HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babypie View Post
I have long said that if DTLA is to rid itself of it's slum look, then the corridors of Spring, Broadway, and Hill, must be razed. Why hold on to those things which keep hurting its image? Many look like they are ready for the wrecking ball. Take them down and replace them with green fields or else entertainment centers. A great model of cleanliness is what has been done with cities like Rancho Mirage, or Palm Desert. Just lovely!

as for the parking lots, are they not necessary to have?
Funny sarcasm.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:13 AM

US Bank Tower by Hunter, on Flickr

Bradbury Building by Hunter, on Flickr

Topaz by Hunter, on Flickr

Topaz by Hunter, on Flickr

6th & Spring by Hunter, on Flickr

Lizard Hotel Site by Hunter, on Flickr

8th & Spring by Hunter, on Flickr

820 S Olive Tower by Hunter, on Flickr

820 S Olive Tower by Hunter, on Flickr

The Bloc by Hunter, on Flickr

Grand from 8th by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I have to say women shoppers will never feel safe walking down Broadway which is filled with drunk or high homeless
You're generally correct, but the fact that all the swapmeets somehow manage to hang on, & assuming most of their customers are women instead of men.....the DNA for shopping isn't as common in you guys as it is in women....indicates the hesitancy of ppl of both genders....but who also have lots of discretionary income....to stroll down broadway isn't due to just a concern about personal safety, but also due to the street being full of so much grime & junk.

The swapmeets' ability to lure in enough shoppers....mainly working class Latina women who are dependent on the MTA to get to dtla....indicates the street does have at least enough of a captive audience in one category to allow the owners of all those bldgs to keep dilly dallying before doing anything about fixing up their properties. That's why I keep hoping those women will finally feel so turned off by the street, that they'll drop it like a rock & go to newer, cleaner shopping dists in other parts of the city.

In comparison, this new devlpt does show that if something appeals to the type of ppl who aren't thillred by broadway, they'll make an effort to visit dt.....

Quote:
Making Sense of The Broad: A Milestone in the Revitalization of Downtown Los Angeles

by Thomas Musca

Unlike most American cities, which spent the 20th century radiating out into suburbia, Los Angeles befuddles outsiders because it doesn’t really have a definite center. The phrase “LA” is loosely used to refer to a collection of small yet distinct cities across the Los Angeles basin that grew together over time. Traditionally, a handful of these localities have been the cultural centers and tourist destinations (Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Silverlake, etc). While these districts thrived, “downtown” sat largely neglected; its financial towers and retail spaces had severe occupancy issues for much of the 90’s and 2000’s. Ten years ago, downtown street life outside of working hours was virtually nonexistent.

DTLA wasn’t just the butt end of jokes (Family Guy: “There’s nothing to do downtown!”) it was treated with disdain. Even Frank Gehry said on record that he wished the Walt Disney Concert Hall had been constructed 12 miles away in Westwood (near UCLA). He went on to add that he felt the current attempted revitalization of downtown was: “both anachronistic and premature.” Ouch.

It’s little wonder then that when prominent Southern California billionaire art collectors Eli and Edythe Broad sought to “give back to the city” by funding a $140 million contemporary art museum, they shopped around for the perfect location. The Broads considered Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, even Culver City, before eventually selecting an unoccupied downtown lot on Grand Avenue across the street from Gehry's Disney Concert Hall and adjacent to the Colburn School and MOCA; likely thanks to an appealing government subsidy and low income housing deal with the city.

To anyone familiar with Diller Scofidio + Renfro’s original renders, it’s difficult not to be filled with a sense of disappointment when gazing at the structure. You grieve for what might have been. This is no fault of the architects. The Broads are currently involved in a lawsuit with Seele Inc, the German engineering firm in charge of manufacturing the museum’s facade. The debacle resulted in a 15 month delay, $20 million cost overrun, and a watered down design. Seele claimed that the original facade was too difficult to manufacture, and wouldn’t withstand a Los Angeles earthquake. This is unfortunate; the building’s exterior is now decidedly less distinct than the original design and suffers in comparison to Gehry’s adjacent masterpiece.

Despite the compromised exterior, the Broad’s gallery spaces are exquisite. After a dramatic escalator ride through a womb-like tunnel that pierces the vault, visitors find themselves transported from the cramped lobby to the airy main gallery on the third floor. It's an absolute joy to meander about the column-free space. Hundreds of sensor-activated sunshades embedded into the roof refract indirect sunlight into the space through the myriad skylights in the "veil," lighting the art naturally and uniformly.

The whole experience has a very West Coast sense of informality, and is downright refreshing, especially compared to the LACMA docents who bark if you look too intensely at the art.

No matter what one thinks of the Broad’s architecture, a four block long mass of people waiting to see what all the fuss is about is a beautiful sight to behold, especially considering the site was an empty parking lot a couple years ago. This place is still hot - as of this writing, tickets are booked through May - and will likely remain so throughout 2016. Anything that can make Angelenos trek downtown for something that isn’t jury duty is welcome in my book.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
US Bank Tower by Hunter, on Flickr
Why are they protesting?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
6th & Spring by Hunter, on Flickr

^ that's a perfect pic to show why I wish barry shy somehow, someway, someday finally gets funding for at least one of his totally brand new apt projs. that parking lot across from the pe bldg & businesses like the artisan house restaurant, & where his largest proposed apt bldg would rise, is a mood killer & doesn't help add in the hundreds of new residents that the eastern half of dtla desperately needs....given how the nicer stores on streets like broadway are struggling to make a go of it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
Why are they protesting?
I wouldn't call a few distracted people a protest, but I don't get the message either. Let's hope the tower isn't too sad about it, he was a bit moody the last time I saw him.

Well, maybe it was another protest against "poor working conditions" or some labor groups are unhappy.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
The renderings always exaggerate

Mojeda,
would you happen t know who the designers of this building are?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Mojeda,
would you happen t know who the designers of this building are?
Somon Cordwell Buenz

http://www.scb.com

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:00 AM

Speaking of retail news, here's a somewhere brighter spot:

Tour Macy’s Dramatic Makeover into Flagship Store in Downtown LA

http://brighamyen.com/2016/02/21/tou...n-downtown-la/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 7:01 AM

^ thanks, brigham, for providing an answer to something I was wondering about a few months ago on the revamped macy's. at that time there were some pics of the store included in at least 1 or 2 publicity articles about the renovation. One of them showed a small portion of the store with the original cheap looking tile floors still visible. I was hoping those pics had been accidentally inserted into the PR material. Wrong! but that's a relief....assuming the ENTIRE store will be totally renovated in the next few months.

the countless thousands of visitors to dtla over the past few decades who've dropped by macys plaza, esp if they were tourists accustomed to the booming shopping experience in cities like SF or NYC, have gotten a very poor impression of LA due to that shopping ctr. Talk about the worst image possible being presented to the onlooking world by what originally was the broadway plaza.

when I see this pic of the area in front of the macys around xmas time back in 2012, I grimace....

Kelly K, yelp.com

^ that looks like a mall you'd find in paducah or boise. Actually, it may look sadder & more outdated than what you'd find in such small cities of the US.

While this vid doesn't pertain to dtla, I think it fits in here cuz it too shows how much of a turn off a place can be if it falls behind the times. Such an outcome will leave a bad impression of a city to ppl, both locals & visitors. it's about the recently remodeled terminal 2 at LAX....& captures a few before & after glimpses....which I posted a few wks ago to the thread on LAX in the transportation page of ssp.com.

Video Link

^ dtla needs all its variations of the old macys or the old LAX terminal 2, & worse, to be removed, replaced or greatly renovated ASAP.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 9:17 AM

//Improving the look of DTLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Funny sarcasm.
no sarcasm was intended. The buildings south of the Bradbury building and east of the Roxy in the photos on the last page are what I'm talking about. They look very run down and give DT a very bad image.

It's what I'd expect from Mexico City except their DT looks more modernized. The one, two story buildings, even the four story buildings I'm okay with. It's the others about ten stories that contribute to that slum look. Nobody's going to want to venture into them

To clear DTLA of this rubble and flatten it out would be an improvement. Even dirt would be an improvement and is preferable to concrete. Out in Rancho Mirage and Palm Desert (the gem of California) the streets are so wide, and everything is so antiseptic. I just wish we could have more of that look here.

On the lighter side, I am looking forward to the development of Oceanwide plaza. I think it will go well with the projects across the street, Convention Center and Staples, Nokia, Etc. It looks as if they are getting ready to start any day now

and our Wilshire Grand has to be one of our better looking towers along with WedBush, 777, 400 S. Hope

Good day all and God Bless

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 12:46 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Oh man, did you wander into the wrong forum...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
no sarcasm was intended. The buildings south of the Bradbury building and east of the Roxy in the photos on the last page are what I'm talking about. They look very run down and give DT a very bad image.

It's what I'd expect from Mexico City except their DT looks more modernized. The one, two story buildings, even the four story buildings I'm okay with. It's the others about ten stories that contribute to that slum look. Nobody's going to want to venture into them

To clear DTLA of this rubble and flatten it out would be an improvement. Even dirt would be an improvement and is preferable to concrete. Out in Rancho Mirage and Palm Desert (the gem of California) the streets are so wide, and everything is so antiseptic. I just wish we could have more of that look here.

On the lighter side, I am looking forward to the development of Oceanwide plaza. I think it will go well with the projects across the street, Convention Center and Staples, Nokia, Etc. It looks as if they are getting ready to start any day now

and our Wilshire Grand has to be one of our better looking towers along with WedBush, 777, 400 S. Hope

It is these 1920s era buildings that in large part is what makes downtown LA great. We are fortunate they weren't destroyed during the 1960s urban renewal and the quest to build surface parking everywhere. The adaptive reuse of the buildings from this era is often some of the most desirable housing.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:13 PM
Ascension

Quote:

This can't be real life. Moreno Valley and Yucaipa have wide streets and lots of dirt. Should LA emulate those places?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:43 PM

//Improving the look of DTLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
This can't be real life. Moreno Valley and Yucaipa have wide streets and lots of dirt. Should LA emulate those places?
I'm talking about the development in those cities, and I never mentioned Moreno Valley or Yucaipa

The historic section of DTLA if we are honest, are what's holding DTLA down, and are the grungiest section that repulse many. If you are going to attract people, the city has to have a clean appearance, like say Palm Desert, or Santa Monica, Glendale, etc

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 2:43 PM
Ascension

If you were to destroy whatever abandoned buildings that are in and around the Historic Core, DTLA will end up like Detroit. I'd rather have buildings, despite them being empty, are there and can be rehabbed into something else.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:32 PM

Another tower planned in City West/Westlake area

Residential building, but the details are spotty. Developer is American Lifan, which is a US subsidiary of a Chinese manufacturer.

Video flythrough in the article.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:33 PM

Quote:

Palm Desert, the gem of California? Now I know your trolling.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:34 PM

Quote:
The historic section of DTLA if we are honest, are what's holding DTLA down, and are the grungiest section that repulse many. If you are going to attract people, the city has to have a clean appearance, like say Palm Desert, or Santa Monica, Glendale, etc
You came off inadvertently sarcastic....as though you were being tongue in cheek....when you mentioned places in the desert instead of at least Samo, which, for what it is, has been one of the few sections of the LA area associated with revived urbanism. An area of rather old bdlgs that fell apart around 50 yrs ago but has since been brought back to life. An even better example would be old town pasadena, where certain bldgs as old as the ones on broadway in dtla have been cleaned up through the yrs & allowed once dormant streets to bustle again.

the problem is not the old bldgs, particularly the larger beaux arts ones, but their owners &, in some cases, also the tenants....like the swapmeets on broadway. The owners managing their properties like slumlords are the ones that need to be removed, not the bldgs they own.

the point you were trying to make would have been clearer if you had also cited cities like this one....

sf.streetblog.org

^ many of the streets there have a variety of bldgs as old as or even older than what you'll find on broadway. But most of them have been well maintained thru the yrs, or are now properly maintained, & continue to attract ppl who have plenty of cash or credit cards in their wallets or purses, in spite of that city having its fair share of homeless ppl or aggressive panhandlers. btw, a tourist from britain was recently murdered in that city by reportedly a couple of street urchins, so it's not all that safe too. But cuz it's not as grungy as dtla is, or has been, it never lost a major connection to ppl who in LA's case have run off to the burbs or hoods like samo or pasadena.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:40 PM

My suggestion is just to ignore 'babypie.' He/she is a troll. It is not worth your time responding.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations