HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 10:07 PM
Dérive-r

Here are a few pics from Sunday of the city u/c...

Olympic Village

Wall Centre False Creek site

The Foundry

Several International Village/Downtown Eastside projects

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 8:50 PM
Dérive-r

Here is a huge pano showing off downtown Vancouver and environs (sorry about the watermarks):

Click for larger version

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 7:33 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Just a friendly heads-up, Vancouverites, from someone with firsthand experience... Savor EVERY SINGLE MOMENT of your Olympic Glory. It is TRULY an amazing, surreal, life-changing event that you will never want to forget and will treasure for all time. It is perhaps the proudest, most sublime moment a host city could ever hope to have.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 1:31 AM
Dérive-r

^On that note, here is an update to some Olympic venue construction. Richmond Olympic Oval now open:

From Global Air Photos and originally posted by officedweller

Pictures from flickr and originally posted by mr.x2:

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 10:56 PM

I totally love Vancouver and I was very excited to see everything that was being built last time I visited (in 2005). I stayed at the Opus Hotel, and although I had heard some people dismissing the whole Yaletown area as a yuppy condo-land, I rather liked the atmosphere of the place, with its shops and cafés. It was admitedly not a heart-stopping place and at some points it looked rather bland. I was wondering about those other developments in the Northern part of the downtown peninsula, around Coal Harbour and West Georgia Street. I remember that despite it being a pretty nice day, the area was pretty dead and no one seemed to be out and about. Has that changed? Construction has continued and I was wondering if any of those places had actually turned the area into a place where people would actually want to hang out in... Or are those condos just speculative investment for real-estate developers and inhabited just a few weeks of every year, if at all?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 11:14 PM

^^^ its picking up a little - there is now a grocery store - urban fare - which has brought some life to the area, the restaurant at the park is always packed in the summer, i can't remember 2005 things change so fast - overall its still pretty quiet but the seawall is the busiest

a little further up from there is more retail like shoppers drug mart so that too adds to pedestrian activity

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
Here is a huge pano showing off downtown Vancouver and environs (sorry about the watermarks):

Click for larger version
looks like the view from Baltars house in Battlestar Galactica

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 8:16 AM
Dérive-r

^Well that is filmed in Vancouver so it very well could be his view.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 8:23 AM
Dérive-r

Here are a few construction-related photos I took today:

The Foundry now nearing completion with The Exchange rising next to it (with the crane):

Olympic Village coming along:

The Erickson rising:

Espana towers (nearer) with Woodward's towers (behind) still coming along:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 9:27 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljuarez View Post
I was wondering about those other developments in the Northern part of the downtown peninsula, around Coal Harbour and West Georgia Street. I remember that despite it being a pretty nice day, the area was pretty dead and no one seemed to be out and about. Has that changed? Construction has continued and I was wondering if any of those places had actually turned the area into a place where people would actually want to hang out in...
The area around Coal Harbour and West Georgia (also known as Triangle West) has come along nicely since 2005. There were many towers u/c (or about to be started) in the area back then and they've all topped out now and some are now occupied and some are not quite there but very close. Pedestrian activity has definitely picked up in the area, though there is certainly still room for improvement. The retail density in the area has really improved but there are still a good 10 or so recently completed retail spaces spread around a few new buildings that have yet to find tenants.

These are some of the buildings in the area you've mentioned that have been completed since 2005 or are near completion (all pics by me unless otherwise stated):

Harbour Green 2 (white tower in foreground):

Coast Hotel (u/c building to the left) and The Melville (building with pointy sail):

The Shangri-La (tall angular building down the street):

Cielo:

The Loden Hotel:

by vacantready at flickr.com

The Ritz (u/c building in centre) and The Flatiron (u/c building to right) - both are topped out currently and very near residential/retail occupancy (also visible are the Melville with the sail and the Shangri-La u/c behind):

The Sapphire (now completed)

The newer retail establishments that have setup shop in the last year or so in the area include (off the top of my head) the Urban Fare grocery store (bottom of Cielo), a Shopper's Drug Mart (bottom of The Ritz), Waves coffee shop (bottom of Sapphire), Starbucks (bottom of The Melville), a car rental place (bottom of the Melville), a sushi place (bottom of the Melville), and a salad-based lunch place (bottom of the Melville). And also a bank in the bottom of an older office building across the street from the Flatiron. There is also a new restaurant in the new Loden Hotel that just opened as well. There is also a Burberry and a second new Urban Fare grocery store in the base of the Shangri-La on Georgia Street. It is not quite finished yet so soon there will be a few other places opening in the base including a restaurant and a sculpture garden.

Retail pics:

Shopper's visible on right with (barely visible) Waves coffee on other corner

Base of the Melville:

by vacantready at flickr.com

Urban Fare at Cielo:

by freedryk at flickr.com

Urban Fare in base of Shangri-La:

by caveat.doctor at flickr.com

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 9:40 AM
Dérive-r

The busiest pedestrian areas around there are definitely along the seawall and around Harbour Green Park on Coal Harbour's waterfront, especially in the summer. These are some pics from spring/summer 2006 and 2007:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:00 PM

Wow,you Guys Got A Lot Of Snow This Year,city Look Great Though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:07 PM
Urban Explorer

Hey everyone - long-time poster in the Philadelphia and Atlanta forums, but never ventured farther north....

I was wondering if someone could give me the names of some of Vancouver's larger development firms (or the ones engaged in all the projects I saw going through this thread). I'm looking for a job and would love to call Vancouver home for a little while. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 6:57 PM
Dérive-r

^Well I'll do the best I can to name a few off the top of my head.

Polygon
Amacon
Concord Pacific
Concert Properties
Henderson
Bastion
Bosa
Cressey
Millennium

These are certainly some of the larger ones whose names get tossed around, though the list is by no means exhaustible. A good Vancouver forumer to get in contact with over such matters is jlousa. He's definitely well involved in the industry, though I'm not entirely sure to what capacity. He's very knowledgeable on such matters.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 12:41 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
^Well I'll do the best I can to name a few off the top of my head.

Polygon
Amacon
Concord Pacific
Concert Properties
Henderson
Bastion
Bosa
Cressey
Millennium

These are certainly some of the larger ones whose names get tossed around, though the list is by no means exhaustible. A good Vancouver forumer to get in contact with over such matters is jlousa. He's definitely well involved in the industry, though I'm not entirely sure to what capacity. He's very knowledgeable on such matters.

Hello raggedy,

As a Vancouverite myself, I do agree that these are the most well-known ones around here. These are great builders of the Metro Vancouver Area and they do have a lot of projects going on at the same time. Another one I know very well is "ADERA"....do you know that one. I've been to a lot of their developments. Also, "ASPAC" should be on your list too! That was the one who planned the Coal Harbour 15 years ago...now Vancouver Waterfront is a great place with awesome buildings. I think that is the company who did "2 Harbour Green"...I just visited that place a week ago. And now they are going to Richmond Oval and develop that waterfront community. It's called the "River Green"....I should start a thread on that.

Thanks for you pics! They are always so familiar to me.

Take care,
Allen

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Last edited by metroXpress; Jan 23, 2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Additional information

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 3:04 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Here are some photos of the Vancouver Convention and Exhibition Center taken by me. It is the expansion projet. Haven't seen updates on that yet.

Here's the model @ Canada Place

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 4:08 AM

In Vancouver in 2 weeks

Sorry for the OT post, but I will be returning to Vancouver for the first time in a couple of years. I have been out of touch and many of my local friends have relocated, gotten married or in general do not venture out much. I was hoping some kind Vancouverites would PM som nice suggestions of places to go out and enjoy the town. I will be staying in Coal Harbour.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:24 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergie View Post
Sorry for the OT post, but I will be returning to Vancouver for the first time in a couple of years. I have been out of touch and many of my local friends have relocated, gotten married or in general do not venture out much. I was hoping some kind Vancouverites would PM som nice suggestions of places to go out and enjoy the town. I will be staying in Coal Harbour.
Hello nergie,

I am a local Vancouverite here and I would be glad to suggest you some places to go while you are in town. There are of course, lots of different constructions going on right now because we are getting ready for the 2010 Olympics. You might want to consider the following:

1. Count down to the Olympics at Robson Square

2. Take a walk around Coal Harbour

3. Visit Stanley Park

There are of course more places to go and I'll get more information for you.
Do you want it through PM? Tell me some things that you would like to see....for example which type of attractions?

Take care,
Allen

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Hello nergie,

I am a local Vancouverite here and I would be glad to suggest you some places to go while you are in town. There are of course, lots of different constructions going on right now because we are getting ready for the 2010 Olympics. You might want to consider the following:

1. Count down to the Olympics at Robson Square

2. Take a walk around Coal Harbour

3. Visit Stanley Park

There are of course more places to go and I'll get more information for you.
Do you want it through PM? Tell me some things that you would like to see....for example which type of attractions?

Take care,
Allen
Allen,

Thanks for the help, please PM. I don't want the moderator to think I have hijacked the thread.

Cheers

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 5:06 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

OK...I did recieve your PM....and replied you.

Thank you too!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations