HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 7:28 PM

more pics please

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 3:37 AM

Last edited by skeeterific53; Jan 12, 2022 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 2:37 AM
Thread Killa'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffaso View Post
Cool video, those renderings look really good indeed (Wachovia is going to really stretch the skyline out). BTW, I've been wondering about something as I have read through this and other Charlotte threads. Why is the Charlotte CBD area referred to as "uptown" instead of "downtown"? Does "uptown" include more than the CBD? Just curious about that as I am trying to learn more about your beautiful city.
Charlotte's downtown is literally at the top of a hill. It's first streetcar suburb, Dilworth, was down the hill from down town and residents would literally say they were going "up-town."

The phrase fell out of favor and then was resurrected in the 1980's as a marketing ploy. The phrase uptown and downtown in Charlotte are one in the same, they are interchangeable and refer to the CBD inside the 277 loop.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 6:45 PM
Squint Like Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillJames View Post
Charlotte's downtown is literally at the top of a hill. It's first streetcar suburb, Dilworth, was down the hill from down town and residents would literally say they were going "up-town."

The phrase fell out of favor and then was resurrected in the 1980's as a marketing ploy. The phrase uptown and downtown in Charlotte are one in the same, they are interchangeable and refer to the CBD inside the 277 loop.
Thanks for the info. The more I learn about Charlotte the more I like it. It seems like a lot of good things are going on there, such as the huge amount of residential projects UC or proposed in the uptown area (more density). Plus that new light rail line the city recently added is a huge plus. The area is obviously very beautiful (lots of trees, etc.) and I've also heard from various people that Charlotte is a really cool place to live too so maybe I'll get a chance to check it out myself someday!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 1:34 AM

Does anyone have any recent pics of the Vue? A couple of weeks ago, the crane was supposed to have been installed. It should begin to be going vertical soon. Are there any webcams that you know of that will document the progress on this magnificent addition to the Queen City's growing skyline?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 12:39 AM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 12:43 AM

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 4:09 AM
Oak City

Update 7-12-08

First, the bad news. The 44 floor 210 Trade condo tower that was supposed to be built on top of the 5 floor Epicenter retail/entertainment complex is on hold indefinitely, and most likely canceled.

The issue came from a lawsuit between the developer of Epicenter and the developer of 210 Trade: Ghazi, Flaherty battle in court; contractors stuck with unpaid bills

The good news: a new active proposal and two more buildings have broken ground.

Sierra Hotel
16 floor hotel to be built on a small parcel of land directly next to the Bobcats Area (now called Time Warner Cable Arena). It will feature 163 suites and is supposed to break ground this summer.

Center City Green
Located adjacent to light rail and the arena. 12 stories with 88 condos and 1,400 parking spaces. Ground level retail will include a farmer's market and restaurant. Seeking LEED Silver Certification, developed by Spectrum properties. The view from the arena:

Utilities and site work are under way (view opposite of the rendering)

In addition, the Novare 16 floor office tower has broken ground, and the planned UNCC uptown building was initially planned to be around 5 floors but word now is that they are looking at building a modern tower at least 10 floors and possibly 13 to 15 floors. Now, a rundown as of 7-12-08:

48 floor Wachovia tower & cultural campus:

From across I-277

African-American Cultural Center

From the back

The Knight Theater

Betchler Museum with the Knight Theater behind it.

Novare Projects:

The 27 floor Catalyst condos are in the center of this rendering. Just in front of Catalyst is the parking deck. Just to the right of Catalyst is the slightly shorter 16 floor office tower which has broken ground. Just to the left of Catalyst is the 33-35 floor Twelve, which is still planned to break ground next year. It will be similar in design to Atlanta's TWELVE Atlantic Station and contain 400 condominium units atop 150 hotel suites.This rendering also shows the location of the proposed baseball stadium, and the Wachovia tower and condo tower. Just past the right foul poll of the baseball stadium is the proposed 3rd Ward Park.

A couple more renderings with the office tower in front:

Photos 7-12-08:

The 16 floor office building will be located here in front of Catalyst.

From the same spot, looking a little to the left you can see park of the office building lot and the parking deck.

50 floor Vue

50 floor condo tower has finished foundation work and is going vertical after a crane was erected a few weeks ago:

32 floor Bank of America & 17 floor Ritz-Carlton:

It seems like the Ritz-Carlton as topped out, but the Bank of America tower still isn't above ground yet.

The BofA tower is still the giant hole in the foreground:

NASCAR Tower and Hall of Fame

Looks like the tower has topped out.

Epicenter/Aloft Hotel

The Aloft Hotel portion of the Epicenter development has topped out.

Royal Court

This project is located just outside the I-277 loop. This view of it is from the Stonewall light rail station:

Garrison Lofts

Located just inside the I-277 loop, this is a capture from the Oxblue construction webcam:

This covers most of major projects underway in uptown, but there are quite a few lowrise projects going on. The 21-floor Park condo tower is still on hold; it is uncertain when it will be finished, and by whom. There are still a few proposals that thankfully haven been canceled yet due to the economic situation.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 6:34 PM

Last edited by skeeterific53; Jan 12, 2022 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 7:21 PM
Squint Like Clint

Thanks for the updates. Looks like things are progressing nicely. I like the design on the Twelve hotel/condo tower. From the rendering above it looks like it may have been redesigned a little?? Maybe it's just the angle but it looks a little different from the last rendering I saw for some reason. Either way, I like it. I'm sorry to hear about 210 Trade, although from the sound of things I guess that was inevitable. I really liked the design on that one too but, oh well, there's plenty of other nice projects underway (Vue, Wachovia, etc.)

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 2:51 AM

great pics

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 7:20 PM
Oak City

Southend Update - 7/24/08

A quick update on what's going on in the Southend area, which is located around the light rail line just south of center city.

Harris Development at 1200 South Blvd.

City council approved a zoning change that raised the height limit from 120 feet to 230 feet so this project can move ahead. From the developer's website: Large mixed-use project to include +/- 200,000 sf of office, a 150-200 room boutique hotel, +/- 40,000 sf retail, and possibly 250 residential units. Parking would be provided by a 1,000 space parking deck with 1 or 2 restaurants on site. Site is located in Southend immediately adjacent to the CBD at 1200 South Boulevard and consists of 2.44 acres. Site is adjacent to the Carson Street Light Rail Station which is 1/4 mile from the convention center.

This rendering is looking south, away from uptown. South Blvd. is on the left of the site, and the light rail line is on the right:

This rendering shows the Arlington condo tower (aka the Pink Building) just behind the development. The office portion will be over 200 feet and the hotel around 180 feet:

The site is currently occupied by the old Simpson Lighting building:

This photo shows the location of the Arlington (pink) condo tower. The Harris development will be behind and to the left of this tower, along the light rail tracks:

Millenium

Looking at the above photo, this project is under construction just to the left of the tracks, across from the pink tower. This development will feature 272 apartments.

Recent construction photos:

You can see where the site is by the yellow construction equipment in this photo:

Circle

This is a controversial "commie block" appartment development under construction. No renderings have been released by Crescent. Some photos:

Ashton Southend (101 Tremont)

This development will feature retail and over 300 apartments, and is located just south of the other projects along the light rail line.

There are several more low and midrise projects going on a little more south down the light rail line.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 6:25 AM

awesome pics. please share more.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 6:56 PM
Jax,Fl,USA

Any news on the condo portion of the Wachovia project?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 8:40 PM
Oak City

Small update 8/2/08

Here is a photo from the Charlotte Observer. It was taken from the top of the Catalyst condo tower and shows the Wachovia tower and arts complex.

Here is the article, which talks about how funding is secure for the arts projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT View Post
Any news on the condo portion of the Wachovia project?
Officially, there has been no word on it not happening or being scaled back in any way.

View from in front of Bank of America Stadium:

This view from across S. Tryon St. shows the Betchler Art Museum. It feels pretty massive from a pedestrian standpoint. For a sense of scale, you can see the construction trailer in front of it. Here you can see the terra cotta siding going up. It is rumored that the art collection is going to be very impressive.

Also, I'm updating the thread on the Wachovia tower with new renderings and photos.

The Novare Catalyst condo tower has topped out, and work has begun on Novare's 15-16 floor office building, which will fill the gap seen here between Catalyst and Wachovia:

Here is the lot of the 15-16 floor office building. Concrete caissons are in the process of being drilled and poured right now.

Here you can also see the new parking deck for the condo & office building on the left.

On Saturday, a second tower crane was erected for the Vue:

A look at the Vue site late Saturday afternoon:

Looking at the NASCAR tower from The Green, a small park in front of the convention center:

Looking at the new Aloft hotel from the intersection of Trade and Tryon:

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 8:51 PM
Jax,Fl,USA

Great pics initiald!
Thanks for the info.
I'll be following this one.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 1:30 AM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT View Post

Great pics initiald!
Thanks for the info.
I'll be following this one.
Thanks. I'll keep you updated.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 12:52 AM

superb pics; can't get enough

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 1:20 AM
Oak City

NoDa construction

The NoDa area of Charlotte is seeing some mixed-use and residential construction ahead of the opening of the new Northeast Blue Line light rail extension in a couple of years. Two main projects are:

Fat City Lofts

Mercury NoDa
This will occupy some vacant lots in the heart of NoDa. View from North Davidson St.:

Down in Southend, here is a rendering of a future phase of Silos at Southend, located along the light rail line:

The current under construction phase of Silos:

A new rendering of Circle at Southend. In some of my previous posts I've posted photos of what has been called the "commie block" apartments because this has been well under construction for a while and no renderings had been released. Eh, it doesn't look as bad as was first expected:

A couple more construction photos:

Glass is going up fast on the Ritz-Carlton hotel uptown. The new 32 floor Bank of America tower will be located to the left of this, and will hopefully be above ground level soon.

Over in 4th Ward, Garrison Lofts has topped out.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 8:24 PM
Oak City

1 Bank of America Center

New information has been coming out about Bank of America's new under-construction skyscraper in Charlotte. The office tower is part of a development along with an adjoining Ritz-Carlton hotel tower. Now that the hotel tower has topped out, progress is expected to speed up on the office tower as it is approaching being above ground level soon. What we now know officially about the tower:

LEED: Seeking LEED Gold certification. This includeds sustainable construction practices and green roofs, rainwater/groundwater collection, low flow fixtures, bicycle racks, showers, and lockers. Sky gardens will adjoin office floors at every 3rd level and the office tower and hotel will be linked by a transparent urban garden.

Type: Class A Office
Height: 30 stories tall
Expected completion: Q2 of 2010
Parking: 1 / 1000
RBA: 750,000 SF
Typical floor: 30,000 SF
Total Office Available: 267,427 RSF
Total Retail Available: 16,753 USF
Percent Leased: 64.34%

There is a new website up for the project, and features a fly-though of the renderings: http://www.1bankofamericacenter.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations