HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 7:56 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
You've lost sight here Buddy. Los Angeles is not a an enormous, unmanageable, unhealthy, unsafe, environmentally disastrous scar on the face of this earth. If the Denver metro or most major metros were as big as Los Angeles' at their density levels as opposed to Los Angeles' that would be an enormous, unmanageable, unhealthy, unsafe, environmentally disastrous scar on the face of this earth.
Sorry to bring this thread even further off topic, but I have to respond to this.

Which part are you refuting? You provide no evidence to refute. Let's itemize this:

1. LA metro is enormous, sprawling, car-centered. Look at a map. Look out your window. I bet when you end up moving to Portland like the rest of the Whites in CA, you'll notice that they are very manageable. And are doing a fine job of curbing sprawl, keeping up with needed transportation options, and have a progressive plan for the future. So I will have to disagree with you. I believe Denver is in many ways like Portland and I believe they will learn from the mistakes of sprawling metros such as LA. I just wanted to bring light to that.

2. Unmanageable. It is unmanageable because it does not work as a region. It works as separate entities, dozens of areas working against each other instead of as a whole. A good example of a North American city that is doing a good job of working as a region is Toronto. Minneapolis also has regional industry tax sharing.

3. Unhealthy. Every time I stay in LA I wake up in the middle of the night with fits of asthma. And I am a healthy young man. When I blow my nose when I'm there, my snot is brown. Tell me that is healthy.

4. Unsafe. Ok, so the entire region is not "unsafe", so perhaps this one is unfair. But there are some of the most dangerous places in this country in LA County. I don't think I need to cite statistics.

5. Environmentally disastrous. 17 million people (or more?) sprawling over a technically inhabitable dessert, running out of water, landslides, earthquakes, and forest fires ruining homes and infrastructure on a regular basis, and calling for resources from this nation as a whole pretty regularly all so people can live in the sunshine. BTW, the Southwest will never, ever, ever, get water from the Great Lakes. Better start working on cheapening that desalinization process.

These are just the very obvious. I can go into a lot more detail if you'd like.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 9:04 PM
Stay Thirsty.

All intersting points. However, as a Denverite and having been to many cities such as LA, NYC, etc, I can tell you we will in NO WAY ever become the messes they are environmentally, population-wise, or anything else. Thankfully we are light years ahead of most american cities when it comes to mass transit. Denver will have, by 2015 (Fastracks), more than half a dozen rail lines spanning over 200 miles of track across the entire metro, from Boulder to DIA and Longmont to Lone Tree. As it is right now we have seen a drastic increase in RTD ridership because of the popularity of the TREX project, and many people are commuting instead of drving despite I-25 now being 12 lanes wide. Also, we have a bit of luck on our side as infill is our primary growth at the moment. The closing of Stapleton has left a grand swath of land within the Denver urban core, and much of Denver's growth is attributed to the building in this zone, which is urban focused in nature (NOT houses or Pleasant Valley Sunday, but row houses and condos with commercial centers footsteps away, and in some cases even mixed).

Furthermore, despite seeing phenomincal growth in the North Metro regions (Greeley, Erie, Dacono, etc) the suburbs are much more meticulously planned to incorporate denser projects as well. Rather than slap down a plethora of winding cul-de-sacs and 1.5 acre yards, the neighborhoods have almost regressed to a gridlike system, and as said earlier, houses are smaller, closer, or in many cases, attached like in a rowhouse close to commercial zones. This is not to say that the classic suburbia is not also being built, but at least there is consideration of other building alternatives so that buildings don't gobble up land like weeds.

So long as Denver continues to emphasize 'core living', dense development, and keeps its head poised forward into the future on the matters of transportation (not 16 lane freeways) and water, we will do fine.

If you have any concern of sprawl, my only concern is Aurora . The beltway doens't slow IT down, that's for sure. Anyone from Denver wish to chime in on Aurora's case?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 9:36 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRey View Post
All intersting points. However, as a Denverite and having been to many cities such as LA, NYC, etc, I can tell you we will in NO WAY ever become the messes they are environmentally, population-wise, or anything else. Thankfully we are light years ahead of most american cities when it comes to mass transit. Denver will have, by 2015 (Fastracks), more than half a dozen rail lines spanning over 200 miles of track across the entire metro, from Boulder to DIA and Longmont to Lone Tree. As it is right now we have seen a drastic increase in RTD ridership because of the popularity of the TREX project, and many people are commuting instead of drving despite I-25 now being 12 lanes wide. Also, we have a bit of luck on our side as infill is our primary growth at the moment. The closing of Stapleton has left a grand swath of land within the Denver urban core, and much of Denver's growth is attributed to the building in this zone, which is urban focused in nature (NOT houses or Pleasant Valley Sunday, but row houses and condos with commercial centers footsteps away, and in some cases even mixed).

Furthermore, despite seeing phenomincal growth in the North Metro regions (Greeley, Erie, Dacono, etc) the suburbs are much more meticulously planned to incorporate denser projects as well. Rather than slap down a plethora of winding cul-de-sacs and 1.5 acre yards, the neighborhoods have almost regressed to a gridlike system, and as said earlier, houses are smaller, closer, or in many cases, attached like in a rowhouse close to commercial zones. This is not to say that the classic suburbia is not also being built, but at least there is consideration of other building alternatives so that buildings don't gobble up land like weeds.

So long as Denver continues to emphasize 'core living', dense development, and keeps its head poised forward into the future on the matters of transportation (not 16 lane freeways) and water, we will do fine.

If you have any concern of sprawl, my only concern is Aurora . The beltway doens't slow IT down, that's for sure. Anyone from Denver wish to chime in on Aurora's case?
Thanks for taking the time to comment, and I think you make very valid points. I wasn't trying to sound alarmist at all; this started out as a question of whether or not it is sustainable.

I think it's great that a metro of its size are working toward viable transportation options, with great in fill projects in the works. I need to educate myself further on the rail plan that is happening there, and the area in general. I work in community development and this is the only reason I have such a critical eye. I'd like to visit again soon and have a tour of the place.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 2:14 AM
no its not...

Good job there FrancoRey...laying it all out in a meaningful way. You described it...just as it is. Right on the mark.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 4:11 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Sorry to bring this thread even further off topic, but I have to respond to this.

Which part are you refuting? You provide no evidence to refute. Let's itemize this:

1. LA metro is enormous, sprawling, car-centered. Look at a map. Look out your window. I bet when you end up moving to Portland like the rest of the Whites in CA, you'll notice that they are very manageable. And are doing a fine job of curbing sprawl, keeping up with needed transportation options, and have a progressive plan for the future. So I will have to disagree with you. I believe Denver is in many ways like Portland and I believe they will learn from the mistakes of sprawling metros such as LA. I just wanted to bring light to that.

2. Unmanageable. It is unmanageable because it does not work as a region. It works as separate entities, dozens of areas working against each other instead of as a whole. A good example of a North American city that is doing a good job of working as a region is Toronto. Minneapolis also has regional industry tax sharing.

3. Unhealthy. Every time I stay in LA I wake up in the middle of the night with fits of asthma. And I am a healthy young man. When I blow my nose when I'm there, my snot is brown. Tell me that is healthy.

4. Unsafe. Ok, so the entire region is not "unsafe", so perhaps this one is unfair. But there are some of the most dangerous places in this country in LA County. I don't think I need to cite statistics.

5. Environmentally disastrous. 17 million people (or more?) sprawling over a technically inhabitable dessert, running out of water, landslides, earthquakes, and forest fires ruining homes and infrastructure on a regular basis, and calling for resources from this nation as a whole pretty regularly all so people can live in the sunshine. BTW, the Southwest will never, ever, ever, get water from the Great Lakes. Better start working on cheapening that desalinization process.

These are just the very obvious. I can go into a lot more detail if you'd like.
1. LA metro is enormous, sprawling
Denver Metro for its population and urbanized land sprawls much farther and at a much much lower density than LA so you tell me how that can be better or more responsible?

By 1990, Los Angeles was the most densely populated Urbanized Area in America. No other urban area provided so little land per resident. http://www.sprawlcity.org/losangeles.html

Also, living in this environment we do not heat or cool our homes at the rate you do most everwhere else in the country leaving far less a carbon imprint.

I believe Denver is in many ways like Portland and I believe they will learn from the mistakes of sprawling metros such as LA. Since these cities sprawl more (fewer persons per square mile in the built out environment) than Los Angeles I guess these cities can learn a thing or two from Los Angeles as Los Angeles can learn a thing or two from Denver and Portland.

2. UnmanageableI recall Denver had business parks all over the city from Boulder to the Denver Tech Center, to the huge hospital complex out in Aurora. What about the sprawling office parks going up the Boulder Turnpike?

Regardless, I do agree Denver is ahead leaps and bounds over Los Angeles with its forward thinking transit system yet let's not lose site that Los Angeles operates over 2000 buses in a 1,433-square-mile service area, has over 73 miles of rail service with 62 stations with more miles and stations being built:

Total Metro Bus and Rail Ridership

Estimates as of Dec. 2007

Average Weekday Boardings

Average Saturday Boardings

Average Sunday Boardings

http://www.metro.net/news_info/facts.htm

Of course LA has commuter rail too with Metro Link with an additional 54 stations and over 500 miles of coverage.
http://www.metrolinktrains.com/about/?id=6

3. Unhealthy.Denver Like LA has similar inversion issues yet cars run more efficiently here in LA than in Denver with CA having the toughest emission standards in the country. Again you tell me what Denver would be like at the same size as LA and what the pollution would be like in Denver with just as many cars on the road. Please don't forget the burden of providing this nation with the biggest combined Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach contributing to emissions.

4. Unsafe.Do yourself a favor and research where Los Angeles ranks on crime statistics in the US. You'll find this very topic in the city discussion section.

5. Environmentally disastrous. Denver and Los Angeles receive about the same amount of rain per year. DWP is doing just fine here in Los Angeles... of course you yourself called it inhabitable when most likely you meant unihabitable in all that rhehtoric. Denver, being in the State of Colorado has the same water issues that CA does. The city of Los Angeles gets its water from the city owned Department of Water and Power and gets its water primarily from the Sierra Nevada. We're not running out of water and besides, the Rocky Mountains are no less if not more susceptible to drought.

Bottom line, if you want to be critical of a city for its perceived lackings when comparing it to Denver Los Angeles is a bad choice. Perhaps a more apt comparrison would be Phoenix.

To get back on topic:

Denver has a lot of really cool exciting projects going on and it clearly is a progressive forward thinking beautiful city. I bet it's going to look great and will be showcased nicely at the Democratic Convention.

Last edited by dktshb; Feb 24, 2008 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 12:37 AM
Robotic Construction

I'm not sure where the vs. LA came into play here, but lets not go that direction with this thread. There is a point I'd like to make though, when talking about population density. One Third of Denver's land mass is Denver international Airport and is unpopulated.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 1:49 AM
Administrator

Let's return to the thread's topic, which is about tracking vertical development in Denver.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 2:04 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
I'm not sure where the vs. LA came into play here, but lets not go that direction with this thread. There is a point I'd like to make though, when talking about population density. One Third of Denver's land mass is Denver international Airport and is unpopulated.
Personally I factor that in when the topic is Denver's density. Basically it's around 5,000/sm if you don't include the airport. In other words, average for a US city.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 2:15 AM
Administrator

Let's return to the thread's topic, which is about tracking vertical development in Denver.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 5:58 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Walked in LoDo today...everything is moving nicely. 1515 Wynkoop is finally getting vertical. And at 1900 16th the foundation is gonna be poured anyday now. If I could just get my damn pics off of my camera, but I can't find my USB cable.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 9:10 AM
Robotic Construction

It's officially a green light on the 43-story, Two Tabor Center! Denver's skyscraper boom continues with this Class AA, 43-story, 837,000 sf office building!

Two Tabor Center should begin construction by June or July and join the 32-story One Lincoln Park (residential), 41-story Spire (residential), and 45-story Four Seasons Hotel & Residence, as under-construction. The 51-story 1401 Lawrence (residential) is scheduled to join that list and begin construction by December of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanIt View Post
Looks like the rumors are true. Check it. From livedowntowndenver.com/blog

According to the February 20th edition of the Colorado Real Estate Journal (CREJ), “Two Tabor” - the long awaited second building at the Tabor Center - still has a green light to commence construction. Bill Tresham, Partner and COO, with Callahan Capital Partners out of Chicago wrote the article titled “CBD office: all the right stuff“. I last wrote about this project in my August 2007 post.

Since that post and the Rocky Mountain News Article a few things have changed. First of all, the project’s name is officially now “Two Tabor”, up until now I referred to as Tabor II. Additionally, the Class AA tower will now be 43 stories tall (previously it was listed on Callahan’s website as 38) and have a total of 837,000 sf of leasable space. Denver Infill has also blogged about this project, most recently in Ken’s January 9th posting. I expect the renderings he pulled from Callahan’s website to be pretty close to what is built given the timeframe outlined in the CREJ article.

According to this article construction should begin soon and 2010 is the targeted completion date. As was mentioned in my previous post the foundation was poured 20 years ago which will allow this project to show visible vertical progress almost from day one. While it was expected that this project was a go, it was great to read that it was moving forward after no official word for almost six months. I am even more excited than I was in August because it appears that the tower is still going to be designed by Kohn Pederson Fox (KPF) and is even taller than before!

I really hope this rejuvenates this part of Downtown - especially the ground floor retail along the 16th Street Mall - which besides the Cheesecake Factory has struggled in recent months. I am not sure if the internal retail space on the second and third floors will really benefit or not since they have never recovered from the massive renovation that took place a few years ago.

I remember when the Tabor Center Food Court was voted the best in all of Downtown and was mobbed every lunch hour. I also remember the fountains, glass elevators and atrium space that was really beautiful as well. It is amazing to think that at one time the Tabor Center had both Brooks Brothers and the Sharper Image as tenants including a great independent toy store. Well that was the past and Two Tabor represents the future. I really look forward to this project joining SPIRE, Four Seasons and 1401 Lawrence in transforming Downtown Denver’s skyline.
-Two Tabor Center:
Tabor I was built in the late 1980's and the foundation for "Two Tabor Center" was also poured. Now, finally a building is going to be built on that foundation! This project has been increased from 38-stories (514' tall) to 43-stories (~612' tall) and seems to be a green light for starting sometime in 2008. ***Visit This Projects Website, Click Here!***
BUILDING FACTS:
Class: “AA”
Building Size: up to 837,000 SF
Typical Floor Plate: 20,000
No. of Floors: 43 stories - ~612' tall
Completion Date: 2010 (2008 Start Date)
Architect: Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates
Parking: 1/1000
LEED Certified

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 7:11 PM
Stay Thirsty.

By FAR my favorite Denver project. May it rise in the very near future!!!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 1:25 AM
Robotic Construction

I dare to say it could be a new signature tower for Denver. It may only be 43-stories and about 612' tall, but it's on the opposite end of downtown from Denver's big three. Two Tabor center will rise above a sea of 20-30 story buildings.

Nearby, also on this end of downtown are the Four Seasons (640'-10") and 1401 Lawrence (587'-3") projects in addition to Two Tabor Center (612').

Denver's existing Big three are on the opposite side of downtown and are as follows; Republic Plaza (714' roof), 1801 California (709' roof - 738' Antenna), Wells Fargo Center (699' roof - 705' Antenna). So the new big three will almost mirror the existing big three in the skyline.

Then there is the standalone 1999 Broadway (545' roof) built in 1985 being mirrored on the opposite end of downtown by the Spire (525' spire) as dominant medium size skyscrapers in Denver's skyline.

In other words, Denver's top 4 tallest buildings are getting counterparts built opposite to them in downtown. Denver's 4-tallest will soon become Denver's 8-tallest. Denver is doubling it's number of 500+ footers!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 8:12 AM
Robotic Construction

The Dirt did a great job with this photo shoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
I finally made my way downtown to snap some photos today, and it was just the perfect weather for it.

I couldn't get a good shot of the Four Seasons due to active construction, so the first stop is the Spire:

Next up is the empty lot across the street where the Embassy/Homewood Suites should go up:

Looks like One Lincoln Park is finishing up quite nicely:

Here's the site where Two Tabor will sit:

Nothing going on at 1800 Market, but there was a little bit of activity at the 1800 Larimer site. Looks like some Xcel guys were out:

The Sugar3 building is looking nice:

I'm not sure why I don't hear more about 1515 Wynkoop:

There's plenty of stuff going on at 1900 16th:

Finally, 1400 Wewatta looks massive up close:

...and some random downtown shots for good measure:

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 8:33 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Man there is a lot of exciting stuff being built in Denver! Thanks for the photos snyder Bock! I really like to keep up on all the new development in the city.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 10:29 PM
Robotic Construction

Thank The Dirt for taking the time to go take these photos and post them on here for all of us to enjoy! There sure is a full blown boom going on in Denver. Denver might be the only thing keeping this country out of recession! lol... ;-) jk

Here is another update by bunt_q showing Four Seasons and a good crane shot of what's going on in Denver:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Well here, I'll add the Four Seasons in from yesterday since you didn't include that one Lighting was terrible (late afternoon). But yeah, top of the DCPA parking garage - can't beat it these days.

Last edited by SnyderBock; Mar 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 1:40 PM
Robotic Construction

Now here is a special treat from KidKonza!! He always does a complete and detailed rundown of everything being built in central Denver. Notice he does the crane count for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidKonza View Post
Because the weather was so nice yesterday, I couldn't help but go for a loooong bike ride. Now maybe I can get to some of that homework.

I've made a couple changes since the last update. The March '08 photos are larger, while previous photos (December, September, and June '07) are smaller and set off to the side. As long as the project remains under construction, I will continue to post updates along with all previous updates as a sort of reference to progress made.

Pearl Street Victoriana (Complete)

Quality Hill Townes

816 Acoma

Lincoln Terrace *Crane 1*

Vectra Bank Branch (Complete)

220 Clayton

Shops at NorthCreek

NorthCreek Brownstones

One Fillmore Place (Complete)

Gates Tennis Facility (Complete)

Monroe Pointe (Complete)

150 Madison (Complete)

Cherry Creek Trails *Crane 2*

100 Jackson (Complete)

Colorado Commons *Crane 3*

Pinnacle at City Park - Tower 2 *Crane 4*

Pending St. Charles Town Company Project

Former Children's Hospital Redevelopment

Uptown Apartments

One Lincoln Park *Crane 5*

East Village Block 3

Welton Place

2428 Champa

2999 Lawrence (Complete)

Fire Clay Lofts - Phase IV

Broadstone Lofts *Crane 6*

Zi Lofts

1755 Blake *Crane 7*

1800 Larimer

1001 17th Renovations

Spire *Crane 8*

Four Seasons Hotel & Residences *Crane 9*

Sugar Cube

1400 Wewatta *Crane 10*

1515 Wynkoop *Crane 11*

1900 16th *Cranes 12 & 13*

Park at One Riverfront (Complete)

Highland Bridge Lofts (Complete)

Auraria Science Building

Denver Justice Center *Cranes 14, 15 & 16*

1200 Elati

1200 Delaware (Complete)

Look for the next series in June.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 3:32 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Thanks for the photo update! I need to get out to Denver again some time.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 8:42 PM
no its not...

Fantastic new pics and updates!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 12:02 AM
Robotic Construction

Well, 1401 Lawrence seems to moving along with pre-sales and is still hoping to meet it's pre-sale obligations by June/July. I'm going to guess for a groundbreaking between the last week of August and two weeks into September. Lets go between August 24th and September 14th as a likely groundbreaking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations