HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 9:56 PM

I assume based on the size and poor parking situation at the 36th street that one would be replaced.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 10:02 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I assume based on the size and poor parking situation at the 36th street that one would be replaced.
Interesting since that one replaced a store half a mile down the road at 32nd Street & Thomas. Home Depot seems to be going through a store every decade.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Interesting since that one replaced a store half a mile down the road at 32nd Street & Thomas. Home Depot seems to be going through a store every decade.
I've never understood how they can make it work, but there's not only been a couple of Home Depots less than 2 1/2 miles apart in Chandler for over 25 years(Chandler Pavilions & Warner/Kyrene), but there's a Lowe's less than a 1/2 mile from the HD at the Pavilions.

I honestly think the Indian School Home Dept would work. My opinion is that it'd be safer than the Thomas location, so more of a draw for some. The Thomas location has had consistent LE issues for a long time.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 5:35 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Interesting article about a neighborhood activist keeping a Home Depot store out of the Loma Linda neighborhood, which is around 20th Street and Indian School. I'm no fan of big box stores, but the activist profiled sounds almost sociopathic in this quote:

“The guy who owns that complex really wanted the sale,” she said, then shook her head. “He was really happy about the money he was going to make, and when I shut down the Home Depot sale, I know I really wrecked his day.”

My biggest question is why would Home Depot be looking at this site in the first place since the existing store at 36th Street and Thomas is not much more than a mile away -- unless of course they were planning to abandon the Thomas store once the new one opened.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...linda-11331098
Zoning big box across a neighborhood street from single family is a bad idea. It's not even anyone's definition of infill, it's de-denisification and suburbanization. It would have also killed surrounding land values, and I'm glad it's not going in.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-11-19n.pdf

Imagine the 31 foot high ass end of a box in that neighborhood off Fairmount.

And maybe she is a sociopath but this development was equally proposed without regard for their neighborhood. And it's not like the developer is going to have a hard time marketing townhomes or something else that would be appropriate for the site.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 12:27 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

And maybe she is a sociopath but this development was equally proposed without regard for their neighborhood. And it's not like the developer is going to have a hard time marketing townhomes or something else that would be appropriate for the site.
Without seeing her face and hearing her tone as she made these remarks, it's hard to know for sure. Something about her wording, though, suggests not even the slightest tinge of guilt that her actions deprived the property owner of the exercise of his rights and may have thwarted his financial plans. I'm not saying she should not have opposed the Home Depot. I probably would have opposed it myself if I had been in her shoes. I'm just saying that not everyone who owns land is a greedy out-of-state developer (to use the terms of demonization favored by many anti-development activists). Maybe it's someone who owns a small apartment complex and was banking on the eventual sale of the land to fund his retirement. In any case, I didn't see any comments about working with the land owner to find a more appropriate project for the site. She seems committed to keeping things as they are in her neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 12:56 PM

I don't post here often but follow the Phoenix Development Thread. I didn't see anyone posting this news so if you have, please don't rip me a new one. The Phoenix Business Journal had a small article to wit: "Rastegar Property Co bought a .61 acre parcel at Fourth Avenue and Van Buren with plans to build a high rise that has the potential to be the State's tallest bulding. The firm spent $2.31M on the parcel. Potential types for the property are still up in the air, Restegar said, but it will be a mixed used building. The site's zoning allows a building up to 550 feet, he said. If Rastegar's building reached that height, it would be the tallest building in the state, passing the Chase Tower, the current record holder, at 483 feet." We just might get our new tallest guys!

Stan Clark

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveithigh View Post
I don't post here often but follow the Phoenix Development Thread. I didn't see anyone posting this news so if you have, please don't rip me a new one. The Phoenix Business Journal had a small article to wit: "Rastegar Property Co bought a .61 acre parcel at Fourth Avenue and Van Buren with plans to build a high rise that has the potential to be the State's tallest bulding. The firm spent $2.31M on the parcel. Potential types for the property are still up in the air, Restegar said, but it will be a mixed used building. The site's zoning allows a building up to 550 feet, he said. If Rastegar's building reached that height, it would be the tallest building in the state, passing the Chase Tower, the current record holder, at 483 feet." We just might get our new tallest guys!
This has already been discussed. If you don't post often that's fine but at least read please!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:30 PM
Modulator

An article on AZ Central regarding a potential high-rise with the South convention center renovation, but AZ Central must've figured out how to block viewing in incognito mode. Does anyone have access to the article?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...nt/1740768001/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
An article on AZ Central regarding a potential high-rise with the South convention center renovation, but AZ Central must've figured out how to block viewing in incognito mode. Does anyone have access to the article?

Took one for the team and made an account. Here ya go.

Phoenix is considering selling part of the Phoenix Convention Center to make way for a major private development on one of the most prominent pieces of real estate in downtown. Officials have been toying with the idea of selling the south building of the convention center for more than a year. Later this summer, they plan to host a series of community meetings to see what convention attendees and nearby residents think of the idea.

Developer got council thinking

In late 2017, international developer Hines submitted a proposal to the city asking to purchase five city-owned parcels, including the south hall. It wanted to create an entertainment and cultural district with office, retail, cultural amenities and more. Days after the proposal became public, a City Council subcommittee said the city needed to re-evaluate its convention center plans before moving forward.

Hines withdrew its proposal.

Text messages obtained by The Arizona Republic show that representatives of the developer have continued to meet with council members and city department heads to discuss the proposal. Other major developers are expected to make a bid on the land, too, if the council decides to move forward with redevelopment.

Convention expansion not possible

Phoenix built the north and west buildings of the convention center in the early 2000s as part of a $600 million expansion. Those buildings are north of Washington Street between Second and Fifth streets and connected underground and by an aerial bridge. This prompted the city to start looking at other plans for the building. The south building has about 143,000 square feet of rentable space and is booked 218 days a year, Chan told a council subcommittee in May. The majority of the events held in the south building are smaller local events, such as dance tournaments, bridal expos and local association meetings. It's unclear if the remaining convention center buildings have the capacity to absorb all of these events if the south building is redeveloped. Chan said the south building center generates about $2 million a year in direct revenue and costs about $1 million to operate. It provides an additional $1 million economic impact from convention attendees and exhibitors who spend money in and around the convention center, he said. The south building spreads across more than nine acres between Washington and Jefferson streets and Third and Fifth streets. The site is considered a "super block" as it is twice as large as a normal city block. It is slightly larger than CityScape, a high-rise, mixed-use development just a few blocks to the west. That development brings in $6 million in revenue to the city annually, Community and Economic Development Director Chris Mackay said.

Council members tried to rush process

After Chan and Mackay's presentation at the May meeting, some members of the City Council said they wanted to issue a formal request for proposals immediately, which would allow developers to start submitting their ideas for the land. Councilman Michael Nowakowski and then-Councilwoman Felicita Mendoza said they wanted to issue the request before the council's summer break, which began July 3, so they could select a developer quickly when they returned to work. Nowakowski said he wanted to look at the south building as a "business opportunity." He said replacing it with a development that rivals CityScape would mean more revenue for the city. But other council members and city staffers encouraged the council to conduct community outreach before they opened up the land for developer proposals. Councilwoman Laura Pastor said the city needed to conduct public meetings before moving forward on the south building to see whether the community wants the convention center redeveloped and, if so, what they'd like to see on the prominent piece of land. She said she believed the push to move so quickly was "driven by a developer's agenda," seemingly referring to Hines. According to text messages and emails obtained by The Republic through a public records request, Hines representatives were meeting with council members leading up to the May meeting.

In an interview in July, Hines' Phoenix-based zoning attorney Nick Wood confirmed that Hines was encouraging the council to move quickly and issue a formal request for proposals prior to its two-month summer break. But, he said he understands why the council wanted to slow the process to allow time for public input. Hines Senior Managing Director Chris Anderson said in a statement, "We are supportive of the city process and if they choose to issue a redevelopment proposal, we will evaluate the opportunity."

Houston-based Hines has developed some high-profile projects in the Valley, including the former corporate headquarters of U.S. Airways in downtown Tempe and the mixed-use project on the southwest corner of 24th Street and Camelback Road near the Biltmore in Phoenix.
Wood is one of the most prolific zoning attorneys in Phoenix. He's responsible for many of the high-rise developments downtown, including the planned 1.1 million-square-foot project, approved by the council earlier this year, that will replace the Phoenix Central Station between the Van Buren Street light rail platforms.

Hines is still interested

Text messages and emails show that Wood and Steve Betts, a local developer who was working with Hines on the proposal, have continued discussions with the council and department heads about the proposal.
In an April 5 text message, just weeks after Mayor Kate Gallego was inaugurated, Wood followed up on a meeting he had with Gallego and Betts about the Hines proposal.

"If you have some time today or even over the weekend, I'd like to get on the phone with you for a few minutes and distill this down to its basic parts. That way you can make an informed decision on whether you want to go forward with the RFP," Woods texted Gallego.

She did not respond.

In April, Betts was also intermittently texting Pastor and Councilwoman Debra Stark about the project.

"It seems that maybe I have failed to get city leaders to see and want enough a great placemaking street like many cities have," Betts texted Stark in April. "I truly thought this win-win-win-win for my city easily warranted the need to work out department staff's natural institutional issues/concerns, and to sell it to community groups."
It appears that these texts came after earlier meetings Betts had with Pastor and Stark. In February, Betts texted Mackay, the city's economic development director, updates on those meetings. "I'll catch you up on Laura's thoughts whenever you call later today," Betts texted Mackay on Feb. 10. Later that day, he texted her again, asking "Did Laura seem to concur with my read of our chat?"Mackay didn't respond.

"My chat with Deb went very well. Maybe you or I can encourage (City Manager Ed Zuercher) to chat with her before your meeting Tues," Betts texted on Feb. 16. Mackay didn't respond to the question but said she'd call Betts later that week.

Other proposals likely

If the council decides to move forward with redevelopment, Hines likely will not be the only developer interested in the land.But it likely will be the developer that had the most time to work on a proposal, given its early attempt at securing the land in 2017 and continued conversations with council members.

Could that give the Hines project a leg up?

Wood said no, because Hines' initial proposal was public and any other developer could have seen it and started hashing out its own proposal. "Because it was public, any other developer who has had an interest in this I'm certain has been working on their own plans the whole time in anticipation that a formal (request) will be issued," Wood said. He said Hines plans to attend the community meetings and refine its proposal to match community needs.

Community meetings
• July 24, 8:30 a.m., Helen Drake Community Center, 7600 N. 27th Ave. Parking available at the community center.
• July 31, 10 a.m., Phoenix Convention Center West Building, Room 211 A & B, 100 N. Third St. Parking available at West Garage on the southeast corner of 2nd and Monroe streets.
•Aug. 7, 5:30 p.m., Broadway Heritage Resource Center, 2405 E. Broadway Road. Parking available at the resource center.
•Aug. 15, 1 p.m., Phoenix Convention Center West Building, Room 211 A & B, 100 N. Third St. Parking available at West Garage on the southeast corner of 2nd and Monroe streets.
•Aug. 19, 5 p.m., Phoenix City Hall, Assembly Rooms A & B, 200 W. Washington St. Parking available at the 305 Garage, 305 W. Washington St.
•Aug. 21, 9 a.m., Public open house tour of PCC South Building, (meet in lobby), 33 S. Third St. Parking at East Garage, 601 E. Washington St.
•Aug. 21, 5 p.m., Phoenix Convention Center West Building, Room 211 A & B, 100 N. Third St. Parking available at West Garage on the southeast corner of 2nd and Monroe streets.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:37 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:

Here you go

Quote:
Phoenix is considering selling part of the Phoenix Convention Center to make way for a major private development on one of the most prominent pieces of real estate in downtown.

Officials have been toying with the idea of selling the south building of the convention center for more than a year. Later this summer, they plan to host a series of community meetings to see what convention attendees and nearby residents think of the idea.

Developer got council thinking

In late 2017, international developer Hines submitted a proposal to the city asking to purchase five city-owned parcels, including the south hall. It wanted to create an entertainment and cultural district with office, retail, cultural amenities and more.

Days after the proposal became public, a City Council subcommittee said the city needed to re-evaluate its convention center plans before moving forward.

Hines withdrew its proposal.

Text messages obtained by The Arizona Republic show that representatives of the developer have continued to meet with council members and city department heads to discuss the proposal.

Other major developers are expected to make a bid on the land, too, if the council decides to move forward with redevelopment.

Convention expansion not possible

Phoenix built the north and west buildings of the convention center in the early 2000s as part of a $600 million expansion. Those buildings are north of Washington Street between Second and Fifth streets and connected underground and by an aerial bridge.

At the time, the city planned to expand the north building underground to connect with the existing south building, which was built in 1985. But the economic downturn dried up funds.

Today, an underground connection is no longer possible for a number of reasons, including light rail's existence on Washington Street, according to John Chan, Phoenix Convention Center director.

This prompted the city to start looking at other plans for the building.

The south building has about 143,000 square feet of rentable space and is booked 218 days a year, Chan told a council subcommittee in May.

The majority of the events held in the south building are smaller local events, such as dance tournaments, bridal expos and local association meetings. It's unclear if the remaining convention center buildings have the capacity to absorb all of these events if the south building is redeveloped.

Chan said the south building center generates about $2 million a year in direct revenue and costs about $1 million to operate. It provides an additional $1 million economic impact from convention attendees and exhibitors who spend money in and around the convention center, he said.

The south building spreads across more than nine acres between Washington and Jefferson streets and Third and Fifth streets.

The site is considered a "super block" as it is twice as large as a normal city block. It is slightly larger than CityScape, a high-rise, mixed-use development just a few blocks to the west. That development brings in $6 million in revenue to the city annually, Community and Economic Development Director Chris Mackay said.

Council members tried to rush process

After Chan and Mackay's presentation at the May meeting, some members of the City Council said they wanted to issue a formal request for proposals immediately, which would allow developers to start submitting their ideas for the land.

Councilman Michael Nowakowski and then-Councilwoman Felicita Mendoza said they wanted to issue the request before the council's summer break, which began July 3, so they could select a developer quickly when they returned to work.

Nowakowski said he wanted to look at the south building as a "business opportunity." He said replacing it with a development that rivals CityScape would mean more revenue for the city.

But other council members and city staffers encouraged the council to conduct community outreach before they opened up the land for developer proposals.

Councilwoman Laura Pastor said the city needed to conduct public meetings before moving forward on the south building to see whether the community wants the convention center redeveloped and, if so, what they'd like to see on the prominent piece of land.

She said she believed the push to move so quickly was "driven by a developer's agenda," seemingly referring to Hines.

According to text messages and emails obtained by The Republic through a public records request, Hines representatives were meeting with council members leading up to the May meeting.

In an interview in July, Hines' Phoenix-based zoning attorney Nick Wood confirmed that Hines was encouraging the council to move quickly and issue a formal request for proposals prior to its two-month summer break. But, he said he understands why the council wanted to slow the process to allow time for public input.

Hines Senior Managing Director Chris Anderson said in a statement, "We are supportive of the city process and if they choose to issue a redevelopment proposal, we will evaluate the opportunity."

Houston-based Hines has developed some high-profile projects in the Valley, including the former corporate headquarters of U.S. Airways in downtown Tempe and the mixed-use project on the southwest corner of 24th Street and Camelback Road near the Biltmore in Phoenix.

Wood is one of the most prolific zoning attorneys in Phoenix. He's responsible for many of the high-rise developments downtown, including the planned 1.1 million-square-foot project, approved by the council earlier this year, that will replace the Phoenix Central Station between the Van Buren Street light rail platforms.

Hines is still interested

Text messages and emails show that Wood and Steve Betts, a localdeveloper who was working with Hines on the proposal, have continued discussions with the council and department heads about the proposal.

In an April 5 text message, just weeks after Mayor Kate Gallego was inaugurated, Wood followed up on a meeting he had with Gallego and Betts about the Hines proposal.

"If you have some time today or even over the weekend, I'd like to get on the phone with you for a few minutes and distill this down to its basic parts. That way you can make an informed decision on whether you want to go forward with the RFP," Woods texted Gallego.

She did not respond.

In April, Betts was also intermittently texting Pastor and Councilwoman Debra Stark about the project.

"It seems that maybe I have failed to get city leaders to see and want enough a great placemaking street like many cities have," Betts texted Stark in April. "I truly thought this win-win-win-win for my city easily warranted the need to work out department staff's natural institutional issues/concerns, and to sell it to community groups."

It appears that these texts came after earlier meetings Betts had with Pastor and Stark.

In February, Betts texted Mackay, the city's economic development director, updates on those meetings.

"I'll catch you up on Laura's thoughts whenever you call later today," Betts texted Mackay on Feb. 10.

Later that day, he texted her again, asking "Did Laura seem to concur with my read of our chat?"

Mackay didn't respond.

"My chat with Deb went very well. Maybe you or I can encourage (City Manager Ed Zuercher) to chat with her before your meeting Tues," Betts texted on Feb. 16.

Mackay didn't respond to the question but said she'd call Betts later that week.

Other proposals likely

If the council decides to move forward with redevelopment, Hines likely will not be the only developer interested in the land.

But it likely will be the developer that had the most time to work on a proposal, given its early attempt at securing the land in 2017 and continued conversations with council members.

Could that give the Hines project a leg up?

Wood said no, because Hines' initial proposal was public and any other developer could have seen it and started hashing out its own proposal.

"Because it was public, any other developer who has had an interest in this I'm certain has been working on their own plans the whole time in anticipation that a formal (request) will be issued," Wood said.

He said Hines plans to attend the community meetings and refine its proposal to match community needs.

Community meetings

July 24, 8:30 a.m., Helen Drake Community Center, 7600 N. 27th Ave. Parking available at the community center.

July 31, 10 a.m., Phoenix Convention Center West Building, Room 211 A & B, 100 N. Third St. Parking available at West Garage on the southeast corner of 2nd and Monroe streets.

Aug. 7, 5:30 p.m., Broadway Heritage Resource Center, 2405 E. Broadway Road. Parking available at the resource center.

Aug. 15, 1 p.m., Phoenix Convention Center West Building, Room 211 A & B, 100 N. Third St. Parking available at West Garage on the southeast corner of 2nd and Monroe streets.

Aug. 19, 5 p.m., Phoenix City Hall, Assembly Rooms A & B, 200 W. Washington St. Parking available at the 305 Garage, 305 W. Washington St.

Aug. 21, 9 a.m., Public open house tour of PCC South Building, (meet in lobby), 33 S. Third St. Parking at East Garage, 601 E. Washington St.

Aug. 21, 5 p.m., Phoenix Convention Center West Building, Room 211 A & B, 100 N. Third St. Parking available at West Garage on the southeast corner of 2nd and Monroe streets.

Reach the reporter at jessica.boehm@gannett.com or 480-694-1823. Follow her on Twitter @jboehm_NEWS.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:38 PM
METRO: Encanto

Tie goes to the runner

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:40 PM

I'll provide the follow up:

After all of the community meetings and the City's/council's foot dragging, an RFP is finally issued in the middle of next year. By the end of next year the RFP closes. By the early part of 2021 the winner is selected. After a few months of negotiations the plans come out (in approximately Summer of 2021). After that nothing happens, the end.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I'll provide the follow up:

After all of the community meetings and the City's/council's foot dragging, an RFP is finally issued in the middle of next year. By the end of next year the RFP closes. By the early part of 2021 the winner is selected. After a few months of negotiations the plans come out (in approximately Summer of 2021). After that nothing happens, the end.
Yea. There seems to be a lot of non-replying to Hines text messages to city council members which is really disappointing. You have a developer that's really ready and wanting to go on with something that could potentially be stellar and the city council members are ignoring their messages?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:

Use the Brave browser - then block everything from AZ Central - you can browse it w/o being annoyed.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 7:02 PM

Hopefully uploading the pic alright. But this pic is from Hines office on 24th st and Camelback. Snapped it a couple months back. It appears there is model on the convention center site. Again I dont know how serious the chances of any of this pans out, but thought it would be cool to share what I saw. https://i.imgur.com/r47TqAn.png

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito714 View Post
Hopefully uploading the pic alright. But this pic is from Hines office on 24th st and Camelback. Snapped it a couple months back. It appears there is model on the convention center site. Again I dont know how serious the chances of any of this pans out, but thought it would be cool to share what I saw. https://i.imgur.com/r47TqAn.png
^ Nice find!

How did AZCentral obtain those text messages? Pretty creepy IMO...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Well this seems hugely ambitious with 5 total new towers from hines
1. Huge building (stack of boxes ) likely hotel/residential
2. Hines Colliers Condo tower, this seems like the only likely to be built at this time
3. Uknown
4. Uknown
5. Uknown

1,3, 4 and 5 all appear to be built on either the former south convention center or on the backside of the north convention building facing 5th street where the current loading area is. I Suppose they could engineer some sort of cantilever for buildings to go up there over and around the loading ramps but that seems extremely expensive for a Downtown with plenty of available cheap land to develop... who knows. Id love for all this to happen obviously but much like the Indian School/Central project it seems a bit to ambitious.

Also whats with the supersize residential for block 23?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Yea. There seems to be a lot of non-replying to Hines text messages to city council members which is really disappointing. You have a developer that's really ready and wanting to go on with something that could potentially be stellar and the city council members are ignoring their messages?
I wouldn't assume that these went ignored. The same FOIA requests that got these texts out there would have gotten any response. I'm sure that conversations happened in person individually in a way that can't be FOIA'd and that doesn't violate meetings laws. Lawyers are everywhere.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
If the scale of the model is correct, and hines tower is 25 stories, this proposal looks to be at least 40 stories. Perfect site for a new supertall.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
If the scale of the model is correct, and hines tower is 25 stories, this proposal looks to be at least 40 stories. Perfect site for a new supertall.
So are we now referring to anything over 40 stories in Phoenix as a 'supertall' when everywhere else that means 1000'+?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest