HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:47 AM

And speaking of steel going up...

Pittsburgh Audi (11/30/2017)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:50 AM

AND at Oxford's Three Crossings as well. (Riverfront West - 11/30/2017)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:53 AM

Lastly, they dug up the "sidewalk" on Smallman at the old Spaghetti Warehouse building as part of the reno. Thank god. Hopefully, they'll be making this stretch more cohesive for pedestrians.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
4. Buncher is formally proposing the planned Waterfront Place Townhomes - 46 units of attached housing to be placed on a thin strip of land between the back side of the Terminal Building and the larger-scale buildings (including Riverfront Landing - the apartment building already under construction) closer to the river. This project is being done by my wife's firm, and I had no clue it was them (I sometimes see renderings of projects not yet publicly discussed, but she's asked me not to blab, so I don't). I think the design is a nice mix of new traditional and contemporary (it tries to call to existing form without trying to be fake historic buildings). I still feel like it's a bit too small scale for the site, however, and the lack of any private green space at all is just bad design for a townhouse (the back garages front on a driveway, and then a tiny sliver of grass and trees is the only thing which blocks it from the Produce Terminal lot. Some sort of skinny apartment building would have been preferable, even if the structured parking would have been problematic.
The project does seem to be squeezed into the site. And does it bother anyone that the sides and back are siding? This will be the façade facing the Produce Terminal and although its just the Produce Terminal's parking lot, it is another public face.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricktrimble View Post
The project does seem to be squeezed into the site. And does it bother anyone that the sides and back are siding? This will be the façade facing the Produce Terminal and although its just the Produce Terminal's parking lot, it is another public face.
Yeah, the overall design is pretty nice, but it is a shame about the siding.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 8:41 AM

So the deck-park looks fine to me, but I am very curious about the parcel left out. I thought that had been incorporated in previous iterations.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:08 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201712010105

Quote:
Sources: Target eyeing sites in Golden Triangle

By Mark Belko

Target appears to be in the hunt for a possible Downtown location.

The discount retail chain has been scouting potential sites in the Golden Triangle, according to local real estate sources.

Among the locations Target has looked at is the former Macy’s/Kaufmann’s department store, where Philadelphia developer Core Realty is planning 120,000 square feet of retail space as part of a remake that includes 311 apartments and a 160-room hotel.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:11 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Whoa, that would be yuge news for downtown if that happens. I would go there all the time, downtown is way closer than going through all the disastrous traffic to get to East Liberty from Oakland.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricktrimble View Post
To be fair, the sides which face the future public rights of way are brick clad on the first and second stories.

IIRC, no concrete plans for the Produce Terminal have ever been presented, so we don't really know if that rear parking lot is going to be maintained in its current form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
So the deck-park looks fine to me, but I am very curious about the parcel left out. I thought that had been incorporated in previous iterations.
My educated guess is this zone is going to be where the smaller-scale building which was shown in earlier renderings ends up being located (although it has switched corners). That area is at grade and won't really be part of the deck, so there's no reason it can't be constructed on.

Unfortunately, looking at the site rendering, it's clear whatever is built there will effectively have its "back" turned to the deck park, with the perimeter bounded by trees, and in one area a wall. It's not the biggest loss in the world, but it will arguably hurt the design of the ultimate structure.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:27 PM

Either the former Kaufmann's or the former Frank & Seder seem like pretty solid options for a small-format Target, probably on two levels.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:33 PM

ALMONO has issued a RFQ for a 2-acre public plaza that will be next to Mill 19. Apparently we will also finally get to see the Perkins+Will master plan in January:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...ght-get-right/

Quote:
Architecture firm Perkins+Will is developing a master plan for the property with ReMake Group and Civic Design & Planning. They’ll submit the plan to city officials for approvals in January, along with an updated traffic impact study and text revisions for specially-planned zoning.

The plaza is the first of several public areas on the property. Also planned are a 1.2-mile-long riverfront park and trail, mobility rights-of-way, ecological areas, and active and non-active public spaces, according to the RFQ.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:37 PM

Article on the condos going in at 2700 Murray:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...squirrel-hill/

The clean, understated exterior is one of my recent favorites (the interior shots are generic modern):

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:24 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
That looks reallly nice, surprising that an actual decent design is proposed for once, and that god it doesn't have the power floor in brick and the top floors for no reason in random shapes and tin siding like most of the other new crap going up in the city.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Either the former Kaufmann's or the former Frank & Seder seem like pretty solid options for a small-format Target, probably on two levels.
Good call. Those seem like prime spots to me for an "urban Target", considering the available space, central downtown location (very close to Point Park U, a number of rehab/new residential projects, Market Square), and talked-about plans to remake Smithfield into a retail corridor.

Quote:

The clean, understated exterior is one of my recent favorites (the interior shots are generic modern):

These look to be one of the better, higher-quality designs for Pittsburgh area new residential construction I've seen. Being back in the area for the first time in years, it's exciting to see all of the new apartment/condo buildings, but it's also somewhat disappointing (but not surprising) to see that they are pretty much all following that 3-6 story wood-framed, often multi-colored aluminum/vinyl/composite blocky upper floor design seen in just about every city these days. This Squirrel Hill proposal stands out for its modern, brick simplicity. Reminds me of the red brick condos on Forbes in Squirrel Hill next to Temple Sinai.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:52 PM

Another NEXTpittsburgh article about another new development, though this one is a renovation project rather than new construction.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:02 PM
World Class City

Quote:

Interesting...I applaud their breaking away from the typical residential products we are seeing built around the country but something is off. It seems akward...the proportions / fenestrations with the roof line maybe? Too much brick without breaking up contrasting materials? Im sure finished product will change my mind and overall i'm thrilled to see something happening there.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Scotty View Post
Another NEXTpittsburgh article about another new development, though this one is a renovation project rather than new construction.

Interesting. I wish the view was from the other side. It looks like they're going to be keeping the "Cruze extension" of the building, but knocking down the two-story structure next to it and putting in something which matches the floor plates. I'm guessing it will be the facade of the attached garage, because I can't see anywhere else they could put it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
Interesting...I applaud their breaking away from the typical residential products we are seeing built around the country but something is off. It seems akward...the proportions / fenestrations with the roof line maybe? Too much brick without breaking up contrasting materials? Im sure finished product will change my mind and overall i'm thrilled to see something happening there.
Yeah, by not using contrasting material, the flat facade facing Murray Avenue is much more evident. I'm not sure the semi-irregular fenestration works for me either - something more classic and orderly might align better with the materials.

I do give them kudos for doing something different however.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Interesting. I wish the view was from the other side. It looks like they're going to be keeping the "Cruze extension" of the building, but knocking down the two-story structure next to it and putting in something which matches the floor plates. I'm guessing it will be the facade of the attached garage, because I can't see anywhere else they could put it.
Yeah, from the larger picture and floorplans on their website, seems to be exactly what they're doing.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Whoa, that would be yuge news for downtown if that happens. I would go there all the time, downtown is way closer than going through all the disastrous traffic to get to East Liberty from Oakland.
I didn't think of this at first that it would be easier to get to Downtown than Oakland from East Liberty, but I actually can see it. This would do well not only with Downtown workers, but with students at all of the nearby schools and also people in nearby neighborhoods like the South Side, Hill District, and North Side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations