HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^^
23rd and Cherry project is low slung bldg project. I'm curious why it isn't taller in the range of 100-150ft. Seems like very desirable to the Riverwalk, new Giant supermarket, the trails along the Schuylkill River and 30th Street trans hub.
Zoning. It's bizarre. I did a post a few months back, but you're right, in every direction except directly south (where those new city McMansions are), there are high rises, mid rises. 4 floors, and the size of this lot, man, missed opportunity for a taller building. I guess PMC sees a lot of savings by not building vertically, so they spread out the units across the lot over 4 floors. Don't get me wrong, the design looks nice, but damn, 4 floors!

The 1823-35 Callowhill proposal, finally?!? That lot has had proposals come and go for last 5 years, hopefully Oren finally gets it done.

Morgan Lewis is still full steam ahead for the new HQs at 2222 Market. I was curious that the floor plans appear to be totally open, no individual offices at all (reviewing the CDR). I thought maybe in the covid-world that the interior design might change--and the business/corporate trend for big, open floor spaces over the last decade might come to an end. I guess not.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
^^
23rd and Cherry project is low slung bldg project. I'm curious why it isn't taller in the range of 100-150ft. Seems like very desirable to the Riverwalk, new Giant supermarket, the trails along the Schuylkill River and 30th Street trans hub.
Zoning, and the residential neighborhood there hates height and density. I'm OK with this. Build this lot and let's move on. Need to build out all of the surface lots in this area until we can concentrate on building over the rail tracks abutting JFK.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 2:20 PM

This is the best CDR docket that I've seen in a while! There are so many dense, beautifully designed projects to consider during this round. The project in Tacony immediately caught my eye! At first, I couldn't imagine there being enough demand to justify this building until I realized that there is great access to 95 and the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge at that location. This project could not only capture the interest of people working in Center City and wishing to have a new unit with parking, but also those who work in Bucks County and across the river in South Jersey. It might even appeal to those who have to work in Central and North Jersey, but that's stretching it.

The only project on the docket that I absolutely detest is the proposed storage building at 2501 N. 15th Street. While a storage facility at 15th and Cumberland may make a lot of economic sense today, it is going to look out of place in the future. I firmly believe that the area around North Philadelphia Station is poised for growth, especially if the North Station District project can get going. Even without the aforementioned project, having zoning in place that allows a storage facility to pop up near a transit hub is regressive and downright stupud.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 3:14 PM

Quote:
^^
Looks like it should be a classroom building at Drexel or Penn.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 3:31 AM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
The thread for this project is here

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Another bill would open the door to a plan by Scannapieco Development Corp. for a 20-story apartment tower on the vacant site of Morris Iron and Steel between Berks and Norris Streets
Inquirer Article

Quote:
20-story mixed-use tower in the works at the NW corner of Berks and American in Kensington.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCQ3MBBDJ5V/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post
This is mind-blowing. I had a business on American street from 2000-2005. It seemed like the kind of place that was dead forever. There was barely any crime because there weren’t any people. All I saw at night were packs of feral dogs. While waiting for the bus one night, I was once propositioned by a prostitute who offered $5 to blow me. I was so confused. Almost as confused as I am that American Street could soon have a 20-story tower.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:16 AM

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:33 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
This is mind-blowing. I had a business on American street from 2000-2005. It seemed like the kind of place that was dead forever. There was barely any crime because there weren’t any people. All I saw at night were packs of feral dogs. While waiting for the bus one night, I was once propositioned by a prostitute who offered $5 to blow me. I was so confused. Almost as confused as I am that American Street could soon have a 20-story tower.
Welcome to Philly

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 5:51 PM

Some nice aerials for some larger projects in the Philly Region:

Illadelph

DJI_0079-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr

DJI_0299-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr

DJI_0302-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr

DJI_0140-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr

KOP

DJI_0217-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr

Conshy

DJI_0150-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr

DJI_0019-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr

DJI_0013-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr

DJI_0157-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:28 PM
Philly Pholly

This bridge should be cleaned and appropriate lighting would be amazing

Philly Skyline by Michael W Murphy, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:31 PM

Great shots. The one of New College House West underscores the horror of the SuperBlock high-rises, however.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:42 PM

I have to say that view down the Schuylkill is not very complementary of the skyline. The taller towers are all clustered together which also makes the rest of the buildings look very short.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I have to say that view down the Schuylkill is not very complementary of the skyline. The taller towers are all clustered together which also makes the rest of the buildings look very short.
That's why I think the South Philly views of the skyline are the best. The Comcast towers are too dominant from north views, like the one you just explained. I love the art museum view, but I wish I could take a time machine back to the end of 1987 to see One Liberty alone from that view

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 9:22 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Well, if we are all going to put a ticket in the complaint bucket today, here's mine: I hate the fact that this POV doesn't show off Liberty 1 and 2. Even on the museum steps, you can't see L1 and L2. L1 and L2 deserves to be in the shot...LOL.

If you go back on this thread to post 1531 from Summersm, that's a pretty awesome shot that shows off the density of the city and the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 1:00 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
That's why I think the South Philly views of the skyline are the best. The Comcast towers are too dominant from north views, like the one you just explained. I love the art museum view, but I wish I could take a time machine back to the end of 1987 to see One Liberty alone from that view
The best views of the city are...

76 coming into the City.

676 coming into the city from I-95 NB

In front of the 30th st station or is it the back of it?

Coming into the city from Valley forge

and last pick

from the double decker bridge, it always give me a butterfly feeling in my stomach since I was little, give me hope that we can do great things when we work together.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
The best views of the city are...

76 coming into the City.

676 coming into the city from I-95 NB

In front of the 30th st station or is it the back of it?

Coming into the city from Valley forge

and last pick

from the double decker bridge, it always give me a butterfly feeling in my stomach since I was little, give me hope that we can do great things when we work together.
You failed to mention the Walt Whitman which is by leaps and bounds the best view.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
You failed to mention the Walt Whitman which is by leaps and bounds the best view.
I like that one too. Although the large buildings all clustered in that view as well, because the Comcast brothers are in the back, you see the other buildings. Those aerial views from the west have turned very bad-ass too in the last 15 years. Having FMC in the foreground really helps to create depth.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 2:33 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I forgot all about that view, I don't use the Walt Whitman a lot.

Another good view I just thought of is coming from N Broad towards center city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations