HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
Thanks, I was guessing it was this past season of Westworld. They did a wonderful job of many future cities including and mostly LA.
Right I agree, and the Westworld's LA is an improvement on the 'Her' one. LA is one of those cities that is always open to interpretation, so much open 'pre-developed land' for development, so vast the possibilities are endless among long timescales..

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 9:28 AM

After the arrest of Huizar, do we still think 333 S. Figueroa (the LA Grand Hotel) is happening?

And anyone know if 927 S. Figueroa Street (Figueroa Center) will become a reality as well?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 5:59 PM

Questions on the status of projects for my development map

Hey! As I am sure most of you have seen I have been working on a development map for LA for like 4 years now breaking projects down into the following categories: UC, Approved, Proposed, Not Likely, and then removing any canceled or dead projects.

I am not actually an Angelino, so it can sometimes be hard to get up to date news and I can't go check the sites myself. That's why I am asking you all if any of you know about the following projects as I am unsure of their current status.

Currently Marked as UC:

-Cambria Hotel: I remember reading it was going to break ground but I haven't heard anything since.

-Grand Ave: Obviously UC, but I can't find any official floorplans/ elevations for it, so my models aren't fully accurate. Any info about those would be nice.

Currently Marked as Approved:

-Olympia

-Fourth and Hill

-Olympic and Hill Tower

Currently Marked as Proposed:

-Olympic Tower: I've heard from some people that it was approved, and others that it is dead, so I'm not sure where to put it.

Currently Marked as Not Likely:

-Berry Shy's stuff (SB Omega/Hill Street Lofts/Hill Street Lofts): I really like all of these projects as infill, but they all have been around for so long and have had no progress. Is there any news at all about them?

-525 S. Spring: I worry that it is dead given it has been like three years since the last news.

-1120/ 1115 S. Olive: Manly here because I can't find any renders or height, but there also hasn't been much news. If any of you know anything about them or have any renders please let me know because this are two of the most exciting projects to me.

-1201 S. Grand Ave: Also can't find any up to date renders for this

-1600 Figueroa: Any official dimensions/ EIR information would be nice because I have no idea the dimensions of these buildings.

-1335 S. Grand

-Lucia Tower Site

-Onyx Phase 2

-Shenzhen Towers

-Vara

Not on my Map

-Medallion 2.0: Assumed dead.

-Alexan: I have also assumed this one is dead, but if there is counteracting news that would be nice to hear.

-Grand Phase 3: Don't even know if this is a thing.

-LA Times Printing Plant Site: It was sold, but no idea what for.

-2159 Bay Street

-234 N. Center St.

-12th and Broadway / 2nd & Central / Main Street Garage Site / 732 S. Main / El Pueblo Parking Lot Site: All lots that were sold, but I can't find any developments for them.

Sorry for all the questions, but any news about ANY of these projects, or feedback on what I have marked them as would be fantastic and mean a ton! Thank you all so much, it has been an honor working on this map and I want to make sure it is as high quality as possible, and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 8:31 PM

Oh gosh I sure hope 1600 Figueroa doesn't get approval, that thing is one of the ugliest 'buildings' I have ever seen, there's something about tabletop buildings that just throws me off. Singapore has a monstrosity of such, ruined that skyline for me.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 9:21 PM
DENNAB

That list seems to be missing quite a few U/C like Fig 7th, Fig + Pico and Century Plaza towers, all of which are 5-700 feet high. It's a good thing too because that list would be extremely tragic if not.

It's also missing Angel's Landing and the other two new tallest proposed.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 10:09 PM

Cambria Hotel at LA Live isn't under construction. It was fenced off a few years ago and construction looked imminent, but nothing ever happened. It's been so long that I can't help but think that it won't happen as planned. Given what's been happening downtown since, it would make sense to go taller so maybe that's what's being sought?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Oh gosh I sure hope 1600 Figueroa doesn't get approval, that thing is one of the ugliest 'buildings' I have ever seen, there's something about tabletop buildings that just throws me off. Singapore has a monstrosity of such, ruined that skyline for me.
Yeah 1600 Fig needed a redesign, but 1300 Fig looked promising. Haven't heard anything about that project in the last couple of years

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
-Cambria Hotel: I remember reading it was going to break ground but I haven't heard anything since.

-Olympic Tower: I've heard from some people that it was approved, and others that it is dead, so I'm not sure where to put it.

-Berry Shy's stuff (SB Omega/Hill Street Lofts/Hill Street Lofts): I really like all of these projects as infill, but they all have been around for so long and have had no progress. Is there any news at all about them?

-525 S. Spring: I worry that it is dead given it has been like three years since the last news.

-Medallion 2.0: Assumed dead.

-Alexan: I have also assumed this one is dead, but if there is counteracting news that would be nice to hear.

Everyone is entering unchartered waters from here on out....how the city's, nation's, world's economy goes over the next 1, 5 to 10 yrs is anyone's guess. same thing can be said about NYC, chicago, boston, Paris, london, toronto, san francisco, atlanta, houston, tokyo, hong kong, seattle, portland, etc, etc.

I'm old enough to remember when dtla was about as far behind & semi dead as any area could be. But that wasn't as difficult to deal with at the time because I didn't realize just how long it would take to get things moving to the next level....plus I had a lot more yrs in the future to look forward to....& be patient about. Now the coronavirus has pushed everything back to square one.

I feel like I've going to have to go back to grade school...even kindergarten....all over again...but I'll still be the same age as I am today.

Video Link

back to the future....I hope dtla doesn't return to its bad ol past....it's physically still better than it was before, so hopefully another downturn won't make dt seem as sad as it was in the past. But what will the pace of change & improvement be like if the old economy of about 20-30 yrs ago....when ppl were abandoning urban centers....becomes the economy of today...of the 2020s?

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 6:54 PM

^ Prices will adjust accordingly and things will work themselves out, a lot of higher end infrastructure downtown these days, back then it was drab and one could say even blighted, some places are still but it's not the core downtown at least, you gotta walk a few blocks.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 1:10 AM

I didn't even think 1600 fig was a "Real" project. I mean, the proposal yes but the design was clearly inspired by a kindergarten class playing with wooden building blocks.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 7:40 PM

Urbanize updated us on two fresh 'Times Mirror Square' renders
Render 1A

Render 1B with alternate podium design

Render 2A

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:01 PM

Option 2 is my favorite... love the change to black glass, but still not a fan of the extruded balconies, I know its a residential project but if it had no extruded balconies these towers would really be elegant and clean.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:27 PM

AC Martin/ONNI is trying to pay homage to the soon to be demolished Pereira building by creating these towers

*Edit* Ive deleted my opinion piece as I realize opinions do not elevate the conversation here

Last edited by hughfb3; Jul 9, 2020 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
Option 2 is my favorite... love the change to black glass, but still not a fan of the extruded balconies, I know its a residential project but if it had no extruded balconies these towers would really be elegant and clean.
Yeah option 2 is the cleanest design and the crowns are pretty unique, the black color choice is interesting. I guess they were told specifically to make them black is the only thing I can think of. I give option 2 a 7.5/10, it's an improvement on the previous design and will be thrilled to hear if it gets approved.

Last edited by Niftybox; Jul 8, 2020 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
4 words... Urban Heat Island Effect.

The energy required for heating and cooling the inside of this heat box... This isnt the '60's and '70's, we do not need another Arco plaza trying to emulate the black & gold Richfield tower it demolished.

While AC Martin/ONNI is trying to pay homage to the soon to be demolished Pereira building by creating these towers, The crown of the City House matches the crown of the Times Mirror main building. This is how to pay homage to historical design. Who do we need to talk to on the design commission?

While those towers are nice, they belong in the past, and while I do love the design and I'd say it 'belonged' in LA at one point but not now, I just think it needs a modern look, the heat island effect is also a good argument for LA. In my opinion LA needs modern looking towers like they are building in Melbourne, Le Defense Paris and London etc. LA has enough art deco to go around and plenty of neo classical at street level, it's time to modernize.

Last edited by Niftybox; Jul 9, 2020 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Render 1A
I wonder what proposals those white towers in the back are? Or if they are just assumptions on a growing future skyline. Clearly Onni does their homework and has the city mapped out with most all big proposals.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 11:04 PM
them bones

The podium on scheme 2 is dreadful. What is this, 1992? Scheme 1 starts to hint at a real base with some decent proportion and picking up some lines of the LAT Building, but it doesn't go quite far enough for me.

Not sure how I feel about what looks like brooding bronze glazing or the tops on either scheme.

Also, can we all just agree to NEVER, EVER show those hideous 2nd year undergrad level renderings of City House and Olympic on this forum? Those towers were trash when they were proposed and they have not aged well. My personal opinion of course, but I've always hated them.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
While those towers are nice, they belong in the past. In my opinion LA needs modern looking towers like they are building in Melbourne, Le Defense Paris and London etc. LA has enough art deco to go around and plenty of neo classical at street level, it's time to modernize.
Totally agree!!!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:30 AM

Grand Ave is going on 19 floors now. She's rising FAST!!!

[IMG]Untitled by Hugh B, on Flickr[/IMG]

Some Perla

Brookfield Tower concrete pour in 3...2...1...

Last edited by hughfb3; Jul 9, 2020 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 3:38 AM

Great update! Thanks for posting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations