HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 11:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Jersey City lost population last year if the Census' annual estimates are to be believed. I was one of them due to a job.

Population estimate as of July 1, 2019 is 262,075

Newark gained population while Jersey City lost people. Don't tell Mayor Fulop! lol
I'm surprised the city is losing folks. Side effect of its growth perhaps (becoming evermore expensive so folks bounce). Fulop should capitalize on affordable housing.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm surprised the city is losing folks. Side effect of its growth perhaps (becoming evermore expensive so folks bounce). Fulop should capitalize on affordable housing.
When I lived in The Heights, there was a HUGE immigrant population with large families as evidenced with the amount of kids playing in the streets. It was affordable. I think affordability is slipping away, and that's displacing the immigrant families with more wealthy Brooklynites, for example. As much development that's happening in Jersey City, it's still not enough to keep up with demand, to the determinant of affordable. The R-1 zoning district should allow 3 or 4 family homes. That would provide 200 to 300 percent increase in density. Right now there is a reduction in density when older homes are torn down and replaced with one-family or two-family boxes.

The luxury high-rises are only a small part of the solution, new, higher density housing has to happen in the R-1 neighborhoods that make up much of the city if housing affordability will be addressed.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 10:00 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I hope they change the zoning too. It would be a shame if JC allows itself to become swallowed by transplants from NYC, and become another Williamsburg in terms of pricing. Much of the city could be up zoned. Even an increase of the midrise stock can significantly aid in adding 1000's of units. Like aside from the new towers being added, definitely more infill near the heights is needed, and also in South JC near Bayonne. I'd love to see more density in and around McGinley Square.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 7:08 AM

There is a really large multi-tower development planned on the 6th street pier in Newport. 2,000 units on vacant land. 5 towers, 2.8 million sqft (2.4 million residential and 450,000 sqft for 1000 space parking garage), and a park. The density is 6.4 FAR, inclusive of the park.

No word on height but expecting the 50-storey + range for the tallest.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 9:14 AM

Quote:
There is a really large multi-tower development planned on the 6th street pier in Newport. 2,000 units on vacant land. 5 towers, 2.8 million sqft (2.4 million residential and 450,000 sqft for 1000 space parking garage), and a park. The density is 6.4 FAR, inclusive of the park.

Where is that exactly? Sounds like an exciting project, first I've heard of this particular one, however. Still waiting on the nearby Avalon Tower which seems to be stalled at the moment.

Really excited about the relatively low rise but dense Bayfront project on our far west side between Route 440 and the Hackensack River. Going to have a major affordable component, primarily between 20-60% of median income.. a true mixed income development which is welcome but sorely underutilized...certainly not seen much if at all downtown and for whatever reason even in the otherwise laudable development of the rest of the West side area, virtually ignored which is appalling.

1,092 units in the first stage, which is to start after infrastructure work is done starting this fall...386 of which will be deemed affordable. First project is 16 acres... early renderings suggest several apartment towers between 5-12 stories with significant greenery in the center of the development.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Where is that exactly? Sounds like an exciting project, first I've heard of this particular one, however. Still waiting on the nearby Avalon Tower which seems to be stalled at the moment.
Put "2 sixth street, jersey city" in Google Maps. It's that whole slip.

Quote:
Really excited about the relatively low rise but dense Bayfront project on our far west side between Route 440 and the Hackensack River. Going to have a major affordable component, primarily between 20-60% of median income.. a true mixed income development which is welcome but sorely underutilized...certainly not seen much if at all downtown and for whatever reason even in the otherwise laudable development of the rest of the West side area, virtually ignored which is appalling.

1,092 units in the first stage, which is to start after infrastructure work is done starting this fall...386 of which will be deemed affordable. First project is 16 acres... early renderings suggest several apartment towers between 5-12 stories with significant greenery in the center of the development.
Yeah, Bayfront is going to be awesome! It will eventually be home to 16,000 to 20,000 people.

They're saying it will be 8,000 units now, but I will not be surprised if that number creeps up though the years. It's going to be way too attractive if a developer promises to build a school or something in exchange for extra density.

Even if 1 percent of the residents are school-aged kids, that's still a couple hundred new students that need to be housed somewhere.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:51 PM

Quote:

This is great! Who is the developer?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
This is great! Who is the developer?
The developer is Newport Center and the email address contact is jfarrell (at) lefrak.com

The architect is Arquitectonica, based out of New York City. They're the same one that did Ellipse.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Developer Plans Nearly 300 Market-Rate Units on Jersey City’s West Side

Quote:
The owner of a tract on Jersey City’s West Side could construct a new six-story development on the property.

The owner of 49 Fisk Street is planning a project that would include 295 studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom residential units. The company, which is simply known as 49 Fisk Property Owner, LLC, was designated as the redeveloper of the site by the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency’s Board of Commissioners during its virtual meeting on May 19.

Slides that were presented to the Board of Commissioners included renderings and site plans from Minno & Wasko that show that the development would include a courtyard area with a pool along with a rooftop amenity area. Part of the project would face a future extension of Mallory Avenue, according to the concept site plan, which also shows the building could feature a club amenity room, a fitness area, 150 standard parking spaces, and 19 tandem spaces.
==================
Jersey Digs

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 3:03 PM

693-701 Newark Avenue is dead due to the pandemic. Source: JCRA June Agenda

Images from http://www.roi-nj.com

Write-up when first revealed on Jersey Digs.

https://jerseydigs.com/canbis-dream-...e-jersey-city/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 3:09 PM

Phase 1 of the Bayfront Redevelopment. It was a little hard to tell exactly where the new buildings were being placed from the renderings.

Source - June JCRA Agenda, Bayfront Redevelopment Plan, Jersey City.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 3:24 PM

I didn't realize it before but 29 Van Reipen Avenue will be a 744 unit mixed-use building with a decent amount of office and retail space. That's a mammoth amount of units to fit in a 27-storey building.

29 Van Reipen Avenue is one of the Three (or more) Homestead Sisters as I'm going to call them.

26 Cottage

26-28-Van-Reipen-Avenue

33-35 Van Reipen Avenue and 616-618 Pavonia Avenue (Which is across the street from 29 Van Reipen Avenue)

There are all seperate development proposals planned right next to each other, right? That's going to be a crazy amount of density.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 3:36 PM

Wow, I'm really glad to see that density in the JSQ developments. I'm glad they're going dense from the beginning of the redevelopment in that area, it'll make the critical mass for the neighborhood tipping in a positive direction arrive faster.

I hate to be a negative Nancy by bringing this up, but here it goes...

I'm very concerned about PATH. I know they're doing some work to add additional capacity, but the amount of people using the three Jersey City stations is getting very, very high and I don't think the improvements will do much, considering the amount of people using the system will continue to grow. We can safely assume that 90% of the renters in these new projects will be using the PATH to commute every day. Eventually, if it's not fixed, the PATH will hold Jersey City back from future development and improvement because of transport in and out of the city being completely unsustainable and, frankly, a nightmare during rush hour.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Wow, I'm really glad to see that density in the JSQ developments. I'm glad they're going dense from the beginning of the redevelopment in that area, it'll make the critical mass for the neighborhood tipping in a positive direction arrive faster.

I hate to be a negative Nancy by bringing this up, but here it goes...

I'm very concerned about PATH. I know they're doing some work to add additional capacity, but the amount of people using the three Jersey City stations is getting very, very high and I don't think the improvements will do much, considering the amount of people using the system will continue to grow. We can safely assume that 90% of the renters in these new projects will be using the PATH to commute every day. Eventually, if it's not fixed, the PATH will hold Jersey City back from future development and improvement because of transport in and out of the city being completely unsustainable and, frankly, a nightmare during rush hour.
Probably about 50 percent of the people that previously used PATH to go to work in Manhattan are now permanently work from home. The Pandemic has been a gamechanger in advancing companies to allow some employees to telecommute 100 percent of the time.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=218200&page=8

Last month, about 20,000 people used PATH, down from the usual 300,000. We're not heading back to 300,000 for at least a decade and even then it will not be as packed as it was due to a number of simple improvements currently underway.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/modernizing-path.html

Even when PATH does return to pre-pandemic levels, the conversion to 10-car trains will add 40 percent capacity along with modern signals allowing trains to run closer together will be another boost in capacity.

The PATH will probably have to rise in excess of 400,000+ riders per day before it reaches the new capacity limits with the current improvements underway, and then the discussion shifts on how to create new train lines.

If we're waiting around for the federal government to fund capacity improvements before allowing new development, we'll be waiting a very long time. Unfortunately the country's investment priorities are reactive, not proactive. PATH had to reach crisis levels with the overcrowding before the funding for service improvements were allowed. The service improvements would have never happened had it not been for overcrowding. In other words, there is no chicken or the egg when it comes to transit planning. The density must come first.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize it before but 29 Van Reipen Avenue will be a 744 unit mixed-use building with a decent amount of office and retail space. That's a mammoth amount of units to fit in a 27-storey building.

29 Van Reipen Avenue is one of the Three (or more) Homestead Sisters as I'm going to call them.

26 Cottage

26-28-Van-Reipen-Avenue

33-35 Van Reipen Avenue and 616-618 Pavonia Avenue (Which is across the street from 29 Van Reipen Avenue)

There are all seperate development proposals planned right next to each other, right? That's going to be a crazy amount of density.
Moar

Namdar Now Plans Six High-Rise Projects Around Journal Square

From JerseyDigs.com

https://jerseydigs.com/namdar-group-...e-jersey-city/

Quote:
The fourth phase is expected to involve a 27-story high-rise at 616 and 618 Pavonia Avenue along with 33-35 Van Reipen Avenue, according to the resolution that was approved by the Board of Commissioners last week. This development would reportedly consist of 432 residential units, 1,544 square feet of retail space, 9,981 square feet of “retail services,” 6,480 square feet of “restaurant cafe space,” and 9,985 square feet of office space.

Quote:
Harrington likened the walkway to Stone Street in Manhattan’s Financial District.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 2:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Very nice. A lot of under the radar developments that will add 100's of units.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 3:42 PM

Do we know the timeline for any of these Journal Square projects?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19215 View Post
Do we know the timeline for any of these Journal Square projects?
With the pandemic... who knows.

This at least from Jersey Digs

Quote:
Charles Harrington, the attorney for the developer, told the Board of Commissioners last week that construction has already begun on part of the previously approved project, adding that his client “is eager to hopefully move forward on all of these phases and have a tremendous transformation of that area going forward.”
At least 1 is currently under construction. Why one? I don't know.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:04 PM

26 Cottage Street is the one under construction currently (#1 on the map in your previous post). It started piling a little before the pandemic hit and appears to be continuing to move forward.

These are 2+ year buildings, so perhaps they are betting on a recovery.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 2:40 PM

St. Lucy's Details and Renderings Here:

https://data.jerseycitynj.gov/api/da...on_slides_pdf/

https://data.jerseycitynj.gov/api/da...ial_tower_pdf/

Historic and interior pictures here: http://tfpnj.blogspot.com/2019/08/st-lucys-church.html

23 stories, 245 ft, 444 units.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations