HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 1:41 AM

More 525@Vine news...

http://www.clinicalink.com/

Technology company Clinical Ink is preparing for fast growth as they move from Cherry Street to the the first floor of 525@Vine. 25-30 employees will take up 7,676 square feet. Six months ago, the company had around 17 employees in W-S.

The 10,000 square feet YMCA Express center is now open.

http://www.wakeforestinnovationquart...-quarter-ymca/

http://ymcanwnc.org/locations/innovation-quarter-ymca/

Dynamic signage is going up at the Corner of 5th and Vine. Should be really eye-catching at night!

http://statigr.am/fifthletter

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:20 AM
Fourth and Main

An update on the Semans Library (Arts Library):

Credit: David Valentino

Credit: David Valentino

It's good to see this thread move from one big weekly update to several smaller updates during the week.
I sometimes forget something, like this library, by waiting to post it in one big update.

Salem College Student Center: (NEW TO THIS THREAD!)
This could be a candidate for the new buildings built in a traditional style discussion! They have buildings from the 1700s on campus and their new buildings
are designed to match their older buildings. This was the nation's first Women's college and is one the oldest colleges in the United States. Very awesome!

Source

Salem College is also working on a major expansion that will double the size of campus.
We are still waiting for more information on this major multi-building construction project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Blum Construction
It may be a brand new building on an 18th century campus, but the new Salem Student Center,
with brick and roof shingles complementing surrounding facilities, appears that it has been there forever! Work is
nearing completion on the new Salem Student Center, with a dedication scheduled for May 13. — at Salem College.
525@Vine:
According to a post from zinzendorf at WSTB, this building may have officially opened yesterday or will officially open this week?
I haven't seen anything in the news about it.

Credit: Linville | Team

Do we call it "@" or 525@Vine? Signage suggests @ is the correct name, but materials promoting the building suggest 525@Vine is correct.
I will continue to use 525@Vine.

Flywheel:
Speaking of 525@Vine, Flywheel will hold an open house in two weeks. If you're starting a tech company and are interested in becoming
a member, contact them about this. They haven't opened yet, but are already receiving strong interest in their memberships. Like I said,
if you want to become a member of Flywheel Co-work, do it now or you may find yourself on a waiting list!
http://flywheelcowork.com/membership-application/

Last edited by Matthew; Apr 25, 2014 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 3:28 AM
Fourth and Main

Did you attend Cycling Sunday today?

Bailey Power Plant:
It appears as if James Moeser is now confirming possible plans to convert the Bailey Power Plant into a performing arts center.

Plant 64 Lofts:
Among the most awesome construction photographs posted in this thread. This is work at the retail building in the Plant 64 Lofts multi-building complex. They expect to finish construction on the retail building late next month?

Credit: Travis - Plant 64

Flywheel:
A look at their construction inside 525@Vine.

Source

Source

Source

401 N. Main Hotel:
TwinCity at WSTB discovered that PMC Property Group of Philadelphia has looked around the building and could be a finalist to convert the 23-storey art deco Reynolds Building into a hotel? They could also be the company selected to convert it to a hotel and condos? If selected, this could be the second hotel project for PMC Property Group, which is currently converting the James Reed Building into the Hotel Monaco in Pittsburgh. In Winston-Salem, we could see retail, residential, meeting space, and a luxury boutique hotel at this iconic building. If any of our friends in Pittsburgh or Philadelphia have more information on PMC Property Group, please share. It appears as if this Pennsylvania developer is just entering the hotel development business and, again, Winston-Salem "could" have their second hotel? This is the famous award-winning building used in the design of the Empire State Building. People passing-through the city are surprised by this building and often pull-over to take a photograph of it. To say this will become a popular hotel is an understatement.

West Forsyth High School:
U.S. News & World Report has ranked West Forsyth High School the second best high school in North Carolina and the best in the Triad area.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 12:36 AM
Fourth and Main

Cycling Sunday:
A great photograph of Winston-Salem's Cycling Sunday on the front page!

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...c271.image.jpg
Credit: Bruce Chapman - Journalnow

50 West Fourth Apartments:
I noticed this light-well in the developer's rooftop photographs and wanted to share it. I thought this was interesting. I remember seeing it when making a 3D model of the building several years ago. We should start seeing more updates on this one! It will become 57 apartments and have a 1,900 square foot storefront, at the intersection of Main and Fourth streets, for a retailer or restaurant. The building was completed in 1896 and still has the original 1896 cornerstone. The building did have a 112 foot tall (34.1m) rooftop tower, but the tower was shortened and the building was expanded in 1925 and 1959. I wish they could remove the expansions and rebuild the tower. It was a beautiful Richardson Romanesque building years ago. Maybe I can share a few photographs of it later, including the original Victorian staircase and the 1896 cornerstone.

Credit: Clachan Properties

Ralph Lauren:
A file at the Forsyth County Register of Deeds today reports Ralph Lauren has leased their 843,000 square foot building and we now know construction will start next month! They should be ready to move-in by September 2015. This is the first phase of the project, which should reach 1.22 million square feet! This is where Ralph Lauren's local executives will move to. The Forsyth County Register of Deeds says Landmark Builders is the general contractor and Bradly & Ball are the architects. I usually don't cover many projects outside downtown, but this is a massive office and logistics project that could create 1,115 new jobs for a company that is a household name. I'm sure WSBI is celebrating this.

New Jobs:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina is opening a new innovation center that will be based in Winston-Salem.

West End Mill Works:
West End Mill Works will hold their grand opening on May 7th, at 7:30 p.m.,. There is a hipster warning issued for this event. The Mill Works does have a brewery and a distillery, so you may want to attend.

1815 Salt Flax House:
I find the restorations of these historic homes very interesting and want to share this one with the forum! Yes, this house was built in 1815!

Credit: Wilson Covington Construction

These historic floor joists (image below) are said to be from 1814? Is this house from 1814 or 1815?

I think this is everyone's favorite historic neighborhood in Winston-Salem! The half-timbered houses, from the mid-1700s, are the oldest.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:54 AM
Fourth and Main

Welcome to Winston-Salem: City of Adaptive Reuse!

Hotel Monaco: (I'm guessing Monaco?)
Josh Ward of Cushman & Wakefield has reported that upscale boutique hotel developer Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Group LLC of San Francisco is buying the historic 23-storey Reynolds Building. It will likely become Hotel Monaco? They have also formed a partnership with PMC Property Group of Philadelphia to add luxury apartments to their hotel property. This will become an amazing hotel. It was a "blank check" project in 1927 for Shreve Lamb & Harmon architects for a major company with products that helped define the jazz/swing age. This building has gold and silver ceilings, rare metals, marble everywhere, art deco murals, art deco glass, and a beautifully detailed art deco facade. This is the best skyscraper in the state and a real prize for Kimpton Hotels. I'm guessing the hotel will open in early 2016?

Source

Old Salem Museums & Gardens:
This historic neighborhood said over 300,000 people visited last year! Only around a third actually paid for tour tickets though. If you buy a ticket, you can see inside a few select buildings they own and visit their museums.

Forsyth County Sheriffs Department:BUILT!
A large adaptive reuse project just open today! The Forsyth County Sheriffs Department reuses an old banking data center building.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...62e2.image.jpg
Credit: David Rolfe - Journalnow

Raymond Loewy Building:
Richmond Primoid Inc., was awarded a contract of $277,582.71 to restore the exterior of the Raymond Loewy Building.

Credit: WSTB

At one time, this 1920s art deco building was North Carolina's most upscale department store, with valet parking (the building was designed with parking in the basement) and the store had people to model the clothes for customers! You wouldn't see all the sizes on a rack. Someone had to model it for you and find your size in an employees only back room, if you liked it. Sosnik's Department Store was originally designed by Northrup & O'Brien in the 1920s, but was remodeled by the upscale department store in the 1940s, when they hired the famed streamline designer Raymond Loewy to completely redesign the inside of the store and update the main entrance. The building was featured in the magazine Interior Design and their photographs are in the Library of Congress for everyone to see. I'm not a fan of what he did on the outside and wish someone would remove Loewy's renovation and restore the original art deco.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 4:10 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 11:52 AM

An article said that they were adding the old awnings back to the front. Is there a photo showing these awnings?

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 3:27 AM

Fox8 sums up downtown residential construction.

http://myfox8.com/2014/05/02/condo-c...winston-salem/

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 5:18 AM
Fourth and Main

I read that too, in the Raymond Loewy Building restoration description. I don't recall seeing awnings on the building in historic photographs, but I can look again?

Sprite Films:
Be sure to vote for "Because We Have To" at Sprite Films. It was filmed by a UNCSA student in downtown Winston-Salem. It appears as if this was painted at the original 3rd Street Union Station site, in downtown's IQ District?

Vote: http://www.sprite.com/films

Video Link

Energy-efficient Solar-powered Residences:

Credit: Reciprocity

New Jobs - North State Aviation:
North State has expanded this week to 301,189 square feet! Looking for a job in aerospace/aviation? This company is hiring! This is a startup from three or four years ago? They must rank among the fastest growing companies in Winston-Salem?

Flywheel: Located in 525@Vine.
It appears as if Flywheel will have a bar, serving coffee during the day & craft beer at night! This should be a great addition to the downtown IQ District's offerings. Be sure to attend the Flywheel Fling next Thurs at 5 pm. Free drinks and live music! RSVP http:/conta.cc/1rSFvIH

Coffee and Craft Beer Bar Under Construction at Flywheel!

Source

Winston-Salem Urban Link:
I thought this looked awesome! And a "park" bridge directly over the expressway!

Source

Wind Turbines On the Expressway:

Source

Fourth & Broad Office Building:
We should know the name of the lead tenant this month, according to the developer. For a construction update, look behind the band on the left in the photograph below.

Credit: Caffe Prada

I love the reflections! If I can visit this summer, I would like to photograph a reflection in these windows!

Last edited by Matthew; May 4, 2014 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 5:03 AM
Fourth and Main

Herbalife Building & Jobs:
Herbalife is hiring! They are looking for chemists and information technology employees in Winston-Salem. Their building will partially open next week, but won't be 100% completed until September.

525@Vine:
It's not completed, but is open for tenants. This is a chance to see the inside of another tech company building. This is an adaptive reuse project of an historic building, creating the industrial appearance so many research & technology companies and their employees want! BioMed Realty Trust is the developer and Linville | Team is leasing the office space.

Source

Source

Source

Photograph Below: You can watch the elevators go up and down and the elevators have glass walls, so you can look out at the lobby while in the elevator!

Source

These lights (photographs above and below) change colors.

Source

Camel City Goods:
Looking for an awesome way to display your love for this city?

Mon-Sat: 10am-6pm
1000 Brookstown Ave
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
(336) 793-4437

Source

Last edited by Matthew; May 6, 2014 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 4:15 AM
Fourth and Main

Semans Arts Library:
This is looking really good! Any word on when it will be completed?

Credit: UNCSA

Shared Resources in the IQ District:
The Biotechnology Center is creating a $195,764 molecular imaging, manipulation and force measurement core resource at BioTech Place in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. This facility can be used by any researchers in downtown Winston-Salem for nanometer-scale imaging, probing and measurement. If you're interested in starting a tech business in the IQ District, they have a large variety of money saving resources your company can use. I'm not sure if you have to join something, but I've heard many companies say these are great resources and a good reason to move your company to downtown's IQ District.

Bailey Park @ East End:
I'm trying to find a great photograph of Bailey Park, but very few people photograph it. This is why it's often in the background. It's also usually from this same location, with a person or people standing in front. If you visit Winston-Salem, please take a photographic update of this project!

It appears as if the concrete walls are now removed?

Bailey Park construction is to the left (in the background) in the image below:

Source: Revolution Gliding Tours

If you visit, you may want to take advantage of the Segway tours. There are two companies offering them. There is also a bicycle tour you can take.

RIA Solutions Jobs:
Are you a .net web developer? Are you looking for a job? Software tech company RIA Solutions is hiring in downtown Winston-Salem. They are in the popular IQ District in downtown, which is a very desirable place to work.

Cladding is being installed on the building! I think Charlie would want me to share this number with you, if you're interested in this building: 336.793.0890 I think there is 11,000 square feet remaining, if you're interested?

Credit: Charlie McCurry

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 8:13 PM

The Salem Creek Connector into the downtown research park is well underway and looks much more involved than I thought. Photo is from the front page of today's Journal. 52/I-285 has literally been opened up

http://www.journalnow.com/

Cork Caps & Taps Wine tasting room coming together on 4th st.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Loopnet is saying that the former Kuhn artist studio on Liberty Street has been sold to investors for redevelopment. They're planning a mix of uses for the site. I'm not sure if they plan on redeveloping the property or renovating the building.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 4:49 AM
Fourth and Main

Bailey Park @ East End:
Finally! Great photographs of construction at Bailey Park!

Credit: WXII-12

Bailey Power Plant:
WXII is also confirming the Bailey Power Plant will have a bowling alley among its entertainment offerings. Bailey Power Plant will become an entertainment destination, with movies, bowling, live music, performing arts, restaurants, retail, and more! I'm really excited! If you didn't know: Bailey Park @ East End, which includes an amphitheatre, water features, food truck park, and more, is across the street from Bailey Power Power Plant.

Flywheel at 525@Vine:
Their basketball court is built! They also held an open house this week. This is an awesome space. If you're interested in starting your tech company at Flywheel Co-work: http://flywheelcowork.com/membership-application

Source: Flywheel / 525@Vine

Source: Flywheel / 525@Vine

Winston-Salem - A Fashionista Mecca:
Sparefoot has ranked Winston-Salem the top city for fashionistas. People often agree or disagree with these rankings, but they do have interesting facts in them. Did you know women in Winston-Salem spend an average of $1,519 on clothes each year? That is the highest in the nation! I was not aware of that and it would explain some of the interesting boutique clothing stores opening around the city.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 5:19 AM
Fourth and Main

Hotel Monaco?
According to an inside source at WSTB, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants is waiting on the NRHP (tax credits) to complete the purchase of the building and make a big announcement. This is expected to happen around June 17th. Josh Ward of Cushman & Wakefield has already said Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants has agreed to buy the building and convert it to a luxury hotel. PMC Property Group will also be involved, adding luxury apartments to the project.

An Interesting Fact:
Winston-Salem has the most registered historic landmarks of any city in the United States! This is from Trader Joes' Grocery Store. Always a good source for information.

Source

Rails-to-Trails: The Bicycle Super Highway!
I think work is starting this week on the pedestrian and bicycle commuter project along the old rail line in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. They are clearing away an old bridge that collapsed a few months ago, so they can start on the first phase. The first phase will cost $5.5 million and includes ramps for bikes, just like a highway! As part of this project, a rail line next to these paths will be preserved, so the regional transportation authority can use it in a few years for a light rail project. That sounds awesome! I think this is designed to be similar to New York City's High Line? It will have landscaping, decorative lighting, benches, trash and recycling cans, bike racks, drinking fountains, emergency phones, and security cameras. The buildings along the path also have lockers, bike storage, and showers. They would like to start a B-cycle bikeshare when it opens. Right now, Winston-Salem has a free bikeshare system, paid for by local businesses.

Flywheel at 525@Vine:
A nice look at their floorplans.

Source

Big Winston Market:
Black Mountain Chocolate is relocating from Swannanoa to downtown Winston-Salem and Big Winston Market is the likely location. You will be able to see how the candy is made and buy it at downtown's Big Winston Market. This is a nice addition to Winston-Salem's downtown arts district. Black Mountain Chocolate is sold coast-to-coast, from California-to-Virginia and yes, the candy you buy in San Francisco will be made in downtown Winston-Salem. A very awesome announcement.

More Jobs:
A home furnishings company is looking into buying and renovating a building on the north end of Winston-Salem. They will create over 200 new jobs and move 47 jobs from another building in the city to this location.

Second Sundays On Fourth:
WOW! Second Sundays on Fourth was HUGE! I didn't realize how big this event was. Now you see why the streetcar turns away from Fourth Street. I know some people have asked about that. They can't run the streetcar down this street, due to the many street closing festivals this city is known for.

Source

The Farmery Grocery Store:
TwinCity at WSTB reported on a new urban farm/grocery/cafe concept that is interested in opening in downtown Winston-Salem. The project will cost around $2-3 million to build and operate and will use recycled shipping containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCity @ WSTB
This idea is to provide fresh produce at an enclosed pick-your-own farm site. The vegetables would be grown on site, and sold in a grocery store and a cafe.

Source: WSTB

As many Winston-Salem historians know, these shipping containers were actually invented in Winston-Salem by Malcom McLean of Winston-Salem based McLean Trucking. His company is no longer around, but his invention still is!

Salem College Student Center: BUILT!
This building has finally opened (as of today!).

All Salem College Photographs Credited to Lambert Architecture + Interiors:

The light fixture in the photograph above is actually around 200 years old and was found in the attic of a campus building!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJ
The two-story building has a bookstore, a café, a theater and multiple lounges and meeting rooms. The new building reflects the campus’ history in various ways, including the use of furniture and architectural elements such as a blue-painted cupboard or “schrank” that dates back to between 1780 and 1795, and table tops made with wood from two large trees felled during construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect David Lambert
"We introduced newer materials such as monumental plate glass in subtle ways. This allowed an open feeling not typically found in some of the historic structures, making it truly a building of the present day as well.”
The theatre in the building, as seen in the Journal:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...1b45.image.jpg
Credit: David Rolfe | JournalNow

A beautiful structure! Great job by Lambert and also by Blum Construction. It looks more like an historic building or an adaptive reuse project than new construction. A great addition to the nation's first college for women! This is also one of the first 15 colleges/universities in the nation. This college opened a few years before the start of the American Revolutionary War! This was a very progressive city to open the nation's first college for women back then.

HAECO Cabin Interiors Mixed-use Campus:
Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Company LTD., is seeking rezoning for six acres around their cabin interiors complex, so they can build retail and other amenities. They are building their cabin interiors campus as a mixed-use project. They will also add another 500,000 square feet of space soon for their workers and create 500 additional full-time jobs in everything from engineering to supply chain at their complex near Winston-Salem's Union Cross area. You can almost walk to this from Winston-Salem's Union Cross Business Park! It should be a nice collection of amenities!

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:46 AM
Fourth and Main

Link Apartments:
They are finally painting it! If you want a ballpark view apartment, look into these. The terrain in Winston-Salem is interesting. One side of this building, fronting the Burke Street area, is around 7-storeys, if I remember correctly, and the other side (facing the ballpark) is 4-storeys.

Credit: Link Apartments Brookstown

National Center for Design Innovation:
An interesting look at the steel skeleton from the inside! We thank you for sharing this, Brian!

Credit: Brian Spears

An update from Thursday (5-15)! I'm guessing the weather is slowing things down? When will we hear the name of the financial company that leased this building? We are already half-way into May?

Source

New Headquarters & New Jobs - Verger Capital Management:
Winston-Salem has a new financial company headquarters. Verger Capital Management.

Bike to Work Week:
Friday is Winston-Salem's Bike to Downtown Day! With nice weather today, you may want to bike to work today? I should've told you about the Cycling Social on Monday at Krankies (hipster coffee establishment named for a bike part). Winston-Salem celebrates Bike Month, so there are activities all month. Thursday was Bike for Fitness Day. There was also a Bike Movie Day on Tuesday. Winston-Salem is awesome!

Ride of Silence:
One of those bike related activities is the Ride of Silence next Wednesday. It's a 7 mile slow ride that starts at 7p.m., at Mock Orange Bikes.

Nice View of Downtown:
While looking for updates, I found this view of the Financial District, taken from the Republic Mutual Insurance Building. This is from Mullen Advertising Agency's office, looking toward Corpening Plaza Water Gardens, BB&T's headquarters, Ward Federal Building, and Cesar Pelli's Wells Fargo Center. The building this photograph was taken from was designed by Pickard Chilton, with interiors designed by Gensler. It has a tall atrium, with palm trees, and won a design award when it opened. The main entrance to the building actually fronts a pedestrian and bike path and not a street, which is very unusual.

Source

The Hut Indoor Skate Park: (Northwest Industrial District)
I thought this looked awesome, so I decided to share it with the forum. It's an adaptive reuse of an old quonset hut, relocated from Winston-Salem's former Cold War Air Force base. It's located in downtown Winston-Salem's Northwest Industrial District. Winston-Salem is The City of Adaptive Reuse. The Hut dates back to a time when Winston-Salem had over 1,000 Ph.D. scientists and large factories working on top secret defense projects for decades, during the Cold War. At that time, Western Electric (near the current location of this hut!) was Winston-Salem's largest employer. The Air Force had a base in Winston-Salem to protect these operations.

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Winston-Salem's Wine Festival Season is Here:
Are you visiting Winston-Salem, to see some of these projects this month? If you love wine, this is a good month to visit! Some people at SSP have asked me about the wine festivals in Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem is in the Yadkin Valley, which is North Carolina's wine country. There are three wine festivals. The Yadkin Valley Wine Festival is this weekend. The North Carolina Wine Festival is May 24. Salute: The North Carolina Wine Celebration is May 31st. Salute is the biggest wine festival and one of the city's big downtown street closing festivals. If you can only attend one wine festival, attend Salute in downtown on May 31st.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 3:21 AM

Excellent update! Is the Hut opposite the Chatham Mills development? That area is really developing a cool vibe.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:44 AM
Fourth and Main

The Hut Indoor Skate Park:
It is! It appears to occupy about half of the structure, which is actually two historic quonset huts welded together to make one building! It also has an older building attached to the back. That neighborhood is becoming the next big area for the city's hipsters. It's also near The West End Mill Works.

The Northwest Industrial District Neighborhood: (Where The Hut Indoor Skate Park is located)

Credit: Ukn.

The Hut Skate Park's Quonset Huts: (Canal Street is named for the waterway under the bridge to the right)

Credit: GSV

These are professionals practicing at The Hut for national events.

The Hut Indoor Skate Park

Source

I wish I could see the advertisement with the skyline in the top left corner (image above).

Source

Winston-Salem actually has a large skateboarding community and several stores around the city have skate teams, from Exodus to Reanimator. I found a video for a Winston-Salem professional skateboarder with his own shoe. That isn't the video below though. I think this is Reanimator Record Store's skate team in the video?

Video Link

Goler-Depot Super Energy Efficient Solar Condos:
We are now learning more about these awesome condos proposed for downtown Winston-Salem!

From the same designers who brought you the 2011 U.S., Solar Home of the Year, we have the redesigned urban home. These residential units are designed to generate more electricity than they use! Many of their materials and design ideas are from Europe and are new to the United States. Among them are CLT (cross-laminated timber), which is a lightweight and high strength product, made of strips of lumber glued together at right angles. This eliminated the need for framing and will be the first use of CLT in a residential structure in the United States! The CLT construction will feature “rain screen technology,” creating an impervious barrier. The windows use Eastman Chemical’s Heat Mirror technology to protect the house from direct sun. It will also feature adjustable exterior louvers to add shade and a large roof overhang for midday sun. The homes also feature a CHORD (Container for High-Performance Operation, Recirculation and Distribution). It contains all the electrical and mechanical equipment as well as the full and half-bath and staircases. Residents will also have an automated temperature control system that chooses among three different solar-based systems. The most economical choice uses an air collector on an outside wall to collect air heated by the sun. It also includes an option to use a solar thermal collector system made of long, roof-mounted glass bars that directly heat stored water. This is also the hot water heater! The roof features 16 rooftop photovoltaic panels to run the home’s appliances. Very awesome! Are you excited about these? I know I am! They have completed a market study and are currently in talks with Goler to build these on the north end of downtown's IQ District. I'm guessing Landmark will build these?

The Globe Security Company Building - Ella's Lofts: BUILT
We can remove this project from our list, because it is built and ready for renters! Are you looking for apartments in one of Winston-Salem's favorite downtown neighborhoods? These are actually affordable too, which is very rare for this neighborhood (DaDa / Arts District)! The Globe Security Company Building was built in 1923.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...6985.image.jpg
Credit: Lauren Carroll | JournalNow

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...ea6a.image.jpg
Credit: Lauren Carroll | JournalNow

West End Millworks:
With the retail phase nearly complete, developers have started on the property’s green space and on renovating a building into office space for local entrepreneurs. They will also renovate the old mill into an event space. Developers expect to complete this phase in the Fall.

Rebecca Rush, who moved to Winston-Salem from Chicago, said: "There’s so much in walking distance, but this area has a lot of potential for more development."

Central Library:
The library is seeking a zoning change to allow for storefronts, structured parking, performance space, and a makerspace.

525@Vine:
They now have outdoor furniture for restaurants opening on the ground floor or for lunch breaks. They must be close to completion now?

Credit: WFIQ

New Jobs - Sabeti Wain Aerospace:
This aerospace company, from the United Kingdom, will buy a chuch and renovate it for their design & engineering center, with a small production area. It will become their United States headquarters, with around 120 employees. The company currently has operations in the United Kingdom and Dubai. Paymen Sabeti said this new facility will “significantly shorten the product development cycle” for customers in the Western Hemisphere. Yes, you read that correctly... this is an adative reuse of a church. That should be an interesting adative reuse project! The company has direct sales to more than 20 international airlines. No incentives were requested. If you are an engineer and want to work at an aerospace company, you should consider moving to Winston-Salem. There are several aerospace companies in Winston-Salem and they are constantly hiring.

Plant 64 Lofts & Retail:
Yes, this is five buildings! It's very big. The retail space should open soon. All photographs of Plant 64 are from Capstone Building unless otherwise noted. They do great work and I thank them for their photographic updates.

Credit: Capstone

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 4:58 AM
Fourth and Main

Welcome to "Hotel Week" at the Winston-Salem Development Guide!

Hotel Monaco:
Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants, with PMC Property Group, have completed the purchase of the Reynolds Building. Kimpton Hotels expects to open their new downtown Winston-Salem hotel next year. Kimpton has hotels in 27 cities. This is the first Kimpton Hotel in North Carolina. Kimpton said they are excited by the challenge of transforming this building and they prefer to get involved with downtown revitalization efforts that are already bearing significant economic fruit.

This is an LGBT Friendly Hotel
Hotel Rooms: 175 on the lower six floors.
Hotel Suites: 36
Meeting Space: 6,375 square feet, 2 ballrooms, and meeting rooms on the mezzanine level.
Restaurant: 120 seat chef-driven restaurant & bar and an additional lobby bar.
Fitness Center
Luxury apartments with hotel amenities, to be built by PMC Property Group, on the upper floors.

Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants has a very aggressive timeline for this building? Yes, they want to complete this in the next 12-18 months!

Source

This building has the look of an upscale hotel.

Credit: Preservation NC

The ceilings have gold and silver Art Deco detail work!
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...d6c3.image.jpg
Credit: JournalNow

Art Deco Overload!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodging Magazine
Built in 1929 and considered one of the country’s first examples of Art Deco architecture, the Reynolds Building was designed by Shreve & Lamb, the same architects who went on to design the Empire State Building.

“The Reynolds Building is one of the most historically significant and architecturally interesting buildings in the country, and we are honored to be able to play a role in adapting it into an exciting new hotel for the city, while preserving its important history and character that Reynolds has taken such great care to maintain,” said Kimpton Chief Executive Officer and President Mike Depatie. “It’s also exciting for us to be expanding our footprint in the Southeast, bringing the Kimpton sense of style and fun to a new market of travelers and Winston-Salem locals.”

“Kimpton has an excellent track record in adapting historic buildings into unique boutique hotel properties, and as we learned through our work together on the upcoming Hotel Monaco Pittsburgh, we believe we will produce a new and dynamic destination in downtown Winston-Salem,” said PMC Property Group President Ron Caplan.
New Hotel at Third & Cherry Streets:
CN Hotel Group has purchased the old Northwestern Bank Building (Built in 1964), with plans to demolish it for a new hotel. The modernist office building is currently home to arts groups. The historic storefronts along the cycle tracks will all be preserved! WSTB is reporting the small site will likely lead to an 8-10 storey hotel? This is across the street from a recently completed 10-story condo tower and near the 20-storey Nissen Apartments Building. If they decided to go that tall, a 10-storey building would look great here! No word on the hotel flag and no renderings. We can get excited about those in a future thread.

Link Apartments:
Visit the Link Apartments this Saturday for a hard hat tour! You'll get a first look at the new apartments and all who apply Saturday will get 1 month free rent! For baseball fans, this is an offer too good to pass-up. Reserve a tour this Saturday!

1-877-844-0001
www.linkbrookstown.com
info@linkbrookstown.com

Credit: Link Brookstown

Barnhills Book & Wine Store:
Barnhills Book & Wine Store is moving from Burke Street to Fourth or Trade streets, in the center of downtown. The present location, in The Village District of downtown, will sell used books and open a print shop in the back. Yes, downtown could soon have 3 stores selling books!

Fourth Street Receives Recognition:
Winston-Salem’s Fourth Street has been named a "Great Main Street" by the American Planning Association. Winston-Salem’s history, mixed uses, and the vibrancy of Fourth Street, along with the dedication of the city and community to make the street come alive, were all taken into account. Both the Kimpton Hotel and Power Plant projects, discussed in this post, are on Fourth Street.

More Jobs:
Looking for a job? Vuse will announce tomorrow they are creating 300 new jobs. The governor will be there for the big announcement.

More Jobs:
A mystery company has signed a lease for 316,000 square feet at Union Cross in Winston-Salem and may need another 101,250 square feet! At this time, no incentives are involved.

Bailey Power Plant:
We have an architect and a developer for the project, as well as signed tenants! It also appears as if SciWorks could be close to securing space in the Bailey Power Plant project? Renderings are now showing SciWorks' sign on the roof! I guess we will see what happens in the next few days? They have a big event scheduled for May 31st, across the street from the power plant, at BioTech Place's Conference Center. Maybe they will announce this at that event? This is, without a doubt, the biggest downtown project right now.

According to two forum members at WSTB, we can expect this:
Developer - BioMed Realty Trust / Wexford Equities
Architect - Design Collective
SciWorks
UNCSA Music School - UNCSA Dance School
Black Box Theater
a/perture Movie Theatre will open a second location here that is bigger and can screen first-run movies.
Bowling Alley with dance floor, upscale restaurant, and bar.
Wine Bar

It appears as if this could start construction as soon as three months from now?

Bailey Power Plant with SciWorks Signage: (The Newest Rendering!) Notice the sculptures along the sidewalk!

Credit: Design Collective Architects

Sixteen Over Six:
Are you an artist looking for new downtown studio space? Talk with Sixteen Over Six at 213 West 6th Street. They just opened not too long ago!

Credit: SixteenOverSix

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 12:26 PM

Winston-Salem my fave city in NC.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 3:23 PM

Thanks for the great update!

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 3:21 AM

Probably the biggest update thus far. Fox8 aired a really nice piece about the RA building and how it still is the face of downtown. Its an amazing work of art and so proud of RA for being thoughtful and meticulous on who would take over the building.

Keep en eye on 3rd street. I have a feeling that things will get interesting on 3rd between Cherry and Liberty. CN and hopefully the Arden Group will kick things off...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations