HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:04 AM

The Midland - Consumer Affairs is relocating (or at least moving some of its employees) and expanding into this building. They currently occupy three floors of another office building downtown. The Midland is located on 4th street between Greenwood and Kenosha. It was part of the Nordam site, which used to be downtown.

Pics from TulsaNow Forum

The Cosmopolitan - Here are some updated pictures of the Cosmopolitan apartments located at Riverside Drive and S Denver Avenue. It's nearly finished. These were posted on the TulsaNow forum by SXSW. I wish they were larger pics.

Random Rehabs - There are older buildings like these all over Midtown that are currently being renovated.

Former Corner Cafe building. I believe this is going to be a restaurant and maybe a bar. Can't remember off the top of my head.

This used to be a beauty supply store. It's being renovated into 7 store fronts.

Building on the corner of 6th and Peoria. I think they're done, but I am not sure who the tenant is.

Bruce G Weber jewelry store on Cherry Street. This used to be a La Madeleine restaurant.

This is part of a larger development that will add residential and another restaurant. This is the rendering. They have been working on the residential part for months and months. It just this week starting going vertical.

Mixed use building rehab on Cherry Street. It houses The Nest and a couple of other businesses. The Nest was located next to the La Madeleine restaurant and was demolished to make room for the mixed use Bruce G Weber development.

DGX - This is an urban Dollar General store, which opened at 6th and Boston downtown last month. It is one of only a few around the country at this point. It provides grab and go food, some fresh foods plus other things that you can get at dollar stores.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Enthusiast View Post
I know the population of Tulsa is quite stagnant, but there is more momentum and optimism in the city now than in the past couple of decades, at least from my perspective. We're not booming, just moving along slow and steady.

Personally, I do like Mayor Bynum more than former Mayor Bartlett. He's young and really motivated. He's also big into using data to inform decisions.
Good news about the new mayor.

I think the state could do four things that could help Tulsa.

1. State powered nuclear power plants by Catoosa.

2. Remove tolls on I-44.

3. Passenger Rail service from OKC to St. Louis(requires partnership with Missouri.

4. US-75 interstate standards throughout the entire state though the most important segment is between Tulsa and Dallas. Work with TxDOT and AASHTO to get I-45 designation from Dallas to Tulsa.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Good news about the new mayor.

I think the state could do four things that could help Tulsa.

1. State powered nuclear power plants by Catoosa.

2. Remove tolls on I-44.

3. Passenger Rail service from OKC to St. Louis(requires partnership with Missouri.

4. US-75 interstate standards throughout the entire state though the most important segment is between Tulsa and Dallas. Work with TxDOT and AASHTO to get I-45 designation from Dallas to Tulsa.

Interesting thought about a nuclear power plant near Catoosa. There was actually an attempt by Public Service Company of Oklahoma (PSO) to construct one near Inola, which is close to Catoosa, back in the 1970s. It was named Black Fox. After many years of court battles spearheaded by a grassroots effort, the plan was cancelled. The land where it was supposed to be build is currently being marketed for industrial development. In fact, Sofidel, an Italian tissue manufacturer is nearly finished constructing a 1.8 million square foot facility there (Tulsa World article).

Sofidel plant in Inola.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Tornado Tower | 20-30 Stories | Proposed

New iconic tower for downtown Tulsa to be built next to the BOK Center.

Did this ever get built?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:39 AM

^ No it did not. It was only a proposal and it never really caught on with anyone. It would be a cool looking building, though.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 1:38 AM

Discovery Lab - The children's museum, which is part of phase II of the Gathering Place, broke ground last week. Here's a news article from the Tulsa World.

Here are some renderings from TulsaNow forum.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 9:23 PM

American Airlines to Invest $550 million in Tulsa Maintenance Base -

Quote:
American Airlines announced Friday it will pour $550 million over seven years into its base maintenance facility, Tech Ops-Tulsa, making it the largest single capital investment in city history.

Centerpieces of the project will be a new widebody-capable hangar and base support building. The money also is for improvements to the existing infrastructure, including roof replacements, utility and IT upgrades and ramp repairs.

"The base is approaching its 75th year of operations under the American umbrella, and it's most certainly in desperate need of an infrastructure improvement. ... We have literally been taping the facility together and doing the best we could while we studied the way to do this and a path forward," Erik Olund, American's managing director of base maintenance, said by phone.

The revamp will touch every cranny of the facility's 3.3 million square feet of hangar and shop space, Olund said.

"By doing all of this, we extend the life of the base as a whole for the foreseeable future, whether it's 20 or 30 years," Craig Barton, vice president of technical operations, said by phone. "We were at the risk of getting to the point where some facilities may need to be shuttered or pulled back if we didn't make this kind of investment."

Home to more than 5,500 workers, 600 of whom were added in 2019, the base conducts close to half of the overall maintenance work for its nearly 1,000 mainline aircraft. Friday's financial commitment is the biggest made to a maintenance location since the airline's inception.

"The American team in Tulsa and around the world is the best in the business when it comes to operating the safest and most reliable fleet of commercial aircraft," American’s Chairman and CEO Doug Parker said in a statement. "Tulsa has been core to American’s operation for more than 70 years, and this investment in the base, along with the new positions we added at Tech Ops-Tulsa in 2019, will ensure our customers can continue to rely on our fleet as the safest and most reliable for decades to come."

The new 193,000-square-foot hangar will accommodate two wide-body aircraft — or up to six narrow-body aircraft — and will replace two existing hangars no longer equipped to fully hold American’s current aircraft. The 132,000-square-foot base support building will include administrative offices for teams in aircraft overhaul, engineering and others.

More than 900 aircraft visit the Tulsa base annually.

"With this historic investment, American Airlines continues to display their commitment to Oklahoma," Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt said in a statement. "As one of the largest employers in our state, American Airlines plays an integral role in our economy and provides quality jobs for our citizens. I am proud that Oklahoma is one of the top states in the nation for the aviation and aerospace industry, and I am honored to have American Airlines choose Oklahoma, once again, to grow their business."

The base improvements are scheduled to take roughly seven years to complete. Construction on the new hangar and base support building is expected to begin early next year and last about 18 months.

Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum called it "the largest single capital investment in our city’s history. As a city, we are grateful that one of the largest employers in our community is a true partner with the kind of foresight that will create more opportunity in the next era of the aerospace sector."

Mike Neal is president and CEO of the Tulsa Regional Chamber.

"If there were any doubts about American's long-term commitment to Tulsa, this transformative investment should put them to rest once and for all," he said in a statement.
https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/...mpression=true

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Interesting thought about a nuclear power plant near Catoosa. There was actually an attempt by Public Service Company of Oklahoma (PSO) to construct one near Inola, which is close to Catoosa, back in the 1970s. It was named Black Fox. After many years of court battles spearheaded by a grassroots effort, the plan was cancelled. The land where it was supposed to be build is currently being marketed for industrial development. In fact, Sofidel, an Italian tissue manufacturer is nearly finished constructing a 1.8 million square foot facility there (Tulsa World article).

Sofidel plant in Inola.
Thank you for that information. I had heard a couple times about a nuke plant in eastern Oklahoma but never any details on it. Good stuff.

If one is built(a giant if), it could be a big boon if TU would install a reactor similar to MIT in Boston and introduce a nuclear engineering degree. I bet that would thrust TU into a new tier of college rankings as many colleges with such programs are very hard to get into. I have and am looking at MIT's programs.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 1:19 AM

Here are a couple of updated pictures of the progress on the Davenport Lofts and 111 Greenwood.

Davenport Lofts. I believe it has topped out.

111 Greenwood (photo courtesy of shavethewhales from the TulsaNow forum)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 1:41 AM
クラブトクヨ

Nice updates Tulsa!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 1:16 AM

Greenwood Rising History Center - This is going to be located on Greenwood Avenue just north of I-244, adjacent to downtown.

Quote:
The Greenwood Rising History Center building is expected to be completed in time for the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre centennial commemoration next May. . . The history center is one of three major projects planned in the Greenwood District to commemorate the centennial of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre. - Tulsa World
Here are some pictures of the development from Selser Schaefer Architects

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 2:00 AM

Noria Corporation Inc Headquarters -

Quote:
Noria Corporation Inc., which provides machinery lubrication consulting services and training, will relocate from Brookside to Pearl Ridge South, a four-story, mixed-use structure to be erected at the northeast corner of East 10th Street and Peoria Avenue. . . Construction of phase one is scheduled to take 18 months and targeted for completion in the first quarter of 2022, Darden said. . . Phase II could still be four to five years off, unless we have really excited leasing opportunities and we decide to move forward quicker. Tulsa World
Rendering (from SXSW on TulsaNow forum)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 10:19 PM

Here is a picture of the former Otasco site under development at 2nd and Cincinnati, which is across Cincinnati from City Hall and 2nd Street from the PAC lot, that will hopefully be redeveloping in the future into hotel/apartments/grocery store. Not sure if there are any tenants lined out yet for the Otasco site, but I believe coffee shop and restaurant are on tap.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 10:23 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Greenwood Rising History Center
that facade is gorgeous.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 9:09 PM

Here is an update to the residential project that is currently underway on Cherry Street.

Here is the rendering.

And progress so far. I believe it has topped out. Photos courtesy of ComeOnBenjals from the TulsaNow forum. As you can see from all the orange construction signs and cones, Cherry Street itself is a major construction zone now.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 7:59 PM

I got out this afternoon and took some pictures of the progress of several projects going on in and around downtown.

Davenport Lofts - Here are some updated pictures of the Davenport Lofts.

This is my first time venturing to this hill that overlooks downtown. It offers some really nice views. The crane on
the right is for Davenport Lofts and the crane on the left is for the WPX Headquarters, which is still a hole in the ground
at this point.

In this photo, you can see the crane for WPX Headquarters on the right. The black building in the center is the Vast Bank
building, which was recently finished. The smaller crane on the left is for The View.

Another shot of the WPX crane with the downtown skyline.

Speaking of The View, there has been some progress since I was last by.

21 North Greenwood – Here is a new project that has just gotten started. It is a mixed use development
featuring office, restaurant, and retail space. It is located on the southeast corner of Greenwood and Archer in the
northeast corner of downtown.

Here is a rendering.

And progress so far. . . hehe, not much yet.

111 Greenwood – An updated pic of this development.

Office/Mixed Use Space – Here is a new development located just east of downtown near 2nd and Utica.
It is being marketed as mixed use and office space.

West Park Apartments (Phase II) – I managed to drive around this development and snag some pics.
Phase I of this development can be seen on the left of this picture, with phase II on the right.

Capital Homes – Is a developer that has been doing infill in a couple of neighborhoods (that I know of at least).
One is in the Kendall-Whittier Neighborhood and another is in a neighborhood north of downtown (perhaps it is Brady Heights,
but I think it’s a bit too far east for that). Anyway, here are some pics of Emerson, their north Tulsa development.
The majority of their homes are craftsman style.

The two houses on the far right are part of this development. These have rear loading garages, utilizing the alley.

Some homes in the surrounding neighborhood.

And here are some of their homes in the Kendall-Whittier neighborhood. These are catty-corner from the West Park development.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 5:41 AM

Good to see all the progress taking shape in Tulsa. So much has changed since the last time I was there in '04.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 2:39 PM

Great updates and keep up the good work! No real tall buildings underway but some real nice filler mid-rises going up.

Are those Capital Homes in a floodplain or something? The foundations are really tall like they're trying to be elevated above something.

Des Moines' development discussion forum, project updates, and photo gallery page.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Good to see all the progress taking shape in Tulsa. So much has changed since the last time I was there in '04.
I moved here in 2007 and when I think back on it, a lot of things have indeed changed. You were here even before the BOK Center.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
Great updates and keep up the good work! No real tall buildings underway but some real nice filler mid-rises going up.

Are those Capital Homes in a floodplain or something? The foundations are really tall like they're trying to be elevated above something.
I noticed that too and thought it was kind of odd. I just checked and they are NOT in the floodplain. I guess they just wanted to keep the garage at main floor level. In order to do that the fronts have to be raised like that due to the terrain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations