HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:36 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

South Keys Shopping Centre Redevelopment | Proposed

Plan charts big changes for South Keys

By Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 05:46 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:58 PM EDT

The city is eyeing a sweeping long-term transformation of the South Keys shopping centre, including the removal of almost all surface parking.

A design plan could take decades to play out but the city envisions South Keys to be a prime location for redevelopment because of the future extension of the O-Train.

The South Keys design blueprint is part of a bigger plan to manage long-term change along a 4-km stretch of Bank St. between the Greenboro park-and-ride and Lester Rd.

The community design plan is currently in its draft phase after launching last fall.

A second open house happened in June and a final session is expected this fall.

The proposed community design plan is expected to hit council's agenda in early 2015.

The 56-acre South Keys shopping centre, built in 1999 and owned by the Canadian Real Estate Investment Trust, is a box mall with major potential for a mixed-use community, the study has determined so far.

Part of the reason the study on the shopping centre is being done now is because the owner has expressed interest in expanding within a few years, according to Dana Collings, the city's program manager of community planning and urban design.

The redevelopment concept considers an intensified residential cluster at the Greenboro park-and-ride. In that scenario, the park-and-ride would be located somewhere else on the site.

The study suggests that parking across the entire South Keys shopping centre would either move into an underground parking garage or building podiums.

A new street would cut through the property, creating blocks. A "town square" would be carved in the middle of the land. Buildings could be as high as 21 metres. There would even be some new greenspace.

South Keys is slated for an O-Train station when the service is extended to Riverside South, subject to government funding.

Pedestrian plazas would be built in front of the South Keys and Greenboro station entrances under the draft design plan.

Other than extending the O-Train, the time it takes to transform South Keys is largely out of the city's hands.

"Market forces will ultimately determine if the landowner will develop the lands, and if the market is accommodating, the landowner will need to develop in accordance with the direction of the council-approved policy," Collings said.

In fact, all the big changes might not happen for a very long time. The complete build-out is estimated to take 30 to 50 years.

jon.willing@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @JonathanWilling

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/08/12/...for-south-keys

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 8:31 PM

I don't know how you can really call 1 strip of stores with parking a "shopping centre" but hey, any big plans to make more use of the area is a-ok with me. Mid and high-rise apartments/condos, a couple of mid-rise offices, a park, plaza and a shit-ton of less surface parking!!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 8:58 PM

How could it be done without tearing down the big boxes?

One major weakness in that area is on the east side, Bank Street is mostly reverse frontage.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 9:26 PM

The City has so many plans for so many areas. Between the TOD areas, CFB Rockcliffe, South Keys, Stittsville, and Kanata, we must have about 40 years of growth at current rates to absorb.

Maybe the city should focus on developing employment rather than housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
How could it be done without tearing down the big boxes?

One major weakness in that area is on the east side, Bank Street is mostly reverse frontage.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 10:01 PM

The South Keys plan calls for mixed-use. That includes employment land.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 1:22 PM

About South Keys

I found this article this morning:
https://beyondtheautomobile.com/2021...h-keys-centre/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhgr View Post
South Keys has huge potential of becoming a mini-downtown hub, served by two O-Train stations. From the link, here's the current plans from 2015:

Owners of South Keys Mall, "Smart" Centres, is redeveloping Vaughan Metropolitain Center into this:

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
South Keys has huge potential of becoming a mini-downtown hub, served by two O-Train stations.
Too bad we still don't have double-tracking on this line.
Will there ever be? Not for this generation it seems.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Trillium has a history of extremely slow and painful upgrades. I'm sure double tracking will happen at some point, but no timeline has been established. It will all depend on ridership/capacity.

Pre-pandemic, I was fairly confident capacity would be reached quickly with Stage 2. Post-pandemic, I'm not quite as sure.

The City doesn't need to double track the entire line at once. North of the Dow's Lake tunnel will happen in part (could happen in full) by 2028 in time for the opening of the new Civic, but that may not do anything for overall capacity. Double tracking Walkley seems to be the next step to increase frequencies from 12 to 10 minutes, which would represent a 20% capacity increase. I assume Mooney's Bay/Ellwood would be next after that.

Note that the 2013 "upgrades" were suppose to increase frequencies from 15 to 8 minutes, but that failed miserably. The best they could do was 12 minutes.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Goes along with the likelihood that South Keys will be a sea of asphalt for most of our lives.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Trillium has a history of extremely slow and painful upgrades. I'm sure double tracking will happen at some point, but no timeline has been established. It will all depend on ridership/capacity.

Pre-pandemic, I was fairly confident capacity would be reached quickly with Stage 2. Post-pandemic, I'm not quite as sure.

The City doesn't need to double track the entire line at once. North of the Dow's Lake tunnel will happen in part (could happen in full) by 2028 in time for the opening of the new Civic, but that may not do anything for overall capacity. Double tracking Walkley seems to be the next step to increase frequencies from 12 to 10 minutes, which would represent a 20% capacity increase. I assume Mooney's Bay/Ellwood would be next after that.

Note that the 2013 "upgrades" were suppose to increase frequencies from 15 to 8 minutes, but that failed miserably. The best they could do was 12 minutes.
I sometimes wonder what the maximum frequency would be if we double tracked everything except the Dow's lake tunnel. I have to imagine that we could get it down to 3 minutes or less with the right rolling stock and signaling. Everything else is comparatively much easier.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Goes along with the likelihood that South Keys will be a sea of asphalt for most of our lives.
Truenorth- you're becoming as positive as Uhuniau.

There's a 12-storey building proposed nearby, and I fully expect to see a proposal for the area between the transit station and the cinema (and possibly including the cinema) any time now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Truenorth- you're becoming as positive as Uhuniau.
I'm far more sympathetic to his frustrations these days. This city seems to have a steady track record of talking more than building. And after over a decade here, it's starting to wear on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
There's a 12-storey building proposed nearby, and I fully expect to see a proposal for the area between the transit station and the cinema (and possibly including the cinema) any time now.
Cool. so like 3000 sq ft of asphalt will be developed over the next few years. Totally changes the character of the place....

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:

Cool. so like 3000 sq ft of asphalt will be developed over the next few years. Totally changes the character of the place....
Need to start somewhere.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 1:26 PM

Another place where I often walk unfortunately has many sq ft of asphalt.
Near the corner of Greenbank Rd. & Bateman Dr.
Should really be a park, but when parking is needed, parking has priority.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Another place where I often walk unfortunately has many sq ft of asphalt.
Near the corner of Greenbank Rd. & Bateman Dr.
Should really be a park, but when parking is needed, parking has priority.
Somebody tell Otto's BMW about the extra parking!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I'm far more sympathetic to his frustrations these days. This city seems to have a steady track record of talking more than building. And after over a decade here, it's starting to wear on me.
RIGHT??!?!?

But you know what? They aren't even "talking" any more, at least not "talking" in any ways, about any things, that would really fix the things that bug me about what passes for urbanism in Ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 3:21 PM

Better South Keys Centre project: Yes in my backyard

By Laura Gauthier on April 19, 2022
apt613

Why do big box retail malls look the way they do? Do they need to be that way? Can they become a neighbourhood hub instead of an endless sea of parking lots and shopping carts? Residents around Ottawa’s South Keys shopping centre think they can and should, and are working to make that happen.

Better South Keys Centre is advocating for the enhancement of the nearly 30-year-old strip mall, and with major development plans imminent, there seemed no better time to start. As the mall is practically in my backyard, I became involved with the group and wanted to share their story with Apt613 readers. Below is my conversation with Janet Mark Wallace, chair of the outreach committee, and Matt Pinder, the executive director.

Apt613: Tell us a bit about how a blog post turned into a community group.

Janet Mark Wallace: Matt Pinder is a transportation engineer who wrote a blog about the development plans as well as his re-envisioning of what it could be, and it really captured the attention and imagination of the neighbourhood—so much so that he organized two virtual public meetings last fall to discuss how they could get involved and have a say. There was enough momentum and interest that a core group of a dozen or so people formed, and it’s just been growing ever since.

Apt613: What’s so important about redeveloping South Keys Centre?

Matt Pinder: In many ways, the mall is like any other big-box strip mall in the city (or elsewhere), but one thing that makes it unique and has huge potential is that it’s bookended by two major stations along the Transitway and is part of the O-Train extension further south to the airport and Barrhaven. The retail landscape is changing (even before the pandemic but maybe more so now) and the potential of empty retail lots is staggering. It lies in the centre of several residential neighbourhoods, giving it the potential to become a hub for this part of the city.

Apt613: So what is planned for the redevelopment?

Matt Pinder: The initial phase sees residential towers being added in the area next to the South Keys transit station between the Wal-Mart and the Cineplex. A big swath of land in front of the transit station would be turned over to the city to become a transit plaza—a public space—which has so many exciting possibilities. Eventually, the entire area will be redeveloped. The owners, SmartCentresREIT, have already started doing this with similar properties like the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, but this is the first of its kind in Ottawa.

A rendering of the proposed development at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. Source: SmartCentres.

Apt613: Is this what we mean when we talk about intensification?

Janet Mark Wallace: Yes! There are no current residents in this area, so Better South Keys Centre can act as a de facto community association to advocate for future residents until that’s in place. We’re working closely with, and building relationships with, all sorts of stakeholders, including the surrounding existing community associations. We’re learning from them and drawing on their knowledge and history, and it helps us to come together as a single voice to advocate for this area.

There’s the potential to build a development that’s centred around active transportation and the transit that’s already right there. By better connecting it to the surrounding neighbourhoods, there’s potential to reduce car dependence and bring these communities closer together.

Apt613: What are some of the things that your group is advocating for in this development?

Matt Pinder: The area has the potential to be a vibrant and amenity-rich community that embraces active transportation and healthy living. It can be a regional hub for Ottawa South. We really want to see it be a neighbourhood where all life stages, income levels, and abilities are able to thrive. It should be an urban hub that prioritizes connections to nature, uses sustainable design, and incorporates a range of housing types.

The ideas provided by community members who attended the two public meetings.

Apt613: It’s only been a few months but you’ve been very active already. What sorts of things has the group undertaken?

Janet Mark Wallace: We’ve been able to do outreach with numerous community associations, stakeholders such as the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority (Sawmill Creek is a key feature in this area that needs to be considered), the architects, the developer, and various City departments, including OC Transpo. We also submitted a proposal to connect the nearby Greenboro multi-use pathway network to the mall as it currently ends about a kilometre away, but could make a huge difference for not only the existing neighbourhoods around the mall getting to retail and transit safely, but also for those future residents at South Keys Centre who will be sending their children to schools along these paths—so we felt it was important to start advocating for changes there now.

Apt613: Where can folks learn more about your work or get involved? Do they have to live nearby?

Janet Mark Wallace: There’s definitely no need to live nearby—this area is going to serve as a model for other mall developments across the city, so we know there’s interest from folks in areas like Lincoln Fields, Bayshore, and more. The more diverse voices that come together, the more positive influence we can generate.

The next best opportunity is at our first public event taking place on April 23. We’re holding a Spring Walk and Talk—a short walk around the property, beginning at South Keys transit station, where we’ll stop along the way to discuss various key points, plans, and potential for things like the public transit plaza, Sawmill Creek, retail, and the park and ride. We have guest speakers lined up for people to hear from experts in those areas. We already have quite a few who have RSVP’d but there’s always room for more!

https://apt613.ca/better-south-keys-...n-my-backyard/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 3:21 PM

Moderators, we have two South Keys threads:

This one: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...41#post9605341
And another from 2014: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ght=south+keys

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 2:20 PM

Better South Keys is having their one-year anniversary on Thursday. They will be discussing the successes of their first year as well as plans for upcoming years. They also have two people from Fotenn as guest speakers.

http://www.bettersouthkeys.ca/2022/1...rate-one-year/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues