HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 2:24 PM

Here's a good aerial of downtown showing the Bricktown entertainment district and canal in the foreground, an area where a several new hotels are to be constructed in the next couple of years:

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Chesapeake Boathouse

The Chesapeake Boathouse near Bricktown will set a high standard of architecture along the river. It will host public facilities and the home of the Oklahoma City University men's crew:

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Downtown OKC newsletter

For news on what's complete or underway, check out Downtown OKC's quarterly newsletter:

http://www.downtownokc.com/pdfs/skyl...arter_2005.pdf

The best thing about what's happening in downtown OKC is that you're seeing not only big ticket projects, but also smaller ones that add life and flavor to downtown.

Last edited by upNcomer; Aug 5, 2005 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 5:07 PM
BANNED

Shown earlier, the Mat Hoffman Action Sports Park is also near downtown along the river. It was opened only a few months ago:

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Sonic HQ

Sonic's HQ in Lower Bricktown:

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 11:04 PM

This is a project underway along the river - it is massive.

The main sculptural body is a racing mass of horsepower and humanity which will spread thirty feet across and cover a distance of one hundred yards.

At a scale of one and a half times life-size, a single horse and rider will tower twelve feet above the ground.

Separated from this racing mass are two additional figure groups: soldiers with a cannon signal the starting point and a lone sooner waits with his horse ahead of the action. The entire length of this colossal work will stretch out longer than a football field!

Such a grand scale befits this epic drama. The impressive size suggests the monumental effort of those early settlers, but the real story is found in the details. All the frenzied energy and emotion from one instant during the 1889 run is captured in bronze - frozen in time and space for all generations. Through Paul Moore's masterful hand, a still and silent sculpture comes to life as an eternal, living presence.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2005, 11:58 PM
Oklahoma City

Bricktown Canal Mosaic

Another nice Bricktown project has been approved and on which work should start shortly if it hasn't already, but which is said will take about 23 months to complete, is the Oklahoma Centennial Mosaic Mural (BTW, OK was admitted as a state in 1907, so the centennial year is 2007):

According to http://www.downtownokc.com/pdfs/skyl...arter_2004.pdf

Quote:
Oklahoma Centennial Mosaic Mural
Project: Oklahoma City Community College and Professor Mary Ann Moore, (Mosaicist and Project Director) will design, produce and install an Oklahoma themed tile mural. The mural will be located at the Bricktown Canal Water Plaza which is at the northwest terminus of the canal system.

The mosaic mural will include Oklahoma natural landscapes and wildlife. These images will serve to educate the public regarding official state symbols and emblems from nature. The mural will total approximately 1,150 sq. ft of wall space and be comprised of handmade porcelain and Oklahoma clay tiles pieces. The tiles will first be adhered to mesh then installed on walls, grouted and sealed.
The source says that once the mosaic production is done, it will take 1 to 2 weeks to install.

Last edited by Doug Loudenback; Aug 8, 2005 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2005, 12:20 AM
Oklahoma City

I don't recall that this thread has said anything so far about the Dell Call Center, roughly at the SW corner of the intersection of I-40 (East/West) and I-44 (at that point, North/South). It occupies either 62 or 68 acres (I've seen both numbers) and is bounded on the North by the "Oklahoma" River ... ha ha ... it's actually a segment of the North Canadian River which was recently renamed and which roughly runs from a little West of I-40 to somewhere East of downtown. Generally, the facility is located about 4 miles North of the Will Rogers Airport. This pic shows the general location (the yellow highlighted area - I-44 is visible, but I-40 is not):

From what I've read, the Call Center focuses on small and mid-sized businesses. A drawing of the 1st building is this:

The 1st building is pretty much done and employees have started moving into it, or so I've read. A 2nd building, similar to the 1st, is said to be done by February 2006. A 3rd building is possible, but not yet assured, as far as I know.

How big a deal is this for OKC? Well, anything from a company like Dell is good. But, as to projections of the number of employees, I've seen numbers all over the map on that one. One says that it may eventually employ 5,000, but, at present, I think the number is more like 1,000, but with more, perhaps another 1,000 to 1,500 when the 2nd building is done. We shall see.

BTW, if I've gotten anything wrong, perhaps someone with better knowledge will chime in. I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere from several different sources. I have NO first hand knowledge.

And, plans are for a water taxi location to be located here and traveling West on the Oklahoma River a bit East of downtown, which would be approximately 4-5 miles.

Last edited by Doug Loudenback; Aug 8, 2005 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2005, 10:52 PM

I read in the Oklahoman that there are somewhere around 500 hotel rooms being planned for around the convention center. Unfortunately i dont have the story with me anymore but im sure it will be back in the news again if any projects are anounced.

" There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not fear to do or say what you believe." - Winston Churchill

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 10:59 PM

Here you go:

"Downtown to boost hotel space

By Tricia Pemberton
The Oklahoman

If all goes as planned, Oklahoma City may have almost 600 new downtown hotel rooms by the time the Big 12 basketball tournament comes to town in 2007.

Planned downtown hotels to meet variety of needs

Renovation work on the 108-room Colcord is under way. Work at the 225-room Hilton Skirvin should start in August.

John Q. Hammons is seeking final approval from Oklahoma City's Urban Renewal Authority for a 150-room Marriott Residence Inn in Bricktown.

Hammons also promises a downtown Embassy Suites in the future.

A 150- to 200-room Hampton Inn is about 90 percent assured by Bricktown developer Marsh Pittman. And a 20-room bed-and-breakfast is envisioned by canal-side property owner Chris Johnson.

"Our downtown hotel inventory is just critical to attracting convention and tourism business," said Steve Collier, executive director of the Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Collier said 931 rooms are downtown. If all projects on the table go forward, the city would land between 1,500 to 1,700 rooms, and that would adequately match the city's meeting space.

"We'd feel really good about that," Collier said.

"And the quality of rooms is an exciting thing. We're going to have some very high quality to go along with the upscale convention hotels we already have."

JoeVan Bullard, director of Oklahoma City's Urban Renewal Authority, said more hotel rooms would allow Oklahoma City to become a strong Tier 2 city.

Check out okctalk.com - You might like to check out some local discussions regarding downtown OK and new developments.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2005, 7:18 PM

Even though this is an older photo, the Bricktown area is being renovated and new projects are being added frequently. This is the Bricktown Canal at night.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2005, 7:06 AM
Editor

NICE!
It's a bit Nostalgic to see Okie City again
Soo, they're renovating the Citizens Plaza - I lived like 2 minutes walking from it
Nice to see the enLIveMent in Bricktown - about time. All those empty buildings like the Spaghetti Factory etc.

A question - did they finally finish the Highway 77, and they were digging on May avenue (a bit down from "Angles") forever - just wondering for curiocity's sake.

Also - what's going on around the Classen & NW23rd area - I remember they wanted to do something there, and do something to the 'boob building' (the Bank One) - all the protests there etc. LOL. Fill us in.

Thanks for continuing inflow of info.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2005, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Nice to hear from you Vladneyro. What did you do when you were in the city?

Renovation of the Citizens Tower into condos (The Classen) is not finished yet. Within a few years, a restaurant and other amenities will be added for residents.

The geodesic bank, aka the Gold Dome, was saved from demolition by Dr. Irene Lam after all the protests. She renovated it for commercial use, but sections of it are devoted to multicultural programming. There's a gallery space and cultural events are underway.

Several new restaurants are popping up in the NW 23rd district, and there's a new Super Cao Nguyen supermarket. It's arguably the largest non-chain grocery in the city, if not the state. Check it out at http://69.53.20.9/

Some dining arrivals are: Tom and Jerry's Steak and Fish Grille, which offers Spanish tapas, California Cafe serves up authentic Vietnamese and Chinese, and Backdoor Coffeehouse is a nice new hangout. Jeff's Country Cafe relocated to Classen when Walgreens bumped it.

Also, the City of Oklahoma City has done some work for the district, adding "Asian District" signs and planning a small amphitheater where Military Park was. Some additions are likely.

Yes, it's nice to see the maturation of Bricktown. Yet construction is far from over. Bob Funk, the owner of the Redhawks, has expressed interest in building condos overlooking the Bricktown Ballpark. Designs for a Residence Inn and another condo building were accepted yesterday for Lower Bricktown. You can check http://www.bricktownokc.com/ to see what's there.

The I-77 should be complete (I'm a southsider). Not sure about that May project, though.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2005, 1:50 PM

The Montgomery unveils $1 million event center
by Brandice J. O'Brien

The $1 million Montgomery Event Center, created in the 8,000-square-foot basement of the 76-year-old building at 500 W. Main St., will house wedding guests, partiers and business conference attendees.

Designed by ADG Architects and developed by Richard Tanenbaum, the event center offers a sophisticated atmosphere with framed pictures of early 20th century Oklahoma City and a plasma screen to welcome guests when they step off the elevator.

"It's the most unique event center in the city right now," said Brenda Stevens, director of the facility. "The ambience is like no one else offers. It's old-world."

The facility also features several amenities including state-of-the-art sound system, audio visuals including built-in screens, projectors and wireless Internet.

The event center can hold up to 500 people in its main room or can be sectioned off into three smaller rooms depending on the size needed. When divided, the center room holds up to 200 people and the two side rooms will each fit up to 150 people.

Prices range from $500 to $2,000, depending on the number of guests, size of the room needed, length of function and time of day.

The facility is sure to compete with Meinders Hall of Mirrors, the Petroleum Club and Coles Gardens, said Charles Dodson, vice president of the multifamily division at Gardner Tanenbaum Group, who oversees The Montgomery, The Classen and Lincoln at Central Park.

Approximately 40 events are booked through December and as far out as August 2006.

The Montgomery was originally constructed as a Montgomery Ward department store in 1929.

The six-floor 128,000-square-foot building opened as a mixed-use property last October, after eight months of construction. The building houses approximately 50 apartment units and seven retail businesses including Celebrity Valet Corp., Express Personnel and Trattoria il Centro, a restaurant expected to open next month.

Brandice J. O'Brien reports on real estate, technology, manufacturing, entertainment, tourism and media. You may reach her by phone at 278-2846 or by e-mail at brandice.obrien@journalrecord.com.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2005, 7:25 PM

Interesting mixed-use project in Norman (south OKC metro) called the East Village. Street level retail/cafes and 3 floors of loft apartments above about a mile from the OU campus. 24 townhomes behind the apartment buildings and space at the corner for a proposed pharmacy and coffee shop.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2005, 12:42 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Location: Dallas.TX Previously:Seattle/San Diego/Chicago/New London/Portsmouth
^ What is the exact location? Streetcorner, etc.

South, west, southwest of campus?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2005, 3:17 PM
BANNED

I believe it's on 12th and E. Lindsey - a mile east of the campus.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2005, 9:25 PM

^ That is correct, SW corner of 12th and Lindsey. Hopefully this will spur more of this type of development in the campus area of Norman, making it more pedestrian/bike friendly.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2005, 2:16 PM

Here's a link to the newly revamped Downtown Oklahoma website that gives detailed information on housing and activities in OKC and Bricktown. http://www.downtownokc.com/

Also, if you have any questions on new projects or have downtown housing questions, you will find the answer on www.OKCTalk.com - a very active forum that has much information on the latest happenings including the arrival of the Hornets Team and convention happenings.

It's an exciting time for OKC!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2005, 7:53 PM

I never knew that forum existed, and yes, I got your PM, karried.

There is also http://urbanok.999.org, which is operated by a friend of mine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations