HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 3, 2005, 5:29 PM
Island of Galveston

Schlitterbahn will be next to Moody Gardens in Galveston

New Technology, GM Unveiled at Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark
View Artwork

Using a 40-foot-wide working scale model, Schlitterbahn Waterparks designer and owner Jeff Henry demonstrated the state-of-the-art river system that will encircle and connect 15-acres of attractions. �The idea is to maximize guests� entertainment time in the water,� Henry explained. �We�ve created an innovative man-made river that has many of the features found in natural rivers, including eddies and rapids. Three interconnecting sections carry guests around the park and the experience is never the same twice,� he said.

Henry explained that the technology is the next evolution of the award-winning Transportainment� river system introduced at Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark on South Padre Island. Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark will also have a covered section that will allow part of the park to remain open year-round. In addition, the park will feature more than 20 attractions including body slides, tube slides and speed slides, plus a wave pool and children�s activity pool. Fans of the original Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort in New Braunfels will find some of their favorite rides such as a bodyboarding ride, Tidal Wave River� and Master Blaster� uphill water coaster.

The indoor portion of the park will open this winter, including tube and speed slides, hot tub, children�s activity pool and a Tidal Wave River�. The rest of the park will be open by the 2006 summer season...

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/corp/me...photos-gal.asp

Old Posted Jun 4, 2005, 8:15 PM

Galveston Landmark to Become Condos

The Eibands Building, once home of the Texas Supreme Court, is being transformed into 24 luxury condos by Karam Development Interests. Located at 2201 Postoffice St., the building was originally constructed around 1870 by Ballinger & Jack, a prestigious Galveston law firm that also founded the State Bar of Texas.

The building housed the Texas Supreme Court from 1875 until 1890, and was known as Eibands Department Store from 1900 until the end of the 20th Century.

Plans call for that retail tradition to continue on the first floor, while condos will be located on floors two through four. Units will range in size from 1,523 square feet to 2,012 square feet, and range in price from $313,530 to $486,240.

Amenities of the Eibands Luxury Condominiums will include gated parking, storage units, a rooftop overlook deck and a fitness center. Units will feature granite kitchen countertops and backsplashes, modern stainless appliances and custom build-outs.

Karam's development team consists of Pinnacle Construction Industries Inc., Joe Rozier of Eubanks Group Architects, interior designer Mikel Reper and V.J. Tramonte of Joe Tramonte Realty. Karam also developed the Ice & Cold Storage Building on Harborside Drive in Galveston.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2005, 8:56 AM

Schlitterbahn being so close to Moody Gardens like that should really bring some new excitement to the Island..I always thought Galveston should be like Texas version of Orlando.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2005, 11:49 PM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Location: Dallas.TX Previously:Seattle/San Diego/Chicago/New London/Portsmouth
Sapphire looks good. Great for South Padre Island.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2005, 6:28 PM
Island of Galveston

---

Last edited by NIKKI; Oct 26, 2005 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2005, 2:01 AM
Meh

I saw a few of those up top during the Hurricane Emily coverage.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 27, 2005, 2:20 PM
H-town Baller

Any idea of the growth rate for Galveston? Will it surpass 60K again? Last I "heard", the population was estimated at about 59,200, up from its 2000 number of ~ 57,300.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2005, 1:44 AM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

Galveston or Memphis?

NIKKI: What are those pyramid shaped structures in Galveston?

I recall trips to Galveston and enjoyed its history and preservation of older buildings.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2005, 2:15 AM

THE BISHOP'S PALACE
New era awaits historic gem
The mayor of Galveston is heading a $5 million drive to buy and refurbish the 112-year-old landmark, one of the city's most popular tourist attractions
By LOUIS B. PARKS
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

GALVESTON - Growing up in the 1930s and 1940s, Lyda Ann Quinn lived only a block from the Bishop's Palace. She attended church and school right across the street, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church.

"From the earliest time I can remember we walked past the Bishop's Palace, every Sunday and sometimes every day of the week. As a child, it looked like a palace, like a king and queen should live in the building. It was like a fairy-tale castle out of books to me."

As mayor of Galveston, Lyda Ann Thomas will spearhead a $5 million fund-raising campaign for the city to purchase and refurbish the 112-year-old Chateauesque home, which towers above Broadway, the island's main street. The Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston has owned the historical home since 1923 and operated it as a museum since 1963.

Thomas and Archbishop Joseph A. Fiorenza have agreed in principle to the sale of the structure to the city, they said Wednesday.

"Historically, it is one of the most important buildings in the country," Thomas said. "It attracts more visitors than any of our other house museums on the island."

The city and the archdiocese have not yet agreed on a sale price for the building, which is in need of repairs, including work to stop a leaking roof. No tax money will be used for the purchase or restoration, the mayor said.

"We can see from the street the deterioration that has been occurring," Thomas said. "I just decided to go up and talk to the archbishop and see if the archdiocese would be willing to let the citizens begin to raise money to restore the building, since the church was struggling with it."

Fiorenza conceded that the Bishop's Palace is a financial burden on the archdiocese, adding that running a museum is "not particularly our mission." He said he thinks the city can do a better job of maintaining it.

"The city has great experience in managing historical homes and museums," Fiorenza said. "We feel under the direction of the Galveston Historical Foundation that beautiful architectural gem will be better preserved as a great tourist attraction for the city of Galveston."

Although the foundation operates several Galveston attractions, including three home museums, it has not been determined whether it will run the Bishop's Palace.

"That is a possibility down the road," said Marsh Davis, head of the historical foundation. "It's going to take some time to gauge the feasibility of it all. But the foundation will be part of the planning process."

The foundation wants to ensure covenants attached to the deed in perpetuity "protect every square inch inside and out" of the structure, Davis said.

The Friends of the Palace campaign, announced at a news conference Wednesday, intends to raise approximately $5 million during the next five years.

"Initially, we will be looking for around $3 million, part of which will be for the purchase," Thomas said. "Part of that $3 million will be used for immediate repairs."

Fiorenza said he does not yet have a sale price in mind. He said the archdiocese had not planned to sell the building before he was approached by the mayor. "We haven't done the proper appraisals of the building and the furnishings," he said. "We will be doing that in the coming months."

The money that the archdiocese receives from the sale will remain in Galveston, according to Thomas and Fiorenza. Some of it will go toward the continuing restoration of St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica, which was built in 1847.

When Col. Walter Gresham began construction of his home in 1887, he spared no expense making it the supreme structure in Galveston. Having made a fortune in cotton and railroading, Gresham was able to import the finest materials from around the world, hire the best craftsmen and put it all under the design of acclaimed architect Nicholas J. Clayton.

The home opened in 1893, grandly showy on the outside, richly detailed inside. Its modulated facade features sculpted native Texas granite, white limestone and red sandstone.

Its unusual skyline is formed by jutting towers, dormers and gables. Inside, doorways, mantels and a grand central staircase feature elaborately carved rosewood, satinwood, white mahogany, oak and maple.

Gresham died in 1920, and the home was purchased by the Diocese of Galveston in 1923 as a residence for Bishop Christopher E. Byrne. It soon became known as the Bishop's Palace. Byrne died in 1950.

In the 1960s, a group of Galveston citizens persuaded the diocese to open the home to tourism. It became one of the city's most popular attractions. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.

"Before 9/11 there were about 50,000 (visitors) a year," Fiorenza said. "Now it's down some, but they hope for that to pick up again."

Income from tours is not enough to cover maintenance costs, so the city will try to make it profitable in other ways.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2005, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.S.O.N.,Thursday, August 4th, 2005 @ 1:47am
Another project for the seawall!

Seawall seconds?: Rumor has it that island developer Miguel Angel Prida, riding high on strong sales at his 11-story Seawall condominium project still under construction, is planning a second residential development nearby.

Prida, who could not be reached for comment, is developer of the $14 million Ocean Grove, 9420 Seawall Blvd. Sources say he purchased land just west of Ocean Grove for a second multi-family project. Stay tuned...

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?...06d8912fdf0c9fd

Progress on Ocean Grove July 12th 2005

Old Posted Aug 5, 2005, 12:31 AM
Meh

I hadn't noticed that Corpus Christi project the other day when I checked this thread. I read about it today, but this is the first rendering I've seen of it. I'll keep an eye on it.

Corpus Christi did get a major building last year. They finished a 10=story hospital near the location where they were talking about in that article that NIKKI posted above. I wasn't aware that they were planning a 2nd hospital project next to that first one. I took some pictures of the 10-story tower when I was there last, and got a little info about it. I need to add that to Skyscrapers.com as soon as I can. I'm still trying to catch up on all the work I have to do at the site. I had also heard a while back, like 2 years ago that they were wanting to build a new hotel along Shoreline Boulevard. I haven't heard anything else about that. Have any of you?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 7:08 PM
H-town Baller

I think it will look better if/when other highrises go up around it. As it stands now--that is, sort of on its own--the design makes it appear somewhat dull. It needs to be placed in context with something else, I think.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2005, 4:37 PM
Meh

Re: Galveston or Memphis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_tiger
NIKKI: What are those pyramid shaped structures in Galveston?

I recall trips to Galveston and enjoyed its history and preservation of older buildings.
That's the Moody Gardens. It has an aqarium in the big blue pyramid, 128 feet tall with 10 floors. There's a walk through tunnel. Not sure how big the aquarium is, but it's one of the largest in Texas. There's a "cold room" where they have penguins. The other pyramid has a rainforest in it with tropical plants. It also has wildlife in the rainforest. The last pyramid contains a planetarium.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 2:41 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Kevin, do you think you could help in making a list for projects in this thread that I or the thread-starter (whoever sees it first) can put into the first post?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2005, 3:34 AM
Meh

Sure, check your messages Troy.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 8:31 PM
Sea™/Ciudad™

So, anything new up in this joint?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2005, 5:42 AM

So did sapphire ever begin construction ??

And exactly which towers are UC in Palaside Palms. I know the Trade Winds and the Beach club are UC, but what about the rest of the towers? They are not mentioned in the Palaside Palms website.
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Last edited by kazpmk; Nov 24, 2005 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2005, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazpmk

And exactly which towers are UC in Palaside Palms. I know the Trade Winds and the Beach club are UC, but what about the rest of the towers? They are not mentioned in the Palaside Palms website.
The project is being built in phases. The other two towere are not near construction.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2005, 7:52 PM
On The Border, By The Sea

Construction hasn't started on the Saphirre condos. I think construction will begin in 2006 or so.

Blog: Brownsville Talk

RGV Forum:[URL="http://rgv.7.forumer.com/index.php [/URL]

Old Posted Nov 24, 2005, 8:06 PM
Ω

The Texas coast is so polluted and nasty. I have no idea why anyone would want to vacation there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations