HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 2:42 PM

7/16 ZBA agenda is up. There is not much to note for that week, with most of the projects minor things like new sign permits, dumpsters, or generators. As is now the case, you can go to City Planning and see a short PDF linked with each project if you so desire.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 2:47 PM

Smallman Galley to move into new Bakery Square expansion.

Happy to see this since it will make Bakery Square a much better option for dining... and since the layout of the Strip District building completely sucked... and since I live nearby.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:43 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

A couple of the buildings at the old Heinz HQ are gutted and listed for sale on LoopNet advertised to be 80 apartments.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1075...h-PA/18243286/

Quote:
Owner needs to divest immediately to begin construction on adjacent building due to federal historic tax credit rules.

Waterfront site next to potential new mega development at former Riverbend Foods site.
Interesting notes:
1. 80 new apartments along the Northside riverfront trail
2. Renovation of other Heinz building using historic tax credits
3. They are recognizing Schwiezer Loch (SP?) as a potential mega development

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:56 PM

So Wilkinsburg historically had a LOT of churches, many of which today have fallen into disuse.

But this huge church complex, formerly the Mulberry Second Presbyterian Church, is apparently on track to be renovated as a community center, per this sidebar in the local paper:

Quote:
Plans continue for the Sacred Spaces III Tour to be held Saturday, September 26. One of the featured structures will be the former Mulberry Presbyterian Church, now under conservatorship of Center for Civic Arts (CCA). The Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation awarded the Mulberry Presbyterian Church a Historic Landmark designation in 2002, describing the church as a “remarkable piece of architecture, engineering, construction, landscape design and planning that imparts a rich sense of history.” But by December 2006, the Mulberry Church became one of many sacred spaces nationally to be impacted by changing demographics that decrease church memberships, causing churches to close their doors. CCA is stepping forward with the help of many community members to transform the once sacred space as a civic space. CCA’s vision is to preserve one of Wilkinsburg’s key historic assets as a space that fosters quality of life and social cohesion through the arts, and economic revitalization through vocational education.
I am sure it is a massive undertaking, but hopefully they can pull it off. I note this is about three blocks away from the railroad station under renovation, more or less on the periphery of the business district, so has a pretty good location.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 2:52 AM

7/23 ZBA is now online. There are three projects of some interest for the week:

1. Conversion of 200 Amber Street in East Liberty (the Angelus Convalescent Center) into multi-unit residential. This appears to be a Rothschild-Doyno project. It looks like the desired unit count is 33. The existing building is nothing to write home about, but these sort of mid-sized apartment projects in East Liberty should help with area affordability, as even if this is a market-rate development it should be substantively cheaper than the entirely new builds in the area.

2. An infill house at 157 36th Street. This fills in a notable gap at the corner of Smallman. It's clearly a Desmone project. There are some very crude renderings - so crude that there's not even any window openings shown (though oddly the porch is shown- it's cut out of the main mass of the building rather than a front extension).

3. Rehab of an existing empty building in Homewood into a 15-unit apartment. This is a handsome building, and it will be great to see it restored to some of its former glory.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 12:53 PM

McCaffrey has purchased the block immediately upriver from the Terminal Building. This block - the former site of Benkovitz Seafoods - was the site of a failed attempt at development by Rugby Realty the other year (it actually was thought to be a live project until Rugby announced it sold to McCaffrey). It sounds like McCaffrey has no immediate plans beyond interim surface parking, which honestly makes sense given the current economic uncertainty.

Last edited by eschaton; Jul 6, 2020 at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 6:06 PM

Looks like the historical Garrison Foundry-Mackintosh Hemphill Company Offices at 901 Bingham st in South Side were bought by Riva Ridge Real Estate.

County Site

Can't find any indication of the purpose of the property other than the one smaller building will be their office.

They posted the following on their Facebook of their current work. The flow must be wavy for those 2x4s are def out of whack

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15203 View Post
Looks like the historical Garrison Foundry-Mackintosh Hemphill Company Offices at 901 Bingham st in South Side were bought by Riva Ridge Real Estate.

County Site

Can't find any indication of the purpose of the property other than the one smaller building will be their office.

They posted the following on their Facebook of their current work. The flow must be wavy for those 2x4s are def out of whack

This was just covered in the July HRC presentation. It's a condo development. Not sure about the ultimate unit count.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15203 View Post

County Site

The new lumber in those photos seems to be temporary bracing to stabilize the roof trusses.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 12:28 PM

A new virtual planning commission is up for next week. Three new items, although two of them have gotten some coverage in local press before.

1. The plans for CMU's new Scaife Hall. This is a new five-story, 120,000 square foot building on the core of CMU's campus, which will entirely replace the existing, much smaller Scaife Hall. I have to say I find the overall design of the building totally uninspiring - possibly due to to the combination of the typical bland CMU color scheme of beige and silver, and the generic overall composition. Together it makes the building instantly look dated, and be particularly unimpressive in the views directly across the Neville Street chasm, where it's highly visible. I actually like the hardscaped plaza on the campus side however.

2. A 49-unit condo development on the 2600 block of Penn Avenue in the Strip District. This is the Indovina project on the block with Savoy where the highrise was proposed years ago. The design is very nice, as is typical with Indovina. I notice there's a small retail component on the first floor, which I didn't see before. I like the small "clubhouse" which is put in the rear of the development. The one aspect I don't like is the entire thing is on a parking podium, which means the "backyard" of the condo development is actually one story off the ground, but I understand zoning (and the market) probably require enough parking some sort of podium is needed, and at least they're putting something nice on top of it.

3. An institutional master plan for West Penn Hospital. They have big plans for the blocks immediately to the east of the hospital, which they have been slowly acquiring (although there are two holdout houses still), including 350,000 square feet of new medical office buildings, 6,000 square feet of additional physical plant and 700 additional structured parking spaces. In addition, they plan to add two additional expansions to the core hospital, one directly on Liberty (additional floors above this wing, or maybe a total replacement?) and a new wing within the central courtyard.

EDIT: Next Pittsburgh has more on West Penn's master plan.

Last edited by eschaton; Jul 8, 2020 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 3:49 PM

Roundup of recent Pittsburgh-related articles on development.

1. There is a proposal to install a zipline from Duquesne Heights to the North Shore.

2. The ShurSave IGA is going to close in Bloomfield. The site is now owned by Echo Realty - the property development division of Giant Eagle. They plan to operate the site in the short term under the Community market banner, but are working on a long-term redevelopment plan for the location.

3. Oxford has decided to sell the land under the first phase of Three Crossings to a Texas-based firm for $82 million. They will still operate Three Crossings, with a 90-year ground lease on the site. This exchange gives them access to a massive cash infusion which they can pile into new projects. They do not need to spend any of this on the next phase of Three Crossings, which is 100% financed, so it will be interesting to see what is done with the windfall.

4. Q Development has finished the restoration of the historic Masonic Hall Lofts in Homestead. This was a $4 million project which resulted in a 20-unit building. The apartments are market rate, but fairly affordable (average of $1,300 per month). Apparently this is the first market-rate multifamily rehab in Homestead for decades.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:04 PM

Scaife Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A new virtual planning commission is up for next week. Three new items, although two of them have gotten some coverage in local press before.

1. The plans for CMU's new Scaife Hall. This is a new five-story, 120,000 square foot building on the core of CMU's campus, which will entirely replace the existing, much smaller Scaife Hall. I have to say I find the overall design of the building totally uninspiring - possibly due to to the combination of the typical bland CMU color scheme of beige and silver, and the generic overall composition. Together it makes the building instantly look dated, and be particularly unimpressive in the views directly across the Neville Street chasm, where it's highly visible. I actually like the hardscaped plaza on the campus side however.
Agreed. This design is a disappointment. While the building does not involve beige or yellow brick----the dark brown brick that clads the two-story, mostly underground podium seems bold for CMU---the multiple shades of metal sheeting seem sterile.

The university picked a respected Philly firm, Kieran Timberlake, but still managed to get an unexciting design.

https://kierantimberlake.com/

Among the plusses, the massing isn't bad---the building is twice the square footage of the existing Scaife Hall but the new building doesn't seem huge.
And there seems to be a lot more open space. I like the plaza as well, particularly how the new building nearly abuts Porter Hall to close in the eastern end of the open space.

With luck, the facade can be improved upon suggestion of the planning commission.

Last edited by DKNewYork; Jul 8, 2020 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:22 PM
Ex Houstonian

If they wanted to make an homage to horribly ugly 1960s architecture than they did it perfectly...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:22 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Yeah, i'm wondering why they went with such a bland design; Most of the other newly constructed buildings at CMU in the last 5-8 years were pretty good.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:52 PM

I guess this is Kieran Timberlake's "College of Engineering" design.

It appears quite similar in design to a building that the firm produced for Brown University Engineering Research Center:

Carnegie Mellon Scaife Hall:

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
2. A 49-unit condo development on the 2600 block of Penn Avenue in the Strip District. This is the Indovina project on the block with Savoy where the highrise was proposed years ago. The design is very nice, as is typical with Indovina. I notice there's a small retail component on the first floor, which I didn't see before. I like the small "clubhouse" which is put in the rear of the development. The one aspect I don't like is the entire thing is on a parking podium, which means the "backyard" of the condo development is actually one story off the ground, but I understand zoning (and the market) probably require enough parking some sort of podium is needed, and at least they're putting something nice on top of it.
Since Mulberry Way is a rather unpleasant alley, I do not much mind the back side.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
This design is a disappointment. While the building does not involve beige or yellow brick----the dark brown brick that clads the two-story, mostly underground podium seems bold for CMU---the multiple shades of metal sheeting seem sterile.
It looks like they are installing an AC unit for the whole campus.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:28 PM
JDescutner

Trek Development approved for remaining projects at Garden Theater block on the North

The Planning Commission approved yesterday the proposed apartment building at the corner of W. North Ave. and Federal St.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...k-project.html

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDescutner View Post
The Planning Commission approved yesterday the proposed apartment building at the corner of W. North Ave. and Federal St.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...k-project.html
Does anyone know if this makes it final, final - FINAL? Are there any more hurdles that need to be cleared or steps at which the one guy can come in and challenge and potentially delay it, again?

I'm not familiar enough with the sequence of approvals to know if we can breathe a sigh of relief. I walk by there just about every day and am eager to see that corner filled.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:44 PM

^^ Saw they also rejected the Troiani Group's latest appeal for their "Development for the Greater Good" ... (Are they serious with that crap on their website, given their track record of knocking down buildings for parking?)... demolition of the Market Street block downtown.

Is it the Troiani Group or is it now Troiani Development? Do they even know what they call themselves? Whatever it is, they clearly don't have their shit together, otherwise they wouldn't have gone back to the planning commission with nothing new to show (i.e., no actual development plan).

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202007140143

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations