HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
hold up hold up.. that's going to be a permanent fixture?
You can see it in the cities conceptual render here:

And also in the winning team's design here:

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 1:27 AM

Looks like it will be covered in some way. Interesting. Definitely like the colour.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 1:33 AM

Going back through some of the proposals, I still find the lack of commercial along the waterfront unfortunate. It would be amazing to have restaurants, ice cream shops, cafes filled with patios looking out at the water. Instead they're all facing in to the city, and this will all be residential. I'm hoping as each block begins, there may some changes to the arrangement of the residential and commercial.

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:55 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Going back through some of the proposals, I still find the lack of commercial along the waterfront unfortunate. It would be amazing to have restaurants, ice cream shops, cafes filled with patios looking out at the water. Instead they're all facing in to the city, and this will all be residential. I'm hoping as each block begins, there may some changes to the arrangement of the residential and commercial.
Can't have sound that carries across the water. It would be deafening to those multi-million dollar properties along Oaklands Park Court and North Shore Blvd.

Nice to see the progress of the promenade though. We will enjoy that immensely!

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:27 PM

in the greater context of the development it's not as bad as I initially thought it was seeing that component on it's own... still don't love it though.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:42 PM

I hope it doesn't stay bright yellow

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:26 PM

I definitely originally thought it was going to be more dirty orange from the renders.

Would have been kind of cool for them to include stairs so you could get a good view.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Just to clarify, those are not functional cranes, right? It's art?

If so, it is certainly an attention-grabber. Attractive in a post-industrial way. But they do kind of loom over the property somewhat. Does it hang over the promenade that surrounds the pier? I'll have to see it in person but I'm not sure how comfortable a feeling it might be to walk under those cranes.
Either way, it's great to see progress down at the pier. Most exciting project in the City in years.
Good point, considering in every other context you're very specifically supposed to not walk under cranes

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 2:32 PM

My biggest fear with the waterfront is that once all the features and lighting and extras are installed that it gets the John/Rebecca treatment and they finish it in asphalt.
I'm happy with the industrial look tbh and I believe there is supposed to be a floating stage as well at this location. Sit under the crane and take in a performance on the floating stage. One day. Screw you Covid!

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post

Can't understand why this looks like you can drive all the way down the pier and turn around. I hope thats not the case but curbs would suggest that.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 1:48 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I would guess it’s either for transit or delivery purposes?

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:20 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
My biggest fear with the waterfront is that once all the features and lighting and extras are installed that it gets the John/Rebecca treatment and they finish it in asphalt.
I'd fear more that a child (or some doofus, like this fine gentleman who later tried to get nominated to run in a federal election) may climb onto one of the curved steel structures and get injured... but I presume they've got a risk mitigation plan in place for this, given the previous experience with the tobogganing incident.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:24 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Can't understand why this looks like you can drive all the way down the pier and turn around. I hope thats not the case but curbs would suggest that.
Perhaps it's just the design.

Even if it's just meant to be a pedestrian/cycling path, there would be need for emergency vehicles to have access, and probably city/utility service vehicles.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 4:53 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I'd fear more that a child (or some doofus, like this fine gentleman who later tried to get nominated to run in a federal election) may climb onto one of the curved steel structures and get injured... but I presume they've got a risk mitigation plan in place for this, given the previous experience with the tobogganing incident.
He eventually won the Hamilton Mountain nomination in 2019, as well. I believe I remember reading that he's also declared that he'll seek it in the next election as well.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 4:28 PM

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 7:13 PM
Ham-burgher

More from the Spec... text contains some key excerpts:

Under construction: a new Hamilton waterfront emerging
Matthew Van Dongen
The Hamilton Spectator
Wed., June 9, 2021

Video Link

Copps’ Pier

This 30-metre-wide, $6-million public promenade will line the north and east shore walls of Pier 8 and provide a green play space for both harbour visitors and eventual residents of the condos planned for the former industrial pier.

There will be green space, pavilions and playgrounds — some of which you can see taking shape now within a series of artistic metal “ship hull” designs along the water. You can also see artist renderings on the project website — but you shouldn’t have to wait long for the real thing.

The city is still on track to open the promenade by the end of the summer, said waterfront project lead Chris Phillips.

Waterfront Shores Pier 8 community

The streets and bus stops are already roughed in for a long-planned neighbourhood of 1,500 condos, apartments and townhouses on Pier 8 — but you’ll be using the surrounding park long before you see any new homes built.

The city only recently finalized its agreement with development consortium Waterfront Shores, a process that was delayed in part by a long-running tribunal appeal by North End residents over the planned pier makeover.

The consortium hopes to launch presales and provide more project information this fall, said Joe Valela, a principal with consortium partner Tercot Communities. Visible condo construction is likely still a year or two away.

Discovery Centre

The city has pledged to start a public process this year to determine the long-term fate of the centre...

But in the meantime, the city hopes to “animate” the former restaurant’s waterfront patio with temporary food or entertainment options this summer...

A Pier 8 tower?

The city agreed in 2019 to consider zoning changes to allow tall buildings on one block of its planned Pier 8 residential development to settle a legal appeal of the project by a citizen group. The maximum now on the pier is eight storeys.

Waterfront Shores architect and former North Ender Bruce Kuwabara has pitched the idea of a 45-storey “signature tower” on the harbour, but council has yet to consider the idea — and we’re likely months away from a vote.

The next step will see an updated “urban guidelines” study come to councillors, likely within the coming three months.

For sale: waterfront property

The city put four small development blocks up for sale between Piers 5 and 7 last year in the hopes of attracting eventual new restaurants, retail or even a boutique hotel to its reimagined waterfront.

Phillips said the city has attracted interest and “discussions are happening,” but so far the available acreage — which includes the former police marine unit pier and an empty concrete dock near James Street — remains in city hands...

More public pier access

The Hamilton Waterfront Trust is also chipping away at the city’s overarching waterfront master plan, which calls for new boardwalks and bridge links between public pier areas this year.

Macassa Bay

The Hamilton police marine unit has moved into a temporary new home in Macassa Bay, replacing a former private marina and repair business on the eastern end. (The Macassa Bay yacht club remains to the west.) The city is also working on shoreline protection plans for the little bay, but work is not expected to start this year.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 4:24 PM

I went for a long night ride last night and discovered a few things along the waterfront. The construction fence at Pier 8, (Copps Pier Park) just happened to be open so I went in and they are laying pavers. The area between the water and the pumping station is all done and they are moving east from there. They are maybe 8' x 24' and about 4' thick and a red brown colour, They look really nice to me. Got a close up look at the gentry crane structure. It's pretty huge up close. I'm even more excited for this to open to the public. The short road at pier 5 or 6 is a service road for boat access and fuel delivery. That area is also open but still under construction. There was quite alot of people down there. I've got a feeling this might be one of the things Hamilton has gotten right.
Well done IMO.

Last edited by Crapht; Jun 13, 2021 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 5:51 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I've got a feeling this might be one of the things Hamilton has gotten right.
Well done IMO.
I think the city has generally done a terrific job with the west harbour, going back to the opening of Bayfront and Pier 4 parks in 1993. They're passive spaces compared to what's being done along piers 5 to 8, but really served to give the harbour waterfront back to area residents. I can't imagine the city without those parks now.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 7:45 PM

Yes. I would have to agree. The Hamilton waterfront is a jewel for sure. We are lucky to have it and I can’t really complain. I will take the trail from Princess Point all the way Pier 8 one way or the other quite often. With the shops and restaurants opening up now it will be less crowded down there for sure. I don’t mind a crowd but there were times recently where I avoided the waterfront because it was like the mall. Copps pier is going to be a very social space. I like it. Can’t wait for that midrise development.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 2:57 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues