hope there is consideration for reserves in the core of the city.
I am unaware of a single First Nation with land inside the City of Edmonton municipal boundary. There is precious little public land other than the river valley. I don't think your aspirtations will be possible in the core. Maybe Blatchford and the counties surrounding Edmonton if public lands are available.

Last edited by EdmTrekker; Jun 28, 2021 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:41 PM

'Tangible movement': Enoch Cree Nation one step closer to acquiring land within Edmonton
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/tangible...nton-1.5488878

Enoch First Nation hopes to purchase land next to Anthony Henday Drive near Whitemud Drive where a gravesite that Enoch's first chief and other ancestors are buried.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
'Tangible movement': Enoch Cree Nation one step closer to acquiring land within Edmonton
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/tangible...nton-1.5488878

Enoch First Nation hopes to purchase land next to Anthony Henday Drive near Whitemud Drive where a gravesite that Enoch's first chief and other ancestors are buried.
Almost all land in central Edmonton is in private hands - excepting river valley lands. The bit in the article about: "Enoch First Nation hopes to purchase land next to Anthony Henday Drive near Whitemud Drive where a gravesite sits. Enoch's first chief and other ancestors are said to be buried there." I don't see much commercial opportunity there - but then the reserve land can be what ever use it's owners want. If the City really wanted to do something central it could turn over Epcor Site in Rossdale and let the regional First Nations develop it as a museum, cultural centre, market etc. At least something that creates jobs and integrates into the regional community.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Almost all land in central Edmonton is in private hands - excepting river valley lands. The bit in the article about: "Enoch First Nation hopes to purchase land next to Anthony Henday Drive near Whitemud Drive where a gravesite sits. Enoch's first chief and other ancestors are said to be buried there." I don't see much commercial opportunity there - but then the reserve land can be what ever use it's owners want. If the City really wanted to do something central it could turn over Epcor Site in Rossdale and let the regional First Nations develop it as a museum, cultural centre, market etc. At least something that creates jobs and integrates into the regional community.
I've been thinking along these lines for some time now. The Rossdale site is large and prominent, and a historic crossroads. Indigenous people have been in the Beaver Hills area for, what, 20,000 years or more? There's the new Indigenous building at Fort Edmonton and maybe it's time to make a larger, world-class centre to celebrate that history. The Epcor site would be the perfect place for that (parking issues aside).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 11:37 PM

I agree. That area is prime for a historic development mixed with a farmers market and restaurants all with an indigenous theme. The cable car can connect old strathcona with Epcor and downtown.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 2:58 AM

If the natives purchase land for reserves in Edmonton, are they going to be exempt from area development plans, bylaws, public hearings etc?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton