HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 12:32 PM

Nice!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 1:49 PM
Perch

^ thanks for checking it out themaguffin.

I'm looking forward to seeing more renderings... the hotel design seems a bit busy in those drawings, but overall I think the buildings and plans for this large site look pretty good. This prime site has been vacant land for soooo long.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 12:20 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Thanks for starting this Erie thread Perch! I really love Erie.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 4:19 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post

Nice!
I love this rendering. To me, it's just the sort of modern, up to date dense development Erie needs to move forward and show its progressive side and grow as a tourist and business destination.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:29 AM
Perch

^ Thank you for the comments guys. Austinlee, I agree that this is the type of development that Erie really needs. It's good to see a private developer creating bold plans.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:33 AM
Perch

New renderings of the new hotel and parking garage being built adjacent to the bayfront convention center on the Sassafras St. Pier (where GAF Materials factory formerly stood). A lot of waterfront land still available on the pier and conv ctr parking lot, with plans a few pages back.

Last edited by Perch; Jul 16, 2014 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 11:19 PM
Perch

New LEED-certified EMTA HQ and bus maintenance and garage facility. This is a large 9-acre development near the downtown area. Will take up three long blocks at 14th & French St. (where the existing bus maintenance/storage facilities are) east all the way to Parade St. Highly controversial for the land grab, closing of a street (albeit little used), and demolition of 8 buildings. It's a needed project and it's good that Erie is receiving federal funding for it, but unfortunately, they knocked this 1924 cold storage building down in order to do it. Though, it was neglected for decades and these types of cold storage buildings are coming down all across the country... very hard to reuse for anything else but storage.

Two below views looking west from Parade St.:

Below is the schematic for the $32M first phase (1 block) from Parade to German St.:

Images: http://www.deltaone.com/Projects/Pro...nsit_Authority

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:54 PM
BANNED

I like that new hotel's looks -- the one next to the convention center. I hope it ends up being as sleek and silvery as the rendering. Good to see a more moderately priced hotel being built there; the Sheraton rates are outrageous, like $300 a night. Obviously, they get it since it's always booked -- probably a lot of GE, Erie Insurance, and UPMC business travel paying for it. But those prices are not good for attracting conventions.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:27 AM
Perch

^ It's a great design.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:31 AM
Perch

Older pic of downtown; good to see that some of those empty lots have been/are being developed! I'd love to see the Watson Mfg. plant in the foreground redeveloped into apartments like the Lovell Mfg. building across the tracks directly to its north. Nothing represents Erie's architectural vernacular better than massive brick factories. So many have met the wrecking ball, but many still remain.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 2:02 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Beautiful skyline photo. It is so nice to know what all is going on in Erie.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 12:28 AM
Perch

Good to see stuff happening on State St. These buildings have been in need of a rehab forever.

This art deco face was covered up with awful white siding.

What's with that puke color?

http://reprints.goerie.com/mycapture...tegoryID=55767

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 4:48 PM
Perch

Happy to see renderings for renovation of this cool little building near Union Station/Griswold Plaza.

Turnpike Building

You can see the building dead center in the back. Circa 1961. Everything on the right side of the photo is long gone

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 1:13 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.goerie.com/pnc-economists...conomy-to-grow

Quote:
PNC economists expects Erie economy to grow

By JIM MARTIN, Erie Times-News
jim.martin@timesnews.com

Hoffman said the trajectory of the Erie economy has been in line with the national economy and he expects that to continue.

"The region's economy is doing better," he said, noting that almost 2,000 new jobs have been created in the past year.

"In the coming year, we think another 1,500 jobs will come into the Erie market," he said, adding that personal bankruptcies are likely to fall and that housing prices will rise.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 4:24 AM
Perch

Renovations to west side of Perry Square ongoing. Construction of the stage is underway, and the fountain on the east side will be completely restored to its original condition. I'm so glad that they finally got rid of that ridiculous 1990s gazebo and are reoving some of the monuments (which had just begun to seem cluttered). Great improvements to one of the original squares laid out by renown planner Andrew Ellicott.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 11:02 PM
Perch

Renovated Armory building on lower east side. Erie Insurance converted the historic building into office and event space. Good to see it being reused after a very brief idle time; it didn't have time to decay beyond repair thankfully.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 11:23 PM
Perch

Erie Insurance also purchased and renovated their original headquarters building on Perry Square in downtown Erie. It is now the "Heritage Center"... a corporate museum basically. Good to see that they are renovating valuable old buildings rather than plowing down blocks at a time, like they've done in the past.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 11:31 PM
Perch

And the newly completed Technical Training Center and attached parking garage.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 6:53 PM
Eurosceptic

I was just in Erie a few weeks ago... I was kinda impressed with the Downtown nightlife along State Street.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 10:12 PM
BANNED

Glad to hear you were up in Erie. Love it up there in the summer. It seems like there has been somewhat of a decrease in nightlife over the past couple years actually. People say it has to do with crime, or rather the perception of crime. Erie is struggling with some tough crime issues right now, but most of it is not in the immediate downtown core. It seems this time of year (summer, college kids return) though, all the bars downtown are pretty busy anyway. I wouldn't really know anymore -- whenever I visit, I rarely go out downtown... getting old, I guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations