HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Do it all, and then some. Sucks that we can't pedestrianize the entire Quarter, but the city really doesn't have the transit system in place to let residents live their lives without cars.

I agree Orleans is a weird choice, though, I assume the intention is to lure tourists from Jackson Square up to Armstrong Park and businesses on Rampart? I think St Ann would be a better choice though, it's not blocked by the cathedral and it has the big lit Armstrong archway at the other end. If it's successful you could even use it to lure people further into the Treme, with something like the Freedom Trail in Boston.

Also I wouldn't close Iberville even after 5pm, it has too many loading docks and garage entrances... Bienville is a better pedestrian street to close.
Btw, I think you put the wrong link. Here's the article

Orleans is probably just a pick of the lowest hanging fruit. In my experience it usually has little or no traffic, so fewer people would complain. I am skeptical about the nightly closures they are proposing - there was a lot of talk about more of those a few years ago and they put in a bunch of bollards and then promptly forgot about them. I say either close a portion permanently or not at all.

Green corridors should be a part of any pedestrian zone. Everyone knows it gets extremely hot in the summer sun and the FQ probably has the fewest trees of any neighborhood. Well designed landscaping would also reduce street flooding.

I think Armstrong park needs to be a big ingredient in this plan. It currently holds the area back. With the tall fencing, few people use it during the day and it is closed at night. Reopening that grid to pedestrians and bikes would help a lot. Right now a third of the space is devoted to parking lots. I'd propose leasing a third of that space to a developer to build housing and use the revenue to build a garage for FQ worker and residents and add more green space. They could also lease some of those buildings for STRs.

The skeleton of a good transit system is already in place, it's just that the number of buses has not kept up with the population/tourism growth. A small fare increase could easily pay for doubling or tripling of service near the quarter. Decatur is a choke point for transit, so a longer term solution would be to pave the riverfront streetcar tracks like the Canal ones so that buses can also use them to avoid traffic.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Btw, I think you put the wrong link. Here's the article

Orleans is probably just a pick of the lowest hanging fruit. In my experience it usually has little or no traffic, so fewer people would complain. I am skeptical about the nightly closures they are proposing - there was a lot of talk about more of those a few years ago and they put in a bunch of bollards and then promptly forgot about them. I say either close a portion permanently or not at all.

Green corridors should be a part of any pedestrian zone. Everyone knows it gets extremely hot in the summer sun and the FQ probably has the fewest trees of any neighborhood. Well designed landscaping would also reduce street flooding.

I think Armstrong park needs to be a big ingredient in this plan. It currently holds the area back. With the tall fencing, few people use it during the day and it is closed at night. Reopening that grid to pedestrians and bikes would help a lot. Right now a third of the space is devoted to parking lots. I'd propose leasing a third of that space to a developer to build housing and use the revenue to build a garage for FQ worker and residents and add more green space. They could also lease some of those buildings for STRs.

The skeleton of a good transit system is already in place, it's just that the number of buses has not kept up with the population/tourism growth. A small fare increase could easily pay for doubling or tripling of service near the quarter. Decatur is a choke point for transit, so a longer term solution would be to pave the riverfront streetcar tracks like the Canal ones so that buses can also use them to avoid traffic.
Those are all great ideas! I’ll add, if the city/French Market Corp ever gets around to developing their lots on Elysian Fields into garages/commercial spaces, that will help the parking situation especially on weekends.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 10:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I am skeptical about the nightly closures they are proposing - there was a lot of talk about more of those a few years ago and they put in a bunch of bollards and then promptly forgot about them.
LOL, that sounds about right. Gotta dedicate a guy to putting up the bollards every day, or put in the motorized kind. Not impossible though.

Does Torres still pay for patrols through the FQ? His guys could do it, lol.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:12 AM
http://djsnola.tumblr.com

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 3, 2020 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Would you use it? New survey examines possible railway connecting Baton Rouge, New Orleans

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...7f3c9fabd.html

A 2010 study of a possible passenger rail service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans forecasts that 39,000 riders could be zipping between the two Mississippi River cities each month if the train link were opened three years later.

Ridership could rise to 135,000 people per month by 2038 as service was expanded and train speeds increased, the study estimated then.

Ten years after those hopeful forecasts were first offered, University of New Orleans researchers have set up a new online poll to better gauge ridership potential and understand how riders would make it to and from future train stations and their final destinations

I'm skeptical of these types of studies. The ridership numbers are always inflated. Now don't get me wrong, I lived car-free for years, and I'm a big supporter of transit. But I do want to see real numbers of what ridership will be and the cost/benefit analysis. If the government is subsidizing each rider by $20 per ride, it may not be the best investment as there are so many other transit projects that could benefit more people but are passed over.

I would be very interested if there has been a study for transit projects showing projected ridership vs actual ridership when built.

The Atlanta Streetcar which opened in 2016 cost $98 million to build, 3.2 million to operate, and was projected to carry 2,950 riders per day. Fast forward a couple of years to 2018, and average weekday ridership is 973, and annual operating costs are $7.3 million.

http://citycouncil.atlantaga.gov/Hom...cument?id=1168

A one-time capital investment of $308 was spent per annual ride, following by an annual operating cost of $22.95 for each ride. Ridership is on the downtrend since the system opened.

The following quote from this blog sums it up nicely.

Quote:
In the statehouse, legislators have been duking it out over whether to finally actually provide state funding for transit. Georgia is one of just a handful of states that contribute nothing to transit at all. AJC writer Kyle Wingfield worries that the streetcar may be a project that “transit critics will cite for years to come as evidence against expansions of any kind.”

Darin Givens at ATL Urbanist says the city could make the streetcar more useful by spurring walkable development on the many surface parking lots along the route. He criticized the city for failing to adjust land use policies during the two years leading up to the launch of service.
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2015/02/...rs-disappoint/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:59 PM
TL;DR

^ Streetcars are notoriously poor transit investments, though. The only reason we have them is because the Feds set up dedicated funding for small projects under Obama, and cities saw them as a way to lure developers. But it turns out they aren't actually very useful for residents compared to regional transit lines.

An intercity rail line like NOLA-BR is a whole different animal. It connects the state's biggest city to its flagship university and the state's only international airport - that alone should guarantee a healthy ridership, so long as they make sure the connections are good at each of those points - frequent shuttles, etc. If the fares are priced appropriately (monthly pass, etc) you could even end up with a group of commuter students that rides the train every day.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
^ Streetcars are notoriously poor transit investments, though. The only reason we have them is because the Feds set up dedicated funding for small projects under Obama, and cities saw them as a way to lure developers. But it turns out they aren't actually very useful for residents compared to regional transit lines.

An intercity rail line like NOLA-BR is a whole different animal. It connects the state's biggest city to its flagship university and the state's only international airport - that alone should guarantee a healthy ridership, so long as they make sure the connections are good at each of those points - frequent shuttles, etc. If the fares are priced appropriately (monthly pass, etc) you could even end up with a group of commuter students that rides the train every day.
I think it's hard to compare, especially since our most recent streetcar line also involved a total rebuild of Rampart and St. Claude along the route, including landscaping and lighting. Those streets were in need of repair anyway and certainly inflated the budget. We also have a history with streetcars and they are much more likely to attract tourist riders than buses.

The same argument goes for passenger rail. The expenses include plenty of drainage and crossing improvements that benefit the wider community as well as the freight railroad's speed and capacity benefits. If anything I think the passenger estimates might be low if they are not considering connectivity with existing Amtrak routes and the future Mobile service. If Amtrak runs some BR trains as extensions of those other routes, that could even lower the operating costs.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 9:11 PM
TL;DR

^ Sorry, wasn't referring to New Orleans streetcars but the tiny little streetcars that popped up in Atlanta, Cincinnati, KC, and a few other cities. From a ridership standpoint those have all been true failures... can't really call them a boondoggle, they're not expensive enough. But you shouldn't use the failure of these projects to argue against an intercity rail line that directly connects several of the biggest destinations in Louisiana.

New Orleans streetcars are more like a citywide network and a legacy network instead of new build... sort of a different animal. St Charles and Canal lines do cover many miles across the city and the Rampart/Desire line is intended to do that as well, eventually.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Long time no see, I was wondering where u went the forum kinda died since u became inactive so I went follow u on tumblr. I hope everything is ok and welcome back. I know I missed your post for sure

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 1:49 AM

Quote:
The only reason we have them is because the Feds set up dedicated funding for small projects under Obama, and cities saw them as a way to lure developers. But it turns out they aren't actually very useful for residents compared to regional transit lines.
Transit and land-use are linked. You want cities changing their zoning and luring development to maximize the success of the transit line. Simply linking two city centers without transit oriented development along the way is a recipe for disaster.

Quote:
Perhaps. Is the UNO study the only public source for ridership numbers of this project?

The Trinity Railway Express in Dallas-Forth Worth might be a similar project. It's a 10 mile line connecting downtown Fort Worth, DFW Airport and downtown Dallas as well as several of the suburban communities along the way. It has an annual operating budget of $113.9 million in 2019 and serves an an average weekday ridership of 6,400. The system had a total of 2 million riders last year, which equates to $56.95 per ride to operate.

The metrics look much better than the Atlanta streetcar when you consider passenger miles traveled divided by operating cost. Removing 6,400 cars from rush hour traffic is also a benefit that's hard to quantify.

Still not stellar numbers and ridership is on the decline from a high of 2.7 million in 2009. I guess transit does best in times of economic contraption.

Quote:
I think it's hard to compare, especially since our most recent streetcar line also involved a total rebuild of Rampart and St. Claude along the route, including landscaping and lighting. Those streets were in need of repair anyway and certainly inflated the budget. We also have a history with streetcars and they are much more likely to attract tourist riders than buses.

The same argument goes for passenger rail. The expenses include plenty of drainage and crossing improvements that benefit the wider community as well as the freight railroad's speed and capacity benefits.
Fair argument - the capital costs of construction has benefits beyond just for providing transportation.

Quote:
If anything I think the passenger estimates might be low if they are not considering connectivity with existing Amtrak routes and the future Mobile service. If Amtrak runs some BR trains as extensions of those other routes, that could even lower the operating costs.
It's very rare that ridership is underestimated. Usually that only happens when there is rezoning and significant emphasis on attracting new high density development along the line, like Jersey City's HBLR line. Can't think of any other system that exceeded estimates.

Quote:
New Orleans streetcars are more like a citywide network and a legacy network instead of new build... sort of a different animal. St Charles and Canal lines do cover many miles across the city and the Rampart/Desire line is intended to do that as well, eventually.
Would it be more of a benefit if the investment went to improving the existing New Orleans streetcar network than the rail line between Baton Rouge and New Orleans? At 70 miles between the two cities along with some very sensitive environmental sites along the way, that's gonna be in the multi-billion dollar range. A lot of money unless justified by high transit useage.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:26 PM

Good to see this eyesore will be put back in commerce!

4960 Chef Menteur Hwy·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:5PDRZS
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Kirk Fabacher
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/2/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
RENOVATE AND CONVERT EXISTING VACANT 8-STORY HIGH RISE BUILDING TO A 42-UNIT AFFORDABLE HOUSING COMPLEX. LAST KNOWN USE WAS BUSINESS. BUILDING VACATED IN 2005. WORK INCLUDES ALL NEW ELECTRICAL, MECHANICAL AND PLUMBING SYSTEMS, NEW ELEVATOR AND EMERGENCY GENERATOR.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:29 PM

The Odeon:

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:31 PM

New Mercedes Benz Dealership across from the Superdome on the corner of Poydras and Claiborne

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:35 PM

2239 Poydras St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:EMZ6NG
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Paul Dimitrios
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/1/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Renovation of existing building for new homeless shelter. Existing building is currently vacant. Previous use was business.

In mid-March, Ochsner called on Broadmoor to address the anticipated healthcare needs of our community. Within 7 days, we were able to plan the buildout of the top three shell floors of Ochsner’s West Tower, all fitting within a strict 100-day schedule from start to licensing approvals. Today, we are proud to let you know that all three of these floors met that schedule, adding 102 ICU beds to their campus.

The Broadmoor team worked tirelessly to get this job done right, breaking up the work into three shifts a day for a total of 84 straight, 24-hour days. This project is a prime example of our Core Purpose in action: To Honorably Serve Our Communities.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:39 PM

Charity Hospital:

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:41 PM

NOLA Zip Line in LaPlace

https://www.zipnola.com/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:43 PM

Louisianas own LEANING TOWER OF PISA!!!

The calm before the Piling Storm..........from Andrew Serio and Crescent Foundations.

We can already start to smell the Morning Call In City Park and the Bud's Broiler.

Blessed to be able to Serve Our Community Through Construction.

Have a Great Weekend. God Bless.

#buildingthecommunity #budsbroiler #morningcall
#thelancoway

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:44 PM

Canopy Hilton:

1036 Canal:

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 5, 2020 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 2:02 PM

The Pearl

Happy Fourth~

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 4:22 PM

I love your house. You had a great vision for it, and it looks like your vision was carried out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations