HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:25 PM

awesome pic!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:31 PM
somewhere in-between

Yes, that is a great photo! Big news in GR -

Quote:
24-story, mixed-use building proposed for downtown Grand Rapids
January 17, 2020
Brian McVicar | MLive

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — A developer wants to build a 24-story, mixed-use building — containing 118 apartments, a five-floor parking garage, and retail and office space — across the street from Van Andel Arena. The proposed building would be located on what is now a small, city-owned parking lot. Grand Rapids city officials on Tuesday, Jan. 21, will ask the city commission to approve a one-year option agreement that would create a path for Grand Rapids-based Wheeler Development Group to purchase a parcel at 22 Ottawa Ave. NW and move forward with the project...
My first reaction is - really? that is such a small lot for a 24 story development (just 17,400 SF). But this would be direct adjacent to the new 13-story Hinman project going up, and that lot looked just as small. A fairly sketchy rendering -

Source: MLive | Courtesy Courtesy Wheeler Development Group

Last edited by deja vu; Jan 18, 2020 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:43 PM
somewhere in-between

In SE GR...

Quote:
Amplify GR proposes Boston Square transformation
Plan includes housing for all income levels, commercial space, an early learning center, a community building and more.
January 17, 2020
Justin Dawes | GRBJ

The nonprofit Amplify GR is leading plans to transform a 9-acre site within the Boston Square neighborhood in southeast Grand Rapids. The plans include housing for all income levels, commercial space, an early learning center, a community building, green space and more. Rezoning was approved this month by the Grand Rapids Planning Commission to allow for retail space along Kalamazoo Avenue SE, the first step in the ongoing approval and development process, said Jon Ippel, Amplify GR executive director...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Yes, that is a great photo! Big news in GR -

My first reaction is - really? that is such a small lot for a 24 story development (just 17,400 SF). But this would be direct adjacent to the new 13-story Hinman project going up, and that lot looked just as small. A fairly sketchy rendering -

Source: MLive | Courtesy Courtesy Wheeler Development Group
It would be really cool to see something that big put there but I imagine it'll get downsized like the Hinman hotel project. Its strange that they're saying the address is on Ottawa, but that address belongs to the parking garage, which this new building would just be attached to and not replacing. Seems like it'd make more sense to give the address as being on Fulton or Ionia since the site is on the corner of those two streets.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 10:07 PM
somewhere in-between

Yeah, I thought the same things, both about the likely height reduction and the given address. At first glimpse, I thought it meant they would demo the parking ramp, based on the given address. But that deck is in decent shape from what I know, and the article clearly says "next-to". Just imagine if this thing were built full height, and the Hinman building had stayed at 40-something floors. Downtown Grand Rapids would look quite different.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 1:48 PM
somewhere in-between

Approval #1 of...?

Quote:
Proposed 24-story building in downtown Grand Rapids gets first approval
January 21, 2020
By Brian McVicar | MLive

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — The Grand Rapids City Commission on Tuesday approved an option for Wheeler Development Group to purchase a small, city-owned parking lot across from Van Andel Arena and construct what could be a 24-story mixed-use building. The option provides Grand Rapids-based Wheeler Development Group up to one-year to complete due diligence and reach a development agreement with the city. The firm would then, pending the outcome of the due diligence, purchase the property and begin construction at the site...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 3:12 PM
somewhere in-between

This project was approved - set to start this Spring -

Quote:
Renovation of Van Andel Arena Plaza to begin in spring 2020
WWMT Newschannel 3
February 12, 2020

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The public plaza in front of Van Andel Arena's main entrance will soon see a complete upgrade. The Grand Rapids Downtown Development Authority approved funding Wednesday to renovate the plaza, which consistently ranks among the busiest venues of its size in the United States, officials with the authority said.

“Our vision is to transform the plaza into a more welcoming front yard for the Arena and Heartside neighborhood,” Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. Managing Director of Planning & Design Mark Miller said. The project will include a full demolition of the plaza and the construction of more seating, trees and landscaping, as well as a snow-melt system, improved lighting, and other design adaptions...

Source: WWMT | Grand Rapids Downtown Development Authority

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:39 AM
Registered Ugly

Found this on the I.G. today. Shows the Amway Grand being reclad.

Photo by Lynne Jarman- Johnson

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 12:27 PM
somewhere in-between

Here's a few updates for Grand Rapids. I lament that it has grown more difficult to travel even an hour from where I am to take photos myself due to COVID. These updates rely heavily on construction cameras and the good folks over at Urban Planet.

10 Ionia / Residence Inn by Marriott, from today, downloaded from the oxblue construction camera. They are reportedly applying concrete sealers (for the final color).

Acrisure building at Studio Park, from a few weeks ago. Image credit to joeDowntown over at the Urban Planet Grand Rapids Forum. There are some more photos over there.

MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase 2 (211,000 Sq.Ft. Doug Meijer Medical Innovation Building). First image is from the webcam, today. Second image is from about a month ago now (June 7) - credit also to joeDowntown at Urban Planet).

200 Monroe - RDV Corporation / the DeVos family (Former Fifth Third Center)

Credit: ironyisadeadscene at Urban Planet

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 2:15 PM
somewhere in-between

Here's a few more recent photo updates, all thanks to the good folks over at Urban Planet.

10 Ionia / Hinman Hotel Project

Painting progress -

Source: Urban Planet | joeDowntown

The sky bridge is going in!

Studio Park

MSU Biomedical Research Campus - Phase 2

Amway Grand Plaza

The crown -

Source: Urban Planet | ironyisadeadscene

New facade progress along Pearl -

DeVos Family HQ

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 9:55 PM

Great photos!!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 11:09 PM

Great updates, thanks!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 1:01 PM
somewhere in-between

I found some photos of the recent "topping out" of the MSU / Doug Meijer Medical Innovation Building - posted on Rockford's LinkedIn page. Also, this brief video flyover, showing progress through late July. Rockford's LinkedIn caption reads:

"10 months of construction. 56,000 work-hours invested. 60% project completion. One final piece of steel."

Source: LinkedIn | Rockford Construction

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 1:39 PM
somewhere in-between

Here are a few other project updates, gathered up from Urban Planet over the past few weeks -

10 Ionia, 8/16/2020 -

Amway Grand Plaza Facelift, 7/28/2020 -

Devos Family HQ, 8/25/2020 -

Devos Family HQ, 8/16/2020 -

Studio Park, 8/16/2020 -

Here is a view of the new parking garage at the MSU / Doug Meijer Medical Innovation Building, from 8/16/2020 -

The new BRT Laker Line did start service a little over a week ago. This photo, from 8/25/2020, shows a (unsurprisingly) noticeably empty, articulated bus. Tough time to launch a new transit line -

Source: Urban Planet | grandrollerz

This route links GVSU to downtown Grand Rapids -

Source: Laker Line

New public toilet in the Heartside district, 7/28/2020. I believe this is the "Portland Loo" model -

Source: Urban Planet | GR_Urbanist

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 8:42 PM
somewhere in-between

Cornerstone University's new "Jack and Mary De Witt Center for Science and Technology" was completed in 2019 and the center recently won awards from the Masonry Institute of Michigan and AIA Michigan. The Architect was Progressive AE.  There are some more photos at Progressive's website, as well as a Youtube video, here.

Source: Progressive AE

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 1:11 AM

^^^ That stonework reminds me of McMansion kitchen backsplash. Not a fan. Maybe I'd like it better in person, though. The interior is cool, at least.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 8:13 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
^^^ That stonework reminds me of McMansion kitchen backsplash. Not a fan. Maybe I'd like it better in person, though. The interior is cool, at least.
I think my biggest issue with the exterior masonry is the way the pattern repeats. It looks like a bad texture in a SketchUp rendering, with the tiling effect it creates.

Here's another suburban update -

West Michigan Community Bank recently completed their newest location at 4797 Cascade Rd. SE. First Companies, the construction manager, recently posted some final photos on their website. Not too shabby, as far as suburban banking centers go. It has a bit of a mid-century vibe, with the exposed steel, open stairs, and wood finishes. Here's a few photos (there's more at the link).

Source: First Companies

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 8:51 PM
somewhere in-between

A quick Amway Grand facelift update, from Wednesday (photo from over on Urban Planet). It's kinda nuts that this has been going for over a year and a half already (even with COVID taken into consideration). The rooftop crane was installed March 2019! But boy if it doesn't look good.

Source: Urban Planet | Cookin_peacocks

By the way, no one posted it here, but the groundbreaking for Phase I of the new Federal Inspection Station at Ford Airport was on September 16. This will eventually allow the airport to accommodate nonstop, international destination flights.

Here's the official press release.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 7:18 PM
somewhere in-between

As part of the Grand Rapids Community Legends Project, a new statue of President Ford was unveiled Friday Morning, along with the dedication of the new Presidential Gateway Plaza at the airport.

Source: LinkedIn | GRR Airport

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 11:25 PM
somewhere in-between

A few Updates (courtesy of the faithful over at Urban Planet - all photo credit to them):

Studio Park (10/17) -

DeVos Family HQ, including the now-gutted retail space along Lyon (10/17) -

MSU Biomedical Research Campus, Phase 2 (10/17) -

Source: Urban Planet joeDowntown

Signage is up at the Hinman Hotel Building (or should I say, Residence Inn - 10/15) -

Source: Urban Planet | Cookin_peacocks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations