HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 20, 2005, 12:52 AM
The True Avatar

Thanks for adding the updates toggie.
I am liking this tower more and more.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2005, 2:45 AM
. . . . . . .

I still can't stand the windows punched into the concrete wall without any ornamentation or framing. It looks cheap and reminds me of RiverWest. Ick!

I do like the glass portions, however, and am very glad a deal was made with the Scientologists since it enabled a much improved base.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2005, 11:26 AM
The True Avatar

It reminds me more of Jackson Tower in Saint Paul. Only with an arc.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2005, 3:42 PM
The True Avatar

It sounds as if they Ivy Tower might be dead as a Condo Tower. The word is now that it will be strictly a hotel. But now we are waiting to see if there will be design changes with it as well. There has been some talk of a large hotel chain being the tennant. The Convention Center wanted the site for a hotel to begin with, so they might be getting their way.
The 5th Ave Greenway people have put their project on hold. They want to watch the condo market more closely over the next year. But they say they are still commited to building on the site.
The Eclipse will be going before the Planning Comission soon. It should get city approvals then. The hole in the ground is already there for phase 1, and they hope to start construction soon after approvals.
1016 Marquette will be starting construction very soon. They have started site preperation.
Skyscape has gone thru site preperation and should start rising soon. But there have been some murmurs that it has stalled. I think it will start sometime later this month.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2005, 10:42 PM

would it be too early to add in the recent news that Mr. Bell has given us?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2005, 12:35 AM
tä-gE

No, I'll put them in as Future and call them Milliken Development 1 and 2.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2005, 1:07 AM
The True Avatar

I was just about to bring this up too. No renderings yet. But there is a proposal for twin 30 story residentail towers as part of a development that will include a Whole Foods, other retail and 5 floors of office. This will be on Hennipen Ave across from the Eclipse proposal.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2005, 11:58 PM

Ivy project isn't stalled after all!

Landmark Hotel in Minneapolis Joins Starwood's Prestigious Luxury Collection; The IVY Hotel + Residences Will Add a New Luxury Experience to the Vibrant Minneapolis Downtown Market

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 31, 2005--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT) announces a long-term agreement with The IVY Hotel + Residences, a luxury mixed-use development with historic origin, to join Starwood's prestigious Luxury Collection portfolio of hotels and resorts. The IVY Hotel + Residences, a Luxury Collection Hotel, will be built to include three distinct structures - a high-rise residential tower and a mid-rise hotel tower - surrounding the ten-story historic IVY Tower landmark as the centerpiece of the project. Featuring 136 guest rooms and suites and 88 luxury residences, the development will also include a destination restaurant, 4,000 square feet of meeting space, a 17,000-square-foot resort-quality spa and wellness center, and upscale retail space. The development is scheduled for completion in spring 2007.

"The IVY Hotel + Residences marks The Luxury Collection's entry into the Midwestern United States and will be a perfect compliment to our existing Luxury Collection hotels, which are renowned for their distinctive landmark hotels, considered some of the finest in the world," stated Stephen Alden, senior vice president of The Luxury Collection. "This hotel will offer outstanding accommodations, spa services and is located in one of the most dynamic growth markets in the United States."

"Redefining luxury, The IVY Hotel + Residences will offer a new level of hospitality experience to the many executives and visitors to the elite Minneapolis corporate headquarters such as American Express and Target, as well as the Minneapolis Convention Center," according to Paul Wischermann, president of Wischermann Partners, a Minneapolis-based hospitality consulting and hotel management firm involved in several Twin Cities hotel development projects. "The historic significance of the IVY Tower + Residences will lend character, distinction and a timeless quality to the project's positioning and design while marking the rebirth of one of Minneapolis' most important and treasured historic landmarks."

The IVY Hotel + Residences will be situated in the heart of the city's vibrant downtown section, steps away from Orchestra Hall, Nicollet Mall, and will integrate Minneapolis' skyway system and provide convenient climate-controlled access to the Minneapolis Convention Center and all of the city's downtown connected buildings. The historic IVY Tower will provide the signature experience for Minneapolis hotel guests, where the majority of the luxury guest suites will be located. The solid, masculine character of the "little tower" will be balanced with plush furnishings, elegant fabrics and classic art pieces to create a true luxury experience for guests. All guest rooms will feature distinctive bathrooms with separate rain forest showers and oversized soaking bathtubs and 42-inch flat-screen panel televisions.

The IVY Tower will host a first floor restaurant, which expands into the garden level, the hotel lobby and lounge, and a three-story atrium. The second level introduces the spa and wellness facility spanning an entire floor throughout all three towers. The third level features state-of-the-art meeting space, business center and access to the convention center. The residential and hotel components will occupy the fourth level and up.

To sophisticated travelers worldwide, The Luxury Collection delivers the finest hotel experiences through their unparalleled attention to their guests' needs and preferences, their exceptional and distinctive properties and seamless integration of the customs, culture and environment of each property's locale.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with approximately 750 properties in more than 80 countries and 120,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. With internationally renowned brands, Starwood(R) corporation is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels and resorts including: St. Regis(R), The Luxury Collection(R), Sheraton(R), Westin(R), Four Points(R) by Sheraton, and W(R), Hotels and Resorts as well as Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., one of the premier developers and operators of high quality vacation interval ownership resorts. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.com

Please contact Starwood's new, toll-free media hotline at (866) 4-STAR-PR (866-478-2777) for photography or additional information.

JOURNALISTS - PLEASE NOTE: JOIN STARWOOD'S PRESS RELEASE ALERT SERVICE TO RECEIVE STARWOOD COMPANY NEWS AND INFORMATION

To become a member, simply access the Starwood website, at: www.starwood.com/press

Once you reach the home page, enter your e-mail address, and click "Subscribe".

Old Posted Aug 31, 2005, 11:58 PM

oops. posted twice

Old Posted Sep 2, 2005, 3:41 AM

Another new project in Uptown...Track 29

Slick website too....www.track29uptown.com

Old Posted Sep 2, 2005, 5:24 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

I love the design of that hospital w/ its big open space at the top. I work in the ER, and I would love to see all that bright sunshoine flowing in at my hospital....

However, I just wonder how safe it would be to transport pts up & down if the power went out during a major snowstorm or other natural disaster, etc....

Old Posted Sep 2, 2005, 10:24 PM

I think you are referring to the rendering of the condo tower on the former eitel hospital site?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2005, 9:44 PM
. . . . . . .

Construction Update: The Carlyle and Skyscape

The Carlyle

Skyscape

Old Posted Sep 3, 2005, 11:01 PM
The True Avatar

I am amazed at how long it has taken to build the base of the tower of the Carlyle. But at least in the next week or two the tower itself will start rising.
As for Skyscape it is nice to see pilings in the ground and excavation having begun. This tower is rumored that once started will rise quickly. It is a simpler design than the Carlyle so it will probably rise quickly.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2005, 4:33 PM

Upscale future for Ivy
Dan Mitchell, Star Tribune
September 5, 2005 REAL0905

The historic Ivy Tower will become part of a top-tier luxury hotel and condominium complex called the Ivy Hotel + Residences, to be built near the Minneapolis Convention Center.

Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc. will make the Ivy the ninth Luxury Collections hotel in the United States. Starwood also owns the Sheraton, Four Points, Westin, St. Regis and W hotel brands.

Other Luxury Collections hotels include the well-known Phoenician resort in Scottsdale, Ariz. and the Palace Hotel in San Francisco. Most are in resort areas and vacation destinations, which makes the Minneapolis location unusual.

When completed, the complex will incorporate three buildings -- two new towers attached to the historic Ivy Tower itself, which will contain hotel rooms including suites that will fetch up to $2,000 a night.

Developers Jeffrey Laux and Gary Benson chose the Luxury Collections flag in part because "the positioning had to be very, very upscale, and at that level, you don't have that many choices," said Paul Wischermann of Wischermann Partners Inc., which will manage the property.

The kicker was the opportunity to use Starwood's reservations system, which will attract upscale business travelers who regularly stay at Starwood hotels to take advantage of discounts and other perks, Wischermann said. "We believe the tie-in with Starwood is a major advantage."

Room rates will range from about $180 to $300 a night.

A 17-story, 136-room hotel will be built just east of the tower. A 22-story building containing 86 luxury condominiums will be built to the north. The buildings will all be connected, but the complex is configured to make the buildings "read as individual" from the outside, Wischermann said. Despite the height of the new buildings, the design is aimed at keeping the 1930-built Ivy Tower -- considered to be one of the city's architectural jewels -- as the centerpiece.

All 86 condominium units have been sold, at prices ranging from about $550,000 to more than $800,000.

The city is providing up to $9.5 million in tax increment financing for the project, which means bonds will be issued and paid off using tax proceeds from the increase in the property value. As part of their agreement with the city, the developers will make 18 of the condo units affordable housing.

The complex will include a 17,000-square-foot, full-service spa and athletic center, 4,000 square feet of meeting space, a "destination" restaurant and upscale shops.

Construction is slated to begin in about a month, with completion set for the spring of 2007.

Wischermann, through a partnership with Ryan Companies, is a developer of the Sheraton Hotel that will be part of the Midtown Exchange, the massive redevelopment of the former Sears property on Lake Street in South Minneapolis.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2005, 11:28 AM
The True Avatar

The owners of the Foshay Tower have announced that they are in the planning stages of converting the office tower into a condo and hotel tower. This tower was built in 1929 and is 32 stories, 447 feet tall. It also has an open air observation deck.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2005, 4:59 AM
tä-gE

I added a rendering for the 730 Lofts

Old Posted Sep 18, 2005, 11:48 AM
The True Avatar

^
This is the best of the 3 to be proposed or built. 710 Lofts looks too much like its neighbors, 720 Lofts was an improvement but still pretty bland. This one with all the glass looks much better. Too bad it got cut down from 12 stories.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2005, 2:24 AM

The cobalt with lunds grocery store and skyscape are now officially Under construction. The Lunds on the other side of downtown is well underway as well, so thats 2 grocers on the way. finally!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2005, 9:13 PM
The True Avatar

So they are finally tearing doen Eastgate and East High School? I might drive by the site on Saturday or Sunday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations