HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:46 AM

These will be my last updates for the foreseeable future, as I'll no longer be working in Oakland.

1700 Webster

1100 Broadway

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:02 PM
Metal Up Your !

The colors and design on that podium, ugh. Soulless.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
That project is at the Oakland Collosium site which already has BART access. You might be thinking of Brooklyn Basin which is near the proposed Ballpark and already under construction.
I have not heard any major updates regarding the Coliseum project, except for the fact that it is still probably the most viable option.

Quote:
BART’s “no go” follows the “no go” by the Peralta Community College District Board of Trustees, which rejected the idea of even talking with the A’s about their preferred ballpark site next to Laney College.

Kaval said the third option of rebuilding at the Coliseum is now “probably the front-runner” in terms of getting a ballpark built quickly. But he said its location — five miles from downtown — is still a problem.

“We have seen across baseball that the most successful urban ballparks are downtown,” he said.

In regard to Howard Terminal, Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred recently offered some positive feedback on its potential, though acknowledged some of its issues would have to be addressed. More from SFGate:

“Jack London Square is a positive,” Manfred said. “The proximity to downtown generally is a positive. I think anytime you have the opportunity to build a ballpark proximate to the water, it can be a big positive.
Via https://ballparkdigest.com/2018/02/2...land-ballpark/

I still think that the Howard Terminal site, while perhaps not the most viable option, would be the most successful. Frankly when going to AT&T, i prefer walking from Powell St to the stadium versus taking MUNI. But thats me.

Apparently the A's will be meeting with the Port of Oakland 3/22. So HT doesn't sound completely ruled out yet. It certainly would stimulate the decades of development occurring in Jack London Square that has been of mediocre success.

I still like the idea that has swirled around in recent years of returning a light rail system back to Oakland's major corridors. There has been talk of trains running from MacArthur Bart to Jack London Square. It would be a massive undertaking. But look at what light rail did for the Pearl district in Portland? The other option might be some sort of BRT, which "bus only" lanes seem to be circulating in the Downtown Oakland Specific Plan.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:28 AM

BART seeks tower developer at Oakland's Lake Merritt station

Quote:
BART is looking for a developer to build an office and residential tower project atop its Lake Merritt station in Oakland.

The transit agency is seeking partners for a "mixed-use, mixed-income, high rise development" on two blocks totaling 2.8 acres. They include a BART-owned parking lot at 98 8th St. and Metro Center office building at 101 8th St.

BART wants a mix of commercial and residential in a "catalyst project that creates an active neighborhood hub," which it hopes will boost BART ridership and reduce car emissions. It would increase the density of the mostly mid-rise neighborhood and is consistent with BART's 2016 transit-oriented development strategy for its entire system.

Development has been envisioned on the sites for over a decade and a request for proposals was previously planned in 2015. BART must now balance supporting a project that's financially viable with desire for public benefits.

The parcels have height limits of 275 feet. BART wants at least 20 percent on-site affordable housing, affordable commercial spaces for nonprofits, project labor agreements and impact fees. BART said the affordable housing portion could be in a six-to-eight story building, but the rest of the project should be highrise to maximize density.

Around 100 public parking spaces currently exist on the sites for BART customers and aren't expected to be replaced.

...A coalition of Chinatown community groups want a higher affordable housing amount of 35 percent, with "at least 200 affordable housing units." The groups, which have previously appealed other market-rate housing projects in the area, also want control of 120,000 square feet of community and nonprofit space and a $1 million contribution to Madison Park as part of any project.

The urban planning think tank SPUR called on BART to focus on active uses along the streets and for any developer to hire an urban designer, and to minimize parking on the site.

BART is holding an informational conference on the project on Thursday. The deadline for developer responses is April 16, and BART plans to release its short list the week of May 14. The BART Board plans to pick a developer by August.

A project will require approval from the Oakland City Council and BART Board of Directors, which plans to lease the land to a developer.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...d-housing.html

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:35 AM

Oakland's largest landlord to break ground on 288 apartments
Seem's like they plan to complete in the next two years. A little disappointed they didn't want to go taller with this one (which is right in the city center). Maybe they'll put something with more height on the rest of the lot.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...velopment.html

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Speaking of proposed towers to rise in Oakland, the detailed plans for a 27-story “creative office building,” with an oxidized metal frame, trim and finishes, to rise up to 465 feet in height upon the entire Uptown block bounded by West Grand, Telegraph, 22nd and Valley will be presented to the city’s Design Review Committee on Wednesday in an early review, “to get feedback as soon as possible.”
More here: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ow-street.html

Credit via SocketSite

Take away the parking podium. and just fine in my mind. SCB is making a major advance on development in this area. 1640 Broadway, while fantastic to see the construction as it stands...Starting to mature into the base of a 33 story building, it kills me to see that a 3 story parking podium is being built right on top of BART! With traffic converging between Broadway and Telegraph only a block away, and 17th being a straight, and narrow street, it will be a circulation nightmare.

With Grand and Telegraph also being a major intersection, with ample access to public transportation, I hope they find a more dynamic use for the space dedicated to parking.

But yet, this may be another contender to break Oaklands tallest. I wish that there would be the ambition of SOM's Encinal Tower at 700+ ft to brake Oakland's future 'tabletop skyline'.

Personally, i hope there is a reattempt for SOM in the future of Oakland. Cross brace designs, a style which they are signature for, always are very elegant.... Still think their design proposal for the Transbay Tower in SF did sommersalts over the others. All for this tower being built though

Last edited by MayorQuinbee; Mar 29, 2018 at 2:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:48 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Parking podium aside, that is a great design.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:04 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorQuinbee View Post
Personally, i hope there is a reattempt for SOM in the future of Oakland. Cross brace designs, a style which they are signature for, always are very elegant.... Still think their design proposal for the Transbay Tower in SF did sommersalts over the others. All for this tower being built though
Indeed. As solid as Salesforce Tower is, the SOM design absolutely crushed it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 8:58 PM

Looks like Alta Waverly's (2302 Valdez) reconstruction is starting up. They got a new tower crane and there are some building materials on site. Looking forward to seeing it actually 100% completed

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Looks like Alta Waverly's (2302 Valdez) reconstruction is starting up. They got a new tower crane and there are some building materials on site. Looking forward to seeing it actually 100% completed
Great to hear. Was by there about a month ago wondering. I figured they would have knocked things down by now if they were not able to salvage the foundation.

Last edited by MayorQuinbee; Apr 6, 2018 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 9:40 PM

250 Alice is starting to get some skin

Cladding going up on the podium of 1640 Broadway

And in other news, 1700 Webster has topped out. 1721 Webster is undergoing some serious excavation work. 601 City Center's frame is now about 6 stories tall and growing.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 9:45 PM

Thanks for the pictures, MayorQuinbee.

Also, thanks to Sergio Ruiz on Flickr, we can see that glass installation has begun at 449 17th @ Broadway as well:

Broadway and 17th, Oakland
by Sergio Ruiz, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Great to hear. Was by there about a month ago wondering. I figured they would have knocked things down by now if they were not able to salvage the foundation.
Well, they had everything removed/cleaned up by September and they were able to reuse the concrete structure. I guess since September or so they have just been going through preconstruction activities all over again, and acquiring materials, another crane, etc.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
it kills me to see that a 3 story parking podium is being built right on top of BART! With traffic converging between Broadway and Telegraph only a block away, and 17th being a straight, and narrow street, it will be a circulation nightmare.
Perhaps the fact it's "right on top of BART" is WHY is has a parking podium rather than an underground garage. There is a need for parking of some sort in high end residential buildings no matter what the car haters say and it's not necessarily for trips around town. For years I had a car in San Francisco almost exclusively for trips OUT of town--to the mountains, up and down the coast, wine country etc. There's just no doubt that not having to compete for parking on the street is a major attraction to any building for a lot of potential residents, even if they intend to take transit for most local trips.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Perhaps the fact it's "right on top of BART" is WHY is has a parking podium rather than an underground garage. There is a need for parking of some sort in high end residential buildings no matter what the car haters say and it's not necessarily for trips around town. For years I had a car in San Francisco almost exclusively for trips OUT of town--to the mountains, up and down the coast, wine country etc. There's just no doubt that not having to compete for parking on the street is a major attraction to any building for a lot of potential residents, even if they intend to take transit for most local trips.
Valid point. I tend to get opposed to podiums as I feel they are more poorly planned in terms of the overall effect of the building, and simply an after thought to how it works overall for pedestrians.

With Oakland suffering a lot of wounds from a lot of previous renewal efforts being fairly car centric, I am skeptical of that being included in density that will presently be in the near future.

At the same time, this history has been built into Oaklands culture, and cars will be a factor. And as you point out, with some degree, SF has that built into it as well.

Forgive my zealousness on the issue. I am only skeptical of how well they are planned, and a tendency for a lack of offering something to the greater community.
I see the parking podiums currently going into high rises being not much different that those that make DTLA somewhat isolating, if not, amputated to say the least. But parking serves a place.

Regardless, appreciate your point as a change of perspective. And yes, a trip out of town as your main use of a car is nice if you are not constantly having to move your car. And sadly enough to say, I see enough broken window glass on my walk to BART that I can't blame wanting a car in a more secure place.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
These will be my last updates for the foreseeable future, as I'll no longer be working in Oakland.

1700 Webster

1100 Broadway
new job?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:14 AM

From Roland Li's Twitter:

Quote:
Construction will start next month on a $265 million tower next to MacArthur BART station, the tallest in North Oakland: http://bizj.us/1pkegx Developer @BXPSF is one of the biggest landlords in the country (owns 95% of @SalesforceTower) and won't use any debt.
https://twitter.com/rolandlisf/statu...28906347130881

Source

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:25 AM
A Man In Dandism

Not the most aesthetically pleasing tower, but we need the housing! Build it already!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:00 PM

Great news! Are there renderings of this tower?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Great news! Are there renderings of this tower?
^think its above if that's what your referring to....

and with 1977 on both points.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations