HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 10:30 PM

The Gathering Place posted this on their Facebook page in honor of Earth Day. The park is sure looking nice. Too bad it's closed due to the current situation.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Enthusiast View Post
I moved here in 2007 and when I think back on it, a lot of things have indeed changed. You were here even before the BOK Center.
I came right after they built the Tulsa City Hall building.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:45 AM

I like Tulsa, cause it reminded me of Austin in a way. Laid back lifestyle, big art scene, hilly terrain and the abundance of parks. Though its crazy to think Tulsa is now half the size of Austin. Back then it was around the same size.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 2:38 PM

Are there any plans to have the park better connect with the riverfront? If not, that seems like one missed opportunity of what appears to be one incredible looking, even world-class park amenity.

Des Moines' development discussion forum, project updates, and photo gallery page.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I came right after they built the Tulsa City Hall building.
Yeah, I believe that building was constructed in 2001 and was originally home to WilTel, Williams Companies fiber optic network operator. They suffered in the .com bust of the early 2000's I believe. The city moved their offices there in 2007 or 2008.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I like Tulsa, cause it reminded me of Austin in a way. Laid back lifestyle, big art scene, hilly terrain and the abundance of parks. Though its crazy to think Tulsa is now half the size of Austin. Back then it was around the same size.
Yeah, I have heard people compare Tulsa to Austin. Even Rolling Stone magazine thinks we're the next Austin (music wise anyway). But yeah, there is similar topography, art and music scene. Austin just more so of course in terms of art and music. And Austin is growing much much faster than Tulsa.

Last edited by Urban Enthusiast; Apr 24, 2020 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
Are there any plans to have the park better connect with the riverfront? If not, that seems like one missed opportunity of what appears to be one incredible looking, even world-class park amenity.
Yes there is. It is all waiting on a new low water dam, which is set to start construction either this year or next. It is supposed to raise the water level in Zink Lake (the portion of the river just behind the dam) by 3 feet. It will also facilitate white water amenities, which will be part of Gathering Place. In addition there is going to be a new pedestrian bridge constructed over the river. In fact you can see a pedestrian bridge in the lower portion of the picture above that crosses over Riverside Drive. It will connect to the new pedestrian bridge. It is part of the Midland Valley (former railroad) trail that ties into downtown.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Enthusiast View Post
Yes there is. It is all waiting on a new low water dam, which is set to start construction either this year or next. It is supposed to raise the water level in Zink Lake (the portion of the river just behind the dam) by 3 feet. It will also facilitate white water amenities, which will be part of Gathering Place. In addition there is going to be a new pedestrian bridge constructed over the river. In fact you can see a pedestrian bridge in the lower portion of the picture above that crosses over Riverside Drive. It will connect to the new pedestrian bridge. It is part of the Midland Valley (former railroad) trail that ties into downtown.
Rendering of this major public works project which will be starting soon. Once it is complete the final riverfront work along the Gathering Place will be finished.

The construction will take place on the left side of this picture and tie directly into the park and riverfront

Daytime rendering of the new pedestrian bridge that will be built at the same time next to the whitewater flume

Nighttime rendering of the new pedestrian bridge

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 9:21 PM

Tower crane for the 11 story WPX tower with the skyline in the background

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 9:23 PM

Davenport Lofts - Here is an updated picture of progress so far on the Davenport Lofts project. The crane on the left is for the OKPOP museum currently under construction.

Tulsa Development Authority (TDA) lot - Here are a couple of proposals that were submitted to the TDA for the land they own downtown (the parking lot in the foreground of the picture above). They will likely select one to be constructed here in the near future. I got these renderings from TulsaNow.

Proposal 1

Proposal 2

Western Supply Development - This is a development slated for the former Western Supply Company located downtown. According to Tulsan on the TulsaNow forum this is supposed to be
Quote:
“. . . a mixed use development with 3 levels of underground parking, retail storefronts on first floor along Boulder, office space on first 3-4 levels, and a 13 story residential tower in the center of the block. My understanding is that it’s intended as affordable, workforce housing. Architecture by Lilly Architects.”

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:57 AM

Recently completed 6 story Vast Bank HQ (Block 44) and 6 story The View apartments under construction across from ONEOK Field

11 story WPX HQ under construction with the 9 story Davenport Lofts condo building under construction in the background

WPX and Vast Bank HQ are only a block apart

OKPop Museum under construction across from Cain's Ballroom downtown

Recently completed Village Flats just east of downtown

Mixed-use project with a Route 66 museum proposed for 11th & Lewis

The rebuilding of Zink Dam to create a deeper lake and whitewater flume next to the Gathering Place starts this month. Work on the new pedestrian bridge will start later this year.

Last edited by BG918; Aug 4, 2020 at 5:13 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:26 PM

Tulsa strikes me as a very lovely city. I think if I were making a choice between Tulsa and OKC I would choose Tulsa. Am I wrong, or perhaps what are some of the differences of Tulsa vs. OKC, aside from the NBA?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Tulsa strikes me as a very lovely city. I think if I were making a choice between Tulsa and OKC I would choose Tulsa. Am I wrong, or perhaps what are some of the differences of Tulsa vs. OKC, aside from the NBA?
They are very different for being only 90 miles apart. The area around Tulsa is hilly and forested with numerous lakes and the Ozark Mountains to the east. OKC is flatter with more agricultural and ranching land around it, similar to Dallas/Ft Worth. Tulsa has more old oil money wealth and is more arts-oriented. OKC has a more dynamic economy and is faster-growing with an NBA team and the state’s flagship university in its metro (OU in Norman). The combined population of both metro areas is nearly 2.5 million.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:46 PM

Thanks BG918, It sounds like I would want to live smack dab in the middle and take advantage of both metros.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
They are very different for being only 90 miles apart. The area around Tulsa is hilly and forested with numerous lakes and the Ozark Mountains to the east. OKC is flatter with more agricultural and ranching land around it, similar to Dallas/Ft Worth. Tulsa has more old oil money wealth and is more arts-oriented. OKC has a more dynamic economy and is faster-growing with an NBA team and the state’s flagship university in its metro (OU in Norman). The combined population of both metro areas is nearly 2.5 million.
Do you think OKC is bigger partly because it is the state capital? Why was the flagship university placed in Norman?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Do you think OKC is bigger partly because it is the state capital? Why was the flagship university placed in Norman?
I'm sure that has something to do with it. OU is only 20 miles south of downtown OKC and Norman is Oklahoma's third largest city. The other large state university is Oklahoma State in Stillwater which is halfway between OKC and Tulsa.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 10:34 PM

Here are some updated pictures of a few of the projects going on downtown. I took these a week or two ago.

Here is the Davenport Lofts project. They are currently applying brick to the exterior.

Here is another angle of the OKPop Museum. The pic by BG918 is much better than mine.

Here are a few of The View apartments.

And here is a pic of the 111 Greenwood development.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post

Yeah, Tulsa is quite hilly and lush.

I better stop before I get scolded for posting non-development pictures!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 11:12 PM

^^ I'm honestly okay with the non-development pictures. This forum is a way for me to understand a culture of a city/metro from locals who pay attention to what's going around.

I just went through some of the last few posts and wow, Tulsa looks amazing! Thanks for the dialogue with how Oklahoma is like @BG918

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 4:24 PM

A new infill project has been proposed for the Brookside neighborhood. This is currently a large estate that will mostly be developed into residences with some commercial space. It goes before the planning commission on Sep. 2.

https://ktul.com/news/local/shops-re...peoria-project

The project would include a connection to the Gathering Place and river trails via a planned new trail along Crow Creek.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations