HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 10:35 PM

Huge Jersey City Construction/Projects Update:

I took a walk around Jersey City this past week, tried to get to as many places as possible.

First off, a little map of the projects (green is UC and purple is proposed). Some are definitely missing.

I started out near 18 Park:

Conrad Hotel site

Gulls Cove Phase 2 (no action here)

The current Boys and Girls Club in Jersey City (I think it's actually next to this section). 235 Grand would be further to the right of this photo.

207 Van Vorst - site cleared

Warren@York

102 York (8-story building with ground floor retail)

99 Hudson site (1000 units)

Anyone know what's happening here? (between 1 and 15 Exchange place)

Harborside Plaza 4 Site (another parking lot)

Urban Ready Living site

Second Trump tower site (65 Bay Street - possibly no longer related to trump)

Powerhouse

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 11:02 PM

Continued:

Marbella 2 site

San Remo site. Still a Doubletree parking lot

The Metropolitan - would be built where the Pep Boys is

110 1st Street

111 1st Street site (the Koolhaas one)

148 1st

148 and 110's crane

222 1st

8 Erie (former JC Police headquarters, being converted into 16 rental units, restaurant space and a first floor market)

143 Newark Ave

site of the new Silverman development - around 38 stories (the red building and/or the parking lot surrounding it)

Provost Square - where the third tower will go

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 11:14 PM

Part 3

Provost Square

70-90 Columbus - I think 70 is supposed to rise first

from the PATH Station (Columbus side)

Metropolis towers - doesn't seem like anything happening

Majestic 2 lot

smaller work (257 Grove)

Not quite sure what this is - next to 30 Regent - should be part of Liberty Harbor North - 50 Regent?

18 Park on the way out

210 9th St - 5 stories

Hamilton Square South site

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 2:16 AM

Nice update

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:42 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

delete

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Dec 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM. Reason: edit out

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 5:40 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

JERSEY CITY | Liberty North Harbor Redevelopment Area | FT | 16 FLOORS

NJBIZ:

New Marriott coming to Jersey City, bringing 150 permanent jobs
By Joshua Burd
January 27, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Rendering - (Photo By IBI Group ▪ Gruzen Samton)

Quote:
A new 276-room Marriott hotel is coming to Jersey City, bringing more than 900 construction jobs and more than 150 permanent jobs to the state's second-largest city.

Construction on the project, announced Monday by city officials, will begin in the fourth quarter of this year and will be located in the Liberty North Harbor Redevelopment Area, near Liberty State Park and the Liberty Science Center. The 16-story, full-service hotel will operate under the flagship Marriott Hotels brand and is expected to be similar to the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.

SLHN, an affiliate of Tramz Hotels, is developing the building under a franchise agreement with Marriott International Inc., Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop said in a news release.

"Jersey City is one of the most diverse and dynamic cities in the nation, and the addition of a new, flagship, world-class hotel speaks to the vibrancy of Jersey City to continue to attract development and tourism to our city," Fulop said in a prepared statement. "This project also illustrates our commitment to bringing development off the waterfront and into the city."

The building will be Jersey City's fifth hotel and will add to a stock that is in the spotlight this week. The Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos, who will play Sunday in Super Bowl XLVIII, are staying at the city's Westin and Hyatt hotels for the week leading up to the game at MetLife Stadium.

"We're pleased to work with SLHN to plant the Marriott Hotels flag in Jersey City, a destination that has reinvented itself and is increasingly a center of economic activity, right across the river from downtown New York City," Noah Silverman, Marriott's chief development officer for North America full service hotels, said in a prepared statement. "We look forward to the Jersey City Marriott offering an exciting and relevant new hospitality experience in the city."

The hotel will also include meeting rooms, ballrooms, a restaurant and a rooftop bar/lounge with views of Jersey City and New York City, the news release said.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 3:17 AM

San Remo: 61-floors

Humphreys and Partners

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 11:50 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Anyone have details? The cluster near the tracks is what's left to be built.

Newport, Jersey City:

Original Plan:

The site closest to the tracks (Hoboken):

©Brandon Nagle on UvM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:19 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

JERSEY CITY | St. Peter's University Expansion | 275 FT | 21 FLOORS

NJ:

Jersey City moves forward with St. Peter's University expansion plan
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
on April 09, 2014 at 7:30 AM, updated April 09, 2014 at 9:56 AM

McGinley Square in Jersey City

Quote:
The Jersey City Planning Board voted unanimously last night to recommend amending the McGinley Square East Rehabilitation Area plan to allow Saint Peter’s University to add 100 feet to its planned building there and to include a park in the plan.

“I feel for the people who came here and spoke tonight because, yes they will live in the shadow of this building,” said board member John Seborowski before voting yes. “I don’t know that it is in the best interest of the people who live there, but it sounds like it is a positive for the city.”

The proposed building, to be built across Montgomery Street from the Jersey City Armory, was originally to be 175 feet tall and 17 stories but Saint Peter’s now wants it to be 275 feet with 21 stories.

Numerous residents spoke against the amendment and said they had concerns about the project in general. A handful spoke in favor.

The board’s recommendation must go before the city council. If the council votes to amend, at some point Saint Peter’s will provide a site plan for the building to the planning board for approval. At that time, a far more extensive examination of the proposal will be undertaken, including traffic studies and other issues that will affect residents.

At street level, the building would have 45,000 square feet of retail space, including an organic supermarket, a bank and a fast-food restaurant and other stores. Inside would be a grand lobby for a 13-screen cinema on the second floor. The floors above would include areas of apartments and a dorm area. On the 20th floor would be two penthouse restaurants with 20-foot glass windows facing Manhattan. It would have a rooftop swimming pool, Saint Peters officials said.

The original proposal did not consider the cinema’s 32-foot-high ceiling and the penthouse restaurants’ 20-feet-tall ceilings.

Also, because the $220 million project will include the cost of building a 4-story underground parking deck with more than 700 parking spaces at a cost $40 million, some additional apartments will be added to offset the cost, Saint Peter’s officials said.

They also seek to include a park at the intersection of Montgomery Street and Bergen Avenue. An artist’s rendering of the park was shown, including a lawn, fountain in summer, ice skating rink in the winter.

“This project we are building and a companion project, the park, which the city is building, will be transformational for the area and then the rest of the area will fill in, as well as the corridor on Bergen to Journal Square,” said Michael Fazio, vice president for external affairs for Saint Peter’s, who called the university’s building “the anchor of the redevelopment.”

[...]

An artist's rendering of the building Saint Peter's University is planning at Jersey City's McGinley Square.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:32 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

JERSEY CITY | 25 Senate Place | FT | FLOORS

nj:

Tax abatement allows 2 Jersey City construction projects to move forward
on April 09, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Quote:
A tax abatement approved tonight by the Jersey City City Council will allow two major construction projects to move forward at Journal Square and Downtown.

Scores of union carpenters, electricians, plumbers and other workers were on hand when the council approved the five-year abatement for the proposed 50-story tower to be located at 65 Bay St.

The tower is designed to have 447 units, including retail, and would share the Trump Tower parking deck but add 144 spaces to it.

Council members were adamant that union workers and local workers be employed at the project and a spokesperson for the project said all work at the project will be done by union workers.

“By God we are going to make sure that is enforced and we are going to make sure you get Jersey City people to work here,” said Council President Rolando Lavarro and as the crowd cheered he added the measure passed unanimously.

The council also approved a 20-year abatement for construction of controversial $22 million project at 25 Senate Place which will be a 266-unit residential and retail project.

[...]

The $501 million proposed budget slashes about $14 million from last year’s budget and includes a 2.1 percent tax cut. Last year’s $516 million budget, which was approved in July, included a nearly 8 percent tax hike, that city officials blamed on the previous administration.

City officials said it will be a month or more before a vote on adopting the budget.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 7:18 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Downtown Jersey City Update

70 Columbus

202 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

204 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

209 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

220 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

18Park

199 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

200 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 9:32 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

JERSEY CITY | 160 First St | FT | 14 FLOORS

NJ:

Tale of 2 highrises: One abatement advances, another withdrawn in Jersey City

April 24, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Quote:
The Jersey City City Council voted last night to introduce an ordinance that would grant a 20-year tax abatement for a proposed Downtown building and withdrew an ordinance that would give a 30-year tax abatement for a proposed Journal Square highrise.

The council voted 6-to-3 to introduce an ordinance that would grant a 20-year tax abatement to the developer of a planned 14-story mixed use building at 160 First St. with council members Richard Boggiano, Michael Yun and Joyce Watterman voting against introduction.

The project would consist of 145 market rate condominium units, 14 “moderate and/or workforce affordable units,” about 3,800 square feet of retail space on the ground floor and 64 parking spaces, the ordinance says.

The project received site plan approval from the city Planning Board on Feb. 25.

Under this abatement, the owner would pay 10 percent of the annual income of the property in lieu of taxes and it is estimated that the annual payment would be about $780,000.

The payment in lieu of taxes would increase in stages over the course of the tax exemption, according to the text of the ordinance.

A vote for final passage of the ordinance will be held at a future council meeting.

[...]

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 1:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothalamus View Post
The site closest to the tracks (Hoboken):

©Brandon Nagle on UvM

They need to build a taller version of this in Bk or Queens!

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 5:21 PM

A few new proposals

99 Hudson St.

Hudson Exchange West

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:20 PM

Are people in Jersey City walking around? Every street shot feels devoid of pedestrians.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
Are people in Jersey City walking around? Every street shot feels devoid of pedestrians.
I'm not from Jersey City but I went there a few years ago and there wasn't a whole lot of people walking around. Many of the buildings were built with parking podiums and not retail. But It looks like that has been changing with more recent projects. So with the number of projects that are going up in Jersey City I imagine that there will be quite a bit more foot traffic if there isn't more already.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
They are , but its in the older sections and not the newer sections which have large breaks in the Urban fabric...even though they appear dense. Long Island City and parts of Downtown Brooklyn are the same , newly developed areas are empty while older areas nearby are full.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 8:54 PM

I work on the waterfront. It's a ghost city. Tall skyscrapers set back from the road, each with it's own parking garage bunker base and little plaza, but barely any humans about. Has a real "over developed sim city downtown" feel to it. You'd expect to see a lot more people but you don't.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 11:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Jersey City’s Art House

Quote:
A tipster submitted renderings of Jersey City’s Art House, located at 148 First Street, in the Powerhouse Arts District. The Shuster Group is developing, and Fogarty Finger is the project’s architect.

The Art House will have 119 units, and stands twelve stories tall; the building’s appearance is relatively simple, and the white-brick facade is interspersed with wood paneling. The envelope is flush with the street-wall, and the project is a positive infill development for a neighborhood that is rapidly growing.
====================================
JUNE 23RD 2014
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/06/new...t-house.html/1

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 12:33 AM

Jersey City update

Expansion of the Cast Iron Lofts

70 Columbus

18Park

110 First street

M2

URL Harborside

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations