HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 7:51 AM

Wow, as someone who moved to philly in 2012 for college, it's astounding to me that 33 high rises have finished since 2013 and that 15 more are under construction, several of which are almost finished. That's some amazing momentum! I almost dont even realize how different things are since they're so densely packed. This makes me very excited about the next decade ahead!

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 2:01 PM

Oh wow; new thread. I miss getting to see everybody's insight; sadly the business keeps me to busy. I have to enjoy this new thread.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 7:48 PM

More existing office space gobbled up

Coworking operator Industrious plans second Philly location -- at Two Liberty Place tower

Quote:
Industrious, a shared-office operator, plans to open one of Center City’s biggest coworking spaces in the Two Liberty Place tower.

The New York-based company intends to begin operating the 55,000-square-foot space spread across two stories of the tower at 50 S. 16th St. before next spring, it said in a news release Tuesday.
Read more here:
https://www.philly.com/real-estate/c...-20190521.html

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 7:53 PM

Remember that proposal for 21st and Market? With all of this office space leaving the market, and the relatively central location, it seems like a no-brainer for Brandywine. But I'm sure they're more focused on their SY project right now.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:12 AM

JP Morgan Chase scoops up InstaMed, but the healthcare-tech company isn’t leaving Philly
https://technical.ly/philly/2019/05/...ed-healthtech/
Quote:
Financial firm J.P. Morgan Chase announced Friday it’s acquiring Philadelphia-based healthcare payment company InstaMed for a reported $500 million.

Although J.P. Morgan is New York-based, InstaMed has no intentions of abandoning its Center City office which employs nearly 200 people, VP of Strategy Deirdre Ruttle told Technical.ly.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Remember that proposal for 21st and Market? With all of this office space leaving the market, and the relatively central location, it seems like a no-brainer for Brandywine. But I'm sure they're more focused on their SY project right now.
Hopefully the increase in development at SY will let the 'gap' between 21st+Market up to PECO be filled in.

A MFL stop would also do wonders for that area's development, but not sure if that's actually feasible.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post
Hopefully the increase in development at SY will let the 'gap' between 21st+Market up to PECO be filled in.

A MFL stop would also do wonders for that area's development, but not sure if that's actually feasible.
One is planned for 20th st.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:21 AM

GUYSGUYSGUYSGUYSGUYS.

MY SECOND LEAST FAVORITE COUNCIL PERSON...JANNIE BLACKWELL...IS GOING DOWN.

Gauthier LEADS by 1500 votes with 65% of the precincts in.

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW PHILADELPHIA IS IMPROVING EVER SO SLOWLY.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:35 AM
The Doctor Is In

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
BLACKWELL...IS GOING DOWN.
Of all the upsets I was rooting for, I was not expecting this one.
Wow.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAwesome View Post
Of all the upsets I was rooting for, I was not expecting this one.
Wow.
PROGRESS.

In the end, Gauthier kicked Blackwell's *ss.

Up about 3,000 votes with all but 3 precincts reporting.

Gauthier's platform was spot on for that district...perfect candidate. Hopefully, Kenyatta and Darrell are paying attention.

On an interesting note, Matt Wolfe (President of the Logan Square Neighborhood association) came in third on the at large ballot on the Republican side. I'll probably cross over to vote for him in the general...likely making him and Al Schmidt my only Republican votes.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:46 AM

Great news. Gauthier represents the future, Blackwell is a thing of the past.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 11:18 AM
Midrise

Quote:
On an interesting note, Matt Wolfe (President of the Logan Square Neighborhood association) came in third on the at large ballot on the Republican side. I'll probably cross over to vote for him in the general...likely making him and Al Schmidt my only Republican votes.
I know Matt personally and will probably vote for him, but he is most assuredly not affiliated with the Logan Square Neighborhood Association — he resides in West Philly.

You may be thinking of LSNA president Drew Murray, but he didn't make the cut, coming in 6th yesterday.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post

It's not and it's not even on the agenda.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:00 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
One is planned for 20th st.
No, it's not.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
No, it's not.
Let me rephrase: one has been discussed for 20th.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:21 PM

Phila. health marketing agency makes Irish acquisition
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...kes-irish.html

Quote:
Philadelphia health and wellness marketing agency Evoke is reaching across the Atlantic Ocean to acquire a top global agency from Ireland.

Evoke bought Dublin-based KYNE, a specialty health communications agency providing public relations and patient advocacy services to pharmaceutical and biotech clients. Evoke acquired the agency for $17.4 million.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
GUYSGUYSGUYSGUYSGUYS.

MY SECOND LEAST FAVORITE COUNCIL PERSON...JANNIE BLACKWELL...IS GOING DOWN.

Gauthier LEADS by 1500 votes with 65% of the precincts in.

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW PHILADELPHIA IS IMPROVING EVER SO SLOWLY.
I'm proud to have been one of the people who voted for Gauthier yesterday morning. Jannie Blackwell has been running West Philly since I was growing up near 52nd and Haverford in the 2000s. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to kick her out of the 3rd District!

The next step should be to work towards kicking Kenyatta Johnson and Darrell Clarke out of their respective offices. The gap between Johnson and Vidas wasn't that far apart, and I believe that he can be gone with another election cycle and more development in his district. Also, I believe that taking the 5th from Clarke is easier than some people think. the 5th District includes CC, Fishtown, and neighborhoods that continue to change as newcomers move further into North Philly (seems like an unbelievable statement to make, even as recently as five years ago!). Plus, his district has an asset that many people overlook: the student population of Temple University. There are more students who live on and off campus than there are people who turned out to vote for Clarke. Engaging the newer residents of the district, plus holding a massive drive to register Temple students to vote in Philadelphia County, could remove him from office.

At some point, I'm going to make a second foray into Philly politics (I was going to run for Ward Committeeperson, but I was in my senior year at Temple). I believe the time is right for young, energized candidates, especially those who are natives. The only issue is that I'm 23, so I can't run for too many positions yet. I already know people and, potentially, PACs who would back me should I end up running.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm proud to have been one of the people who voted for Gauthier yesterday morning. Jannie Blackwell has been running West Philly since I was growing up near 52nd and Haverford in the 2000s. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to kick her out of the 3rd District!

The next step should be to work towards kicking Kenyatta Johnson and Darrell Clarke out of their respective offices. The gap between Johnson and Vidas wasn't that far apart, and I believe that he can be gone with another election cycle and more development in his district. Also, I believe that taking the 5th from Clarke is easier than some people think. the 5th District includes CC, Fishtown, and neighborhoods that continue to change as newcomers move further into North Philly (seems like an unbelievable statement to make, even as recently as five years ago!). Plus, his district has an asset that many people overlook: the student population of Temple University. There are more students who live on and off campus than there are people who turned out to vote for Clarke. Engaging the newer residents of the district, plus holding a massive drive to register Temple students to vote in Philadelphia County, could remove him from office.

At some point, I'm going to make a second foray into Philly politics (I was going to run for Ward Committeeperson, but I was in my senior year at Temple). I believe the time is right for young, energized candidates, especially those who are natives. The only issue is that I'm 23, so I can't run for too many positions yet. I already know people and, potentially, PACs who would back me should I end up running.
Agree. Now we need some Gauthier-type candidates to challenge Clarke and Johnson in the next cycle. In my opinion, they are the most problematic council members remaining. Certainly among the most anti-development, except perhaps when it's their personal friends bidding for a contract or jockeying for a landbank property. Great to see new blood. Good luck!

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Agree. Now we need some Gauthier-type candidates to challenge Clarke and Johnson in the next cycle. In my opinion, they are the most problematic council members remaining. Certainly among the most anti-development, except perhaps when it's their personal friends bidding for a contract or jockeying for a landbank property. Great to see new blood. Good luck!
It's great that Blackwell, one of the two oldest council members, is now gone. The future belongs to the young. Gauthier will do great things for West Philly, and it would be great to see some young blood challenge Clarke next election.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:52 PM

I think Blackwell being ousted speaks to the rapid Gentrification of West Philly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations