HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:44 PM

Maybe you can form a club? OKC, a place I've lived in twice and generally have a nice affection for, but it's a city of little relevance and to see pictures of 3 story suburban box like hotels and new stop signs (seemingly) just highlight a need for affection and a race to stay relevant. There are a couple of other cities that are here everyday that really just aren't that noteworthy to have continual show and tell.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:59 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ yikes. look, "relevance" is subjective here. saying that people shouldn't post development updates about a city because you don't find the city relevant... i don't agree with that at all and that's not what i was saying.

however, Peerson was bumping this thread four and five times a day with a combination of non-development photos and repeated photos of the same developments. i've never seen the LA thread bumped that frequently. there are a couple of others that get bumped fairly frequently (in spurts) but they're usually either conversing about posted developments or offering new information about posted developments. (sometimes it's dubious though, admittedly.)

this is way off topic so that's all i'm going to say about it. Peerson is free to do what he wants until a moderator tells him otherwise, but constant thread bumping is poor etiquette, and it's annoying. the more he gratuitously bumps this thread to keep it on top the less likely i am to look at it. but that's just me (and at least one other person, i guess). carry on.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 11:44 AM

Man I really miss the okc updates. This is one of my favorite towns and I am very excited to see the growth. Please come back with new updates my friend! Don't let one bad apple keep ya away!

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:26 PM

Everyone is jealous. EVERYONE wants a peerson posting non-stop for their cities. As someone else said, I really feel like I know Oklahoma city quite well because of his insane amount of pictures. Like I know weird things about the city that I would NEVER know otherwise. It's awesome. I think instead of criticizing some small things he does you may find annoying, we should look at the 99% of shit he posts that is awesome. He keeps up with ALL developments, which is needed in a smaller sunbelt city that is growing. If he posted for Chicago I would question the need for posting pictures of rather suburban-looking buildings, but he's posting for OKC.

Please, for the love of God keep posting peerson and if you want to, move to Chicago so you can post like hell for that city too.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 6:06 PM

Well said Jtown. I keep checking Peerson's profile periodically hoping he is at least lurking occasionally. I've wanted to encourage him to keep posting. Unfortunately, he hasn't even logged onto the forum since those couple of negative criticisms.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 10:04 PM

Scissortail Park (southern section across I-40)

"The final plans for the lower park area are almost complete, and the project will be out for construction bids in the coming months. Once work starts on that 28-acre parcel, it should be complete by mid-2022."

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/d...nt?oid=7432170

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:11 AM
Everywhere all at once

I'm consistently impressed by Oklahoma City's drive to build grand civic amenities in recent years. You don't see a lot of cities, especially mid-sized cities, executing projects on this scale with such speed in the 21st Century. Tulsa isn't far behind with its recent opening of the Gathering Place along the river. Throw in proximity to booming North Texas, and also Northwest Arkansas, and I believe Oklahoma will be a far more prominent player on the national stage in coming decades. The stage is being set.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 9:31 PM

Hello all,

I am located here in Oklahoma City and just stumbled upon this forum. I just wanted to share a project called Strawberry Fields that is located directly to the west of the new Scissortail Park. It is an ambitious project for a market like OKC, however, I have some sources that tell me that the development is gaining traction quickly (even given current market trends). I predict that the actual development will be scaled down slightly barring any unforeseen large job growth in the urban core. OKC is a slow and steady growth market, however, we have seen a consolidation of over 1,500 jobs into the core in the last 6 months. I have it on good authority that the norteastern-most parcel will be the first to be developed and it will be mid-rise housing.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 9:37 PM

Other OKC project that are somewhat exciting:
BancFirst Tower

First National Center Renovation to Hotel/Apartments

Omni Hotel

Bricktown Mariott Renaissance

Much credit goes to Pete and the local posters at OKCTalk.com

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 9:55 PM

Another project in the pipeline that I have much less confidence in than Strawbery Fields is called the Producer's District. The site was home to a producers mill and needs significant remediation of the land before anything can be developed. It's long been rumored that the fully-funded MAPS IV (Energy FC) stadium will be located within this district.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWHxr5sdu4k

http://www.producersdistrict.com/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 4:49 AM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:57 PM

Hines Breaks Ground on Luxury Multifamily Project at Classen Curve

Quote:
SEPTEMBER 28, 2020
(OKLAHOMA CITY, OK) – Hines, the international real estate firm, along with partner Humphreys Capital, announced that it has broken ground on the construction of a luxury multifamily project at Classen Curve in the Nichols Hills submarket of Oklahoma City.

The development will be a five-story mid-rise building with 326 rental homes, situated immediately adjacent to Whole Foods at the epicenter of the Classen Curve outdoor retail center. The community will offer unparalleled walkability to surrounding amenities such as Trader Joe’s, over 15 restaurants including newly opened Torchy’s Tacos and Flower Child, and multiple fitness concepts.

The community will offer studios, one, two, and three-bedroom units and will offer upscale finishes and fixtures that will set a new standard for quality in the marketplace. The project will feature resort-style amenities including multiple private outdoor courtyards, heated pool, a private fitness center, club room, library, outdoor dog run, modern package facilities, and significant bicycle storage to take advantage of adjacency to the Lake Hefner bike trail.
https://www.hines.com/news/hines-bre...-classen-curve

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 6:18 PM

Cox Convention Center is now Prairie Surf Studios

https://twitter.com/OKCTalk

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 3:58 PM

Luxury Apartment Complex To Be Built In Downtown OKC

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 3:38 AM
Laramie

OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Oklahoma City

Huge hotel, lagoon and waterpark planned for Oklahoma River in Oklahoma City

Full press release:

CHICKASAW NATION UNVEILS PLANS FOR DEVELOPMENT OF AN EXPANSIVE RESORT-STYLE DESTINATION DEVELOPMENT ADJACENT TO FIRST AMERICANS MUSEUM IN OKC
Release Date: October 21, 2021
by Chickasaw Nation Media Relations Office

Chickasaw Nation Governor Bill Anoatubby unveiled plans today for OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark, a major resort-style development, which will be located adjacent to the newly-opened First Americans Museum, along the Oklahoma River near downtown Oklahoma City.

OKANA Resort includes riverfront hotel, spa, outdoor adventure lagoon, amphitheater, indoor waterpark, restaurants, Native American Marketplace and retail outlets

OKLAHOMA CITY (Oct. 21, 2021) – Chickasaw Nation Governor Bill Anoatubby today unveiled plans for a major resort-style development to be located adjacent to the newly-opened First Americans Museum. Situated along the Oklahoma River near downtown Oklahoma City, OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark will be a $300+ million tourist destination designed to continue the momentum of economic development in Oklahoma City.

“Strong partnerships and diligent effort among city and state officials and private entities have been integral to the launch of the First Americans Museum,” said Gov. Anoatubby. "With this world-class First Americans Museum now in operation, we are ready to turn our focus to what we believe will be another significant tourism and hospitality venue. It is our vision that the OKANA Resort will enhance the experience for visitors from not only our region, but across North America and around the world.

“OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark has been designed to complement the First Americans Museum’s focus on cultural experience as well as connect visitors to other entertainment experiences along this established and vibrant part of the Oklahoma River.”

Plans announced detailed the first phase of the project, which is scheduled to develop approximately 40 acres of the total 140 acres held by AICCM Land Development, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Chickasaw Nation.

The resort-hotel will feature an 11-story, 404-room hotel, providing guests with luxurious accommodations, riverfront and lagoon views and proximity to the heart of Oklahoma City and the Boathouse District. A five-acre outdoor adventure lagoon designed for relaxation and play will sit at the center of the property and will be comprised of one main body of water and two smaller bodies of water – all lined with sandy beaches. A pedestrian bridge will stretch across the main body of water, allowing guests to easily move throughout the property. The resort also will feature a 33,000 square-foot family entertainment center, over 100,000 square-foot indoor waterpark, 39,000 square-feet of conference center space, spa and golf simulator, and multiple retail outlets, and dining options.

Chickasaw Nation Secretary of Commerce Bill Lance said that cooperation between local and state government and business leaders made this type of investment possible.

“Undoubtedly, an entertainment and lodging complex of this magnitude will add significantly to the exciting progress going on in Oklahoma City. Initially, the resort is projected to employ 400 people and the annualized economic impact year one is projected to be $97 million. Additionally, estimates for the 10-year economic impact of this development are projected to exceed $1 billion, with full-time employment expanding to approximately 700-800.”

The development also will feature a Native American Market and amphitheater. The market provides a space for First American artists to showcase works of art or other creations. The amphitheater and outdoor lawn will accommodate roughly 1,500 people. These venues are meant to augment the museum’s programming with local artist performances, festivals, lectures and similar events.

Lance noted that the development will connect easily with the Boathouse District through a new Oklahoma River Cruises Ferry Landing funded through a $4 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration. Additional access to the area will be available through the trails system from both the north and the south. With the property located directly on the Oklahoma River, visitors will have a front-row seat to the starting line for U.S. Rowing National High Performance Center’s 2000-meter course.

Wynne/Jackson, a Dallas-based real estate development firm, is assisting in the development design for the entire project. New York-based Aquatic Development Group is the hotel developer, while Wisconsin-based ADCI is the hotel and waterpark architect. Benchmark Hospitality will operate the hotel and waterpark, which is expected to employ about 500 people in its operations. CallisonRTKL also is assisting in the master planning of the entire project and serving as architect for the Native American Marketplace and retail and dining components. Johnson & Associates from Oklahoma City assisted with site preparation and ongoing work.

Project funding, including site remediation, infrastructure and development, will come from both private and public sources. Public funding will include tax increment funds, MAPS4, federal transportation grants and funds from existing general obligation bonds.

The plans submitted today estimate a project completion in the late spring of 2024.

City and business leaders commented on the announcement of OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark.

“The caliber of this development is world-class and truly worthy of America’s 22nd-largest city,” said Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt. “FAM’s opening was just the first step in establishing this site’s potential for our community. The announcement of the development plan illustrates how Oklahoma City can emerge as an international destination for Native and Indigenous culture. This development helps to further create a place where Native and Indigenous people will come together, and a place where all people will experience that culture. On behalf of the people of Oklahoma City, we are so grateful to the Chickasaw Nation for its vision and its commitment to this project. Our mutual partnership is something that Oklahoma City deeply values.”

“We are excited to see the area around the First Americans Museum (FAM) be developed with care and appreciation for the architectural integrity of the museum. Our new neighbors, the AICCM Land Development, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Chickasaw Nation, have been collaborative and inclusive with FAM as the project has been designed. The FAM team has played an advisory role throughout the process. FAM, as well as the surrounding communities, will greatly benefit from the presence of the conference hotel and water park,” said James Pepper Henry, First Americans Museum Director and CEO.

Roy Williams, Greater Oklahoma City Chamber President and CEO said, “The number of hospitality and lodging options available for OKC visitors of all types has exploded in the past few years. And, soon, the OKANA resort will bring an additional experience that complements our unique new museum. The economic impact of a commercial development of this magnitude, especially in proximity to the new park and the First Americans Museum, builds on the momentum achieved in our city in recent years. It is a tribute to the “can do” spirit of OKC public and private sector leaders, including especially our partners at the Chickasaw Nation.”

Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Bureau President Zac Craig said, “As the world emerges from the pandemic, we expect the competition in the convention space will be intense for several years. But I can say with confidence that OKC stands ready with world class attractions for both leisure travel and convention business to compete with any city in this region and beyond. The OKANA project is a welcome and exciting addition to OKC’s hospitality and entertainment portfolio and will further magnify the economic vitality of our city.”

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 4:40 AM
Laramie

Oklahoma City construction & renovation projects

Blessed Father Stanley Rother Shrine

Shrine will feature a Basilica style church & a pilgrim center and museum

The Boldt Co. will join design architects Franck and Lohsen, of Washington D.C., and project architects ADG, of Oklahoma City.

The shrine will include a 2,000-seat church, a 200-seat chapel, a museum and a pilgrim center, which will tell the story of Rother’s life and martyrdom. An event center and education building will be added in front of the main church.

Here are the latest construction pics:

The Archdiocese of Oklahoma City has marked another milestone in the construction of the $40 million Blessed Stanley Rother Shrine, being built on SE 89 between Interstate 35 and Shields Boulevard.

Construction crews used a crane to lift a 45,000-pound dome onto the shrine, which is expected to be completed in summer 2022.--Oklahoman

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 8:00 PM

Laramie, good to see you here! I will be back in the big town for a couple months so I'll try to update when and where I can. I came here just to post that.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 12:06 AM
Laramie

Blessed Stanley Rother Shrine @RotherShrine · Religious Organization (Facebook) August 2021

Project cost: $40 millon

Construction webcam: https://archokc.org/shrinewebcam

Last edited by Laramie; Nov 5, 2021 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 4:29 PM

Nice!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 2:43 PM

Dream Hotel Group Sets Its Sights On Oklahoma City

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4107425.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations