HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 12:52 AM

Paris: Notre Dame Cathedral (Before the Fire)

Notre-Dame de Paris is a medieval Catholic cathedral on the Île de la Cité in the 4th arrondissement of Paris. The cathedral was consecrated to the Virgin Mary and considered to be one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture. Its pioneering use of the rib vault and flying buttress, its enormous and colourful rose windows, as well as the naturalism and abundance of its sculptural decoration set it apart from the earlier Romanesque style. Major components that make Notre Dame stand out include one of the world's largest organs and its immense church bells. The cathedral's construction began in 1160 under Bishop Maurice de Sully and was largely complete by 1260, though it was modified frequently in the following centuries. In the 1790s, Notre-Dame suffered desecration during the French Revolution; much of its religious imagery was damaged or destroyed. In the 19th century, the cathedral was the site of the coronation of Napoleon I and the funerals of many Presidents of the French Republic. Popular interest in the cathedral blossomed soon after the publication, in 1831, of Victor Hugo's novel Notre-Dame de Paris (better known in English as The Hunchback of Notre-Dame). This led to a major restoration project between 1844 and 1864, supervised by Eugène Viollet-le-Duc. The Allied liberation of Paris in 1944 was celebrated within Notre-Dame with the singing of the Magnificat. Beginning in 1963, the cathedral's façade was cleaned of centuries of soot and grime. Another cleaning and restoration project was carried out between 1991 and 2000. The cathedral is one of the most widely recognized symbols of the city of Paris and the French nation. As the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Paris, Notre-Dame contains the cathedra of the Archbishop of Paris (Michel Aupetit). In 1805, Notre-Dame was given the honorary status of a minor basilica. Approximately 12 million people visit Notre-Dame annually, making it the most visited monument in Paris. The cathedral was renowned for its Lent sermons, founded by the Dominican Jean-Baptiste Henri Lacordaire in the 1830s. In recent years, an increasing number have been given by leading public figures and state-employed academics.

The next set shows Notre Dame as it was until the fire of April 2019:

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 12:53 AM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 12:53 AM

^^

Video:

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMArg View Post
I bet that MSM must be amazing at night. Never thought about staying there a couple of days. I'll do it when I'm back in France.
I kick myself for not doing some early morning exploring and photographing...but it was in 1989 and I wasn't much of a morning person in those days.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:14 AM

Makes me very sad to see this. I'm a LONG-since-lapsed Presbyterian and the only Catholic mass I ever attended was here. The manner in which the priest spoke French was almost songlike. Lots of silent French "e's" that weren't all that silent.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:37 AM

Indeed and I was there for one big mass back in 2013 and the mystic of the interior was thrilling.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:42 AM

Paris: Gare de Lyon

The Gare de Lyon is one of the six large mainline railway station termini in Paris, France. It handles about 90,000,000 passengers every year, making it the third busiest station of France and one of the busiest of Europe. It is the northern terminus of the Paris–Marseille railway. It is named after the city of Lyon, a stop for many long-distance trains departing here, most en route to the south of France. The station is in the XIIe arrondissement, on the north bank of the river Seine, in the east of Paris. The station is served by high-speed TGV trains to south and eastern France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy and Spain. The station also hosts regional trains and the RER and also the Gare de Lyon metro station. Main line trains depart from 32 platforms in two distinct halls: Hall 1, which is the older train shed, contains tracks labelled with letters from A to N, while the modern addition of Hall 2 contains tracks which are numbered from 5 to 23. There are a further 4 platforms for the RER underneath the main lines.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:43 AM

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:44 AM

^^

Video:

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 5:28 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

there is nothing better than a nice stroll in the lux i tell ya.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:51 PM

Indeed

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:51 PM

Paris: Avenue des Champs-Élysées

The Avenue des Champs-Élysées is known for its theatres, cafés, and luxury shops, for the annual Bastille Day military parade, and as the finish of the Tour de France cycle race. The name is French for the Elysian Fields, the paradise for dead heroes in Greek mythology. The lower part of the Champs-Élysées, from the Place de la Concorde to the Rond-Point, runs through the Jardin des Champs-Élysées, a park which contains the Grand Palais, the Petit Palais, the Théâtre Marigny, and several restaurants, gardens and monuments. The Élysée Palace—official residence of the President of the French Republic—borders the park, but is not on the Avenue itself. The Champs-Élysées ends at the Arc de Triomphe, built to honour the victories of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:52 PM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:53 PM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:56 PM

^^

Video:

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 4:18 PM

Just a random detail, for people who wouldn't know but be curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMArg View Post
This is avenue de la Grande Armée to the other side of the Arc de Triomphe. This avenue is named after Napoléon's so called "grand army" that crushed pretty much entire Europe in the 1800s indeed.
That's where EMArg found the Argentine line 1 subway station, which is quite a comfortable area. Most people have to really be better off to live there.

This view of La Défense and its Grande Arche in a distance isn't available from the Champs-Élysées proper. Again, you have to go to the other side of the older arch to get there, which is only a matter of minutes by cycling anyway.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 1:38 AM

Something to add to that, which might seem obvious: the Argentine station is one of the top tourist attractions of the city for the argentines

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 1:40 AM

Paris: Galeries Lafayette Haussman

Located in the Boulevard Haussman, just 2 blocks away from the Opéra Garnier, the Galleries Lafayette is one of the hubs for luxury stores in Paris. It's widely known for its exquisite Art Nouveau interior of colourful balconies and its central dome..

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 1:40 AM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 1:41 AM

^^

Video:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos