HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 31, 2003, 4:54 PM
"Madtown Guru"

I just read about the bank relocation at wisbusiness.com. Great news for the city.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2003, 5:35 PM

Score one for the city. Good news for milwaukee.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2003, 6:56 AM

Ground has broken for Milwaukee's newest residential high-rise, which began construction a few weeks ago. Kilbourn Tower will rise from atop the lake bluff at the corner of N. Prospect and E. Kilbourn Avenues. Th 33-story tower will have 74 luxury condominium units, and aditional amenities including a 24-hour concierge service, on-site wine cellar and humidor, fitness center, business center, with 4 levels of underground parking and a private car wash.

See the Kilbourn Tower website for more details.

The Journal Sentinel had a special advertising section a couple of weeks ago called "Condo Living" that featured a great article about Kilobourn Tower with some renderings.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2003, 8:15 PM

Brew town's really becoming upscale, that tower extends the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2003, 8:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

YES!!!!

kilbourne is finally going to happen. a mighty fine modern building building in an absolutely great spot in regards to the skyline. this will be a fun one to watch as it rises as it will have a dramatic skyline impact, especially from the lake view of the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2003, 2:10 AM
123elm

A very nice addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2003, 2:56 AM
wheelingman

What a nice addition to the skyline this will be and the great city of Milwaukee.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2003, 12:24 PM
"Madtown Guru"

I drove by yesterday. A big hole in the ground is all that's apparent right now.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2003, 4:58 AM

University Club Tower, the proposed 32-story luxury condo atop the lakefront bluff in Downtown, has received preliminary approval from the Milwaukee City Planning Commission.

The tower remains in the marketing stages, as the developer is looking for more prospectuve buyers before construction can begin.

The site for this tower is immediately next-door to Kilbourn Tower, already under construction (see previous posts above). It is located immediately to the left of Kilbourn Tower in the renderings posted toward the top of this thread.

See the article from today's Journal Sentinel for more details: City planners favor condo tower - Downtown units would be tops in size, price

Old Posted Sep 9, 2003, 5:17 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Okay...Milwaukee is TOTALLY impressing me at this moment. SO SO SO SO SO underrated .

Old Posted Sep 9, 2003, 5:33 AM
devout Pizzatarian

great news markitect, thanks for the update. kilbourne tower alone will dramtically change the skyline from the lake, but if this other tower also rises right next to it, it'll damn near be a brand new face to the skyline.

here's to hoping that the development pace continues to gather steam in brewcity.

p.s. i am photoshop incompetent, but i was wondeing if someone else with mad p-shop skills could maybe morph that u club tower into that kilbourne tower rendering, or vice -versa. perhaps the persepctives are too different to make it work, but it might look cool.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 9, 2003 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2003, 2:48 AM
BANNED

Thanks for the update Markitect. Keep 'em coming. Everything looks WONDERFUL. Milwaukee is definetly moving forward in the RIGHT direction!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2003, 7:03 AM
BANNED

Man, you are overflowing with good news, aren't you Mark?

I was downtown yesterday (I went to Borders to pick up the new John Mayer CD, of course) and Cathedral Place is nearly finished. The tower's facade is 2/3rds complete, and the parking garage portion's facade appears to be complete already, unless they're adding glass to cover up the interiors...which I kind of hope they do.

The condo boom is definately big here...very exciting times. 1522 was just completed a few months ago (hey, didja know that Halle Berry's movin' into the top two floors?), and Kilbourne is getting ready to go up...funny, but I year ago, there were a few Milwaukee forumers who doubted that even that would make it to the construction phase, much less the then-renderingless University Club Tower. Honestly, I can't remember if I did or not...lol. It's just too bad that RiverTower fell by the wayside. That was a cool-lookin' building. Ah, well. Life goes on, and the Park East goes down (yay!). Things are lookin' good from where I'm sitting.

Ironically enough, I happen to be sitting in a building facing north, so I really can't see anything I was just talking about. But you got what I meant. Um...yeah. This is what happens when I don't sleep, kids.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2003, 4:15 AM

Milwaukee's lakefront will be heating up once again with an invitation-only architectural design competition for the proposed Pier Wisconsin building--a new home for the organization that specializes in Great Lakes and freshwater education.

The original design and location for the new Pier Wisconsin building were heavily debated over the past couple of years. The white colored sail-and-mast-like design elements were criticized for being too derrivative the neighborhing Quadracci Pavillion at the Milwaukee Art Museum. Furthermore, despite its sloping tent-like form, the 90-foot high building was criticized for obstructing views of Lake Michigan. Other design criticisms arose over public access, parking issues, and incoherent reconfiguration of the site at the end of Municipal Pier.

After local philanthropist Michael Cudahay, who was backing the project, threatened to relocate the project to other Wisconsin cities, a 30-year lease agreement was ironed out upon the understanding that the project be redesigned. In addition to aquariums, exhibits, classrooms, labs, and theater/lecture halls, the new proposal will also include a new location for the science education center, Discovery World (one of Cudahay's previous acts of philanthropy), currently located at the Milwaukee Public Museum in Downtown.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel announced today that a competition will be held in the coming weeks for a new design for Pier Wisconsin.

Read the article for more details (and check out the archived Pier Wisconsin articles in the sidebar, too): Architects to compete for Pier design - Invitations seek plans for water education facility

Pictured below are renderings and models of the old design for Pier Wisconsin, which have now been scrapped.

The site on Municipal Pier is the current home for the Pier Wisconsin group, which operates out of the old terminal of the now-defunct Milwaukee Clipper steamship (which used to run between Milwaukee, WI and Muskegon, MI). The old terminal building will be demolished to make way for the new building. Pier Wisconsin has provided facilities to educate vistors about Great Lakes marine life and history. Recently, the group completed the Dennis Sullivan--a replica of a Great Lakes schooner--built from scratch primarily by a group of volunteers (depicted in the renderings above).

Old Posted Sep 14, 2003, 5:46 PM
BANNED

I like the original design and location. It's perfect IMO.

Is that location and design in the picture, then, NOT going to happen? What's the most likely location for this?

I don't see how this could possibly "obstruct views." Sounds ludicrous.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2003, 7:30 PM
BANNED

The original design is clunky and an obvious knock-off of the art museum. This is GREAT news.

EDIT: Oh God...please don't let Kahler-Slater win...

And btw, there's a new rendering of University Club Tower up at the site. I'll have to go take pics soon!

Last edited by CityGawd5; Sep 14, 2003 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2003, 7:42 PM

The project has, and will be located in the same general area--on Municipal Pier, just south and east of the Art Museum. As to where exactly on the Pier it will be located (at the eastern tip, or along the southern edge, or somewhere else nearby) I have no idea.

The criticism about obstructing views of the lake came about because of the building's opaqueness. Most of the facade of the building was a solid white mass with small slivers of windows. It was definitley a valid criticism when the building was located at the far eastern tip of the pier (as seen in the third picture above). Earlier this year, the design was proposed to be relocated slightly, to the southern edge of the pier (as seen in the first rendering and model pictured above), but that brought on a different set of issues.

Also at the time, the City was in lease negotiations with the Pieces of Eight restaurant, which also shares the Pier with the project (which is not depicted in any of the images above). It was unsettled at the time whether the restaurant would continue to operate there and if the City would kick them out (they were behind on their lease payments owed to the City at the time). That conflict was eventually settled, Pieces of Eight stays put, and that also affects the configuration of Municipal Pier and the proposed Pier Wisconsin building.

I think an architetcural competition for the Pier Wisconsin project will bring forth an interesting set of designs, based on who some of the architects are (see article). A building located at such a promoinent location in the city's "front yard" must be carefully designed. I was not a fan of the original design and thought is was far from perfect, less so because it appeared to mimic certain elements of the Art Museum (white colored, mast sturcuture, cables), but because it really did obsturct lake views (the renderings above are misleading because they are all taken from viewpoints at which people would never be able to view the building) and the sloping white facades were almost entirely opaque.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2003, 1:08 PM
Wolverine Fanatic

I agreee with you CG5, it does look like a rip-off.

All this Milwaukee news is great. After visiting there this summer I'm definitely on the band wagon!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2003, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5
And btw, there's a new rendering of University Club Tower up at the site. I'll have to go take pics soon!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations