HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 3:21 PM
Community Guy

Doh.

Love the deals to Asia via NRT.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
One thing to add is the Westjet flight leaves at 20:55. The KLM flight leaves quite early in the afternoon for a European flight. Depending on your connection in AMS or what you are doing before your flight in YYC that could be useful for different needs.
Personally, KL's flight time was brutal for me to try and sleep on, it's way too early. I like WS's time. I might like it less when I see my connection options in AMS

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
AC also removed it for S22, unfortunately.
I don't think it's coming back anytime soon then at this point.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Maybe a few years down the road. I'm honestly surprised to even see an Europe add this year (particularly since they still haven't launched the previously announced FCO). I'm assuming they got ad-hoc slots and figured it was worth utilizing them for half the summer.

Additionally the release mentions LGW, but doesn't say anything about CDG (which is still scheduled from August 5 as well). So I wonder if they'll fly to AMS over CDG this year?
Fair point. I guess it's a bit too early to have more expansion internationally for WS

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 9:33 PM

Condor filed its S22 flight schedule showing 2x weekly YYC-FRA on Tue / Fri. This means as of right now, there's two days a week with three flights to FRA.

Long haul S22 as of June 16/21:
AC LHR - 1x daily
AC FRA - 1x daily
WS LGW - 1x daily
WS CDG - 1x daily
WS DUB - 3x weekly
WS FCO - 3x weekly
LH FRA - 5x weekly
KL AMS - 1x daily
DE FRA - 2x weekly
WK ZRH - 2x weekly

WS AMS - TBD? So far it only looks like this is only scheduled August 5-November 1. Nothing in 2022 yet.

Edelweiss is still scheduled to resume in just 3 weeks time for S21! Kinda surprised this hasn't been killed yet.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Doh.

Love the deals to Asia via NRT.
Also one-stop interline connections thru NRT to destinations that will again require 2 stops. Lots of points in Asia but even more far-flung places like Cairns.

I don’t see AC bringing NRT back. Honestly we have a better chance of getting 3X weekly Delhi service with how huge the Canada-India market is becoming.

I could see WestJet giving Tokyo a try with seasonal service in either ‘22 or ‘23.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 3:12 PM

Remind me - it's possible to go domestic terminal, go to a lounge and then cross over to D gates for international, right? But it's a one way trip? You can't go back once you go to intl area.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
Remind me - it's possible to go domestic terminal, go to a lounge and then cross over to D gates for international, right? But it's a one way trip? You can't go back once you go to intl area.
Yes. But I think right now the D wing is being used for both domestic and international departures so you may be able to move back and forth through the B-C-D wings freely.

Curious if they'll be re-opening the A wing in the coming weeks with the increase in flying happening over the summer.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Yes. But I think right now the D wing is being used for both domestic and international departures so you may be able to move back and forth through the B-C-D wings freely.

Curious if they'll be re-opening the A wing in the coming weeks with the increase in flying happening over the summer.
D concourse was a ghost town for most of the pandemic but in recent weeks has really become alive again with the increase in domestic flights utilizing that area. The Starbucks is open, as is Chilis, but the Tim Hortons seems to be open only occasionally.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
D concourse was a ghost town for most of the pandemic but in recent weeks has really become alive again with the increase in domestic flights utilizing that area. The Starbucks is open, as is Chilis, but the Tim Hortons seems to be open only occasionally.
Wonder if its only open on days there is international flights. For a good chunk of the past 15 months, KLM has been the sole international flight.

It's kind of amusing it took them years to even put a Tim Hortons in concourse D and only a few months after it finally opens a global pandemic virtually kills most international traffic. I still don't think the one in the Transborder hall has opened yet.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Wonder if its only open on days there is international flights. For a good chunk of the past 15 months, KLM has been the sole international flight.

It's kind of amusing it took them years to even put a Tim Hortons in concourse D and only a few months after it finally opens a global pandemic virtually kills most international traffic. I still don't think the one in the Transborder hall has opened yet.
Winter sun season with 789 service to CUN and PVR will fill up concourse D and the simultaneous 789 service to OGG will fill up WS checkin areas.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Yes that's the way it works/worked for AC only flights. I don't think WS has a similar arrangement for their new Lounge on concourse B.

FYI, CATSA really doesn't like the AC lounge arrangement with international travelers using concourse C for international departures.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Winter sun season with 789 service to CUN and PVR will fill up concourse D and the simultaneous 789 service to OGG will fill up WS checkin areas.
I imagine concourse A should be open by then, and concourse D will be once again separated to just international only. WS also increased frequency to several winter destinations as well like HNL, LIR, VRA, LTO so at least the weekends should be very busy.

My hope is by December, people are back to complaining about the long walks to the 90 gates in Transborder.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:51 AM

Quote:
I imagine concourse A should be open by then, and concourse D will be once again separated to just international only. WS also increased frequency to several winter destinations as well like HNL, LIR, VRA, LTO so at least the weekends should be very busy.

My hope is by December, people are back to complaining about the long walks to the 90 gates in Transborder.
For historical reasons AC has the best domestic gate positions at YYC when it comes to international/transboarder connections. Wondering if with the pandemic WS encrochment on B and C concourse will result in WS being able to keep some of those prime domestic gates.

Given the crowing situation at WestJet lounge it is time YYC starts to look at trying to get American Express or Plaza Premium to start up a lounge in the YYC domestic area.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Yes that's the way it works/worked for AC only flights. I don't think WS has a similar arrangement for their new Lounge on concourse B.

FYI, CATSA really doesn't like the AC lounge arrangement with international travelers using concourse C for international departures.
I am generally indifferent to CATSA. They have a job to do and they usually do an ok job at it The one exception is YYC. The YYC CATSA people are just annoying.

I think both AC and WS need to be indifferent to them and push when they put up road blocks to lounge use. Especially in a case like this where it makes no difference. CASTA is not involved in people crossing over from domestic to international so why should they even have a say.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
For historical reasons AC has the best domestic gate positions at YYC when it comes to international/transboarder connections. Wondering if with the pandemic WS encrochment on B and C concourse will result in WS being able to keep some of those prime domestic gates.
My understanding is that post pandemic AC and WS will revert to their pre-pandemic gate assignments. WS owns a good chunk of the gates on concourse A and has near exclusive access to those gates. As mentioned, AC has historical contractual rights to all concourse C plus half of Concourse B gates.

For WS to permanently get onto concourse C, they would have to buyout AC.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 8:48 AM
G'day

Quote:
Edelweiss is still scheduled to resume in just 3 weeks time for S21! Kinda surprised this hasn't been killed yet.
Dumped ages ago. Still too early to predict anything in the next few months let alone summer 22. That’s why I’m refraining from posting anything.

Right now YYC longhaul in July has 2 weekly WS to LGW and 6 weekly KL. That’s it folks.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Dumped ages ago. Still too early to predict anything in the next few months let alone summer 22. That’s why I’m refraining from posting anything.

Right now YYC longhaul in July has 2 weekly WS to LGW and 6 weekly KL. That’s it folks.
Edelweiss removed its Canada flights last week (same day government announced the border extension), not ages ago. And 8 weekly flights to Europe is still pretty impressive despite foreigners still being denied entry. In July 2020 KLM was running a mere 2 weekly flights.

Some other notes:

DL has cancelled SEA indefinitely.
AC re-added PHX in August, 3x weekly CR9. There is a better chance of this happening over the constantly delayed FRA.

WS removed some inventory for CDG, hinting at once weekly flights? But who knows at this point.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
DL has cancelled SEA indefinitely.
Sigh. Want to bet WS picks it up with Encore. Yay, two E175 carriers on that route now back to DH4s.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 7:01 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Sigh. Want to bet WS picks it up with Encore. Yay, two E175 carriers on that route now back to DH4s.
This really sucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure