HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:50 PM
Community Guy

Get'r done!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 3:15 PM

no kidding - lets get these projects moving.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 3:20 PM

I quite like the simplicity and low visual impact of the design as you approach driving up McDougall hill. I was worried that brutalist concrete would be used and block views of the historic MacDonald Hotel. This concept appears to be respectful.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Courtesy of mcr at Skyrisecities. BTW The gondola stop is proposed a bit further west of the bridge along Macdonald Drive.

http://www.cea.ca/files/PWIS2021/COE... Symposium.pdf

it's a nice looking render... but a bit deceitful! I think we all know that an open air bridge isn't allowed in current year...

I'm sure the cage will be quite tasteful tho

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 4:40 PM
Community Guy

No real thread for this, but paid parking in parks is coming. Supply and demand or cash grab?

https://www.newstbt.com/post/edmonto...lic-park-areas

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
No real thread for this, but paid parking in parks is coming. Supply and demand or cash grab?

https://www.newstbt.com/post/edmonto...lic-park-areas
it's not even a cash grab... for it to be a cash grab, the city would have to net more money than the costs of collecting it.

this is politicking by administration as well as council.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
it's not even a cash grab... for it to be a cash grab, the city would have to net more money than the costs of collecting it.

this is politicking by administration as well as council.
came here to post this

at best it's a job creation program, or expansionist unions up to their usual tricks.

also, considering the obesity of many drivers I see out and about, the last thing the city should be doing is disincentivizing park use, while offering up free parking on snack alley central

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
came here to post this

at best it's a job creation program, or expansionist unions up to their usual tricks.

also, considering the obesity of many drivers I see out and about, the last thing the city should be doing is disincentivizing park use, while offering up free parking on snack alley central
it's also a bit strange to see the introduction of paid parking at parks at the same time administration is proposing the [re]introduction of free parking downtown...

i'm still struggling a bit over that set of priorities.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:47 PM
Community Guy

Taproot By Michelle Ferguson

Coun. Bev Esslinger put forward a motion to cancel the planned parking fees at five city sites after hearing concerns from several Edmontonians over the proposed Reimagine Services plan. Council is scheduled to vote on the motion July 5.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:47 PM

City Council approved this yesterday

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:26 PM
Community Guy

Another important step forward.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 2:31 AM

Rossdale Power Plant rezoning passes city council, paves the path for future development
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/rossdale...ment-1.5484815

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 7:45 PM

Touch The Water - Preferred Design Concept
https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/defaul...ept_Design.pdf

I like it for the most part. They really need to leave the High Level Bridge Hill alone, especially the stairway to Ezio Faraone Park. I'd like see some semblance of patios, bistros, coffee shops...hell, even a hot dog cart. More washrooms would be ideal, especially for those who suffer from IBD. Access to the beach at The Bend would be nice too. I hope this includes a MUP on the west side of Groat Bridge.

Last edited by Hallsy's Toupee; Jul 16, 2021 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 11:45 PM

Pretty disappointing tbh. As the name suggests, I was expecting much more 'touch the water' not what looks like a giant elevated walk way that more or less replicates the same experience as now.
Of course the path is improved, but I was imagining more of a 'sea wall' and step downs like Calgary's river walk. Not this high up elevated path with kilometers of guardrail.

the one 'touch the water area' looks pretty disappointing too, the small area at Rossdale with the large tilted slats. The precedent images on page 101 look much better than what is proposed.

Had much higher hopes for the entire stretch along river valley road. Was hoping for a river/lakefront/ocean front walk like you see all over Canada except here. The whole exercise is sold as making the water more accessible, and it does nothing to help. I just want a spot to sit next to the river and read a book without sliding down a mud bank first.

Sorry for the rant, but I thought something like this was going to be done, and if not the whole way, for at least parts of it actually being at the water:

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 12:10 AM

^
ever since i saw the initial designs and throughout their refinement i've thought they should more aptly rename this "still can't touch the water".

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 12:22 AM
Community Guy

Won't somebody think of the vegetation!

I like a bunch of the elements, but our best resource is still held hostage by shrubs and blocked viewpoints.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Won't somebody think of the vegetation!

I like a bunch of the elements, but our best resource is still held hostage by shrubs and blocked viewpoints.
I don't mind the shrubs as they keep the bank from eroding. It's that horrible River Valley Road that needs to go and be replaced with a high capacity mobility route like a "bike freeway".

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 12:46 PM

River Valley Road is perfect, actually. Turning it into a bike freeway is one of the stupidest ideas I've seen in a while.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 3:24 PM

I have to agree with Hallsy. what is there now for traffic and MUP are adequate and closing the valley road would redirect traffic onto already pretty heavily used corridors.

Looking at the plans, I would love to have seen something right down to the water. (but that is relative to where the actual water level is). This year we have not seen any rise in water levels. The current level is what we see in late Aug and Sept. Last year we saw an unusual average high water level. Building anything that would not be under water at some time will be hard. Having more view locations is a must. what was done under the Walterdale bridge was a good move toward something more usable. Maybe doing a layered system, knowing that at least one level will be under water at some time.

A good test bed is the Rowing club location. they rebuilt there river access a few years back. looking at how it has weathered the moods of the river will show how ANTHING we build down stream will work.

As for river valley road what we have now is so much better than when we had parking along the river side. And there was an access along there that you could take your car down to the river and wash it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I like it for the most part. They really need to leave the High Level Bridge Hill alone, especially the stairway to Ezio Faraone Park. I'd like see some semblance of patios, bistros, coffee shops...hell, even a hot dog cart. More washrooms would be ideal, especially for those who suffer from IBD. Access to the beach at The Bend would be nice too. I hope this includes a MUP on the west side of Groat Bridge.
The stairs seem like they're going to remain although I wouldn't mind if they made it concrete and wider because of how well used that stairwell is. The "additional" pathways mostly exist, they're just going to grade and pave it for wheelchair and bicycle accessibility.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton