HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 9:07 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Pierpont, Idaho - A Google Sketchup City

Cello! Viola! How do you do?

So, as I stated in my last airport thread, this is my new Sketchup city currently in development. I was going to show you it piece by piece when I was finished, but I became too impatient and decided to show you now!

City Population: 442,000
MSA Population: 840,000
Tallest Building: The Pierpont Tower - 38 floors, approximately 480 ft. - Completed on July 3rd, 1991

My goal with Pierpont is to build what would be, in my opinion, a truly perfect city, one that over any city in the world, I'd want to live in...but also within the realm of realism as well. If Boise had made the right moves early on in the 1980's and 1990's during our massive growth boom, I think it would look very much like Pierpont will. The geography will be similar to the Treasure Valley, the valley Boise sits in, except the Boise River (renamed the Pierpont River) will move southward by a few miles.

Some of the things that makes Pierpont one of the most livable cities in the U.S.:

-Beautiful foothills nearby
-Quick access to ski-resorts and outdoor activities
-Four distinct seasons throughout the year...in the winter it often gets into the single digit temperatures, whereas in the summer, the thermometer often goes above 100 degrees.
-Very dry air, rarely humid (makes a tremendous difference in the summer
-Extensive mass-transit system
-Very active urban nightlife (for a city its size)
-The University of Pierpont is just a mile south of downtown right down the river
-People can float the Pierpont river, a beautiful 3 hour ride that's a popular pastime among Pierpontians.
-Surprisingly large cultural scene, as well as a host of museums and librarys near the central core of downtown.
-Lots and lots of fun stuff to do everywhere you go!!

With the exception of the extensive mass-transit system and the surprisingly large cultural scene (which actually could be considered true, but that's kind of an exaggeration), all of these are traits of Boise, Idaho. So why make Pierpont? Because Boise was a victim of massive urban sprawl. Had our city leaders and electorate voted thinking ahead to the future and away from suburbia and highways, our city could actually have a well planned central core that would be a truly wonderful place to live in (not that it isn't right now anyway).

So Pierpont is an alternate Boise, Idaho...what I think Boise would be if our city was condensed on the same level as Des Moines or Richmond, etc.

Now the bad news:

Unfortunately, being my computer is tragically slow, I'm only going to be able to show single buildings/blocks at a time, for if I try to compile it all together, SU crashes. So my goal now is to build Pierpont one block at a time for about the next 2-3 months or so.

Then, when I finally get a new computer, I'll be able to compile it all together onto a grid I've been designing and make it the best SU city ever blowing Staunton, Gold Coast City, Trinity City and every other pitiful SU city ever made right outta the water!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!! *cue evil grin* Just kidding! Just kidding! I keed I keed I keed!!!

Anyway, now that I've thoroughly bored you with information...screenshots to come shortly!!

Anthony

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup